• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Valkyr Junkie said:
On the plus side, I believe the premium charge for black cherry has been removed from the 2011 model.

Indeed it has. But the cost for Navigation has gone up $300 thanks to the rear view cam. :\

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Zyzyxxz said:
Omg you are making this such an easier decision. I must test drive this car ASAP.
In the BYO, click on "see full details" for the equipment spec.

I loaded up a Sport to $20,758. Rosso Brilliante paint, auto, Sirius Satellite Radio, the convinence package, engine block heater, ambient lighting, and racing stripes.

AlphaSnake

My 350Z is mostly back to stock now. Left some stuff on it for the next owner. Going tomorrow to sign papers on the 370Z. =)

Igoritza

Banned
wow .. you people really have a lot of money ... :)

im stuck with Fiat Stilo Multiwagon 2004 JTD, and i paid it in 2009, 5000 euros ... that was the best choice, cause new cars are expensive for me.

Pein

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Indeed it has. But the cost for Navigation has gone up $300 thanks to the rear view cam. :\
Back up cam is a must on the 370Z IMO. When I test drove a 370Z last year it had the most awful rear visibility of any car I've ever driven. But damn I still wanted it so bad if only financing came through for me.

Alpha, you seen the 370Z that hit mid 12s with just bolt ons and a tune? that thing is sick.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
siddx said:
I second the Hyundia suggestion. Best bang for buck. All the opinions I've heard/read from reviewers and more importantly owners, have been fantastic.

Malibu is a good car but it's getting old and doesn't quite stack up like it used to.

that and the new one will probably be revealed at the NAIAS in a little over a month from now , the malibu in its current form is a bit long in the tooth, fusion is my fav in the segment right now and of course theres the sonata.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
There's some good news and bad news on the Fiat 500.

The good news is that the Abarth version is on the docket for a US release. The bad news is that it's allegedly going to come AFTER the planned electric version, so figure late 2012 at the earliest.

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/11/19/fiat-500-abarth-coming-to-u-s-all-electric-500-bev/

If anyone wants to complain loudly, I'm part of a Facebook focus group, so organize a petition or something, and I'll forward it to them.

I was pretty hyped for the FIAT 500 but 15,500 is too much for a car that tiny with a 1.4L.

For that money, I'd rather get the new elantra with a 1.8, roomier interior, 10 year warranty, and 40 mpg. It's pretty nice-looking too.

AlphaSnake

Pein said:
Back up cam is a must on the 370Z IMO. When I test drove a 370Z last year it had the most awful rear visibility of any car I've ever driven. But damn I still wanted it so bad if only financing came through for me.

Alpha, you seen the 370Z that hit mid 12s with just bolt ons and a tune? that thing is sick.

Yes indeed. Jnaut, right? 12.3 @ 111MPH with bolt ons + tune + 4.08 rear. Unreal. He actually said his best trap speed was 113MPH, which is even nuttier.

To put that time into perspective, that's faster than a stock E92 BMW M3. And every bit as fast as an E60 BMW M5 and M6. It's faster than an Audi R8, but slightly slower than an R8 V10.

Nissan designed two bargain priced supercars somehow in one generation. God bless their engineering.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
akachan ningen said:
I was pretty hyped for the FIAT 500 but 15,500 is too much for a car that tiny with a 1.4L.

For that money, I'd rather get the new elantra with a 1.8, roomier interior, 10 year warranty, and 40 mpg. It's pretty nice-looking too.

That's a good choice, too. Hyundai's on fire lately, with the Genesis, Genesis Coupe, Equus, Tuscon, and Santa Fe.

BTW, this stoplight concept is awesome.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/20/hourglass-traffic-light-concept-is-street-racings-best-friend/

Zyzyxxz

twinturbo2 said:
There's some good news and bad news on the Fiat 500.

The good news is that the Abarth version is on the docket for a US release. The bad news is that it's allegedly going to come AFTER the planned electric version, so figure late 2012 at the earliest.

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/11/19/fiat-500-abarth-coming-to-u-s-all-electric-500-bev/

If anyone wants to complain loudly, I'm part of a Facebook focus group, so organize a petition or something, and I'll forward it to them.

WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF!

Why did they erect that nice looking dealership in DTLA if they aren't gonna offer the regular 500 at first?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Zyzyxxz said:
WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF!

Why did they erect that nice looking dealership in DTLA if they aren't gonna offer the regular 500 at first?
They are offering the 500 first, the 500C, Abarth and electric versions all come later.

First off, I'm not a car guy at all. Never clicked on this thread before.

After having not had a car for many years, I kinda want one. The last vehicle I owned was a 2 door Tracker. I loved it. I loved how I was high up yet compact in size, ie, easy to park.

I kinda want something similar: a 2 door compact SUV. I was thinking of RAV4, but supposedly they don't make those in 2 door anymore.

Is there something out there that would fit the bill? Japanese preferable, but doesn't have to be. Not really concerned about offroading capabilites.

What about buying used? If I were to track down a preowned 2 door RAV4 would that be a safe bet?

EDIT: Fuel efficiency and reliability are way more important to me than speed or horsepower.

Zyzyxxz

Whoompthereitis said:
First off, I'm not a car guy at all. Never clicked on this thread before.

After having not had a car for many years, I kinda want one. The last vehicle I owned was a 2 door Tracker. I loved it. I loved how I was high up yet compact in size, ie, easy to park.

I kinda want something similar: a 2 door compact SUV. I was thinking of RAV4, but supposedly they don't make those in 2 door anymore.

Is there something out there that would fit the bill? Japanese preferable, but doesn't have to be. Not really concerned about offroading capabilites.

What about buying used? If I were to track down a preowned 2 door RAV4 would that be a safe bet?

EDIT: Fuel efficiency and reliability are way more important to me than speed or horsepower.

I would check out the old Suzuki SUV's too, those are tiny ass SUV's. I think an old RAV4 is a safe bet though since most of those things seem to last their owners a while.

Thanks man. I've actually been looking at the Kia Soul as well. I know it doesn't meet the requirements I mentioned earlier, but something about it appeals to me.

Maybe I should look into used though and get a Rav 4...

Bought a 95 2 door Tracker today. Paid $ 4000, but the shit is immaculate. Looks like it rolled off the assembly line yesterday. Amazing.

Older guy took real good care of it. Not a spot of rust on it- the interior and the engine are mint. Only reason he was selling was due to his wife. She has bad arthritis and needs something with power steering.

So excited to be a vehicle owner again!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Whoompthereitis said:
Bought a 95 2 door Tracker today. Paid $ 4000, but the shit is immaculate. Looks like it rolled off the assembly line yesterday. Amazing.

Older guy took real good care of it. Not a spot of rust on it- the interior and the engine are mint. Only reason he was selling was due to his wife. She has bad arthritis and needs something with power steering.

So excited to be a vehicle owner again!
Sounds good. Pics?

Went to the LA Auto Show yesterday. I was fairly certain that a Mustang GT was going to be my next car purchase but after seeing a STI in person, I'm not so sure. Then there's the Subaru concept car that they're working on with Toyota. That shit was hot.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Jamesfrom818 said:
Went to the LA Auto Show yesterday. I was fairly certain that a Mustang GT was going to be my next car purchase but after seeing a STI in person, I'm not so sure. Then there's the Subaru concept car that they're working on with Toyota. That shit was hot.
Didja see the Cinqueciento?

Zyzyxxz

Came back from the LA Auto show and I have to say Lotus' completely new lineup looks badass except for a few minor quibbles... the Elise looks like crap. Its basically like they had really good concepts for the universal design theme of the Elan, Elite, and Esprit but they just decided to cut and simplify the Elise.

I test drove a Toyota Highlander Hybrid, it was smooth and alright but when I test drove the Kia Optima, damn that thing beats the Camry like nothing. It feels right and not so cheap, the car is built so well and the interior is tits.

Unfortunately I missed my chance to test drive a Camaro SS by a few minutes.

God, the Volt has the interior quality of a toaster from K-Mart.
Actually, I found that most interiors are getting worse.
The best one was the Buick Regale. I was also impressed by the Genesis, I love that instrument cluster:D.

aznpxdd

I was impressed with Equus' rear seats, much better than the LS460's rear seats. Too bad they didn't let us in the A8, really wanted to check out the interior as well.

robox

Zyzyxxz said:
Came back from the LA Auto show and I have to say Lotus' completely new lineup looks badass except for a few minor quibbles... the Elise looks like crap. Its basically like they had really good concepts for the universal design theme of the Elan, Elite, and Esprit but they just decided to cut and simplify the Elise.

i liked the new lotus designs, even if they were in a pretty radical direction.
until i read an interview about them with the lotus design director.
this is a case when learning of the principles puts a damper on the actual product. he's a pretty talented guy, doing stints at ferrari and citroen prior, but he comes across as trampling on the tradition and philosophy of lotus cars.

original interview at car design news requires paid membership to read.

AlphaSnake said:
Got my 370Z today. =)
Talk about it!!! What'd u think of it!!!? Cabin noise? Feel? What version!? Talk you! (I did this weird thread on mustang vs. fiesta a few weeks ago) interested to hear your take on the Z. :)

Jamesfrom818 said:
Subaru's concept was there. Looked pretty hot. Much better than the FT-86 and I really like the FT-86.
hmmmm. As far as I know all I saw was the Impreza Concept. that's a four door. So no it wasn't there.

Zyzyxxz

r - b - x said:
i liked the new lotus designs, even if they were in a pretty radical direction.
until i read an interview about them with the lotus design director.
this is a case when learning of the principles puts a damper on the actual product. he's a pretty talented guy, doing stints at ferrari and citroen prior, but he comes across as trampling on the tradition and philosophy of lotus cars.

original interview at car design news requires paid membership to read.

This is what Lotus wanted though, you can stand behind your philosophy strong forever while your company goes bankrupt or stays stagnant or you can evolve. As much as I like Lotus for their hardcore track oriented cars they as a company wanted to expand and be seen as real sports car makers again. If this helps them reach 6-8000 sales then so be it unfortunately.

AlphaSnake

godofcookery said:
Talk about it!!! What'd u think of it!!!? Cabin noise? Feel? What version!? Talk you! (I did this weird thread on mustang vs. fiesta a few weeks ago) interested to hear your take on the Z. :)

This is my first stick car and it's a challenge, but I'm really trying to get a hang of this. I've driven a handful of manual transmissions, but nothing quite as annoying as this. I complained about the clutch in the 350Z (thus, mine was automatic), but refinement and smoothness have made the 370Z's clutch lack feel and feedback. It catches high and it's going to require muscle memory to remember where exactly it grabs. I'm not ashamed to say this, but I was practicing starting and stopping in a parking lot, and I stalled the car a little more than 10 times in a span of 45 minutes. Towards those last 15-20 minutes, I got progressively better, to the point where I'd do close to 20 starts without a stall...and when I did finally stall, it was thanks to an itch.

For comparison, I've driven an Audi S5, Audi A5, BMW E92 M3, Honda S2000, and Honda Civic all in stick and never stalled any of them. I'm not a great MT driver, but I know enough. So for me to have this much trouble with this car's clutch is disheartening.

But I'm determined to be perfect at this, because I'm in love. I'm a huge gearhead, and while I loved my 350Z, the 5AT wasn't cutting it for me, as far as fun factor...and the interior's cheapness really grew thin, the interior on the 370Z is simply awesome. The car is pretty filthy right now. I'm going to clean it up tomorrow and post some pics.

AlphaSnake said:
This is my first stick car and it's a challenge, but I'm really trying to get a hang of this. I've driven a handful of manual transmissions, but nothing quite as annoying as this. I complained about the clutch in the 350Z (thus, mine was automatic), but refinement and smoothness have made the 370Z's clutch lack feel and feedback. It catches high and it's going to require muscle memory to remember where exactly it grabs. I'm not ashamed to say this, but I was practicing starting and stopping in a parking lot, and I stalled the car a little more than 10 times in a span of 45 minutes. Towards those last 15-20 minutes, I got progressively better, to the point where I'd do close to 20 starts without a stall...and when I did finally stall, it was thanks to an itch.

For comparison, I've driven an Audi S5, Audi A5, BMW E92 M3, Honda S2000, and Honda Civic all in stick and never stalled any of them. I'm not a great MT driver, but I know enough. So for me to have this much trouble with this car's clutch is disheartening.

But I'm determined to be perfect at this, because I'm in love. I'm a huge gearhead, and while I loved my 350Z, the 5AT wasn't cutting it for me, as far as fun factor...and the interior's cheapness really grew thin, the interior on the 370Z is simply awesome. The car is pretty filthy right now. I'm going to clean it up tomorrow and post some pics.

okay, I am very excited to see pics! And I just signed the paperwork for my car as well, so I am excited to see yours!

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
On a semi related note to the topic, is an auto loan for (a used vehicle) a good idea to obtain to BUILD credit? I don't have any bills and a rock solid job that would let me pay off the monthly contract bill (24 month contract) with a weeks check for a car I really REALLY want now :lol , I want to build a credit history since I have never bothered to get a credit card because I pay for my shit (I hate borrowing) but this is an interest for me now because I'm thinking of obtaining a home loan later on eventually since I definitely will not have the entirety of the purchase price for a home :lol and obviously you need to secure mortgage with a good rate.

Selected quotes from articles I have been reading.

"Car loans are secured loans, secured by the vehicle. If the borrower defaults, the car is repossessed."
Wouldn't be an issue.

Despite the fact that better loan terms exist, they may not be available – without strong credit. Make sure you have an excellent credit rating. Repair any negative items and build up your good credit for 6 months before you buy a car.

Makes me go eh? Fucking "credit :p

Thanks for any advice guys, the car I want on average sells for $17k used. (BMW E46 M3 03 or 04, I'm in love with this shit and want to make it MINE, visually and physically I plan to add a few touches/parts *no rice! :lol*)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I must be getting old.

When I was 18 I really wanted a classic muscle car. Then I turned 20. But lo and behold, 8 years later, I'm suddenly in the middle of law school, going to exit with no loans at all and a job waiting and I can't stop thinking about that old Mustang I always wanted. :lol

Mid-life crisis?

Angry Grimace said:
I must be getting old.

When I was 18 I really wanted a classic muscle car. Then I turned 20. But lo and behold, 8 years later, I'm suddenly in the middle of law school, going to exit with no loans at all and a job waiting and I can't stop thinking about that old Mustang I always wanted. :lol

Mid-life crisis?

Hardly, within your means and if you are responsible, no reason not to enjoy a piece of your life. A nice car can make the hours you spend in it quite wonderful. And now that i finally signed papers on mine, I am very excited about it! :)

Angry Grimace said:
I must be getting old.

Mid-life crisis?
28 is not mid-life.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
godofcookery said:
Hardly, within your means and if you are responsible, no reason not to enjoy a piece of your life. A nice car can make the hours you spend in it quite wonderful. And now that i finally signed papers on mine, I am very excited about it! :)

Grats man, I can't fucking want to get my hands on mine man :( Fuuuuuck lol

It's long overdue, I want my fucking M3..

Also what did you get yourself?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The only reason I could ever think about it is because my wife inherited enough money to pay off both of our grad schools, with enough to spare to put a down payment on a house. She's also top of her pharmacy school class (avg. starting salary is like 115,000 a yr in a career that is extremely high demand).

But even then, classic cars really don't seem to be a very good investment. The actual value of even perfectly restored muscle cars isn't high at all, they depreciate all the time. I mean, a perfectly restored, numbers matching '68 Camaro costs far less than a modern Camaro.

Slayer-33 said:
Grats man, I can't fucking want to get my hands on mine man :( Fuuuuuck lol

It's long overdue, I want my fucking M3..

Also what did you get yourself?

09 Infiniti G37 Journey. After my ridiculous thread, deciding to admit this is my choice is quite embarrassing, but i couldn't pass up an AMAZING deal. (this car had 99 miles on it, sold as new.)

I started by sitting in a 2011 370z and loving the test drive, but hating the road noise. Through a series of weird coincidences, I found out about some left over '09 G37s yesterday. So i went down today to seriously low ball them, thinking I wouldn't get it, and I wouldn't have to get the Automatic. I test drove, tried it, and loved it. Gave them a ridiculous offer... and they went for it. yay!

AlphaSnake said:
Any photoshoppers can do away with the nasty chrome accents on the front and back? This is the new Chrysler 300C. I think it'll look quite nice without all of that ugly chrome.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/11/chrysler300c.b08.kgp.ed.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/11/chrysler300c.b01.kgp.ed.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Absolutely hideous. The current 300C is ten times better looking than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom