• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldfoot

Banned
A blue car is one of the classiest things around. Wtf are you smoking?

Anyway:

08-2013-bmw-m6-fd.jpg

Video: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/22/2013-bmw-m6-coupe-first-drive-review-video/

I am not a fan of that backend. The front I really like, but the backend is just too Bangle.

Too big for a coupe...

N-Bomb

Remember when I suggested a red of some sort, or white? And now you are considering one of the colors I advised, despite being "wrong". lol!

What I 'remember' is this, in response to a red one I posted:

All those are horribly rice-y. I don't care if you are going to spend 324040404 dollars on this to make it awesome under the hood - all of these make it look like 30 clowns are going to get out of it when it stops. At least dignify it with a decent paint job.

So difficult to choose. Thinking that depending on the colour, body-colour wheels would be sharp.

Flo_Evans

Dead serious. Bright gaudy "unique" colors, especially on something like an Sti just make you look like an idiot boy racer.

That scheme is even worse than the rally blue...

No offense to anyone ( I would love an STi) but it is an idiot boy racer car. That's the whole appeal. If you want a refined grown up car get a BMW or an Audi.

sfedai0

Banned
No offense to anyone ( I would love an STi) but it is an idiot boy racer car. That's the whole appeal. If you want a refined grown up car get a BMW or an Audi.

And be like everyone else? Too predictable. They just dont make cars like they used to. Every car now is just bloated and rotund. I like the steps Subaru and Toyota has taken with their BRZ/FRS platform.

N-Bomb

Yeah, with giant white STI STI decals on the front and black-as-night wheels, ugly orange lights.

I'm reading nothing but excuses.

Anyway, here are some options for red:

Torch Red (Chevy)
lqzMN.jpg

Rosso Scuderia (Ferrari)
ETlRC.jpg

Redline (Dodge)
qDbYm.jpg

Rosso Andromeda (Lambo)
NpGMv.jpg

Rosso Siviglia (Lambo)
OVEpv.jpg

Red Hot (Holden)
ub97Y.jpg

Guards Red (Porsche)
7soGx.jpg

Lightning Red (Subaru)
jMMEI.jpg

Myself, I really like Lighting Red, Torch Red, and Rosso Siviglia in that order.

TylerD

Myself, I really like Lighting Red, Torch Red, and Rosso Siviglia in that order.

I am a big fan of the Lightning Red as well. It is my 2nd choice behind the Satin White Pearl in a BRZ and I might change my mind when I see a red one in person.

6960366629_233d3e9eaa_b.jpg

so after months and months of looking for an S2000, I finally picked one up.
It was my 2nd choice in color after GPW, got New Formula Red on black interior. AP1, 1 owner, never modded, no accidents, all VIN tags present, and best of all:

gPl0J.jpg

13k miles!
Had to jump on it since almost every S2000 I've been looking at is either salvaged or has some "story" to it.

doing a full fluid flush soon, upgrading valve retainers to AP2, new tires.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
It was my 2nd choice in color after GPW, got New Formula Red on black interior. AP1, 1 owner, never modded, no accidents, all VIN tags present, and best of all:

gPl0J.jpg

13k miles!

TylerD

gPl0J.jpg

13k miles!

Congrats! I had an opportunity to get a 02 GPW on red interior with 23k several months a go but decided against it due to not wanting two cars.

Your car sounds like quite the find.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yes, its so not-loud and so goddamned subaru's color that EVERY wannabe with a non-STi wrx-done-to-look-like-an-STi paints his this color, and every actual STi driver gets theirs in this color, but do you ever see any other subarus in Rally blue? Ever see a legacy or outback or whatnot done up like this? Hardly ever. Nope, just racerguy STis and fake STis. I'm sorry. It's boyish. It's loud. It screams for attention. Yuck. You don't have to paint it silver or grey or whatever boring overused color, but you also don't have to make it look like a box of crayola either.

To be honest, I totally agree with this. It's rather silly for N-Bomb to deny it anyways; he's pretty much building a boy racer car. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.

gPl0J.jpg

13k miles!
Had to jump on it since almost every S2000 I've been looking at is either salvaged or has some "story" to it.

Good lord that's amazing! Congrats my man! Any plans for it?

N-Bomb

13k miles!

Good job dude! May I ask how much you scored it for? And for some exterior pics. ;D

To be honest, I totally agree with this. It's rather silly for N-Bomb to deny it anyways; he's pretty much building a boy racer car. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.

I'll bite. What you're talking about is image. One thing I couldn't give less of a crap about. I'm building a car that's going to go like stink and be a hell of a lot of fun. And that's the entire point - fun.

What IS this boy racer thing you mention, anyway? Is a stock Civic a boy racer car? What about a Civic SI? A Mini Cooper? What about a Camaro? Certainly not a Ferrari. An Ariel Atom? What about an 60s Mustang? Why not an M3, or an S4, or a 90s Impala SS? Why not a decommissioned Crown Vic police package? And let's say for a moment that this term HAS meaning - what's wrong with being associated with it? (although I am not associating myself with it)

You can maintain that being all reserved and 'classy', staid and boring is a great goal, and if that's important to you, I hope you enjoy yourself. However if being able to pass other cars on the highway with great vigor, while reclined within a posh livingroom is all you need in a car to feel manly and sporty, then I kind of pity that you're a little dead inside.

As Circle T said, WRB is not Impreza-exclusive - it was on the Forester, and is on the BRZ.

If you want me to spend some time, I'll also look up a bunch of other cars available in a bright blue - the Corvette and PT Cruiser are two that immediately come to mind. I know the Focus had a blue, and various other GM cars. My dad's CRV is in a darker shade of a metallic blue. It's hardly a jackass colour.

Don't confuse a car that doesn't look like wallpaper with silly teenage antics and mindless redneckery.

I choose my cars to compliment, not to compensate.

Good lord that's amazing! Congrats my man! Any plans for it?

Thanks. I've been away from my car since I got it. Gotta clean out my garage and make room for it while the car is in storage.

Other than the full fluid flush and AP2 valve retainer upgrade, I've got some stuff lined up such as: KW V3 coilovers, SPC camber joints, half-shaft spacers, bump steer kit, front oem lip, Mugen hard top, probably some Hawk HPS pads/rotors/ss lines. Not sure on exhaust yet or other engine mods. I think the motor is completely fine, no need for a supercharger/turbo set up.

Wheels are the big mystery for me right now. I want to keep it a little old school and go the Regamaster route as cliche as that sounds. I even wanted some SSR Formula mesh, but they are tough to find in the right size with the right looking face.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Good job dude! May I ask how much you scored it for? And for some exterior pics. ;D

I'll bite. What you're talking about is image. One thing I couldn't give less of a crap about. I'm building a car that's going to go like stink and be a hell of a lot of fun. And that's the entire point - fun.

What IS this boy racer thing you mention, anyway? Is a stock Civic a boy racer car? What about a Civic SI? A Mini Cooper? What about a Camaro? Certainly not a Ferrari. An Ariel Atom? What about an 60s Mustang? Why not an M3, or an S4, or a 90s Impala SS? Why not a decommissioned Crown Vic police package? And let's say for a moment that this term HAS meaning - what's wrong with being associated with it? (although I am not associating myself with it)

You can maintain that being all reserved and 'classy', staid and boring is a great goal, and if that's important to you, I hope you enjoy yourself. However if being able to pass other cars on the highway with great vigor, while reclined within a posh livingroom is all you need in a car to feel manly and sporty, then I kind of pity that you're a little dead inside.

As Circle T said, WRB is not Impreza-exclusive - it was on the Forester, and is on the BRZ.

If you want me to spend some time, I'll also look up a bunch of other cars available in a bright blue - the Corvette and PT Cruiser are two that immediately come to mind. I know the Focus had a blue, and various other GM cars. My dad's CRV is in a darker shade of a metallic blue. It's hardly a jackass colour.

Don't confuse a car that doesn't look like wallpaper with silly teenage antics and mindless redneckery.

Your writing is confusing and difficult to parse.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Wait, so what SHOULD I do In a car to feel manly and sporty without compensating for anything? I'm all ears!

N-Bomb

Wait, so what SHOULD I do In a car to feel manly and sporty without compensating for anything? I'm all ears!

Enjoy yourself and have fun! If driving is just a chore or the space between things you enjoy doing, then perhaps neither a fun car nor 'nice' car are for you. (not saying you specifically)

Hahaha this thread is soo funny...argue just for the sake of argueing ....

But yeah...I'm thinking of running toyo r888 for summer tires.....but I still kinda want to get run flats.

N-Bomb

Um...I can avoid driving in the rain.

But yeah..emergency wise that kinda sucks huh?

Edit: I used to run Falken rt-615 on the integra type R and NSX.

I wouldn't be caught dead in a tire without good wet traction. Not like I'm tracking the car and need slicks, and good summer tires will stick pretty good anyway. Picking up a set of Continental Extremecontact DW this week, should be amazing compared to the A/S on my Celica.

The kit looks like it was bought at the dollar tree store.

Snap.

Flo_Evans

I sound like Enron, disagreeing with Enron? :p

I love the STi. They are bad ass. But if I had to pick an animal to represent it, it would be a wolverine. I think painting it a drab color and taking off the massive rear wing and STi logos is dumb. It's not meant to be a sleeper car, it's not supposed to be refined or grown up, it's supposed to look like a rally car on the street.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Speaking of salvaged convertibles...

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

.... $13800!

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/3087263879.html

The gaps in that bumper are horrific. The headlights are ghastly. It gives me an idea for WOT stories. Hurry up, bish! Hahaha.

Hahaha this thread is soo funny...argue just for the sake of argueing ....

But yeah...I'm thinking of running toyo r888 for summer tires.....but I still kinda want to get run flats.

My Michelin Super Sports cost a ton, but the ride comfort, the grip, the handling, the lack of tire roar and the overall quality of the tire make it worth every fucking penny.

N-Bomb

Did a mockup of a car similar to mine with a ducktail spoiler. Thoughts?

zCjAWl.jpg

My Michelin Super Sports cost a ton, but the ride comfort, the grip, the handling, the lack of tire roar and the overall quality of the tire make it worth every fucking penny.

I don't know if you've tried the Continentals, but I'm wondering if the Super Sports are worth $40-60 more a tire than them?

Enron

Banned

zCjAWl.jpg

I don't know if you've tried the Continentals, but I'm wondering if the Super Sports are worth $40-60 more a tire than them?

This is one instance where the STi's ridiculous wing actually looks better. Ditch the ducktail.

AlphaSnake

zCjAWl.jpg

I've tried and driven on a variety of different Contis - and they all have the same problem, sidewalls. They're either too soft or too firm. Worst of all, they are all extremely prone to bubbling and punctures which is infuriating. Michelins are expensive for a reason, they are simply the best - nothing else comes close. I've had numerous tires on my cars in the past, for summer performance, Michelin destroys everything under the sun.

fart

Savant
dunlop star specs. oh, it gets cold where you live? too bad, move.

i recognize at least one poster here. i guess that's good news.

AlphaSnake

OG GAF up in dis dizzle. I really do wonder about a lot of the guys from the early 2000s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom