• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Bomb

Yep.

And yep...the car prices here is sooo ridiculous. But the thing is all you see on the roads here are Audi's, BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover, Porsche, etc. Tons of really rich people here...

I took a look at the Evoque as well, but that shit costs 100,000+ USD here, good Christ.

Give it another year or two, once their economy dives like ours, those people will be clamouring for a Hongqi or XF150ZK-4 ;)

Ash_69

Autogaf, I need your thoughts.

My daily drive is a Audi A4 which is a nice car but something is missing in my life - power.

I'm a huge petrol head that likes cars but the accountant in me has not let me buy the Audi tts I wanted as I simply do not drive enough to warant the purchase. I probably drive once a week, 20 miles or so over the weekend to give you some perspective.

Now, after driving a Ford Mustang in the States, a month or two ago, I could cannot tell you how giddy I got after feeling the surge of power when I put my foot down and the theatre that came with it from the roar of the engine.

That led me to search autotrader for some cheap second hand sports cars that could give me the pleasure I have been missing without the additional grey hairs of knowing the car is hemorrhaging money sitting on my drive NOT BEING DRIVEN (for most of the week anyway).

I have found plently of Nissan 350z's at around GBP 6,000 to GBP 7,000 for an 03/04 plate. Does this sound like a good deal and what do you think reliability will be like? Knowing the type of car it is, I'm worried that having being driven hard for the last 9 years, it's going to break down and suck up even more money that I shouldn't be spending on a car I don't need. Take the plunge or stay clear?

Enron

Banned
I have found plently of Nissan 350z's at around GBP 6,000 to GBP 7,000 for an 03/04 plate. Does this sound like a good deal and what do you think reliability will be like? Knowing the type of car it is, I'm worried that having being driven hard for the last 9 years, it's going to break down and suck up even more money that I shouldn't be spending on a car I don't need. Take the plunge or stay clear?

I would stay clear. I too was looking at 2004/2005 350z early last year and a lot of them have had mods on them at some point and most of them have been driven hard. Also, the interior on those cars is pretty crappy, and didn't hold up well over the course of 7-8 years of use.

kharma45

My daily drive is a Audi A4 which is a nice car but something is missing in my life - power.

I'm a huge petrol head that likes cars but the accountant in me has not let me buy the Audi tts I wanted as I simply do not drive enough to warant the purchase. I probably drive once a week, 20 miles or so over the weekend to give you some perspective.

Now, after driving a Ford Mustang in the States, a month or two ago, I could cannot tell you how giddy I got after feeling the surge of power when I put my foot down and the theatre that came with it from the roar of the engine.

That led me to search autotrader for some cheap second hand sports cars that could give me the pleasure I have been missing without the additional grey hairs of knowing the car is hemorrhaging money sitting on my drive NOT BEING DRIVEN (for most of the week anyway).

I had a quick look on Autotrader and saw a few Porsche Boxter S's for that sort of money which should hold their value pretty well being a Porsche, they're generally pretty solid for reliability and although the Boxter gets a lot of stick it's a lot of fun to drive and the 3.2 in the S should give plenty of poke.

Previous generation (pre-facelift) BMW M3's also come in around that sort of money too.

Enron

Banned
I had a quick look on Autotrader and saw a few Porsche Boxter S's for that sort of money which should hold their value pretty well being a Porsche, they're generally pretty solid for reliability and although the Boxter gets a lot of stick it's a lot of fun to drive and the 3.2 in the S should give plenty of poke.

Previous generation (pre-facelift) BMW M3's also come in around that sort of money too.

But when you do have to fix anything on the boxster or the m3, goodbye wallet.

Flo_Evans

I know this is the car GAF thread, but for a cheap fun (and FAST) toy look at a motorcycle. :)

N-Bomb

No, Honda never saw it necessary. They saw their braking system as adequate for the job.

I'm sure it was. But there were some sharp wheels on that car, looks like there's no convenient way to know if any of them would clear. :\

Edit: On the side - Automation is awesome, even though it's just inline 4 cyl engines right now:

JN5oSl.jpg

I'm sure it was. But there were some sharp wheels on that car, looks like there's no convenient way to know if any of them would clear. :\

Edit: On the side - Automation is awesome, even though it's just inline 4 cyl engines right now:

JN5oSl.jpg

I have been messing with that for a little while now. Really cool concept.

Does anyone here have any experience with RacingFor.Me?

Mazda's famed rotary engine sputters and dies

Mazda has announced that it has ended production of the company’s signature engine in favor of concentrating on its trademarked SkyActiv improvements to the piston engine.
But most companies found that manufacturing rotary engines that would run for more than a few hours an insurmountable task. The apex seals, the part at each tip of the triangular rotor, are an engineering nightmare. The seals are prone to wearing out and to developing vibrations that cause them to gouge the inside of the engine. They can even break off entirely, wrecking the engine. The oil seals on the rotors have also proved challenging to perfect.
Mazda got the rotary to work, barely. The engines have never lasted as long as piston engines, and along the way they were prone to consuming too much gas and oil. Burning oil led my own ’87 RX-7 to foul its spark plugs monthly. Sometimes I could clean them successfully, but other times I had to replace all four of them at $10 a pop. While getting 16 mpg in a two-seat sports car.

So that’s what it came down to. The rotary, as lovely a device as it is, proved too thirsty and insufficiently durable for widespread adoption. The struggle to preserve its signature technology has contributed to Mazda’s financial struggles, so the company finally had to retire its powerplant, at least until its finances improve.

I had a 1985 RX-7 that I put 236,000 miles on and I never once had a problem with the apex seals. I got about 22 mpg out of it, with lots of highway driving. Fun little car.

fart

Savant
Mazda's famed rotary engine sputters and dies

I had a 1985 RX-7 that I put 236,000 miles on and I never once had a problem with the apex seals. I got about 22 mpg out of it, with lots of highway driving. Fun little car.
the NA engines in the FB and FC can live for quite a long time if they're treated properly. there are a few problems with the rotary, 1) when you increase compression eg via a turbine, there just doesn't exist a durable enough material to construct apex seals that will last as long as good piston rings 2) as they started changing the chamber and port design to decrease emissions, they found that it was extremely difficult to keep the seals intact under a wide variety of use cases. in 08- rx8s, if you don't drive the car hard very regularly, crud builds up on the chambers that can kill the seals, for example. the solution is to inject a lot more oil into the chamber to keep the chambers clean, but that has a negative effect on emissions, etc.

long story short, rotaries are an engineering headache and a single small team at mazda isn't enough to keep them relevant and useful in the modern automotive world.

N-Bomb

the NA engines in the FB and FC can live for quite a long time if they're treated properly...

long story short, rotaries are an engineering headache and a single small team at mazda isn't enough to keep them relevant and useful in the modern automotive world.

This is possibly the most reasonable thing I've read about the rotary's deficiencies. Excellent.

Finally got a delivery date. Next week, purfect as my vacation starts then. :)

Golf, eh? What trim level?

Forsete

Golf, eh? What trim level?

Trim level? :p

Its a 2013 TDI BMT Masters, Dark Label.
+2 Zone ACC (Climatronic)
+Dim lights with cornering lights
+Automatic dimming mirrors
+Remote and time controlled engine heater (diesel)
+Tinted windows from B-pillar
+DSG with 7 gears

kharma45

Trim level? :p

Its a 2013 TDI BMT Masters, Dark Label.
+2 Zone ACC (Climatronic)
+Dim lights with cornering lights
+Automatic dimming mirrors
+Remote and time controlled engine heater (diesel)
+Tinted windows from B-pillar
+DSG with 7 gears

The trim level, ie what spec level, which I presume is the BMT Masters, Dark Label bit.

N-Bomb

Ah yes, I am a retard.
It is Masters. Dark Label adds some things at no extra charge.

We have
Basic
Masters
GT
GTD
GTI

As ridiculous as most trim level names are, that's definitely up there on the scale. What does 'Masters' even mean? The rest are kind of understandable...

kharma45

As ridiculous as most trim level names are, that's definitely up there on the scale. What does 'Masters' even mean? The rest are kind of understandable...

Could be like the Match trim we have here in the UK which adds some goodies to the SE spec car to get them shifted as the new Golf is coming next year.

TylerD

I drove a 2008 Audi A4 2.0T FWD yesterday. Now I get it! There was a Black on Tan 2007 2.0T Quattro SLine MT being advertised on Autotrader at Audi OKC but when I called they didn't have it any longer.

A B8 A4 2.0T with Quattro and hopefully MT (closest one is in Dallas) is now very high on my list of want to drives.

Forsete

Volkwagen are fond of stupid names.
Masters, trendline, trimline, rabbit?

But at the end of the day, all add-ons are specified in the brochure. :p

This might seem like an odd question but it has been maddeningly hard to find anything.

Anyone know of any good Street Racing/Wangan/Kanto documentaries? The girl has been getting really into cars/racing and is curious about the whole street racing scene that used to exist. Anyone have any good suggestions for videos/movies/etc to show her?

I have found some crappy old ones like "True Life: I am a Street Racer" and some National Geographic shows, but I want something really good and interesting. Anything from the old LA scene, to the Japanese Wangan/Kanto scene would be awesome.

TylerD

I got a new car yesterday guys, my first ever new:

2012 Toyota Corolla LE!

Congrats on your purchase! May it give you years and years of trouble free transportation. I haven't bought a car new but I might next year. I have fond memories of going with my parents to pick out cars though. It was always exciting.

edit: Glowing review of the GT86 from Autocar.

Autocar Magazine said:
Simply sublime. The sharpest, most enjoyable small sports car for a generation.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10629

*checks autotrader for FR-S and BRZs in a 100 mile radius. :(

I finally drove my roommate's 08 335i coupe MT. It was very very good. Going CPO and German wouldn't be bad at all.

N-Bomb

100% agree. Much nicer.

G35ron is asking this? D:

Updates!

r8jfvl.jpg

The front suspension is in! Just need to tie in the new (quicker) steering rack.

SK0PDl.jpg

Rad is in, most of the plumbing is done - the engine now runs. Frank (the tuner) says that it runs shockingly quiet, even with a straight through muffler. Should be interesting!

4vRpNl.jpg

New cluster is in. They've got it all working except tying it in to the DCCD LED output from the DCCD controller. Smexy!

Looking to be done next week. Can't wait!!

GuessWho

thinking about getting the toyota venza 2012. Pricing is pretty good for the premium package on a 48 month lease and can't really go wrong with a toyota. Anybody have any experience.
I was shocked by how big of a car it is. Definitively cuv range.

ascii42

thinking about getting the toyota venza 2012. Pricing is pretty good for the premium package on a 48 month lease and can't really go wrong with a toyota. Anybody have any experience.
I was shocked by how big of a car it is. Definitively cuv range.
I think the Venza is basically a Camry wagon/crossover, with all the pros and cons that entails. I've always thought they were a little bit too expensive, but that's your call.
The 2013 models apparently get Toyota's new Entune system, which sounds like their response to Ford SYNC. If that interests you, I'd hold off.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
After over 40 years (some will say 50), VW and Porsche are finally one company. VW has officially acquired Porsche for good. The history here is so complex and twisted it's ludicrous.

minx

Surprised to see how many people on here lease cars when it's a known fact that it cost more money in the long run.

iamblades

Surprised to see how many people on here lease cars when it's a known fact that it cost more money in the long run.

The difference in total cost between leasing and buying a new car is fairly insubstantial, and is often more than compensated by lower interest rates and a shorter commitment depending on car and what kind of offers you can get.

Also if you are only planning on having a car for 2-3 years, then leasing is the only thing that makes sense at all. If you buy it over the same term, not only are your monthly payments going to be much much higher, but the chance of you getting the difference between the lease and the purchase price when you go to sell or trade in is pretty miniscule. If you finance over a longer term and still get a new car after 2-3 years you will have barely touched the principal on the car loan, so there is no chance you will make a profit on that deal vs. the lease. And everyone should realize that buying a depreciating asset with cash up front is quite possibly the stupidest thing you can do with your money.

So if you want something new and you aren't absolutely going to hold on to it for the long term, leasing makes perfect sense. If you decide later that you want to keep a lease long term, you only end up paying a little more, but if you decide you want something new after 2 years you save a HUGE amount.

minx

What would be the best way to go if I had a company car wasn't going to be driving much. Just looked up used car prices and they are not much lower than new.

TheContact

I just bought an 05 c240 Mercedes. So far I like it a lot, just a little outdated when compared to the technology newer cars offer. Got it with only 42k miles too

Edit: my girlfriend just bought a 2012 corolla le a couple months ago. She really likes it, but it's a little slow on the pedal. That's about the only downside.

ascii42

The difference in total cost between leasing and buying a new car is fairly insubstantial, and is often more than compensated by lower interest rates and a shorter commitment depending on car and what kind of offers you can get.

Also if you are only planning on having a car for 2-3 years, then leasing is the only thing that makes sense at all. If you buy it over the same term, not only are your monthly payments going to be much much higher, but the chance of you getting the difference between the lease and the purchase price when you go to sell or trade in is pretty miniscule. If you finance over a longer term and still get a new car after 2-3 years you will have barely touched the principal on the car loan, so there is no chance you will make a profit on that deal vs. the lease. And everyone should realize that buying a depreciating asset with cash up front is quite possibly the stupidest thing you can do with your money.

So if you want something new and you aren't absolutely going to hold on to it for the long term, leasing makes perfect sense. If you decide later that you want to keep a lease long term, you only end up paying a little more, but if you decide you want something new after 2 years you save a HUGE amount.

Well, considering that the idea of a lease is that you are paying the depreciation over the course of the lease, in theory that last sentence is completely false. In practice, it probably comes down to what sort of interest rates you are getting, and if there are any great lease deals.

Well, considering that the idea of a lease is that you are paying the depreciation over the course of the lease, in theory that last sentence is completely false. In practice, it probably comes down to what sort of interest rates you are getting, and if there are any great lease deals.

Well besides the obvious "I really want that car but I don't have all of that money yet" thing, which, you know, a lease greatly facilitates. Not to mention that there are a good number of perks you get when you do lease a car (like I got extended warranty for the duration of the lease).

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

The depreciation you pay is very much underestimated and nothing more than just a guess. Why do you think the auto industry took such a nosedive 5 years ago? They were dolling out leases for dirt cheap, getting cars returned that were residualized at less than their value, and ultimately stuck with a heap of auctions where they lose thousands and thousands.

Example: when my dad leased an Infiniti FX35 in 2005, the residual (buy out) was estimated at $27K. Even with us returning the car after 3 years with only 21k miles on it, the car wasn't worth more than $23K. I later tracked the car down by VIN for sale at a CarMax for $23K, after it had been auctioned, which only means at that auction it went for about $20-21K. Multiply that by thousands of other cars, imagine how much money leasing banks were losing on so many of these cars.

Today the scenario is different. Where as the Infiniti 7 years ago stickered at $46K, and we leased it at invoice for $43K...the residual was $27K, right? Today, I'm leasing a 2012 Audi A6, which stickered at $56K and I got it at an invoice price of $52K. The residual, ironically enough is also $27K - and being an Audi the car in 3 years will surely be worth more than $27K. So banks have gotten smarter today.

After over 40 years (some will say 50), VW and Porsche are finally one company. VW has officially acquired Porsche for good. The history here is so complex and twisted it's ludicrous.

When I think that Porsche could have ended up owning VW this really sucks. Ultimately I think that would have been a better end for the ownership dispute, now I'm legitimately worried about Porsche's future as a unique automaker. So far as I remember the intention was to have Porsche do the development for sports cars and my worry lies in the idea that it is going to dilute what makes Porsche special.

Sure, the 911 will always be the 911 (in whatever electro-hydraulic hybrid engined form it will take), but now I bet we'll see the other sports models like the Boxster or Cayman being badgineered into VWs and Audis.

And yes, as a former Porsche 924S owner I realize how stupid that makes me sound. But still!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom