• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, honestly dude what cars do you like ?

Can I guess?

7179825446_45517a1a27_m.jpg

Chuckl3s

Yup, most people have a love/hate relationship with camaros/firebirds in general. I will always have a special place in my heart for 4th gens, I owned 3 of them through high school and college.

When they use the 4th gen firebird in the iroc races, I was in awe!. What Speedline said...Pontiac got it right.

My friend had a shifter kart for the longest time. That thing is SCARY fast. I've putt around the street (late night) in it a few times and it was a blast.

He raced for the longest time too. He's moved on to other motorsports but he still has his Kart that he races with his little brother.

He always told me that it's a great way to learn how to properly race.

Thanks, I am going to try to hit up Sonoma Infineon Raceway to see why kind of kart racing classes I can take before I dip into my "for fun" fund. Oddly enough I only went on the main race track and never tried their go-kart track.

Edit: just found a crash course guide/experience.

Depends on what 4th gen your talking about, the Z28 is too mild for me, but a nice SS still looks sweet. It's an unrefined American muscle car through and through.

Pontiac did it right though:

240600d1278102555-show-off-your-black-trans-ams-dont-quote-pics-shawnpta2.jpg

Man oh man...I am not the biggest fan of American cars but Pontiac knocked it outa the park on this one to me. Such a gorgeous car, I still see one every once in a while and it always keeps my eye.

fart

Savant
Factory-tuned GT86:

http://translate.google.de/translat...7/toyota-beim-goodwood-festival-of-speed/3264

twin turbo, 320hp, 421nm torque.

Edit:
In other news, Toyota launched a new high performance car branch this week...
http://www.toyota-motorsport.com/en/

COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!
that's not a factory-tuned car. it's a straight up one-off race car, probably endurance, i would guess for either a euro GT series or DTM entry or european endurance racing (nur 24h, etc.).

the toyota sponsorship of that shop probably has more to do with toyota restarting its western motorsports division (which has always been a euro shop) after it pulled out in the '08 crisis.

the only hot production 86 we're going to see will probably an STI division model out of subaru. IF the toyota version is successful enough, we'll see mostly cosmetic trims. i doubt we'll see a turbo version out of toyota proper (it's not their engine).

N-Bomb

Abort, abort!

Man oh man...I am not the biggest fan of American cars but Pontiac knocked it outa the park on this one to me. Such a gorgeous car, I still see one every once in a while and it always keeps my eye.

Gotta agree. Although I've always had a soft spot for the Firebird since I was little. That thing looks like a dragon that wants to eat your kids and shit down your head hole.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
lol, honestly dude what cars do you like ?
I just don't much care for F Bodies outside of the First Gen. The Trans-Am is nicer than the Camaro, but they have a weird body shape. They were always a better performer than the contemporary Mustangs, so of course when I was a kid I wanted one.

The modern Camaro is a LOT nicer than the Fourth Gen Camaro, but I don't think it compares favorably looks-wise to either of its competitors.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
that's not a factory-tuned car. it's a straight up one-off race car, probably endurance, i would guess for either a euro GT series or DTM entry or european endurance racing (nur 24h, etc.).

the toyota sponsorship of that shop probably has more to do with toyota restarting its western motorsports division (which has always been a euro shop) after it pulled out in the '08 crisis.

the only hot production 86 we're going to see will probably an STI division model out of subaru. IF the toyota version is successful enough, we'll see mostly cosmetic trims. i doubt we'll see a turbo version out of toyota proper (it's not their engine).

GRMN /Gazoo is the Toyota-owned and operated works team.

also,
http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/29937/toyota-looks-to-launch-tmg-performance-sub-brand

fart

Savant
woah! excellent news if it pans out.

deciding between an 08 s2k and an 86 as my next car (although cayman all the way if i were to get a particularly large signing bonus and SO didn't kill me :)

this could sway things heavily in the toyota direction

Toyota made no secret about having a supercharged test mule running around a while back. I don't think it's likely to see it make production but it's certainly a possibility.

fart

Savant
if you recall the scion tC fiasco (aka the most boring "fwd sporty coupe" in the world), they did offer an SC kit as a dealer-installed option but it was a huge ripoff, and the car was still boring after you paid the 3k to put it on.

fart

Savant
on and here's the other bitch about the 86/toyobaru. since it's a boxer/horizontally opposed and NOT transverse (as it is in all its other awd applications), it's a huge big to put a compressor on it. in fact, this is why that TMG/gazoo whatever concept has two turbos. in order to keep the cylinders in sync, you need to put a compressor on each side, which sucks. you could do something weird like mount the turbo really far back and then have very very fancy piping running up to the intakes, but in general it's a bitch

on top of that, the motor series they've derived from is traditionally very conservatively timed and cylinder specc'd because they as an engineering firm are most familiar with compressors and not super high efficiency NA motors (eg, honda).

so they're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place on making a production hot version of this car. hopefully someone clever will figure something out, but i wouldn't be surprised if they let it sit on the market for a year or two to see if it's worth the effort first.

TylerD

woah! excellent news if it pans out.

deciding between an 08 s2k and an 86 as my next car (although cayman all the way if i were to get a particularly large signing bonus and SO didn't kill me :)

this could sway things heavily in the toyota direction

I listened to the newest Autoblog podcast last night and the fleet manager who is rarely on the cast said he drove an automatic BRZ about 250 miles to deliver it to John Neff, the editor in chief. He said the usual things you hear; not fast but feels quick, handles extremely well, firm but not harsh suspension, etc. His favorite thing about the car was how the whole interior seems to be centered around the driver similar to the S2K. He was very disappointed it wasn't a manual.

Depends on what 4th gen your talking about, the Z28 is too mild for me, but a nice SS still looks sweet. It's an unrefined American muscle car through and through.

camp_0905_17+2002_chevy_camaro_ss+front_headlights.jpg

Every time I see those cars, I think the driver is some greasy, hairy, dude wearing Hawaiian shirts and gold chains.

My buddy made a bet with his dad that if he was Valedictorian of our class in HS and got a full ride to college his dad had to use his college savings to buy him a car. fast forward 4 years and he was indeed valedictorian. So he went out and got a showroom new 2000 (the year we graduated) Black on Black 6spd WS-6 Trans Am. guy was the hero among us.

To this day, he still has the car, stored all the 5 years he was in college/business school and still stored in his dad's garage, has never seen snow and hardly seen rain....and still only has 20k miles on the original tires.

I have never been a muscle car guy, but his is about as good as that generation of F-body got.

N-Bomb

on and here's the other bitch about the 86/toyobaru. since it's a boxer/horizontally opposed and NOT transverse (as it is in all its other awd applications), it's a huge big to put a compressor on it. in fact, this is why that TMG/gazoo whatever concept has two turbos. in order to keep the cylinders in sync, you need to put a compressor on each side, which sucks. you could do something weird like mount the turbo really far back and then have very very fancy piping running up to the intakes, but in general it's a bitch

Huh? The STi is a boxer as well, and is also longitudinal, afaik. It has one turbo on the passenger side. Why would you need to have to put two turbos? Also, why would you have to keep the cylinders in sync?

fart

Savant
you're right. for some reason i thought all subarus were transversely mounted (the lancer is, but it's also inline).

one of the poopy implications of this (and why i thought they mounted it transversely) is that you have to push the engine forward in front of the diff. ideally you want it to be much further back. iirc this was one of the talking points of the initial 86 design process, as people were wondering why they'd bother with a boxer instead of an i4 like a normal person. in a rwd design you can finally push the boxer as far down and back as you want (although in practice of course you still have a suspension and steering components to mount there too, but you get the idea)

the reason you want the pulses to be in sync is that it's much easier to time intake iirc. a beat on the intakes will turn into a beat on the exhaust, which gets shoved back into the compressor, and so on and so forth. from my second-hand thermo (ok, long conversations with a suby friend who did a mech eng BS), there are efficiency implications here.

also, this is where the distinctive puff puff sound of a subaru exhaust comes from, since the intake (and/or exhaust!) headers are of unequal length.

the reason you want the pulses to be in sync is that it's much easier to time intake iirc. a beat on the intakes will turn into a beat on the exhaust, which gets shoved back into the compressor, and so on and so forth. from my second-hand thermo (ok, long conversations with a suby friend who did a mech eng BS), there are efficiency implications here.

You're a little fuzzy here. To be quick and dirty: The exhaust has pressure pulses bouncing back and forth down the pipe to the header, trailing a low pressure wave behind them. When they bounce off the exhaust valve that low pressure draws more air out of the cylinder and therefore draws more intake charge into the cylinder. It's called scavenging.

Having equal length headers means all the pipes are the same length which means you have a cumulative scavenging effect.

I left a shit-ton out of that, look it up if you're curious.

N-Bomb

You're a little fuzzy here. To be quick and dirty: The exhaust has pressure pulses bouncing back and forth down the pipe to the header, trailing a low pressure wave behind them. When they bounce off the exhaust valve that low pressure draws more air out of the cylinder and therefore draws more intake charge into the cylinder. It's called scavenging.

also, this is where the distinctive puff puff sound of a subaru exhaust comes from, since the intake (and/or exhaust!) headers are of unequal length.

Mazda played with this on the RX-7 FC - my GX had something called a 'variable dynamic intake' or something, which was basically a valve in the intake manifold that would open at a certain RPM to increase or decrease the intake runner length, making it tuned better for higher RPM power. Dunno what this had to do with exhaust though.

Also, the 'scooby burble' doesn't apply to the 05 (06?)+ JDM STi, which went with a twin-scroll turbo and equal-length header design. Some people avoid it because of that lost sound.

fart

Savant

Having equal length headers means all the pipes are the same length which means you have a cumulative scavenging effect.

I left a shit-ton out of that, look it up if you're curious.
a little fuzzy? i had no idea what was actually happening. i know that there's some annoying diff equation (hence the cyclic bit) and you get good things out of it when something-or-other is in phase. that's literally all i know. thanks for the proper layman's explanation :)

Would a tire shop usually have master keys?
they'll have a tool that will dig into the lock-nut to get traction and pull it off. then you'll need to get a new set of lugs. don't bother with wheel locks. they're useless.

N-Bomb

Updates!

JJImhl.jpg

Rear hubs on~

cbWwTl.jpg

The engine 'runs' now. At least as far as the ECU goes, I guess.

0BaYul.jpg

My glove box had an upset stomach.

After helping various friends out with their harnesses, I'm defiantly not doing it myself. I'm subbing that bad boy out on my next ride...

Did you do anything to the engine bay (paint?) before dropping the swap in?

N-Bomb

After helping various friends out with their harnesses, I'm defiantly not doing it myself. I'm subbing that bad boy out on my next ride...

Did you do anything to the engine bay (paint?) before dropping the swap in?

Yeah, I hear that. I know that I COULD do it, but it would take me about 30x as long, and cause much frustration along the way. The resulting pride in my overcoming the challenge would not be anywhere near worth it.

Nope, just power washed it. I don't mind it looking completely different than the exterior. No one will generally see it, anyway. Really think I'm going to go with a bright, deep red.

ascii42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h_IcLn4JSg

I think this is an interesting debate, as I hate the modern shit in most cars.

I could go either way. I like old simple reliable cars, but I also love technology. I find the kind of features they manage to put in cars to be fascinating. It's the main reason I bought my Buick Riviera. I guess I could say I like electronic stuff until it breaks, and then I wish it was mechanical.

I could go either way. I like old simple reliable cars, but I also love technology. I find the kind of features they manage to put in cars to be fascinating. It's the main reason I bought my Buick Riviera. I guess I could say I like electronic stuff until it breaks, and then I wish it was mechanical.

Thats not really what they were talking about, its about sports cars being dummbed down for people who can't really drive by adding nannies and shit.

Culex

Banned
I'm contemplating doing some interior upgrades, such as Hirsch's leather handle upgrades. It's expensive.....but damn are they sexy. The plastic stock 9-3 ones suck.

Viperbah

Updates!

JJImhl.jpg

Rear hubs on~

cbWwTl.jpg

The engine 'runs' now. At least as far as the ECU goes, I guess.

0BaYul.jpg

My glove box had an upset stomach.

Looking good....seeing your build pics makes me jealous. I miss the days where I would actually mod my cars past bolt ons, now I have zero time to anything besides the occasional detail.

aznpxdd

Phew...FINALLY passed the driving license test in China yesterday. The process here is complicated and such a bitch (especially for a foreigner), but finally got through it!

Gonna pick up my 2012 Alpine White X1 (German Manufactured) in a couple days, can't wait!! The pricing here is so ridiculous though, the X1 I'm buying roughly translates to 80,000 USD...

Excited though, I've got sooo many mods lined up to be put on it already! Will post some pics once I pick her up.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
AlphaSnake, quit embarrassing yourself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMf729n5avk

What in the fuck...holy shit.

That guy didn't even have a 2008 roadster, he had the old non-LED taillights. And his car was an automatic. Had some cheap Lexani chrome wheels or some shit, and an eBay spoiler. Otherwise all factory. Here's hoping a hurricane swipes that car and puts it out of its misery.

N-Bomb

Looking good....seeing your build pics makes me jealous. I miss the days where I would actually mod my cars past bolt ons, now I have zero time to anything besides the occasional detail.

Thanks dude. I can't wait to see/hear it run for the first time. Never had a car that potent before!

That car has been on Craigslist for quite some time now. Almost a year if i remember correctly. All that money spent that still looks like ass and absolutely no mention of reliability mods.

The nicest thing about that car is the ebrake handle. I'd take the girl though.

Unrelated: A couple types of seats I'm looking at (OEM JDM)

V1/V2 STi
kt_net_sale-img600x450-1336532346syqnxu37739.jpg

V3/V4 STi
1999STiv5.jpg

What do you think? Wonder if the red-trimmed ones would go alright since I'm planning now to paint the car red outside, black inside? Or should I keep it plainer?

TylerD

Just got back from test driving a 2013 Gen Coupe 3.8 R-spec. Meh...

I think the car looks better in photos than in person. That front is so busy and the fake hood vents are gross. The LEDs on the rear do look really good.

Engine sounded nice, power was good, quality is definitely suspect. The shift knob was twisting a bit in my hand without me trying to turn it. Weird ass buzzing coming from the shifter when engine braking and the shifter felt kind of sloppy. It doesn't have a push or pull mechanism to get it into reverse you just have to pull it towards you and up extra hard. Didn't like that. Brake pedal was a bit on the mushy side but the brakes did feel good. Some reviews complain about the take up point of the clutch but I had no problem getting smooth shifts.

I was disappointed by the softness of the ride. Being the sportiest model I expected to be able to feel the road a bit better. It was very quiet at 75mph with the windows up. I like the driving feel of my Accord sedan more with regards to the ride.

This one was stickered at 32,225. Apparently the pulse brake lighting system is 2445. It had heavy hail damage and was marked down to 26,300. They would have sold it to me with my trade in 21,000.

Don't think it is going to stay on my list and I would probably be more interested in the 2.4 Turbo anyway. The car doesn't feel very focused really. It seems like it wants to be sporty and comfortable and to me ends up being a pretty uninspiring package. Just sitting in much less driving a S2000, 370z, BRZ is more exciting.

N-Bomb

Just got back from test driving a 2013 Gen Coupe 3.8 R-spec. Meh...

This one was stickered at 32,225. Apparently the pulse brake lighting system is 2445. It had heavy hail damage and was marked down to 26,300. They would have sold it to me with my trade in 21,000.

What's this pulse brake lighting system?

N-Bomb

A system that pulses the rear 3rd brake light under braking to make you more visible. No idea why it costs 2445, i suspect a stealth markup.

Oh geez, you can buy a little relay on the internet for like $15 that'll do the same thing. Markup it is.

Phew...FINALLY passed the driving license test in China yesterday. The process here is complicated and such a bitch (especially for a foreigner), but finally got through it!

Gonna pick up my 2012 Alpine White X1 (German Manufactured) in a couple days, can't wait!! The pricing here is so ridiculous though, the X1 I'm buying roughly translates to 80,000 USD...

Excited though, I've got sooo many mods lined up to be put on it already! Will post some pics once I pick her up.

I said WOW!

Are you there for work or something?

aznpxdd

I said WOW!

Are you there for work or something?

Yep.

And yep...the car prices here is sooo ridiculous. But the thing is all you see on the roads here are Audi's, BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover, Porsche, etc. Tons of really rich people here...

I took a look at the Evoque as well, but that shit costs 100,000+ USD here, good Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom