• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
What do you guys think about a new Audi TT RS? Compact, all wheel-drive and lots of power. Is it worth it?

If the outdated and rather spartan looking/feeling interior doesn't bother you...yes. Otherwise, the car will be getting a significant change in the near future all throughout, so it could be worth waiting. Unless you absolutely love the current 2nd gen car.

Chibits12

Banned
Might as well wait for the new model. I remember the first Audi TTs were always called a "hairdresser's" car because of its styling.

Culex

Banned
How's the AWD in the new charger? My next car will probably be american since Saab is gone as we know it. Is it a Torsen-type AWD?

aznpxdd

Does anyone know where to look up lug bolt sizes for BMW's?

Picking up spacers for my X1 and I need to pick up some extended lug bolts. There's so little info on the X1 on the web, I can't even confirm if its 14x1.25 (like the newer BMW's) or 12x1.5. Damnit.

J-Rzez

I expect to get a job out of school in January with my current co-op company, and I'm thinking the FR-S might be a good fit. Also considering the Focus ST.

Really hope I get the salary I want, but it all depends on if I get the job and where I am located.

That's what I'm waiting on too, the ST. I drove the Abarth again and I bumped it ahead of the BRZ. That is a "fun" car, while the BRZ disappointed on nearly every level outside of looks and "potential in the suspension". It's Ford's game to lose my money at this point.

If the BRZ/86 was the originally intended weight and price, then it may have got the nod.

Seanbob11

Hey Car-GAF. I've just bought a new MINI and was wanting to change the colour of the toggles switches, these things :

yPG9R.jpg

Does anyone know where I could buy them, thanks!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If he is, I don't get the comparison.

Well you should compare the specs and prices to start with. Don't get me wrong, the car itself is fine. I get it. IT'S A DRIVER'S CAR YOU JUST DON'T GET IT MAN.

Thing is, it's a slow driver's car, now being picked up like a fad, and the already inflated price is now being inflated further by fad-like demand and scumbag dealers laughing all the way to the bank. Lots of cars were driver's cars before this and lots will be in the future. And they will be cheaper, with less hype and less disappointment.

It also introduces a couple of mild sicknesses that I find irritating.

Scion's no hassle pricing is now HASSLE pricing.
Subaru's amazing AWD heritage is now irrelevant.
Toyota's um...well I got nothing on Toyota.

The BRZ reminds me of Krispy Kreme Donuts and Chik Fil A. Basically people were becoming excited because it was now cool to eat donuts and fried chicken, things that had always been delicious, regardless of who was marketing the shit out of them.

Get a Miata, drive it like you stole an Integra. BRZ experience achieved.

I'd also be interested to see how this thing is being received in Europe, where they have always had loads of good handling cheap driver's cars.

But maybe you think the BRZ is fast.
Maybe you think the BRZ is great value.
Maybe you think the BRZ looks unique or compelling.
Maybe you think other donuts and fried chicken tastle like poop.

Imagine going through all that shit to get one of these things, and then getting your ass handed to you by a stock Mini Cooper every time you drive up a hill.

Enron

Banned
I too wish the BRZ/86 had more power, but honestly some of the things being said about it is getting a tad ridiculous

Stinkles

I too wish the BRZ/86 had more power, but honestly some of the things being said about it is getting a tad ridiculous

There's nothing wrong with the car that a significant price reduction wouldn't solve. I don't even care if they add HP to it, in fact one of the cool things about it is that it's so underpowered that we're going to see some impressive tuning and upgrades - and in that regard, it's definitely interesting. I am not bagging on the car itself, simply the cloud of hype and faddery it's surrounded by.

The irony, as far as the Subey version is concerned, is that this thing would have, or rather could have been a really fascinating AWD take on a classic Z car.

If this thing was cheap, as originally intended it would hit the sweet spot the designers intended, but the RRP bloated and the hype swelled and now it makes about zero fiscal sense.

There ya go, I think that's what you meant to say.

No, I typed precisely what I meant to say. Thanks for your fascinating rebuttal though.

There's nothing wrong with the car that a significant price reduction wouldn't solve. I don't even care if they add HP to it, in fact one of the cool things about it is that it's so underpowered that we're going to see some impressive tuning and upgrades - and in that regard, it's definitely interesting. I am not bagging on the car itself, simply the cloud of hype and faddery it's surrounded by.

The irony, as far as the Subey version is concerned, is that this thing would have, or rather could have been a really fascinating AWD take on a classic Z car.

If this thing was cheap, as originally intended it would hit the sweet spot the designers intended, but the RRP bloated and the hype swelled and now it makes about zero fiscal sense.

No, I typed precisely what I meant to say. Thanks for your fascinating rebuttal though.

Your hatred for the FR-S is really curious. I'm fairly neutral on it in just about every way. I certainly think it's a step in the right direction for the Japanese. Why do you think it's so overpriced and overrated? Especially since you mentioned the Miata.

The Miata starts at $23,500~ with 167bHP and 140lb-ft @5000 RPM.
The FR-S starts at $25,000~ with 200bHP and 151lb-ft @6600 RPM.

So where's the issue? They seem about even. The Miata is a bit lighter, but the FR-S has a bit more power and the price comes down to $1500~.

I've seen 0-60 for the FR-S reported in the low 6s and the Miata in roughly the same range (maybe mid 6s). I mean I love the Miata for what it is, and I haven't gotten the opportunity to drive an FR-S but reviewers seem to be in general agreement that Toyota/Subaru did good.

I agree that it isn't the next 911 or anything silly like that, but is all-out rage towards the thing warranted?

I've been really obsessing on the Tesla Model S-- and I'm back and forth whether to place a reserve for one. Ive seen pictures of the dashboard-- and its the sleekest and techno savy dashboard I've ever seen-- and surprisingly its smallest battery model is only a few thousand more than the Infiniti M- which has been a disappointment. Anyone here have a chance to drive it (probably california gaffers) and thoughts?

teslamodelsdrivelead01.jpg

And in terms of range-- I commute less than 10 miles back and forth to work and there is an electric car charging parking spot, which has been unoccupied.

Stinkles

Your hatred for the FR-S is really curious. I'm fairly neutral on it in just about every way. I certainly think it's a step in the right direction for the Japanese. Why do you think it's so overpriced and overrated? Especially since you mentioned the Miata.

So where's the issue? They seem about even. The Miata is a bit lighter, but the FR-S has a bit more power and the price comes down to $1500~.

I've seen 0-60 for the FR-S reported in the low 6s and the Miata in roughly the same range (maybe mid 6s). I mean I love the Miata for what it is, and I haven't gotten the opportunity to drive an FR-S but reviewers seem to be in general agreement that Toyota/Subaru did good.

I agree that it isn't the next 911 or anything silly like that, but is all-out rage towards the thing warranted?

Miata is a convertible. And again, I tried to make it clear that I don't have a problem with the car - I would probably enjoy driving one. That's why I used the Krispy Kreme comparison. They're delicious, I love them. It's just that ultimately what they are is pretty simple and overhyped.

Also I am not really raging, I am simply exaggerating because it's a forum where we get to be passionate about things we're passionate and passionately subjective about.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

Con

Ver

Ti

Ble

Miata is a convertible. And again, I tried to make it clear that I don't have a problem with the car - I would probably enjoy driving one. That's why I used the Krispy Kreme comparison. They're delicious, I love them. It's just that ultimately what they are is pretty simple and overhyped.

Also I am not really raging, I am simply exaggerating because it's a forum where we get to be passionate about things we're passionate and passionately subjective about.

There is a lot of hype over the frissbrizz but it's because there really aren't any vehicles that are comparable outside of "This vehicle also costs $25,000". Going with your Krispy Kreme analogy it's like if everyone stopped making donuts and started making bagels until Krispy Kreme decided to start making donuts again.

Is it overhyped? Maybe, but apparently it's living up to it so far.

AlphaSnake

Comparing the pricing of the BRZ and Miata is a little wrong, since you can find a 3rd gen Miata for $15-18K in pristine, like new, low mileage condition.

J-Rzez

If this were a spiritual successor to the GT-Four/All-Trac, I would have bought it day one, even if in the mid-30's to 40k. It's a killer looking car. 280hp Turbo and AWD, I would be driving it right now.

This.

Oh and Subaru's AWD legacy a non-issue.

And everyone in the press who drives an FRS/BRZ has been impressed. It's only on forums where the car has raped and killed some poster's mother.

AlphaSnake

True but it's never fair to compare new vs. used because used always comes out on top. I mean what would you rather have, a new BRZ or a used Porsche Cayman?

A BRZ.

I hate Porsches, for the most part. And I'd never own a used one.

A used 1 or 2 year old Miata is practically new, since considering it's age demographic and reliability.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
OK GAF.

Due to a taxi incident, I have to get a new car for my business.

I was looking at this.

Ex-Government Suburban

What say you?

Granted, I need to talk to my business partner, but we'll probably go get it real soon.

ascii42

OK GAF.

Due to a taxi incident, I have to get a new car for my business.

I was looking at this.

Ex-Government Suburban

What say you?

Granted, I need to talk to my business partner, but we'll probably go get it real soon.

76k miles isn't too bad. I was expecting more. It'll have been well maintained as well. Should be a good solid reliable vehicle. Are those vinyl seats in the back?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
76k miles isn't too bad. I was expecting more. It'll have been well maintained as well. Should be a good solid reliable vehicle. Are those vinyl seats in the back?

Cloth up front, leather in the back.

AlphaSnake

Just came back from an Audi RS5 test drive.

Sweet Googly Moogly. Absolutely visceral sound. The car idles really quietly, but put in drive and give it some throttle and it just bellows like a baritone until you've let off and come to a complete stop. The interior is largely identical to the standard S5, fit and finish is unparalleled Audi.

Despite its lack of torque on paper, that power comes in really, really early in the range allowing the S5 to pull like a freight train without ever feeling wheezy or laggy. The top end is absolutely sensational, as well - pulling to damn near 8300 RPM without the slightest bit of break in power. Naturally aspirated, muscle car, honest to goodness to refinement, toned to deliver a sledgehammer hit. Nevermind that this car may be a tick slower around a track than the M3, because it triumphs in nearly every other category - from looks, to the interior, to the sensational noise it makes, to the feel of the steering wheel, the adjustable comfort and firmness of the suspension, not to mention that dual clutch transmission, the Bang and Olufsen system, that beautiful rear-deck spoiler rising above 55MPH, etc. etc.

I was properly astounded and thoroughly impressed. I've driven numerous E92 M3s over the past few years, I hang out with a lot of people that own them too...but no matter how much I loved the M3, I was always put off my a number of traits. Those are the voids that the RS5 fills. And quite honestly, I'm shocked that magazine journalists and critics have continued to praise the M3 over the RS5.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This.

Oh and Subaru's AWD legacy a non-issue.

And everyone in the press who drives an FRS/BRZ has been impressed. It's only on forums where the car has raped and killed some poster's mother.

The press is impressed by every car they get their hands on, because they only get access to those cars on the implicit promise that they gush over it. They aren't going to report that the car is slow and expensive unless they hate Subaru/Toyota advertising dollars.

N-Bomb

Thing is, it's a slow driver's car, now being picked up like a fad, and the already inflated price is now being inflated further by fad-like demand and scumbag dealers laughing all the way to the bank. Lots of cars were driver's cars before this and lots will be in the future. And they will be cheaper, with less hype and less disappointment.

So you're blaming things that have nothing to do with the car, on the car? There were lots of driver's cars before, sure. You're talking about 100 years of history in that statement. It's certainly not broad at all. The issue was 'are there driver's cars NOW'? And the answer is yes, but A) you can never have enough B) not really of this type.

It also introduces a couple of mild sicknesses that I find irritating.

Scion's no hassle pricing is now HASSLE pricing.
Subaru's amazing AWD heritage is now irrelevant.
Toyota's um...well I got nothing on Toyota.

-Scion dealers I've talked to have not instituted any markups over MSRP.
-How is it irrelevant? It was nothing than a marketing bullet point. My Impreza originally came in FWD with AWD as an option. (in the '93 to '96 MYs, I believe). I should note that there is a subculture of Impreza owners that disable the FW part of the AWD to make it a RWD car.
-Toyota has a non-boring car in the lineup now. Yeah.

The BRZ reminds me of Krispy Kreme Donuts and Chik Fil A. Basically people were becoming excited because it was now cool to eat donuts and fried chicken, things that had always been delicious, regardless of who was marketing the shit out of them.

Someone else put it well with 'everyone stopped making krispy kremes, and now these guys are making them again'

But maybe you think the BRZ is fast.
Maybe you think the BRZ is great value.
Maybe you think the BRZ looks unique or compelling.
Maybe you think other donuts and fried chicken tastle like poop.

Define 'fast', 'slow', and 'value'.

Imagine going through all that shit to get one of these things, and then getting your ass handed to you by a stock Mini Cooper every time you drive up a hill.

Imagine enjoying the car for what it is, and the fun it can give you. Weren't you just arguing above about how bad the hype is? Perhaps you can cut through your expectations to what others expected - and got.

The price of a car doesn't make it better or worse, it just affects your purchase decision. Hype already addressed.

Subaru doesn't need another crazy AWD car, especially not one in the same range as the Z. The STi is already enough competition in that respect. Anyone who has driven an AWD car will tell you that they drive FAR differently than RWD cars, and you can't really have a fun drift-king car with an AWD monster at an affordable price.

If the pricing is bad enough, they'll have to rethink things. And really, you're buying a car like this with 'fiscal sense'? A car like this is far more of an emotional decision than a financial one. This is not everyone else's Corolla.

The press is impressed by every car they get their hands on, because they only get access to those cars on the implicit promise that they gush over it. They aren't going to report that the car is slow and expensive unless they hate Subaru/Toyota advertising dollars.

Hoping they test it on Top Gear. The thing is... what would they test it against?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member

Sweet Googly Moogly. Absolutely visceral sound. The car idles really quietly, but put in drive and give it some throttle and it just bellows like a baritone until you've let off and come to a complete stop. The interior is largely identical to the standard S5, fit and finish is unparalleled Audi.

Despite its lack of torque on paper, that power comes in really, really early in the range allowing the S5 to pull like a freight train without ever feeling wheezy or laggy. The top end is absolutely sensational, as well - pulling to damn near 8300 RPM without the slightest bit of break in power. Naturally aspirated, muscle car, honest to goodness to refinement, toned to deliver a sledgehammer hit. Nevermind that this car may be a tick slower around a track than the M3, because it triumphs in nearly every other category - from looks, to the interior, to the sensational noise it makes, to the feel of the steering wheel, the adjustable comfort and firmness of the suspension, not to mention that dual clutch transmission, the Bang and Olufsen system, that beautiful rear-deck spoiler rising above 55MPH, etc. etc.

I was properly astounded and thoroughly impressed. I've driven numerous E92 M3s over the past few years, I hang out with a lot of people that own them too...but no matter how much I loved the M3, I was always put off my a number of traits. Those are the voids that the RS5 fills. And quite honestly, I'm shocked that magazine journalists and critics have continued to praise the M3 over the RS5.

It does look hot as hell, though I've never seen one driving around here despite us having a decent Audi dealer. See lots of A-models. I'll definitely give one a test drive whenever I get around to upgrading. I've gone from having to have the new GT500 Shelby to really taking a hard look at the $80k range to see what I like. So far the M3 was at the top of that list.

How does Audi differ with respect to BMW in terms of support, build quality, etc? I confess to not know much about Audi...

A BRZ.

I hate Porsches, for the most part. And I'd never own a used one.

A used 1 or 2 year old Miata is practically new, since considering it's age demographic and reliability.

Why no love for Porsches? And finding a good used one is half the fun.

My point is that comparing used to new is never really worth pursuing as the used one will always come out ahead. Wait a year or two and you can start comparing used frissbrizzes to anything you like and they'll be the best around for smiles per dollar.

I've been really obsessing on the Tesla Model S-- and I'm back and forth whether to place a reserve for one. Ive seen pictures of the dashboard-- and its the sleekest and techno savy dashboard I've ever seen-- and surprisingly its smallest battery model is only a few thousand more than the Infiniti M- which has been a disappointment. Anyone here have a chance to drive it (probably california gaffers) and thoughts?

teslamodelsdrivelead01.jpg

And in terms of range-- I commute less than 10 miles back and forth to work and there is an electric car charging parking spot, which has been unoccupied.

Beautiful car.

AlphaSnake

I'll get to answering the questions and all later tonight, I'm having an event filled day today. :)

Off to meet the Premier League's Tottenham Spurs right now for a FIFA 13 event. :D

Stinkles

Sorry for derailing the thread, I realize there is plenty of repetitive trolling going on about the BRZ etc. And I have no excuse since I have nothing against the actual car. I will just lay off the thing and you can mock me for thinking the Audi A7 is the best looking Audi in the range.

One of our guys at work just picked one up today so I also have to be careful not to insult him.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Sorry for derailing the thread, I realize there is plenty of repetitive trolling going on about the BRZ etc. And I have no excuse since I have nothing against the actual car. I will just lay off the thing and you can mock me for thinking the Audi A7 is the best looking Audi in the range.

One of our guys at work just picked one up today so I also have to be careful not to insult him.

Why would anyone mock you for that? The A7 is orgasmic.

Halvie

Banned

I am shocked you seem to like these Audis so much :D

Stinkles

Why would anyone mock you for that? The A7 is orgasmic.

But it's an A6, effectively, and is $10k more expensive. I think it's EASILY worth $10k for that much more gorgeousness, but after my BRZ price rant, it's naked hypocrisy.

My real life plan is to get a black or dark gray A7, mild tint, black wheels and black brightwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom