• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Bomb

I just don't think it looks classy or sporty at all. I don't see much of the charm of the 60s car in the modern Camaro at all.

I actually agree with Trollman here. I couldn't care less about 'classy', but it looks more like some kind of Hot Wheels fantasy than a real sports car.

Hate the slab sides and brutal design and proportions. Hate the tiny window slits. It looks hefty and solid. More like a train or something than a sports car.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I particularly hate the sharp rear 1/4 panel, and the fake slits/gills in that same location. Looks disgusting.

Quite honestly, Dodge was the only company that got the whole retro thing right with the Challenger. The current 392 Challenger SRT8 is gorgeous.

N-Bomb

I particularly hate the sharp rear 1/4 panel, and the fake slits/gills in that same location. Looks disgusting.

Quite honestly, Dodge was the only company that got the whole retro thing right with the Challenger. The current 392 Challenger SRT8 is gorgeous.

I find it a bit too hefty as well, but the design is far more attractive. The Charger is a complete failure though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

It would be a lot nicer if it weren't $47,000 for a Dodge.

I find it a bit too hefty as well, but the design is far more attractive. The Charger is a complete failure though.
I honestly don't think the point of the Challenger is being a performance car at all. It's a cruising car that has a lot of power to make you feel like a badass.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, pretty much. It's also the only one of the three with a usable back seat and trunk.

The seats in the SRT-8 are like thrones, too. Dodge is a shitty company though, so you can't even buy the car in a nice color other than black now. Hemi Orange is one thing, but they don't even offer standard Red.

Chuckl3s

So it'll be a next gen Holden Commodore. The current one was sold as a Pontiac G8, which was supposed to be great. I'm not currently interested, but it would be a nice alternative to the Charger.

Hopefully it will be able to compete with the Charger. The G8s where awesome until they got rid of Pontiac.

ascii42

The seats in the SRT-8 are like thrones, too. Dodge is a shitty company though, so you can't even buy the car in a nice color other than black now. Hemi Orange is one thing, but they don't even offer standard Red.

I wanted the Inaugural Edition 392 so badly. There was one in blue with white stripes with a little under 10,000 miles on it for sale at a dealership near me. They wanted $44k for it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
mazda_shinari_f34_ns_83110_717.jpg

Good enough?

Unf.

Angry Grimace

TO1Pe.png

I agree. Beautiful!

The seats inside are dreadful. They're white with blue stripes opposite the car itself. White leather is not only ostentatious to begin with, but it gets filthy very quickly. I really like the paint scheme on that one though. It's too bad you have to buy the crazy $50,000 version of the car to get it.

I believe you can spec one in 'Redline'.
That's a Laser Red clearcoat type, though and not a "True red," - I'm referring to the types of reds that (I think it was even you) were posted on the last page, i.e. Ferrari Red.

Dodge's basic red color is called "Torch Red," but is no longer available on the Challenger - this one:

o54PS.jpg

Hemi Orange isn't available either because Dodge convinced itself it should make the most popular color a limited edition for the first three years.

ascii42

The seats inside are dreadful. They're white with blue stripes opposite the car itself. White leather is not only ostentatious to begin with, but it gets filthy very quickly. I really like the paint scheme on that one though. It's too bad you have to buy the crazy $50,000 version of the car to get it.

I actually kind of like the seats. They are ostenatatious, but that's sort of the point. I definitely agree that how quickly they get dirty would be a problem. One of the reasons these sort of cars are better to ogle than to own.

TylerD

Hopefully it will be able to compete with the Charger. The G8s where awesome until they got rid of Pontiac.

The G8 GTs and GXPs are great looking cars. Every time I watch Aussie V8 Supercars it makes me briefly consider one with a manual. I would rather have a Ford FPV Falcon if we had that option in the US though.

Chuckl3s

I get jealous of other countries that have American sister companies that come out with fast v8 muscle cars that America does not see or bother considering. So I got excited when I heard the announcement of Chevy copy righting the "SS" name and hopefully bringing over one of its cousins from Australia.

N-Bomb

That's a Laser Red clearcoat type, though and not a "True red," - I'm referring to the types of reds that (I think it was even you) were posted on the last page, i.e. Ferrari Red.

Dodge's basic red color is called "Torch Red," but is no longer available on the Challenger - this one:

o54PS.jpg

Hemi Orange isn't available either because Dodge convinced itself it should make the most popular color a limited edition for the first three years.

AFAIK, Torch Red is actually a Chevy colour (on the Corvette as I posted), unless it's being shared? From what I saw when searching, that 'Redline' colour was available on both the Challenger AND the Dart. (and maybe the Charger)

Addition: Mazda 'True Red'
2009MazdaSpeed31stPictures-Zaino006.jpg

Angry Grimace

AFAIK, Torch Red is actually a Chevy colour (on the Corvette as I posted), unless it's being shared? From what I saw when searching, that 'Redline' colour was available on both the Challenger AND the Dart. (and maybe the Charger)

2009MazdaSpeed31stPictures-Zaino006.jpg
Dodge calls it "Torred" but that's a shortening of "Torch Red." Redline is a red shade but its a maroon clear coat sparkle color.

so after months and months of looking for an S2000, I finally picked one up.
It was my 2nd choice in color after GPW, got New Formula Red on black interior. AP1, 1 owner, never modded, no accidents, all VIN tags present, and best of all:

http://i.imgur.com/gPl0J.jpg[IMG]

13k miles!
Had to jump on it since almost every S2000 I've been looking at is either salvaged or has some "story" to it.

doing a full fluid flush soon, upgrading valve retainers to AP2, new tires.[/QUOTE]

:O Awesome find, man! Pristine!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Does anyone have a legit interest in automotive journalism? Perhaps contributing to a start up automotive site that I am looking to launch in the coming weeks, along with the help of another prominent GAFer who is designing it as we speak (fellow GAFer can reveal himself if he chooses to).

If you genuinely have the car know-how, the ability to write a coherent sentence, and would like to express your thoughts outside of this thread let me know. And yes, let me know even if you and I have butted heads, that only makes it better and genuine, especially since the designer of the site now is someone I used to argue with profusely in this thread. LOL

It's all in good fun. Interwebz is seriz biz.

Chuckl3s

[IM]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m241/matt60158/2009%20Speed3/2009MazdaSpeed31stPictures-Zaino006.jpg[/IMG]

On the new Corvette, the red is called "Torch Red". On every other model it is called "Victory Red". Which is the true red of Chevy. I believe.

N-Bomb

Does anyone have a legit interest in automotive journalism? Perhaps contributing to a start up automotive site that I am looking to launch in the coming weeks, along with the help of another prominent GAFer who is designing it as we speak (fellow GAFer can reveal himself if he chooses to).

If you genuinely have the car know-how, the ability to write a coherent sentence, and would like to express your thoughts outside of this thread let me know. And yes, let me know even if you and I have butted heads, that only makes it better and genuine, especially since the designer of the site now is someone I used to argue with profusely in this thread. LOL

I'd jump on that but I don't know that I have anything to say and I'm really not immersed in cars outside of my own/occasional club/friend's track day stuff. Likely not a good candidate.

Anyone have experience with karting?
karting.jpg

I am seriously thinking about getting into the hobby.

My friend had a shifter kart for the longest time. That thing is SCARY fast. I've putt around the street (late night) in it a few times and it was a blast.

He raced for the longest time too. He's moved on to other motorsports but he still has his Kart that he races with his little brother.

He always told me that it's a great way to learn how to properly race.

ascii42

I don't think I have enough experience with modern cars, particularly not with performance cars, but I look forward to seeing what y'all come up with.

What would the focus of the site be? Are we talking general automotive news, car reviews, auto industry/regulation? I'm not a bad writer and I'd be thrilled to contribute but I think that almost anything I have to say regarding the automotive industry has been said before--I'm no journalist pushing the boundaries.

Then again sites like Jalopnik are 50% "Thing happened that's tangentially related to cars, here's my snarky opinion on it".

Edit: How about I do a column on buying old cars for $500 or less, attempting to flip them for a profit but ultimately giving up and selling them at a loss. Everybody likes a good story about leaking fuel tanks, throttle bodies full of families of angry spiders and frustrated despair.

I am a huge Initial D fan, and that car is cool in theory...

But my GOD man, that has to be one of the worst body kit fitments I have ever seen!

What would the focus of the site be? Are we talking general automotive news, car reviews, auto industry/regulation? I'm not a bad writer and I'd be thrilled to contribute but I think that almost anything I have to say regarding the automotive industry has been said before--I'm no journalist pushing the boundaries.

Then again sites like Jalopnik are 50% "Thing happened that's tangentially related to cars, here's my snarky opinion on it".

Edit: How about I do a column on buying old cars for $500 or less, attempting to flip them for a profit but ultimately giving up and selling them at a loss. Everybody likes a good story about leaking fuel tanks, throttle bodies full of families of angry spiders and frustrated despair

I know you are joking, but Wheeler Dealers does something similar and the show is actually pretty cool. They don't always make a profit and some of their choices are baffling, but Edd China is a great mechanic and it is always interesting to watch.

I would actually be interested in this. I have a shitty car/video game blog that I haven't touched in years, but I consider myself a decent writer and not a complete idiot when it comes to cars.

speedline

Banned
The new ones are awesome looking. Fourth generation is super ugly.

Depends on what 4th gen your talking about, the Z28 is too mild for me, but a nice SS still looks sweet. It's an unrefined American muscle car through and through.

camp_0905_17+2002_chevy_camaro_ss+front_headlights.jpg

Pontiac did it right though:

240600d1278102555-show-off-your-black-trans-ams-dont-quote-pics-shawnpta2.jpg

I know you are joking, but Wheeler Dealers does something similar and the show is actually pretty cool. They don't always make a profit and some of their choices are baffling, but Edd China is a great mechanic and it is always interesting to watch.

Yeah I'm a big fan of the show but where Edd is a great mechanic I'm not and where Mike is a great negotiator I'm also not. So really it'd just be me losing money and getting mad at stuck bolts.

Yeah I'm a big fan of the show but where Edd is a great mechanic I'm not and where Mike is a great negotiator I'm also not. So really it'd just be me losing money and getting mad at stuck bolts.

You know what though? I would actually watch a show like that. Sort of a "Tool Time" thing where you keep fucking everything up and hurting yourself. There could be a thing there, might work on YouTube. I mean, look at Top Gear and their whole "ambitious but rubbish" thing. Every time Clarkson fails or hurts himself, I know I laugh!

You know what though? I would actually watch a show like that. Sort of a "Tool Time" thing where you keep fucking everything up and hurting yourself. There could be a thing there, might work on YouTube. I mean, look at Top Gear and their whole "ambitious but rubbish" thing. Every time Clarkson fails or hurts himself, I know I laugh!

That would be fantastic, I do love those segments on Top Gear.

Viperbah

Depends on what 4th gen your talking about, the Z28 is too mild for me, but a nice SS still looks sweet. It's an unrefined American muscle car through and through.

Yup, most people have a love/hate relationship with camaros/firebirds in general. I will always have a special place in my heart for 4th gens, I owned 3 of them through high school and college.

Angry Grimace

They look like giant lozenges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom