• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascii42

GAF, what's the general consensus on the Chevy Impala 2014, the new revision? And while we're at it what's the consensus on american compacts/sedans? I currently drive a 2004 Corolla, but I'm thinking about making a switch to something bigger, and the eco model of the 2014 impala looks great (mpg is a big factor for me due to my commute). When I got the corolla I was still in high school, and the train of thought was if you want reliability/efficiency, always buy Japanese as American cars break down like crazy. Just want to know if this have changed, I'm not much of a car aficionado.

Well, we won't really know until it's out. However, it's on the same platform as the Buick Lacrosse, which I've driven. I thought it was a nice, comfortable, smooth car. You might try driving the Lacrosse E-Assist, which has the same powertrain as the Impala Eco, I believe. Obviously there will be plenty of differences between the cars, presumably the Impala won't be as nice, but it should give you a general idea of what the Impala will be like.

Efficiency varies, for some things the Japanese are on top, for others, the Americans are. As for reliability, it's tough to tell, but it seems like Americans are improving. Certainly overall quality is improving. With any car, though, I would be reluctant to buy a first year model.

Well, we won't really know until it's out. However, it's on the same platform as the Buick Lacrosse, which I've driven. I thought it was a nice, comfortable, smooth car. You might try driving the Lacrosse E-Assist, which has the same powertrain as the Impala Eco, I believe. Obviously there will be plenty of differences between the cars, presumably the Impala won't be as nice, but it should give you a general idea of what the Impala will be like.

Efficiency varies, for some things the Japanese are on top, for others, the Americans are. As for reliability, it's tough to tell, but it seems like Americans are improving. Certainly overall quality is improving. With any car, though, I would be reluctant to buy a first year model.

Care to elaborate?

Also with regards to compact/mid-size sedans, would you have any recommendations? With reliability and efficiency (especially mpg) being top billing.

matmanx1

Anybody here keep up with Everydaydriver.com? The guys there do some pretty entertaining reviews and videos on fun cars that can be driven on a daily basis. They've done a few pieces lately on the FRS/BRZ twins that were fun and informative and I've watched their Porsche Boxster and Cayman segments multiple times.

ascii42

Care to elaborate?

Also with regards to compact/mid-size sedans, would you have any recommendations? With reliability and efficiency (especially mpg) being top billing.

What I mean is, whether an American car or a Japanese car is the most efficient is something that varies from class to class. For example, the most efficient compact is currently the Chevy Cruze Eco. The most efficient midsize is currently the Nissan Altima.

I bought a Chevy Malibu in 2010, so that was when I was largely looking around. It seems like most midsize competitors have refreshed their cars since then, so most of my advice would be outdated. I think the only midsize car I've driven that's still sold is the Chrysler 200, which is nice enough, but I wouldn't recommend it if you want efficiency and reliability. I'm not sure about compacts. I'd probably go with the Focus if I were looking in that market. I would also recommend talking to Cruze owners, or going on message boards to see how their cars have been treating them. I'm not too impressed with the current Corolla or Civic.

GAF, what's the general consensus on the Chevy Impala 2014, the new revision? And while we're at it what's the consensus on american compacts/sedans? I currently drive a 2004 Corolla, but I'm thinking about making a switch to something bigger, and the eco model of the 2014 impala looks great (mpg is a big factor for me due to my commute). When I got the corolla I was still in high school, and the train of thought was if you want reliability/efficiency, always buy Japanese as American cars break down like crazy. Just want to know if this have changed, I'm not much of a car aficionado.

I would wait for the redesigned Fusion (2013 model year on sale this fall) and/or Mazda 6 (2014 model year on sale this spring). I'm looking to buy a car in the same segment and am not impressed by anything currently on the market. I'm waiting for the new Fusion at least before buying.

However, I do agree with the poster that said buying the first model year of a new/redesigned car can be a little risky, especially if you are concerned about reliability. I bought a 2004 Mazda 3 (first model year for that car) and it worked out really well except for rusting problems that seem to be somewhat common.

TylerD

Anybody here keep up with Everydaydriver.com? The guys there do some pretty entertaining reviews and videos on fun cars that can be driven on a daily basis. They've done a few pieces lately on the FRS/BRZ twins that were fun and informative and I've watched their Porsche Boxster and Cayman segments multiple times.

I subscribe to their YouTube channel and really enjoy their perspectives and reviews. They don't put out a ton of videos but when they do the quality is pretty high.

-----------

I am going to have a write up with some pics in the next couple of days about my adventure to Virginia and picking up my 06 330ci ZHP and driving it back to Oklahoma. Been extremely busy this week with work but I am so in love with my German.

ascii42

Have you had any problems with it so far? Would you say the negative image of american cars isn't really true anymore?

I actually did have an issue recently. The traction control and stability control would shut off intermittently. It was fixed under warrantee. So far, that's the only problem I've had. But I've only had it for just over 2 years, and have only put 17,000 miles on it. Overall, I'd say that it really depends on what you mean by reliable. An issue like I had is an annoyance, but it doesn't stop the car from working. It's the only new car I've ever had, so I don't have a frame of reference to how long it normally takes before something goes wrong. Before this, I hadn't had a car under 10 years old or with less than 80,000 miles.

I'm not sure the build quality is quite there with American cars, but they've greatly improved their cars. It'll take time to improve their image, as it takes time to prove that they really are more reliable than they used to be.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Going for the convertible head scraper or dying in the typical closed roof fashion?
3AQmK.gif
Closed roof. That way all the remains are contained. Won't even have to clean it up really. Just put it in a car crusher and send it to the wake. Better yet, send me to the Coca Cola Bottling plant first. I wouldn't mind being distributed across the planet.

"Where's Dad?"
"You're drinking him."

Halvie

Banned
It'll only be 300hp too, and I bet capped at that via internals.

I remember Subaru having a road map for it's development:
1. FA20, what's in the 86
2. A turbo version of said motor
3. A totally different version of said motor to be used in the WRX/STI.

A turbo version of the BRZ is coming, and it's direly needed. It won't make it any less of a "driver's car" despite what the sheeple say, in fact, it may actually become MORE fun... who'da thunk it?

the 11.3 run was ~460whp

aint' nearly light enough to pull that run off with 300

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
This may be neither here nor there...but I figured Halvie (?) would find it interesting (I think you own a GTI right?).

Had a run in with a 2011 GTI a few nights ago in my Z. He was driving hard, I let him pass as my lane was ending and he flashed his hazards. I was like "uhh...there was no race". So I high beamed him and we lined up for a little friendly in a secluded and deserted area. I knew he had a fast car, because when I let him pass me during the merger, he did it with no effort.

But from our friendly, I still won with a few disadvantages on top of that (manual trans, weight, full tank). I asked him what he had done, his GTI was a full APR stage 2, and of course the dual-clutch. Over 300WHP and 350lbs of WTQ - a torque figure that my Z will never achieve without forced induction. It was an interesting match, because I took off at 4000RPM, where I have a meager 270lbs of TQ from the motor...and he has 350lbs of it to the wheels. But, the moment I reached 5000RPM I pulled away.

He asked me what I had, and I told him just a few bolt-ons and a tune.

It was a bit of an eye opener though, those cars are quite fast for such simple mods. How well does the motor hold up to all of that with time?

ameratsu

So there's one of these for sale near me

$T2eC16ZHJGoE9nuQgj-zBQT9!BjK!Q~~48_20.JPG

1995 JDM Honda Integra Type-R. 104kms. Looks like it's in good shape, but I feel like it isn't worth his $9k asking price.

N-Bomb

1995 JDM Honda Integra Type-R. 104kms. Looks like it's in good shape, but I feel like it isn't worth his $9k asking price.

That's pretty... buy also RHD. :\ One thing that made me not get an FD - 80% of the ones on sale were RHD imports.

I would love to own a clean DC2 Type R, but 1) impossible to find a clean one 2) high theft car. $9k seems a bit "suspect", as in a little cheaper than what I've seen for a clean one.

ascii42

Man, that car looks worse every time I see a picture of it. It is an ugly, ugly thing. I wonder how the chassis is; I remember a common complaint of the last Viper being that it was horribly uncommunicative.

Yeah, it looks awkward in a lot of angles. I like this shot of the GTS though:
2013-srt-viper-10_large.jpg

Apart from the horribly unnecessary LEDs.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Apart from the horribly unnecessary LEDs.
Yeah... they've really managed to take a feature that looked neat and provided high visibility and made it into something for the tooliest tools on the planet.

sca2511

This may be neither here nor there...but I figured Halvie (?) would find it interesting (I think you own a GTI right?).

Had a run in with a 2011 GTI a few nights ago in my Z. He was driving hard, I let him pass as my lane was ending and he flashed his hazards. I was like "uhh...there was no race". So I high beamed him and we lined up for a little friendly in a secluded and deserted area. I knew he had a fast car, because when I let him pass me during the merger, he did it with no effort.

But from our friendly, I still won with a few disadvantages on top of that (manual trans, weight, full tank). I asked him what he had done, his GTI was a full APR stage 2, and of course the dual-clutch. Over 300WHP and 350lbs of WTQ - a torque figure that my Z will never achieve without forced induction. It was an interesting match, because I took off at 4000RPM, where I have a meager 270lbs of TQ from the motor...and he has 350lbs of it to the wheels. But, the moment I reached 5000RPM I pulled away.

He asked me what I had, and I told him just a few bolt-ons and a tune.

It was a bit of an eye opener though, those cars are quite fast for such simple mods. How well does the motor hold up to all of that with time?

Ugh, I can't even go to Stage 2. CARB and all that. I wonder how many people out there tune their cars, but hardly/never track them.

ameratsu

I would love to own a clean DC2 Type R, but 1) impossible to find a clean one 2) high theft car. $9k seems a bit "suspect", as in a little cheaper than what I've seen for a clean one.

It's a RHD model imported from Japan. RHD vehicles in Canada normally sell for less than their LHD equivalents. This particular model predates the introduction of the Type-R into the North American market.

coldfoot

Banned
I think the viper doesn't look that good either. The styling is horribly exaggerated and those headlamps look out of place. The biggest offender for me is the front fender which curves downwards before meeting the A pillar. I find all such cars quite ugly and that's also why I did not like the Mazda 6.

The best looking viper is still the SRT ACR.

I think the car looks stunning.

Not sure what hallucinogenic you guys are taking.

Looks fine to me too. A few awkward angles and certainly not getting near my Top 10 or anything, but it looks perfectly acceptable.

I can't imagine why its DRLs are at the top of anyone's complaints either. They look good.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Ugh, I can't even go to Stage 2. CARB and all that. I wonder how many people out there tune their cars, but hardly/never track them.

I haven't, but only because I hate to have to schlepp out to Maryland Attco or New Jersey MSP. But once I'm in Florida (greater Orlando area), I've already narrowed down the two tracks I'll be attending there.

paskowitz

BRZ STi (name pending) coming 2014. 300-350hp. Less HP than WRX STi which will come first (same engine though). Wider track. ~ +100lbs. More track focused, different character than the BRZ/FRS. Priced below WRX STi. Benchmark, budget 911.

Source: US dealers meeting a couple weeks ago. Sorry no text or audio.

ascii42

BRZ STi (name pending) coming 2014. 300-350hp. Less HP than WRX STi which will come first (same engine though). Wider track. ~ +100lbs. More track focused, different character than the BRZ/FRS. Priced below WRX STi. Benchmark, budget 911.

So low to mid $30k's? Not bad. For that amount I'd probably still be looking elsewhere, but I imagine it'll be a blast to drive.

pax217

Weeeeeeeee

just got rid my secondary pile of shit honda with a slipping clutch haha wooo

Enjoy it! In hindsight, my first two cars (both '93 Accord sedan EXs, 5spd) were some of the most enjoyable. I'm sure some of this is attributed to the fact that I had just started driving, and was younger-- but I still think back fondly of those two CB7s.

That sounds like fun. If I end up moving I might wait on buying something else until I hear more about this.

That's not a bad price at all...I have a friend who imported a 1996 EK9 for around that amount. The thing with Honda's is the CRAZY HIGH THEFT RATE. Seriously, it's one of the reasons why I haven't modded one yet. It doesn't help that Honda parts are like Lego so you can use them on various model chassis.

My one friend had his S2K stolen from his parents house a few years ago. I guess too many people knew that I had imported a bunch of parts for him from J-Land. Car meets are not car meets any more. It's like a open shopping list for thieves.

One night they broke into his mothers car, to grab the garage door opener. Opened the garage and rolled the car out. My friend was paranoid as hell already, so he always pulled the ECU but that didn't matter since they didn't have to start it to get it on a flat bed.

It still burns him up to this day (as it should).

Real talk, I'm not trying to advertise the parts I've been collecting over the years for my S15 that I'm importing. I can't believe it's come to this but I don't want to EVER go through that situation.

Oh and RHD isn't that bad once you get used to it. Though it sucks if you want fast food and have to use a drive thru.

ameratsu

Oh and RHD isn't that bad once you get used to it. Though it sucks if you want fast food and have to use a drive thru.

I drove a RHD car for the past 5 years. That's not the sticking point for me. It's that, like you said, this car does have some mods (skunk2 intake, msd ignition) and everything on it could be stripped and sold by thieves. I bet it would be a fun car to drive, but I couldn't deal with the possibility of having my car chopped to pieces before I even realize it's stolen. It's the same reason I decided not to buy a clean 2000 Civic SiR a little while ago.

matmanx1

Sounds like a huge amount of fun for the money. I might look into it depending on how the Porsche Cayman/Boxster thing pans out for me in a few months.

I drove a RHD car for the past 5 years. That's not the sticking point for me. It's that, like you said, this car does have some mods (skunk2 intake, msd ignition) and everything on it could be stripped and sold by thieves. I bet it would be a fun car to drive, but I couldn't deal with the possibility of having my car chopped to pieces before I even realize it's stolen. It's the same reason I decided not to buy a clean 2000 Civic SiR a little while ago.

This, big time. There's a guy on something awful who has (or had) an Acura ITR who would have to occasionally lose tails as people would try to follow him home. I think he lived somewhere in Cali where theft was an issue.

Just doesn't seem worth it to me.

N-Bomb

Much of this doesn't sound right to me, but I obviously can't refute it.

But seriously, I don't see the new Impreza STi making more than 350 if it's using the FA engine, so I don't see the BRZ STi making more than 275-300. Honestly, it doesn't even need to, with its low weight.

no inside pics?

Never liked cars with impossibly small windows that are impossible to see out of, unless they're italian supercars from the 70's and 80's. That's why I absolutely despise the camaro's styling, and would also never buy a mustang or challenger. I wish they made a ZL-1 version of the pontiac G8, which was the better looking, more practical, easier to see out of version of the Camaro with better visibility. That would be a killer car.
same.

this is the reason I passed on the CTS coupe. those side windows mine as well be slits instead of windows.

paskowitz

Much of this doesn't sound right to me, but I obviously can't refute it.

But seriously, I don't see the new Impreza STi making more than 350 if it's using the FA engine, so I don't see the BRZ STi making more than 275-300. Honestly, it doesn't even need to, with its low weight.

350hp is the maximum engine output. That does not mean that is what the final car will produce. I misspoke about the BRZ STi engine though. I meant to say will have the same engine it has now. Still the ~300hp mark stands.

N-Bomb

350hp is the maximum engine output. That does not mean that is what the final car will produce. I misspoke about the BRZ STi engine though. I meant to say will have the same engine it has now. Still the ~300hp mark stands.

Time will tell - I'm going to go on record though as saying I don't believe it'll be near this. 300 tops, likely less, thinking 280~ range, upped torque numbers.

More likely to be a budget Cayman than a budget 911.

Rad Agast

I don't think Subaru will release a turbo charged BRZ next year. A more powerful NA engine? Probably but no turbo.

As to the new Lexus, that grill... ;-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom