• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
who else is still here^H^H^H^H ALIVE? i spotted hito and whiteman; lore obviously. drinky still around?

Drinky and MAF could still be around, but under different names. Morphix and his brother have posted here in this thread a few times under new names (they own Minis), but don't hide it or anything. Matrix can be seen in the MLB and NBA threads.

But LoneStar I haven't seen in a while...hope he's doing well with the cystic fibrosis and all. :(

And of course SolidSnakeX and a handful of others (I think even Deadmeat made a return recently) roam around the gaming section, which I can't be bothered to look at anymore. Hah.

AlphaSnake

cool, i'll poke around. hope you aren't still driving that altima or whatever it is

LOL. My old Maxima? Got rid of it for a 350Z 5 years ago. Got rid of the 350Z for a 2010 370Z at the end of 2010. And have a 2012 Audi A6 on the side. :p Fiancee has a BMW 335i Coupe

fart

Savant
335 and 370z are nice. i drove both and the 135 when my bro was shopping. all a little too heavy feeling for me though; i like revs and tossing shit around.

my faves of all our tests were actually the s2ks we drove (an 04 and an 08) and an rx8 with the special edition handling package (this was 09, last production year). he ended up picking up a standard rx8.

different strokes, etc. but glad at least a few people are still alive. (if that is what happened to lonestar, bless him, he'll be missed..)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's one thing when my wife drives her car into random stationary objects such as the side of the garage door, but another when she drives her car into my dad's car.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Must not make comment about female drivers....

She also believes I should stop shopping for manual transmission cars because she doesn't want to get stranded if I randomly die while we're out somewhere. I tried to explain to her that she could just learn to drive it, and she reminded me of the time when I tried to get her to drive my truck and she started crying in the middle of a parking lot.

She actually isn't a bad driver in traffic, she just has sucks at parking and other fine maneuvers (e.g. parallel parking). I have plenty of male friends who are legitimately bad drivers.

Thanks. I've been away from my car since I got it. Gotta clean out my garage and make room for it while the car is in storage.

Other than the full fluid flush and AP2 valve retainer upgrade, I've got some stuff lined up such as: KW V3 coilovers, SPC camber joints, half-shaft spacers, bump steer kit, front oem lip, Mugen hard top, probably some Hawk HPS pads/rotors/ss lines. Not sure on exhaust yet or other engine mods. I think the motor is completely fine, no need for a supercharger/turbo set up.

Wheels are the big mystery for me right now. I want to keep it a little old school and go the Regamaster route as cliche as that sounds. I even wanted some SSR Formula mesh, but they are tough to find in the right size with the right looking face.

I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. Sounds like you know what you're after. For the Mugen hard top, look around S2Ki forums as some pop up for sale at reasonable prices. As for exhausts, HKS is reintroducing a new model lineup of parts for the S2K. I've been reading about it in Option JDM.

Enjoy it my man!

She also believes I should stop shopping for manual transmission cars because she doesn't want to get stranded if I randomly die while we're out somewhere. I tried to explain to her that she could just learn to drive it, and she reminded me of the time when I tried to get her to drive my truck and she started crying in the middle of a parking lot.

She actually isn't a bad driver in traffic, she just has sucks at parking and other fine maneuvers (e.g. parallel parking). I have plenty of male friends who are legitimately bad drivers.

that's weird, do we have the same wife?

AlphaSnake

Lonestar is still around, he had a double lung transplant that went successfully, goes by Incognito these days.

This is the thread about his transplant: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424926

Hah, I forgot about that thread - I even posted/subscribed to it. But I remember it now. What I remember bumming me out about that thread was that he said he thinks his new pair of lungs would last him another 25 years before another inevitable surgery, unless medicine advances greatly by then.

I'm having an odd problem with my turbo Volvo ('06 S40 T5) and, since this is my first turbo car, I figured I'd ask for some assistance.

What's going on right now is that it will overboost like crazy up until 3500 rpm and then go into limp mode (at least I think that's what it's doing). No check engine lights or anything, just oodles of power then barely enough power to get to 4000 rpm. If I baby the engine and don't build boost it'll run fine up to redline, it's only if I have enough throttle to spool the turbo up.

I've got a handy little scantool that gave me this read-out of boost vs. time.
iqA4M.jpg

Obviously my turbo shouldn't be boosting up to fucking 1.2 bar / 17psi (I think it's supposed to max at 8psi) so I'm babying the car and avoiding driving it until I can take care of it. But you can see how it's overboosting then dying off and holding steady around 0.2 bar even with my foot to the floor.

The wastegate actuator arm moves back and forth freely so the wastegate itself isn't jammed. Could it be the wastegate actuator itself? The boost controller?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm having an odd problem with my turbo Volvo ('06 S40 T5) and, since this is my first turbo car, I figured I'd ask for some assistance.

What's going on right now is that it will overboost like crazy up until 3500 rpm and then go into limp mode (at least I think that's what it's doing). No check engine lights or anything, just oodles of power then barely enough power to get to 4000 rpm. If I baby the engine and don't build boost it'll run fine up to redline, it's only if I have enough throttle to spool the turbo up.

iqA4M.jpg

Obviously my turbo shouldn't be boosting up to fucking 1.2 bar / 17psi (I think it's supposed to max at 8psi) so I'm babying the car and avoiding driving it until I can take care of it. But you can see how it's overboosting then dying off and holding steady around 0.2 bar even with my foot to the floor.

The wastegate actuator arm moves back and forth freely so the wastegate itself isn't jammed. Could it be the wastegate actuator itself? The boost controller?
My brother in law also drives an 06 S40 T5 and ran into a similar issue. It turned out to be, believe it or not, one of the light bulbs in the front headlight assembly (one of the turn signal bulbs, I think). He's a gear head himself but the problem had him stumped for weeks.

I don't recall the exact symptoms but from what I remember him saying it was a similar situation (would seem to spool up fine and then just sort of "die" and you're left with no power).

Spent Saturday installing an 8 inch Bazooka tube.
I also installed two black exhaust tips.

dsehH.jpg

Took up less than 1/3 trunk space, so I still have a trunk.

MPE0p.jpg

Wl4ql.jpg

My brother in law also drives an 06 S40 T5 and ran into a similar issue. It turned out to be, believe it or not, one of the light bulbs in the front headlight assembly (one of the turn signal bulbs, I think). He's a gear head himself but the problem had him stumped for weeks.

I don't recall the exact symptoms but from what I remember him saying it was a similar situation (would seem to spool up fine and then just sort of "die" and you're left with no power).

What?

So it was some sort of grounding issue for him? Something like that? That that's even a possibility makes me mad because it's exactly the sort of weird, niggling issue that means I'll end up replacing twenty parts before figuring something out.

AlphaSnake

iqA4M.jpg

Air flow sensor?

Air flow sensor?

Could be, but my gut is telling me it's something in the boost control loop. Maybe that's just my wallet telling me that since a lot of those parts are cheap and easy to replace; If I open up the entire engine control system things can get pricey.

Very funny but he's talking about the user interface in the car, I gather. My car is at the perfect ratio of gadgets to simplicity, I'm very happy with it. It does music and climate control very well and with no fuss, for anything more complicated than that I have my phone. The few times I've driven something with a touch-pad control center for the car I've found it unbelievably obnoxious.

AlphaSnake

Yeah, my mom's 2012 Volvo S60 is extremely easy to use. With a damn bangin sound system too.

My Michelin Super Sports cost a ton, but the ride comfort, the grip, the handling, the lack of tire roar and the overall quality of the tire make it worth every fucking penny.

Hmmm....got size available and its actually cheaper than Bridgestone RE070R2 or Dunlop Sport Maxx's...I might look into it..

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
mazda-mx-5-gt-concept-2.jpg

Does the idea of a Mazda MX-5 Miata with 205 horsepower – a useful bump over the stocker's 167 ponies – sound like a good idea? How about one with an upgraded suspension, carbon fiber front splitter, rear diffuser and spoiler?

Still not good enough for you? Fine. Throw in a free-flowing exhaust with single center-mounted tailpipe, body-color roll hoops, sticky tires and a pair of Recaro seats. If we're describing the Miata of your dreams, we suggest you tell Mazda how you feel – this exact machine, dubbed the MX-5 Miata GT Concept, will be on display at the 2012 Goodwood Festival of Speed, where it will make a run up the hill.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/25/mazda-to-debut-mx-5-miata-gt-concept-looking-for-feedback/

TylerD

That car looks REALLY happy.

I would often start laughing when I would look in the rear view mirror on iracing and see a ton of MX5s with their happy faces.

I don't think there is a happier car out there.

That is a really nice looking Miata but the black trim kind of makes the car looked raised up IMO.

reilo

wut? I just want an aesthetic overhaul. Im not a fan of the Mazda's current lineup of seemingly perptually grinning fascias.

mazda_shinari_f34_ns_83110_717.jpg

Good enough?

You can see the new design language in the CX-5:

pho_gallery_CX5_ext1.jpg

pho_gallery_CX5_ext5.jpg

My car felt like behaving so I graphed the boost again as a comparison shot to really stress just how much I was overboosting the engine. Definitely taking it to the dealership for a diagnostic as soon as I can. Someone suggested the boost controller failing shut so hopefully it's just that--they're under $200 and very easy to replace.

for smallness said:

Edit: Now the only downside is that I want the boost in the top graph all the time. It was enough where it was fighting for grip in 3rd gear at 3000 rpm.

Chuckl3s

Am I the only one excited about the upcoming Chevy SS Performance?? Hopefully GM will go back to basics with real rear-wheel drive horse power.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/chevrolet/2014-chevrolet-ss-performance-ar128652.html

UPDATE 05/17/2012: Chevrolet has officially confirmed that their new SS Performance Sedan will be a 2014 model and will arrive in dealer showrooms in late 2013. A racing version will compete at the 2013 Daytona 500. The model will be built in limited edition and will carry a derivative of the award-winning global rear-wheel-drive architecture that spawns performance vehicles like the Chevrolet Camaro.

reilo

Am I the only one excited about the upcoming Chevy SS Performance?? Hopefully GM will go back to basics with real rear-wheel drive horse power.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/chevrolet/2014-chevrolet-ss-performance-ar128652.html

The model will be built in limited edition and will carry a derivative of the award-winning global rear-wheel-drive architecture

/nods

that spawns performance vehicles like the Chevrolet Camaro.

oh

Angry Grimace

Just to reiterate for no real reason, but the Camaro is super ugly.

Angry Grimace

The new ones are awesome looking. Fourth generation is super ugly.

I just don't think it looks classy or sporty at all. I don't see much of the charm of the 60s car in the modern Camaro at all.

Chris R

Is there a typical place where Ford puts part numbers? Or a guide online so I can find what the number is? Long story short part of my car was torn off today (plastic thingy under the rear bumper) and I want to see how much it will cost to fix myself (looks like it just has two plastic bolts holding it in) before I get a quote from the dealership (was going in for an oil change this week anyways).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom