• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
twinturbo2 said:
Pics, please?

wz2cf.jpg

AlphaSnake

I just came back from a 120 mile drive and had a blast. I went to my girlfriend's house, and then to my brother's house. I stalled it once at the very, very beginning (I got nervous when a car pulled up my fucking ass), but I fired it right back up and took off. Didn't stall again after that. What I learned is that revs are very important and that I shouldn't be too worried about feeding into the throttle. 2K RPMs gives the car healthy momentum forward as the RPMs begin to drop, and then I can keep the clutch at the grab, feed some more throttle and let off.

Since I have the synchro rev-match, bucking on shifts is non-existent here (only if you shift too quick at a slow speed). This 120 mile drive really helped me familiarize myself with the car. Both of the neighborhoods I was at have a ton of stop signs so I got some solid practice in. Woo!

Congrats man! As for me, I loved my first drive with the G37! Although i did baby it completely, it was a great compliant ride, and I want to start using the 7AT to see what kind of fun I can have after the initial "break in" period. or so they say...

Congrats on the purchases guys, TEAM NISMO for the win! We must stick together because BMW-GAF is very powerful lol. I recently got a raise so once I pay off a few outstanding things I will finally have extra cash to hook up my ride the way I have wanted to for a while.

AlphaSnake

MWS Natural said:
Congrats on the purchases guys, TEAM NISMO for the win! We must stick together because BMW-GAF is very powerful lol. I recently got a raise so once I pay off a few outstanding things I will finally have extra cash to hook up my ride the way I have wanted to for a while.

Forgive me if I missed/forget it, what Nissan do you drive again?

MWS Natural said:
downloadfile-1.jpeg

even though noone asked, I am too excited about this to not post! :)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
MWS Natural said:
My mom has a 350Z Roadster, so yeah. :D

sadaiyappan

My brother has an Infiniti G35. He let me drive it, it felt alright. I think he should have gone with a Nissan Z though. Does the Z have back seats?

Runus

Very nice Z. I got to drive a 350Z once. It was slightly modded and man that thing was nice. Such a great clutch in it. Hope you have lots of fun with it.

AlphaSnake

godofcookery said:
downloadfile-1.jpeg

even though noone asked, I am too excited about this to not post! :)

Nice, man! Time to get some new wheels and a drop. Set the car off. :)

AlphaSnake said:
Nice, man! Time to get some new wheels and a drop. Set the car off. :)

heh, damn dude! lemee pay something towards the car first! BTW, i am still super jealous of your 370, just that i couldnt handle the road noise. AND that's the bloody color i wanted. :) I will have to get a Twin Turbo kit. maybe a supercharger? hm...

MWS Natural said:

BMW GAF UNITE.

I might be purchasing my 4th BMW. 89 325IX. My second E30.

aznpxdd

Conceited said:
Paul is actually a really good driver, and he owns 2 or 3 Skylines IRL so he's got my respect.

Yep. My boss is actually really good friends with Paul (he comes to our office time to time), and they are both car nuts.

Here's a couple pics of what's in our warehouse :p

2010-06-08220245.jpg

2010-06-08220257.jpg

IMG_20101130_130616.jpg

painey

any opinions on the chevy pt cruiser? I know its ugly as fuck, but i need a reliable car over here for 4 years and it looks mint with just 50k on the clock. I hear its got shit MPG but apart from that have no idea about it.

Zyzyxxz

painey said:
any opinions on the chevy pt cruiser? I know its ugly as fuck, but i need a reliable car over here for 4 years and it looks mint with just 50k on the clock. I hear its got shit MPG but apart from that have no idea about it.

no its a fucking chrysler from the late 90's-early 2000's.

You are looking for a reliable car yes? Look elsewhere.

I'd take a Toyota/Honda with 100K miles over a Chrysler with 50k any day if I needed something to get me to work.

Pein

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:

I'd take a Toyota/Honda with 100K miles over a Chrysler with 50k any day if I needed something to get me to work.
My mom drives a 01 town and country with 130k miles and that thing is bulletproof.

painey

Zyzyxxz said:

the cruiser is 06.. I really don't have much choice in cars, but this is gorgeous inside, $1k reduced and close.. its so tempting.. other cars ive seen have way too high mileage or look like 1970's decor inside with barebone features.

Zyzyxxz

Pein said:
My mom drives a 01 town and country with 130k miles and that thing is bulletproof.

My mother's 03 Town and Country was horrible. We were scared to own it without a warranty after all the expensive repairs that were covered under the factory warranty.

Eventually it got totalled in a non-injuring accident and we got a Sienna. It drives a hell lot better even though its a mini-van.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Zyzyxxz said:
My mother's 03 Town and Country was horrible. We were scared to own it without a warranty after all the expensive repairs that were covered under the factory warranty.

Eventually it got totalled in a non-injuring accident and we got a Sienna. It drives a hell lot better even though its a mini-van.
My parents owned a first-gen LeBaron convertible, a '91 Grand Caravan, a '99 Intrepid and an '02 Grand Cherokee. The first three ran for hundreds of thousands of miles no problem, and the latter one is still used by my dad- 160K miles and still running strong.

I have some nostalgia for Chrysler. If I can't get a Fiat 500, I may get a Dodge Challenger instead. Speaking of the Challenger, job 1 for the '11 models is tomorrow. :D

challenger-392-dyno.jpg

AutomotiveGAF, I need halp. My front controllers in Honda Accord 2001 are wonky. A year ago a mechanic advised me to change them so that I don't lose my tires while driving. I thought he was trying to milk money off me and now I went to a different mechanic who also told me to change them. Total price is about $500 including wheel alignment. I googled the front controllers (upper and lower for both the tires) and four of them come at a cost of about $250-$280.

My question is, is this a serious problem and should I go with the $500 guy despite the fact that online the parts are cheaper? I really don't wanna spend more money on this car. I got it for $2000 (has about 130k miles) and already spent $400 on other problems: Oil container leak and tire change.

AlphaSnake said:

Oy, fellow NYer eh? How do you feel about those new "gold" license plates? I cant stand them, so glad I still have my blue/white one, but it sucks because now I cant get a vanity plate. :(

Very nice car though. :D

STG!

Lionheart1827 said:
Oy, fellow NYer eh? How do you feel about those new "gold" license plates? I cant stand them, so glad I still have my blue/white one, but it sucks because now I cant get a vanity plate. :(

As a NJ driver I was quite surprised when I saw the new NY plates, I hate the yellow/gold color personally as I have had two bright red cars and it just doesn't work. Didn't even bother with a front plate for my latest ride, the less ugly yellow to look at the better. :) You made the right move IMO.

I'm scared to imagine what other nasty color combo my state thinks of next. :(

Alucrid

Banned
Lionheart1827 said:

Very nice car though. :D

They did you a favor then.

ColR100

I just bought an Alfa Romeo 147.

Does this fit into the 'cool car' club?

Considering it originally came out in 2001 the car 'looks wise' out does your average Ford Fiesta/Focus, of which i wanted to avoid because I didn't want to be like everyone else. :lol

It's replacing a Renault Clio, so it wasn't very difficult for it to be amazing in my eyes.

Rumor has it the Honda CR-Z will come out with non hybrid versions of the car. 1.6L Turbo Engine with around 160 hp, and another version with 200hp.

If that rumor comes true, I'll be picking up a cr-z :)

The Bookerman said:
Rumor has it the Honda CR-Z will come out with non hybrid versions of the car. 1.6L Turbo Engine with around 160 hp, and another version with 200hp.

I was looking at the CR-Z at the LA Auto Show and it really looks nice. I'd love to have one as a daily driver.

AcridMeat

Banned
ColR100 said:
I just bought an Alfa Romeo 147.

Does this fit into the 'cool car' club?

Considering it originally came out in 2001 the car 'looks wise' out does your average Ford Fiesta/Focus, of which i wanted to avoid because I didn't want to be like everyone else. :lol

It's replacing a Renault Clio, so it wasn't very difficult for it to be amazing in my eyes.

Yes it's cool. Too bad it doesn't have the power to match it's looks. Even so, it's a very pretty car.

Alucrid

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
How about dark blue and white stang with yellow accents.

Tallgeese II color scheme

Not the biggest fan of Mustangs, therefore you would need to mount a dober gun on that thing.

ColR100

AcridMeat said:
Yes it's cool. Too bad it doesn't have the power to match it's looks. Even so, it's a very pretty car.
Cheers Acrid.

Managed to get one with a full service history and only 35k miles on the clock. I look forward to picking it up next week.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The Bookerman said:

Consumer Reports scored it too low to recommend it. Take that as you will.

Zyzyxxz

Jamesfrom818 said:
I was looking at the CR-Z at the LA Auto Show and it really looks nice. I'd love to have one as a daily driver.

My issue with the CR-Z is that it seems like a car nobody really wants.

So you want a sporty coupe that gets good mileage?

Why not get a Fiat 500 or even a 4-door Ford Fiesta both which will both get better mileage and cost less too without being a Hybrid. Sure they may not be as fast but they are probably fun to drive still. Both have a backseat, the Fiats is cramped but at least it has one while the Fiesta has real usable rear seating.

The CR-Z is limited to be 2 seater only, it costs more, and most of all I know this will be subjective but it looks the worst out of the three cars I am comparing.

I find it a hard sale.

black_13

Banned
I've been looking at jumping to the BMW bandwagon with the E46 M3 but keep getting warned about expensive repairs/reliability. How bad are they? Would go for the older ones around 2002 to not go over my budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom