• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
But it's an A6, effectively, and is $10k more expensive. I think it's EASILY worth $10k for that much more gorgeousness, but after my BRZ price rant, it's naked hypocrisy.

My real life plan is to get a black or dark gray A7, mild tint, black wheels and black brightwork.

Yeah but from a design perspective it looks quite different and unique.

ascii42

But it's an A6, effectively, and is $10k more expensive. I think it's EASILY worth $10k for that much more gorgeousness, but after my BRZ price rant, it's naked hypocrisy.

My real life plan is to get a black or dark gray A7, mild tint, black wheels and black brightwork.

Right, I feel the same way about the BMW 6-series Gran Coupe. It's actually slightly more expensive than even the 7-series, but...dat profile:
BMW-6-Serie-Gran-Coupe-2013-left-side.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I am shocked you seem to like these Audis so much :D

After all of the shit I read about the car, I expected it to be boring. It wasn't. Not even the slightest bit.

In all honesty, this isn't meant to compete against the M3 - nevermind what the critics say. This essentially an entry level Aston Martin package here, with AWD, more power, a better warranty, more practicality, and a better transmission than a Vantage.

And the Aston is my favorite/dream car.

J-Rzez

And everyone in the press who drives an FRS/BRZ has been impressed. It's only on forums where the car has raped and killed some poster's mother.

Considering that most people, including myself, will state that the car definitely delivers on the handling in spades, but that the motor is utterly disappointing in every facet imaginable while "most" journalists gloss over this while equally glowing over the suspension is pretty telling.

Now, if the press is in a scheme to be like a father telling their son who came in 3rd "good job sport, you'll get them next time, keep at it!", then I'm cool with that. Maybe they'll step up to the plate with a real MKV Supra, or a Turbo/SC 86 for us with higher expectations from a car. But otherwise, after driving this car first hand and for the press to just pass over the serious deficit the motor puts on the car's fun factor is pretty damning of the "press", and they've become nothing more than a marketing extension like videogame review journalists.

Many people stated they've felt the same way, and that's the reason why that Toyota head was upset that people were not enthusiastic about the motor and were going to pass up on the car because of it, and you know that Toyota is working on an amped up model, and Subaru has been said to be working on one as well, before the cars even released. They know they're underpowered considering the weight of them came in a couple hundred pounds higher than original target weights. They know people want more. You'll see more powah, and when it's here, you'll see "then" it's cool with the "purists" of the car, well, those who can afford it.

AlphaSnake

Id put money on the press forgetting about the NA car once the FI ones hit. The complaints about it being slow and underpowered will be plenty in every review of the FI cars. Just watch. The press' tune will change about this car in this spec quickly.

Here's a counterpoint to the FR-S that I experienced when I took one for a test drive: it's a great car but it lacks soul.

The car itself is amazing, by God when I put the traction control to sport mode and started feeling the rear slip, my hair was standing up and I had a grin on my face. But that's about it.

The engine didn't sound bad, but that boxer oomph coming from the WRX/STi was clearly missing. The shifter was nice but the gearing was kinda iffy... 2nd gear ends exactly at about 60mph, y'all decide if you love/hate that, I'm placing myself in the hate camp. Interior is in between a Toyota and Lexus, so it's nice but not Lexus level kind of nice... funny thing is though, the dials for the AC are clearly lifted from the same parts bin as the current gen Corolla LOL.

Now lemme talk about what I mean that it lacks soul... you know how when you first place your butt in the drivers seat, turn on the engine and start realizing that this might just be the perfect car for you? See, the FR-S lacks that. There's nothing in the car that tells me I'm about to have the drive of my life, I had to take a corner, at the behest of the salesman, at about 30mph with traction control in sport, and feel that the tires are slipping to realize that I'm actually having fun but as soon as I straightened it out and started driving straight, I went back to the "it's okay" feeling I had before.

As soon as that ended I went to my Miata and took the same route as my test drive, and well... I had more fun in my Miata than the FR-S. In those corners where the FR-S slipped, I took my Miata at the same speed, without traction control as my car doesn't have it, and it was unpredictable. There were certain corners where I actually would lose grip but with a slight correction, I was exiting off the corner at 3rd gear and not have to worry about shifting since I was already on the necessary gear. With the FR-S, I had to take corners at 2nd gear just to have enough torque for me to peel out of that corner but then I immediately have to shift since I'm nearing 60mph.

Regardless, I don't really have any major issues with the car, other than the fact that it lacks soul. The thing is, I didn't even know how to drive stick before I got my Miata and I had a friend test drive and take it home, but the first time I sat in that passenger seat as he was turning it on and getting comfortable, I already knew that this is gonna be the perfect car for me, and when he started driving and taking all those corners at high speeds, I fell madly in love. There was no way I was gonna walk out of that dealership without the keys to the Miata.

That's the thing the FR-S is missing IMO. It feels ho hum until you take it into corners and actively start putting yourself and everyone around you in danger.

If the FR-S is your first RWD car, or you're first car purchase, then you're obviously gonna enjoy it a lot. But if you already have a sports car in your garage, you're gonna like it, but I'm not exactly sure if you're willing to let go of the other one for this.

Halvie

Banned
The engine didn't sound bad, but that boxer oomph coming from the WRX/STi was clearly missing. The shifter was nice but the gearing was kinda iffy... 2nd gear ends exactly at about 60mph, y'all decide if you love/hate that, I'm placing myself in the hate camp.

Just wondering but what would you prefer? I fucking hate the gearing in my car (not hitting 60 in 2nd).

Just wondering but what would you prefer? I fucking hate the gearing in my car (not hitting 60 in 2nd).

I'd rather they drop it to top out at 55mph and start redlining before 50. I don't know much about specifics as my experience in handling gear ratios is limited to Gran Turismo, but I figure three things will happen. The car will get a faster 0-60 time, it'll be a lot nicer for daily driving but at the same time kill fuel economy. Lord knows how close ratio gearboxes are terrible for fuel economy. But I think that's missing the point though, I mean why buy a sports car if you're after fuel economy?

CMIIW though, as I said I don't really know a lot about gear ratios... just the basics that GT5 teaches you lol.

Halvie

Banned
I'd rather they drop it to top out at 55mph and start redlining before 50. I don't know much about specifics as my experience in handling gear ratios is limited to Gran Turismo, but I figure three things will happen. The car will get a faster 0-60 time, it'll be a lot nicer for daily driving but at the same time kill fuel economy. Lord knows how close ratio gearboxes are terrible for fuel economy. But I think that's missing the point though, I mean why buy a sports car if you're after fuel economy?

CMIIW though, as I said I don't really know a lot about gear ratios... just the basics that GT5 teaches you lol.

Don't really know all that much either, but it is annoying having to go through 5 gears for a 1/4 run

Ash_69

Major issues from 2003-2006 are transmission. 3rd and 5th gear synchros killing themselves at no fault of the driver - this was a notorious issue that prompted nine (9!) different revisions for the Z's terrible 6-speed transmission - it was the prime reason my 350Z was an automatic, unfortunately (I really, really wanted a Z as you see). 2003 and 2004 models suffer from suspension geometry issues that can sometimes be hard to correct with just an alignment, and if not fixed properly by Nissan early on into the car's life, will cause enormous tire wear continuously. 05s and 06s with the "rev-up" motor (standard VQ35DE that revs to 7000RPM, 6-speed only) have notorious oil burning problems.

My suggestion? Find yourself that 2007 or 2008 with the slightly higher mileage. I beat the absolute piss out of my 2006 for 50K miles, and it never once gave me an issue. For the most part, Zs are extremely reliable - but without question the most reliable are definitely the later model cars. Avoid the 2003s-2005s because they are outdated, they have poor headlight visibility (the xenon projector is puny and not a real projector), the headlight is a little uglier on the inside, the taillights aren't LEDs and look very bland, the interior lacks certain improvements made for the 2006+ cars where the quality of plastics went up, and the amount of plastics used diminished. The standard brake rotors were made larger on 2006+ cars, and calipers were improved as well.

In UK you guys have the GT as the top of the line option, which offers the 18-inch lightweight Rays wheels.

Here's some I found, could be far from you, but I'm fairly certain they have navi despite the tiny pics.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/...mission/manual/onesearchad/used,nearlynew,new
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../page/1/radius/200/postcode/se254aa?logcode=p
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...red-listing/dealer/11913/usedcars?logcode=flp
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../page/1/radius/200/postcode/se254aa?logcode=p

Seems like the car is offered only Base and in GT over in England and most have Navi - which is opposite of American offerings. Get the GT, for sure.

Edit: You may know this, but seems like the model years in the UK are a little odd - but any 350Z with a hump on the bonnet means it is the VQ37 motor (to be 100% sure, check that the tach displays a redline of 7500RPM). If there is no hump on the bonnet, it is a VQ35DE. Seems like some 2007s in the UK still have the older motor - you'll notice that in the above links.

After test driving two 350z's one 2004 and one 2005, both made a grinding noise when changing gear. WTF?? You were right about the transmission, seems to be a wide spread issue. So big an issue, that is has put me off the 350z. A bit of a shame as the sound and power were quite something. If I could find a 2007 at a decent enough price, I would dive head first but I doubt that's possible with what I'm willing to spend. Might have to get a BMW Z4. :(

Gunsmithx

I can't imagine trying to hit 60 mph in 2nd gear. I don't even know if my Turbo X would do that and it's 320 hp.

My WRX will hit 60 in 2nd, it's why it's been clocked faster to 60 then the STI, the STI has to hit 3rd gear to do so. It's not a hp issue it's a gearing issue.

AlphaSnake

My 370Z hits 60 in 2nd - then again it gets away with it because it redlines at 7600RPM.

Ash_69: I replied to your PM.

AlphaSnake

My friend is a bit of a Lexus fanboy and I've been telling him to shut the hell up about the new Lexus LS. He was so excited, thinking Lexus would step up against the Audi A8 and the new 4.0T, the S550, and the 750i. Man, when that reveal came yesterday and there was nothing but a front-end cosmetic change and a new (granted, it is gorgeous) interior...the texts I got from him were SALTY.

Bitter, bitter tears. I've been telling him the entire month "Lexus is garbage. They won't add power. It'll be a 460. It's going to be the same car, just watch"

Zyzyxxz

Man saw a Mclaren mp4-12c the other day in the most unexpected place of my home area since most rich Asians tend to go with Lambo or Ferrari in my area. Man that thing is a beauty.

AlphaSnake

Man saw a Mclaren mp4-12c the other day in the most unexpected place of my home area since most rich Asians tend to go with Lambo or Ferrari in my area. Man that thing is a beauty.

Saw a white one last week myself. It was quite stunning.

Circle T

Wow, that looks bloody amazing!

Fully. Obviously the lighting arrays are not final, given the hodgepodge in the front, and standard 911 lights in the rear, but overall though, the shape of the car is excellent. Can't wait to see the final, production ready version.

Circle T

I see F430 R8...

Yea, I can see that a little. The big intakes right under the headlights, and intake/wings behind the doors, do have a similar feel to those cars. Not a bad looking couple cars to borrow some design inspiration from. The whole 918 package, to me, is pretty awesome looking, though.

N-Bomb

Yea, I can see that a little. The big intakes right under the headlights, and intake/wings behind the doors, do have a similar feel to those cars. Not a bad looking couple cars to borrow some design inspiration from. The whole 918 package, to me, is pretty awesome looking, though.

Yeah, I can't say it's unattractive, but it's like I said near 40 pages ago about all supercars increasingly looking and performing somewhat similar. I can't work up much excitement for it because of that.

unf. That is HOT.

Bangle legacy erased forever.
The bangle butt might be gone, but I feel like the Chris Bangle influence is still there.

E46 was the last awesome 3-series. I loved the classic blocky bmw look that also had a sleek look as well. The new bmw are a lot wider, flatter and greater amounts of sweeping lines.

AlphaSnake

Clarkson, May and Hammond have the greatest job in the world.

The magazine has like 20 different writers, many of which are/were Fifth Gear presenters. May and Hammond don't contribute as often. They weren't part of this test, either.

Enron

Banned
76k miles isn't too bad. I was expecting more. It'll have been well maintained as well. Should be a good solid reliable vehicle. Are those vinyl seats in the back?

Never buy an ex-government vehicle. Those things are treated like shit.

Source: Was a sometimes-driver of a DoT vehicle.

N-Bomb

Like I posted on twitter - resist the urge to use your intercooler as a tool shelf while working on your car. It's really convenient.

(unrelated) Man, it takes SO long to straighten out intercooler fins with tweezers. Can't imagine doing this for the radiator, too! You can see where I've already fixed a ton near the center.

05e8d3a4da8611e19b5b1231381b21c5_7.jpg

I think closer ratios would be less nice for daily (read town) driving unless the engine produces enough torque low down. You'll be constantly shifting with low ratios to get reasonable torque, or you could just punt the gas...

FE would be fine if the last gear or two were much longer as they'd be used for cruising. Sports cars do have to cruise some time! As for close ratios, it's better for FE, just look at the current 8 speed autoboxes. Obviously they have more gears and can support high speed cruising, but the same principal applies at lower speeds with fewer gears.

(unrelated) Man, it takes SO long to straighten out intercooler fins with tweezers. Can't imagine doing this for the radiator, too! You can see where I've already fixed a ton near the center.
]

Yeah, it's a real treat. Last time I did that, I got fed up and bought a new core (it was long in the tooth anyways).

Like I posted on twitter - resist the urge to use your intercooler as a tool shelf while working on your car. It's really convenient.

I bent a whole mess of pins on a brand new CPU once. After I got done cursing I had to spend about two hours straightening them out with a screwdriver and the blade of a knife before the chip fit properly. I feel your pain.

I think closer ratios would be less nice for daily (read town) driving unless the engine produces enough torque low down. You'll be constantly shifting with low ratios to get reasonable torque, or you could just punt the gas...

FE would be fine if the last gear or two were much longer as they'd be used for cruising. Sports cars do have to cruise some time! As for close ratios, it's better for FE, just look at the current 8 speed autoboxes. Obviously they have more gears and can support high speed cruising, but the same principal applies at lower speeds with fewer gears.

Close ratios are terrible for daily driving. You have to shift a lot more to keep the car under an RPM that's comfortable for slow-speed driving. If you're going back and forth between 20mph and 40mph that can mean one shift or two shifts, catch my drift?

Besides, it's not like you need monumental torque to move a car around at non-highway speeds.

Case in point, I have a Volvo S40 T5 with a 6-speed transmission that has significantly closer ratios than the ones in my old Porsche 996. The 996 was a much better car around town because it was more comfortable driving at 3000 RPM or above and third gear had just enough grunt at 10-15mph to keep me rolling around just fine. Ultimately I would drive from 15-45mph in just second and third (or just third if I was feeling less sporty). In the Volvo I'm going from 2nd to 5th in that same 15-45mph span because the ratios are so much closer and the engine is less comfortable above 2500 RPM unless you're giving it a bit of gas.

Close ratios are terrible for daily driving. You have to shift a lot more to keep the car under an RPM that's comfortable for slow-speed driving. If you're going back and forth between 20mph and 40mph that can mean one shift or two shifts, catch my drift?

Besides, it's not like you need monumental torque to move a car around at non-highway speeds.

Case in point, I have a Volvo S40 T5 with a 6-speed transmission that has significantly closer ratios than the ones in my old Porsche 996. The 996 was a much better car around town because it was more comfortable driving at 3000 RPM or above and third gear had just enough grunt at 10-15mph to keep me rolling around just fine. Ultimately I would drive from 15-45mph in just second and third (or just third if I was feeling less sporty). In the Volvo I'm going from 2nd to 5th in that same 15-45mph span because the ratios are so much closer and the engine is less comfortable above 2500 RPM unless you're giving it a bit of gas.

I'm confused, are you disagreeing with me? Because that's what I just said!

I'm confused, are you disagreeing with me? Because that's what I just said!

No, clearly you wrote what you didn't mean to say and I responded to your intents...or something.

Okay so maybe I misread what you said; you said "I think closer ratios would be less nice for daily" and I read "I think closer ratios would be nice for daily".

Edit: Good, nothing like the first post of the page to highlight my shame. Let's just take my previous statement and make it an firm assertion of your statement.

AlphaSnake

Guys, we need a funny or clever tag line for our auto site. Hoping for a tentative launch of Sept 1st. Here's one off the top of my head:

Wide Open Throttle: Car Talk Without Filters

Or something that plays on the theme of 'wide open', such as my big mouth that enjoys taking shit about elements of the automotive industry, and such...but without sounding...err...sexual? Hahaha.

Idk...something clever. Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom