• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash_69

I have decided to take the plunge and buy a used 350z. Going to view a few tomorrow with very low mileage.

Is there anything that I should be looking out for/common 350z wear and tear issues?

ps- Alpha, your 370z is hot as fuck. Love those wheels.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I have decided to take the plunge and buy a used 350z. Going to view a few tomorrow with very low mileage.

Is there anything that I should be looking out for/common 350z wear and tear issues?

ps- Alpha, your 370z is hot as fuck. Love those wheels.

Get a 2007 or 2008, they have the VQ35HR and are significantly quicker and more fun to drive. Try, if you can, to get one with navi - it's not a radical difference on the 350Z's interior, but it does complete the look of it - otherwise, fitting a navi into the center console is very, very easy.

Mechanically, some 2007s and possibly 2008s had clutch master cylinder recalls - make sure that recall was performed. Feel free to send me any links of the Zs you're looking at, and I'll take a look at the pics, a CarFax (if available in link) and give you some advice. I know these cars in and out. If you can, track down a 350Z with the Grand Touring package, it offers the Nismo 18F/19R Rays wheels and Brembo brakes, in addition to the tech goodies such bluetooth and navi - they are very rare, but sought after and have kept their value extremely well for that reason. What's your budget if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks on the compliment btw. :)

Ash_69

As stated a few pages ago, where I drive so little, I'm very conscious that I do not want to drop buckets of cash into this although obviously want a nice little toy. ;)

The choice I have for the amount I'm looking to spend is either get an 07-08 with around 60,000 miles or anywhere from an 03-05 with under 30,000 miles (there are quite a few out there surprisingly!).

I've noted your comments on the improvements in the later models but bear in mind, I'm coming from an Audi A4 so whatever I get will feel rapid.

I'm also from the UK so I don't think we got the same choice of models as you did in the US.

With that in mind, what would you go for and are there any major issues with the older models that you're aware of? Thanks in advance and I promise not to further hijack this thread!

Also, I loathe Mazda's smiley cars!

Boo this man! Lol, just kidding.

In all honesty though, the smiley isn't that bad... on a Mazdaspeed3. The car looks like it's grinning and I think it's perfect for a car like that since the driver is probably grinning ear to ear every time he drives that monster. On the Miata though, it almost looks like an abomination sometimes, so I'm pretty glad I got a pre-smiley Miata lol.

Regarding the Camaro vs Mustang. My experience with the Camaro is that it drives like a boat for the most part, though that impression comes from a 2010 model, I found it a little cumbersome for daily driving. Also, that interior is seriously horrible... it's almost damn near impossible to park it backwards since there's very little visibility at the rear. I haven't been able to drive a current-gen Mustang though since none of my friends own one, so I can't comment on that.

Anyway, has anybody ever been refused a test drive before? I was at a Scion dealership earlier to look at an FR-S and I was refused a test drive since they didn't trust my driving skills because I'm less than 25 years old. Ironically enough, the salesman who approached me was a little taken aback since a "kid" like me drives a 6 speed Miata. I wasn't too happy about it since I really wanted to test drive it and my bro is a serious buyer, but whatever, they just lost a customer.

AlphaSnake

As stated a few pages ago, where I drive so little, I'm very conscious that I do not want to drop buckets of cash into this although obviously want a nice little toy. ;)

The choice I have for the amount I'm looking to spend is either get an 07-08 with around 60,000 miles or anywhere from an 03-05 with under 30,000 miles (there are quite a few out there surprisingly!).

I've noted your comments on the improvements in the later models but bear in mind, I'm coming from an Audi A4 so whatever I get will feel rapid.

I'm also from the UK so I don't think we got the same choice of models as you did in the US.

With that in mind, what would you go for and are there any major issues with the older models that you're aware of? Thanks in advance and I promise not to further hijack this thread!

Major issues from 2003-2006 are transmission. 3rd and 5th gear synchros killing themselves at no fault of the driver - this was a notorious issue that prompted nine (9!) different revisions for the Z's terrible 6-speed transmission - it was the prime reason my 350Z was an automatic, unfortunately (I really, really wanted a Z as you see). 2003 and 2004 models suffer from suspension geometry issues that can sometimes be hard to correct with just an alignment, and if not fixed properly by Nissan early on into the car's life, will cause enormous tire wear continuously. 05s and 06s with the "rev-up" motor (standard VQ35DE that revs to 7000RPM, 6-speed only) have notorious oil burning problems.

My suggestion? Find yourself that 2007 or 2008 with the slightly higher mileage. I beat the absolute piss out of my 2006 for 50K miles, and it never once gave me an issue. For the most part, Zs are extremely reliable - but without question the most reliable are definitely the later model cars. Avoid the 2003s-2005s because they are outdated, they have poor headlight visibility (the xenon projector is puny and not a real projector), the headlight is a little uglier on the inside, the taillights aren't LEDs and look very bland, the interior lacks certain improvements made for the 2006+ cars where the quality of plastics went up, and the amount of plastics used diminished. The standard brake rotors were made larger on 2006+ cars, and calipers were improved as well.

In UK you guys have the GT as the top of the line option, which offers the 18-inch lightweight Rays wheels.

Here's some I found, could be far from you, but I'm fairly certain they have navi despite the tiny pics.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/...mission/manual/onesearchad/used,nearlynew,new
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../page/1/radius/200/postcode/se254aa?logcode=p
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...red-listing/dealer/11913/usedcars?logcode=flp
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../page/1/radius/200/postcode/se254aa?logcode=p

Seems like the car is offered only Base and in GT over in England and most have Navi - which is opposite of American offerings. Get the GT, for sure.

Edit: You may know this, but seems like the model years in the UK are a little odd - but any 350Z with a hump on the bonnet means it is the VQ37 motor (to be 100% sure, check that the tach displays a redline of 7500RPM). If there is no hump on the bonnet, it is a VQ35DE. Seems like some 2007s in the UK still have the older motor - you'll notice that in the above links.

ascii42

Boo this man! Lol, just kidding.

In all honesty though, the smiley isn't that bad... on a Mazdaspeed3. The car looks like it's grinning and I think it's perfect for a car like that since the driver is probably grinning ear to ear every time he drives that monster. On the Miata though, it almost looks like an abomination sometimes, so I'm pretty glad I got a pre-smiley Miata lol.

Regarding the Camaro vs Mustang. My experience with the Camaro is that it drives like a boat for the most part, though that impression comes from a 2010 model, I found it a little cumbersome for daily driving. Also, that interior is seriously horrible... it's almost damn near impossible to park it backwards since there's very little visibility at the rear. I haven't been able to drive a current-gen Mustang though since none of my friends own one, so I can't comment on that.
Thankfully they've added a back-up camera as an option. I haven't driven a Camaro with one, but I'd go as far to guess that it's necessary. I wouldn't buy a Camaro without one.

Anyway, has anybody ever been refused a test drive before? I was at a Scion dealership earlier to look at an FR-S and I was refused a test drive since they didn't trust my driving skills because I'm less than 25 years old. Ironically enough, the salesman who approached me was a little taken aback since a "kid" like me drives a 6 speed Miata. I wasn't too happy about it since I really wanted to test drive it and my bro is a serious buyer, but whatever, they just lost a customer.

Did the salesman know you drove a Miata before he refused you? Seems like that makes you the exact target for the FR-S. I have never been turned down for a test drive, but I was 24 years old the first time I went, and it was a Malibu. The sportiest thing I've test driven is a V6 Challenger (they didn't have any V8's in), and I already owned the Malibu at that point, so the salesman would have seen that I already owned a car nearly as expensive.

AlphaSnake

Thankfully they've added a back-up camera as an option. I haven't driven a Camaro with one, but I'd go as far to guess that it's necessary. I wouldn't buy a Camaro without one.

The whole issue of rear visibility comes from being too new to a car or having a hard time adapting to something new. I drove the Camaro, parallel parked it just fine, backed it into spots just fine, backed into angled spots even - no problems. I just make have all three of my mirrors set up correctly, the way I was taught at BMW's performance school like 7 years ago. I've driven the CTS Coupe briefly, and again, same as the Camaro didn't have an issue adapting to its visibility.

The one and only car I never got used to driving, ever, was the X6 and that's because the rear window is too small to fit when looked at through the rear view mirror - and the upward angle of the rear deck forces you to see simply straight back and slightly up. So because of the car's elevated stance, you simply see OVER the cars behind you with a significantly smaller window to make it all worse - so you see nothing at all. That car genuinely needs sensors and a camera as standard equipment - otherwise, it's like driving a commercial Ford Econoline van.

As far as I'm concerned, the CTS, Camaro, Corvette, and even my own 370Z are very easy cars to drive and see out of.

ascii42

The whole issue of rear visibility comes from being too new to a car or having a hard time adapting to something new. I drove the Camaro, parallel parked it just fine, backed it into spots just fine, backed into angled spots even - no problems. I just make have all three of my mirrors set up correctly, the way I was taught at BMW's performance school like 7 years ago. I've driven the CTS Coupe briefly, and again, same as the Camaro didn't have an issue adapting to its visibility.

The one and only car I never got used to driving, ever, was the X6 and that's because the rear window is too small to fit when looked at through the rear view mirror - and the upward angle of the rear deck forces you to see simply straight back and slightly up. So because of the car's elevated stance, you simply see OVER the cars behind you with a significantly smaller window to make it all worse - so you see nothing at all. That car genuinely needs sensors and a camera as standard equipment - otherwise, it's like driving a commercial Ford Econoline van.

As far as I'm concerned, the CTS, Camaro, Corvette, and even my own 370Z are very easy cars to drive and see out of.
Yeah. I'm sure that's part of it. When I drove the Camaro, the only car I had was my Olds. So I was used to seeing this when I turned around:
zF0fml.jpg
oGs6sl.jpg

The car has no passenger side mirror, and has a tiny driver's side mirror. The car is so long that I can usually see cars in my rear view mirror if there's enough space to move in front of them. So I kind of got used to not using mirrors. It took some adjusting to get used to driving my Malibu, thanks to its relatively thick pillars, but now I'm used to it. Like you said, learning to adjust the mirrors properly helped with that.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yeah. I'm sure that's part of it. When I drove the Camaro, the only car I had was my Olds. So I was used to seeing this when I turned around:
zF0fml.jpg
oGs6sl.jpg

The car has no passenger side mirror, and has a tiny driver's side mirror. The car is so long that I can usually see cars in my rear view mirror if there's enough space to move in front of them. So I kind of got used to not using mirrors. It took some adjusting to get used to driving my Malibu, thanks to its relatively thick pillars, but now I'm used to it. Like you said, learning to adjust the mirrors properly helped with that.
Velvet bloodbath.

The whole issue of rear visibility comes from being too new to a car or having a hard time adapting to something new.

You're probably right about this, and for some reason though that's the biggest thing I remember about the Camaro and I don't know why lol.

Did the salesman know you drove a Miata before he refused you?

Yep, he did. I parked my car next to where the salesmen hang out and he even asked if it was stick. One of my buddies at another dealership told me that their sales manager was probably profiling me and decided that I wasn't a serious buyer since I was just wearing some cargo shorts, hi-tops and looked too young to buy a car in the next few days, so it could be for this reason which I can see why they would. Funny thing though is that the Mazda dealership next door is the opposite. I stopped by to look at the 2012 special edition Miata's and was offered a test drive for it and a Mazdaspeed3 after seeing my Miata. I politely declined since the 2012 SE was only auto and I probably would lust after a MS3 if I decided to drive it haha.

Anyway, even if I was gonna buy one, I probably wouldn't get the FR-S and go for the BRZ instead. The interior for the FR-S was a little lackluster... let's just say if you hate frugal interiors the FR-S probably isn't for you. Other than that though, it looks like a nice car, wish I could actually give driving impressions but you know lol.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

Let the Better Business Bureau know because that's some horseshit. Or shoot a note/phonecall to the GM of the dealership or go talk to Toyota USA directly. Even Audi let me test drive their S lines.

Circle T

Just to throw a wrench into this minefield of a thread, I picked up my new (to me) car today....

It's a 2003 350Z Track, with only 74k on the clock. A few minor paint blemishes here and there, but the interior is spotless, and it rides like new. The wheels are in perfect shape, and you gotta love those big gold Brembos. I'm LOVING it.

I really wanted a Subaru BRZ, but due to their limited availability, and dealer markups, it just wasn't going to work anytime in the near future. This will be a nice hold-over for a couple years until I see what comes of the new GTI, the new Mazda 6(MS6?), and the STi version of the BRZ. Should be a new Z in a couple years too, so who knows. In the meantime, though, I couldn't be happier.

IMG_20120714_205446.jpg

Circle T

Smoove. It's like everyone in this thread (except Enron) is buying new cars every day. :eek:

I really wanted a BRZ, but they are just too hard to come by right now. You either get one from a dealer with a bunch of options you don't want, and possibly with a few $k markup, or you order one and wait until late this year or early next year for it to arrive. My old car wasn't going to last much longer, so I had to pull the trigger soon.

I looked at GTIs and Mazdaspeed 3s, but with both due for replacement soon, I just didn't want to lock myself into a new $26k+ car that will soon feel old news. The Z was a relative steal, so I can pay it off in a year or so, and then look at what is new and tempting.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I really wanted a BRZ, but they are just too hard to come by right now. You either get one from a dealer with a bunch of options you don't want, and possibly with a few $k markup, or you order one and wait until late this year or early next year for it to arrive. My old car wasn't going to last much longer, so I had to pull the trigger soon.

I looked at GTIs and Mazdaspeed 3s, but with both due for replacement soon, I just didn't want to lock myself into a new $26k+ car that will soon feel old news. The Z was a relative steal, so I can pay it off in a year or so, and then look at what is new and tempting.

You shouldn't be paying $26k+ for a new MS3 anyway.

AlphaSnake

Just to throw a wrench into this minefield of a thread, I picked up my new (to me) car today....

It's a 2003 350Z Track, with only 74k on the clock. A few minor paint blemishes here and there, but the interior is spotless, and it rides like new. The wheels are in perfect shape, and you gotta love those big gold Brembos. I'm LOVING it.

I really wanted a Subaru BRZ, but due to their limited availability, and dealer markups, it just wasn't going to work anytime in the near future. This will be a nice hold-over for a couple years until I see what comes of the new GTI, the new Mazda 6(MS6?), and the STi version of the BRZ. Should be a new Z in a couple years too, so who knows. In the meantime, though, I couldn't be happier.

IMG_20120714_205446.jpg

Smart choice. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I just came back home and had a roaring time in my 370Z driving back.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, so a friend of ours is interested in buying my 2009 Acura TSX. I was previously looking at newer cars last year but we ended up buying a new diesel Jetta wagon for my wife instead. However, now the possibility of upgrading is coming again and I'm looking around.

I want to switch over to a manual transmission driven car this time and they are proving difficult to find. I really kind of wanted a new 3 series BMW as I quite like the styling, but I cannot find a manual version less than 300 miles away. I did, however, run across a couple Audi A4s.

So, for anyone familiar with these cars, what's the general thoughts on them at this point? Reliable enough? I love the styling and a brief test drive felt great but I'm still wondering if I would be entering into a world of trouble with an A4.

I need to stick with a 4-door sedan due to family needs, so a coupe is right out, and the A4 seems like it might be a nice upgrade from a TSX.

Circle T

You shouldn't be paying $26k+ for a new MS3 anyway.

Well, the few I looked at all had the Tech Package, so they stickered for ~$26k. As I've been shopping for them for a while, though, I know that 2 of the 3 I saw had been sitting on the lot for a few months now. So, no, I wouldn't have paid $26k for it, but that was list.

Smart choice. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I just came back home and had a roaring time in my 370Z driving back.

Thanks! Given that it's the Track, it is devoid of many of the upscale options (Nav, Leather, Bose), but I don't need/want that stuff anyway. This will be a good base for me to get back into auto-x.

Yup. Pagani may be the last of the makers of true exotics.

Their cars just seem so pure and undiluted compared to contemporary Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and the like. Similar to Gordon Murray and the McLaren F1, it's refreshing to see one man design and engineer the car exactly as he sees fit. For such a tiny company to have come from nowhere and gone so far has to be one of the great supercar success stories.

I can't get enough of the recent Huayra coverage. Drive's awesome factory tour is one of the best glimpses of the company and its workings I've come across.

EVO's behind-the-scenes footage of the Huayra's construction is 10 minutes of unadulterated car porn.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
So which do you guys think looks better, the E39 or the F10? I really like the E39 but the F10 looks great too, an improvement over the E60.

Circle T

I know it's not what you asked, but if you're a driver, nothing newer than the E36.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think he is asking about 5-series, not 3-series. On that note, next to the E30 M3, the E39 M5 is my second favorite BMW ever. They look great, sound great, and with 400hp on tap, go like hell too. Plus, it was made just before they started to go a little overboard with the tech. New ones are nice, sure, but the E39 balances a great drivers car with ample luxury quite well, IMO.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
For me it goes like this:

E39 > E28 > E34 > F10 > E60

The M5 has consistently been good to great. E60 is last due solely to its unfortunate looks.

E60 is just bland. As for the F10, I really like it. It looks like it has some character and some class which the E60 lacked.

So I hydroplaned on a country road driving to my sisters house in rural virginia, and spun and hit a fence.

We are all okay but RIP E36.

I have an e30 that it will donate its soul into.

aznpxdd

This thread is so hilarious...say one negative thing (even if its true) about the Z and you get instant shitted on by Alpha. Sigh...

N-Bomb

This thread is so hilarious...say one negative thing (even if its true) about the Z and you get instant shitted on by Alpha. Sigh...

Hey, show some respect. How many other sports cars can say they share a platform with not just an SUV, but a crossover AND a minivan?

800px-2002-2004_NISSAN_ELGRAND.jpg

AlphaSnake

We're over that hump. A little late to whine.

Hey, show some respect. How many other sports cars can say they share a platform with not just an SUV, but a crossover AND a minivan?

800px-2002-2004_NISSAN_ELGRAND.jpg

So there's something wrong with having good handling cars on the road? What kind of crap is that? Hahaha. First of all, the platforms are so greatly different between every car, they can't even be compared. Nissan designed the Z platform as the original platform to underpin the car and then decided to stretch and revamp it for every other application as they see fit. It's a great idea, because everything released with the FM platform handled extremely well and gave Infiniti the edge they needed to compete against BMW, especially the G35 and G37 sedans against the 3-series.

It's not just logical to do this, it's smart business practice.

Straws.

You're grasping at them.

Let the Better Business Bureau know because that's some horseshit. Or shoot a note/phonecall to the GM of the dealership or go talk to Toyota USA directly. Even Audi let me test drive their S lines.

Yup, gave them a call first thing in the morning today and got their "weekday" sales manager as he called himself. Dude apologized in behalf of the "weekend" sales manager but never explained why. He did though offer me to come by the dealership this week and said he personally would attend to me. I'll probably drop by on Friday if I'm not doing anything.

Hey, show some respect. How many other sports cars can say they share a platform with not just an SUV, but a crossover AND a minivan?[/IMG]

I love the Z's but this still seriously cracks me up. I remember being at an Infiniti dealership a few years ago with a friend looking at the G37's and saw the FX and mentioned that they shared the same platform. The salesman didn't believe it until he pulled out the spec sheet for the G and FX and there in Times New Roman clearly saying "Nissan FM platform." There's nothing wrong with what Nissan did, but it still is quite funny.

N-Bomb

It's not just logical to do this, it's smart business practice.

Straws.

You're grasping at them.

I am, yes. But it's still less respectable than a car built on its own platform.

Look back at the original 240Z. Do you really think that, given another 30 or so years, that the 350/370 will be as celebrated as that one? One reason is that it's less pure of a vehicle. The blood line is diluted.

Long live the Toyobaru!

h3ro

I am, yes. But it's still less respectable than a car built on its own platform.

Look back at the original 240Z. Do you really think that, given another 30 or so years, that the 350/370 will be as celebrated as that one? One reason is that it's less pure of a vehicle. The blood line is diluted.

Long live the Toyobaru!
This is some 'Final Fantasy on 360'-level nonsense right here.

So I hydroplaned on a country road driving to my sisters house in rural virginia, and spun and hit a fence.

We are all okay but RIP E36.

I have an e30 that it will donate its soul into.

That sucks man! I have been looking for decent E30s all over, but they aren't exactly common here in Indiana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom