• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ameratsu

That's common on older cars when the drip rails get clogged and trap water in the bottom of the door. My Celica was starting that on the driver's side.

Proteges have well documented rust problems unfortunately. Rear quarter panels and doors are two of the biggest problem areas. I tried to use the rust as a point to try and talk him down a little but it didn't really help.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Decided to hold onto the Veloster a bit longer rather than get the GT86... I'm looking at starting my own business so I need the finances at the moment. Will probably pick the 86 up next year sometime.

In the meantime, I was bored so Dolan.

dkKIm.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Wow, I've never seen someone so defensive about their car. I mean, I know it's an emotional buy, but jeez.

I get aggravated by clearly uninformed posts? I get defensive about many cars, not just mine, on car forums. People spout too much nonsense about things they have no ideas about.

sfedai0

Banned
Nissan has never been known to have great interiors. Something about that grade of plastic is unappealing. Also, that speedo cluster is way too gaudy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
AlphaSnake owns a 370Z? This is the first I have heard of this.

AlphaSnake

Yeah, looks cheap with so much black plastic.

You just got an BMW X1...you're going to talk about cheap plastics? BMW has been lambasted for downgrading the quality of their interiors by using cheap plastics on their cars lately. The 2012 X3 loaner I had last month was riddled with cheap and flat plastic all over the front of the interior. My 370Z has less plastic than the interior of my 335i Coupe. Not to mention a lot less rattling, as well.

2012-BMW-X1-Interior.jpg

I had an 11 year old 740i and X5 4.4L for a week that my buddy bought at an auction before reselling it, and there wasn't a rattle out of either of the cars - both with 120K miles on them. Some of the later BMWs he bought with half that milage and less than half the age were nowhere near as nice. So let's not get into a discussion about interior cheapness, because BMW has been guilty of a lot of it and that is coming from an owner of a BMW.

Enron

Banned
Usually when this thread gets ugly, its coming from the same set of posters. Wish it wasn't always like that, but it is.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Usually when this thread gets ugly, its coming from the same set of posters. Wish it wasn't always like that, but it is.

To be fair, its AlphaSnake who tends to change the subject of whatever is being discussed to the fact that he owns a 370Z and a 335i and then gets confrontational about the values of those cars. It just gets uglier from there.

miyuru

I like cars and catching up on this thread every now and then, but just to be a little bit off-topic (sorry) - while I do respect and almost always agree with Alpha's opinions, I really don't feel how you voice your opinion is conducive to constructive discussion. I mean, c'mon...

Enron

Banned
Since we were talking about the 370Z.....I agree with the rear visibility concerns. I sat in one and fiddled with the interior a bit in one at the Atlanta Auto Show a couple of years back and I was appalled at the lack of rear visibility in that thing. I mean, it wasn't just a minor annoyance, it would have been a dealbreaker had I been considering buying one.

Rest of the car as far as I could tell without driving one though is that it was much better than the previous Z - a sentiment which seems to be universally shared.

You just got an BMW X1...you're going to talk about cheap plastics? BMW has been lambasted for downgrading the quality of their interiors by using cheap plastics on their cars lately. The 2012 X3 loaner I had last month was riddled with cheap and flat plastic all over the front of the interior. My 370Z has less plastic than the interior of my 335i Coupe. Not to mention a lot less rattling, as well.

2012-BMW-X1-Interior.jpg

I had an 11 year old 740i and X5 4.4L for a week that my buddy bought at an auction before reselling it, and there wasn't a rattle out of either of the cars - both with 120K miles on them. Some of the later BMWs he bought with half that milage and less than half the age were nowhere near as nice. So let's not get into a discussion about interior cheapness, because BMW has been guilty of a lot of it and that is coming from an owner of a BMW.

yeah, all models pre Hooydonk have shitty interior. News at 11.

This is what my 3 Series looks like:

interior.jpg

(not actually my 3 series)

N-Bomb

If you didn't drive a fully loaded, Sports + Navi 6-speed, you didn't drive a 370Z. That's just my opinion. If the interior didn't look that nice with the navigation/tech package, I'd have never bought the 370Z especially after growing to hate how ugly my old 350Z's interior was.

So, basically you need to drive the heaviest, most overloaded, least dynamically-impressive model?

Comparison:

2009-nissan-370z-interior-photo-242176-s-1280x782.jpg

ag_09370z_intright.jpg

I gotta say, aside from the orange felt and the contents of that center dash head unit area, they look mostly the same. I guess the surface material might be different. So to add navi, you're giving up a huge obnoxious-looking storage compartment and an (arguably) better looking and more functional HVAC control panel, as well as an easily-replaceable double-DIN radio? That seems like a poor trade, to me.

2nd part. I kinda disagree. Because the nav doesn't add much weight to the car anyways...so why not have it? Plus some cars HUD isn't just navigation....it shows other stuff like oil pressure and stuff.

My prejudice against nav stems mostly from people using it as a crutch, but add in that hard drive and whatever other crap it needs to operate, I bet it's a few pounds heavier than just a radio. Also, I feel like they just clutter up the dash.

My question here is - there used to be gauges for oil pressure, and volts and temp have been dumbed down - why would they put these back in on the navi if it's a driver's car, rather than putting them somewhere in forward line of sight? :\

AlphaSnake

I honestly don't care how people view how I construct my opinions on a gaming forum. I'll tell you whatever is on my mind, no different than my actions on car forums - where I don't get the same kind of reactions as this forum. I find people's random and uninformed opinions on certain automotive subjects feeling like nails on a chalk board here. And when someone like me gets defensive or aggressive, the first retort is usually "omg dude, chill out stop getting your panties all wet". Well no. I'll get my panties as wet as I want, change them, wet them some more, because I feel like it. I'm not sitting here cursing anyone out, so I think it's best you peeps don't take me so personally or seriously.

Also, that BMW interior I posted was of an X1 to illustrate my point that it's no better in the whole 'looking cheap covered with black plastic' department.

Edit: Call me the Chael Sonnen of this thread, I suppose.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Man, some of you wouldn't last a minute on any car forum. GAF has everyone overtly polite.

None of us should get offended, to be honest, but nothing Alpha is saying is out of the ordinary nor particularly wrong, and neither are the people he's arguing with. They are just like, opinions, man.

I'd rather have a nice and clean and functional media console area with a good looking nav than a cluttered S2000 driver's side with a bunch of misappropriated buttons all over the place.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I get aggravated by clearly uninformed posts? I get defensive about many cars, not just mine, on car forums. People spout too much nonsense about things they have no ideas about.

Uninformed is the only way I can post! Luckily cars are mostly emotional purchases or everyone would drive an Outback or a Mazda 3.

Alos, the De Thomaso Pantera won an Academy Award for best car of all time.

sfedai0

Banned
Man, some of you wouldn't last a minute on any car forum. GAF has everyone overtly polite.

None of us should get offended, to be honest, but nothing Alpha is saying is out of the ordinary nor particularly wrong, and neither are the people he's arguing with. They are just like, opinions, man.

I'd rather have a nice and clean and functional media console area with a good looking nav than a cluttered S2000 driver's side with a bunch of misappropriated buttons all over the place.

Overly polite? Its called having etiquette and being able to converse about cars in general without having to deal with the rampant one sided fanboyism that's so apparent on those car forums. And did you actually call the S2k cluttered? The S2k is about as spartan as a modern day sports car can get.

One side houses the radio controls/starter button. The other side has the HVAC. If that's cluttered, then I'm speechless.

AlphaSnake

Nah chill, dude. That extra 15-20lbs it adds prevents it from being a race car.

The difference between Hakeem and Eddy Curry, essentially.

reilo

Overly polite? Its called having etiquette and being able to converse about cars in general without having to deal with the rampant one sided fanboyism that's so apparent on those car forums.
Sure, but nothing that was said was offensive. If anything, Alpha is pretty milquetoast. Besides, this is the same type of passion that has driven to car manufacturers trying to one up each other at every opportunity (see E190 versus M3).

And did you actually call the S2k cluttered? The S2k is about as spartan as a modern day sports car can get.

I have an issue with the placement of the buttons for audio and HVAC controls. All they did was move it from the center dash to the wheel and added a flap over the radio to make it look empty. Why? Keep that stuff away from the gauges and the wheel.

sfedai0

Banned
I have an issue with the placement of the buttons for audio and HVAC controls. All they did was move it from the center dash to the wheel and added a flap over the radio to make it look empty. Why? Keep that stuff away from the gauges and the wheel.

Different strokes for different folks. IMO, the S2k is geared completely for the driver. Hence, the HVAC/radio controls are at arms reach. Hell, there's even a door to cover the HU. Nothing to distract him/her from the pure joy of driving a car.

AlphaSnake

Since you guys also get cranky at how defensive I am about my cars, I should remind you that my final car is a 2012 Audi A6 3.0 Supercharged.

So don't make fun of Audis, otherwise I'll be very defensive about it. K?

Edit: My mom has a 2012 Volvo S60, don't make fun of that. My brother has an M6 and V10 R8 - don't make fun of those. But for his wife he bought an Acura MDX...please make fun of that.

Hmmm, what else?

reilo

Different strokes for different folks. IMO, the S2k is geared completely for the driver. Hence, the HVAC/radio controls are at arms reach. Hell, there's even a door to cover the HU. Nothing to distract him/her from the pure joy of driving a car.

I've had this discussion before, but let me summarize:

1) If you are on a track, you won't be fiddling with the HVAC or the audio controls.
2) If you want to easily change the radio station or volume, why not place the controls on the wheel within THUMBS length?
3) If you were to take the S2000 and turned it into a track car, you are most likely taking out the media unit and replacing the wheel, yes? Guess what's still left? All of those useless buttons that aren't connected to anything!

I understand the INTENTION of the placement of the buttons, but from a UX perspective they are completely useless being in that area and just distract the eye from what's important: the dash. If you are going around a corner, you won't be thinking about taking your hand off the wheel to fiddle with the volume control.

Keep that shit in the center media console where you will only think about fiddling with it when stopped/safe cruising speed. If you want to easily change the volume on your radio, place the buttons within THUMBS length on the wheel.

N-Bomb

I've never found an uncovered radio distracting. Sounds like a burqa argument ;)

Since you guys also get cranky at how defensive I am about my cars, I should remind you that my final car is a 2012 Audi A6 3.0 Supercharged.

What in the world is a final car? If you mean a car to be a fat old man in, that sounds appropriate.

Edit: My mom has a 2012 Volvo S60, don't make fun of that. My brother has an M6 and V10 R8 - don't make fun of those. But for his wife he bought an Acura MDX...please make fun of that.

Volvos are for libraries. The M6 is a poser car, and the R8 is like "I wanted to come to the party in a sharp Italian suit (the Gallardo) but I decided that I'll just wear parachute pants and a leather jacket instead."

Edit - I forgot: the MDX is a piece of garbage and he must hate his wife! *runs*

Keep that shit in the center media console where you will only think about fiddling with it when stopped/safe cruising speed. If you want to easily change the volume on your radio, place the buttons within THUMBS length on the wheel.

I more or less agree. Only steering wheel mounted control I've ever really cared for was cruise - which I'll miss on my new car. Otherwise this kinda coincides with me not really enjoying gauges that are center-mounted.

Mustang or Camaro? I'm considering those for my next car. Thoughts?

Mustang as long as it's the current generation.

Side: See! I'm using multiquote now!

AlphaSnake

Mustang or Camaro? I'm considering those for my next car. Thoughts?

Also, I loathe Mazda's smiley cars!

Loathe them no more then? They're gone.

Also, drive both - it comes down to the interior. I find the Camaro's interior to be God awful in every which way. The Mustang is less offensive. Driving dynamics of the Camaro is certainly better and more advanced - but you may not notice the difference between the two (one has an archaic suspension design, the other a modern one).

The face-lifted 2012+ Mustangs look pretty good too. And if you're going for the full monte V8 of either car...get the 5.0 GT Stang

AlphaSnake

What in the world is a final car? If you mean a car to be a fat old man in, that sounds appropriate.

As in the last in my garage of cars? The one I purchased most recently?

Volvos are for libraries. The M6 is a poser car, and the R8 is like "I wanted to come to the party in a sharp Italian suit (the Gallardo) but I decided that I'll just wear parachute pants and a leather jacket instead."

Spoken like a true wannabe-car enthusiast. I expected no less, you took my bait. Hahaha. Good to know where you stand.

Edit: I also like how you gave absolutely NO 'thought' behind your Mustang choice, N-Bomb. You know, the very thing IJoel was asking for? What a well informed enthusiast.

AlphaSnake

I think he learned sarcasm simultaneously with multi-quote.

Well shit, I sure hope that's what it was. Though I wouldn't be surprised if he meant it. I was waiting for him to applaud the Acura MDX to confirm the sarcasm, but when I didn't get it...I was confuzled. :p

Enron: Stop whining. Let us talk some shit here. Car debates usually get a little hot. It's a passionate subject. Aussies have killed each other in Bathurst over V8 Supercars. We're just talking on teh interwebz.

IJoel

Loathe them no more then? They're gone.

Also, drive both - it comes down to the interior. I find the Camaro's interior to be God awful in every which way. The Mustang is less offensive. Driving dynamics of the Camaro is certainly better and more advanced - but you may not notice the difference between the two (one has an archaic suspension design, the other a modern one).

The face-lifted 2012+ Mustangs look pretty good too. And if you're going for the full monte V8 of either car...get the 5.0 GT Stang

Yes, I agree with the interior comment. Camaro's current (2012) interiors leave much to be desired. 2013 will see improvements I think. I do prefer Camaro's exterior look though.

Actually, compared to actual car forums, this thread is the least mature and the least informed. Its like gaming console fanboyism here....errr but its expected...

AlphaSnake

Yes, I agree with the interior comment. Camaro's current (2012) interiors leave much to be desired. 2013 will see improvements I think. I do prefer Camaro's exterior look though.

The Camaro probably does look a bit nicer overall than the Mustang, apart from the fake gill slits in the rear. And it definitely looks gorgeous in the darker or more subtle colors which downplay some of the more awkward lines the car has. Also, the new steering wheel for the 2011+ fixes some of the interior ugliness...it's just that center console and shifter (which can easily be replaced) that ruin it.

That's what makes this a tough choice. The Mustang has a number of drawbacks, but so does the Camaro. Choosing a clear victor is tough. Have you considered the Challenger? It's not quite the same sized car, but it is a muscle car and it is quite big. It's a coupe with a big motor (I wouldn't get the V6, car is too heavy for such a motor). And they are surprisingly fun cars, and handle surprisingly well too.

Unfortunately, they're also more expensive :\

IJoel

The Camaro probably does look a bit nicer overall than the Mustang, apart from the fake gill slits in the rear. And it definitely looks gorgeous in the darker or more subtle colors which downplay some of the more awkward lines the car has. Also, the new steering wheel for the 2011+ fixes some of the interior ugliness...it's just that center console and shifter (which can easily be replaced) that ruin it.

That's what makes this a tough choice. The Mustang has a number of drawbacks, but so does the Camaro. Choosing a clear victor is tough. Have you considered the Challenger? It's not quite the same sized car, but it is a muscle car and it is quite big. It's a coupe with a big motor (I wouldn't get the V6, car is too heavy for such a motor). And they are surprisingly fun cars, and handle surprisingly well too.

Unfortunately, they're also more expensive :
For some reason I really don't like the Challenger. Both Mustang and Camaro have, how do I put it, a more refined/sleeker look.

AlphaSnake

Actually, compared to actual car forums, this thread is the least mature and the least informed. Its like gaming console fanboyism here....errr but its expected...

:'(

Fortunately, I don't play videogames anymore.

successkidfuckyeah.jpg

AlphaSnake

For some reason I really don't like the Challenger. Both Mustang and Camaro have, how do I put it, a more refined/sleeker look.

They do. On one hand, that's their attraction. On the other hand, the retro look is the attraction of the Challenger, which is why it does cater and sell to an older demographic.

What motors are you considering? The V6s or the V8s?

reilo

There's some technical knowledge that doesn't get represented here like a brand or car-specific forum would have, but as far as maturity? This thread is leagues beyond the tripe that is out there.

At least there's no rampant homophobia and racism in this thread.

And also no libertarian rants.

But on topic, the S2K is not exactly that friendly either because when you drive it at the limit (and that cars begs to be driven at the limit), it is very unpredictable. It doesn't let you know when it's going to snap oversteer, it just does. It's a cliff; you hit the limit and it just goes.

IJoel

They do. On one hand, that's their attraction. On the other hand, the retro look is the attraction of the Challenger, which is why it does cater and sell to an older demographic.

What motors are you considering? The V6s or the V8s?
Would love to get V8, but it raises the price quite a bit. We'll see when the time comes.

ascii42

Looks like they are adding a touch screen interface with optional nav. According to one of the comments it's standard on all LT and SS models. So only the base LS won't get it. It looks somewhat out of place, but it seems to function well, and I thought the Camaro's previous radio looked weird anyway. Apparently this new interface drops the CD player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0HIPeUk6ss&feature=player_embedded

Zyzyxxz

So don't make fun of Audis, otherwise I'll be very defensive about it. K?

Hmmm, what else?

Dude it's an MDX, nobody gives a shit about that car. It's even further off enthusiast radar than the Lexus RX.

Halvie

Banned

x2

at a ford dealer yesterday, and am starting to really like the 2013. Front end looks much better imo even if it is a pretty small change.

ameratsu

Eh at least the bickering is normally contained to car-related topics. And posters here use complete sentences.

AlphaSnake

Dude it's an MDX, nobody gives a shit about that car. It's even further off enthusiast radar than the Lexus RX.

My post wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

Coincidentally, the last car he bought his wife was a Lexus RX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom