• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldfoot

Banned
haven't been to this thread before but hopefully this is the place,
is a power steering rack replacement normally 1,400 dollars? cause holy hell that seems like a lot,

i went to get an oil change today and they said that was needed with a flush and alignment alongside it.
i have an 04 camry xle with 130k miles, i didn't fix it today, trying to figure out what's up

Is your power steering not working? Is there anything wrong with your steering in the first place from what you can tell in daily driving?

pargonta

Is your power steering not working?

it is working fine, but it's leaking apparently. the solution container under the hood is still half full.
but they say they need to replace the rack, or else it will corrode, and eventually it would revert to manual steering i guess.
no nothing wrong with the steering. i plan to look for cheaper places and get it fixed, just wondering if this was normal.

ascii42

it is working fine, but it's leaking apparently. the solution container under the hood is still half full.
but they say they need to replace the rack, or else it will corrode, and eventually it would revert to manual steering i guess.
no nothing wrong with the steering. i plan to look for cheaper places and get it fixed, just wondering if this was normal.

It sounds high. Part's probably no more than a couple hundred bucks. I don't know what the labor should be though. Could probably also get a remanufactured one instead of a new one to save money.

Viperbah

A power steering rack should only be about 200 to 300 bucks, maybe cheaper.

They are not too difficult to replace, but take a while to do. $1400 sounds way way too high.

N-Bomb

According to wiki, GM's Quadrasteer allowd for up to 12 degree turning, which decreased the turning radius by 21%. That would be quite substantial on a Suburban. I'm not surprised that the cars have a much smaller range of motion, they'd probably have to significantly alter the rear end to allow for anything larger. Still probably had a remarkable effect on handling.

I believe the old R34 had 4WS, and I know the FC RX-7 had a passive rear steering (which most people disabled)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
For those that don't like the flare of the Vantage:

13amdb903.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
There has never been a better time to be a car enthusiast than today. Mammoth amounts of power...and more frugal than a Prius? Hahaha.

pargonta

It sounds high. Part's probably no more than a couple hundred bucks. I don't know what the labor should be though. Could probably also get a remanufactured one instead of a new one to save money.

A power steering rack should only be about 200 to 300 bucks, maybe cheaper. They are not too difficult to replace, but take a while to do. $1400 sounds way way too high.

Alright cool, thanks guys. i'm going out to some friend of friends mechanics tomorrow to see if they see the same problem as the bigger establishment i went to first and why the price is way different at that other place. thank you for the responses!

AlphaSnake

No doubt about it in my mind, that is my next car. That charcoal gray color is fucking ridiculous. Unless the rear-end is made out of dog shit, nothing will stop me from getting this thing.

matmanx1

Meet George!

DSC02153_zpsb83ed646.jpg

I said I was going to wait until the Holidays or maybe even the first of next year to make a purchase but this deal was too good to pass up. 2007 Porsche Boxster with 6288 miles on it!

It was a 7 hour round trip to Nashville and back but it was worth it. And I'm quite sure I giggled more than a few times on the return trip as the Boxster is an absolute hoot to drive. And the best part is, I paid the used car price (just over 31k) for a car that's almost brand new.

I am so taking tomorrow off as a Personal Day from work just to tool around the back roads here near my house. It's quite, it's rural and there are plenty of S curves. It's gonna be fantastic.

Halvie

Banned
how stupid is it to run wider wheels tires up front than in the back?

thinking 18x9 - 9.5 245 in the front 8.5 225 in the back? Thinking it will help the wheel spin, but will it cause a shit ton of oversteer?

ascii42

Try 1946-1972, 1986-1997.

Those were good times, but the cars from then still exist today (mostly), you couldn't get today's cars back then.

It's sort of like how now is the best time to be a movie buff or a video gamer, the stuff from the past still exists. It's a bit different with cars though, because older cars decay and such, whereas movies and games are still the same now as they were then.

thinking 18x9 - 9.5 245 in the front 8.5 225 in the back? Thinking it will help the wheel spin, but will it cause a shit ton of oversteer?

I don't imagine it would upset the car's handling all that much. What's the issue you're having that you want to correct and how is the current handling? It'll definitely lean more towards oversteer, especially during off-throttle cornering, but if your car plows like a truck right now that could only be to your benefit.

TylerD

Meet George!

That is extremely awesome and I hope he treats you well. That is very low mileage for a 07. What was the story behind the low mileage?

finished pics? What did you all do / use? GTX turbo finally shows up tomorrow++

Excellent, We will need pics when you get it.

----------

Interior is pretty much where I want it other than a leather scuff on the drivers door panel and some random tiny slits in the leather seats but I need a good leather conditioner and dash/plastic protectant. I have some Gliptone leather conditioner and 303 Aerospace Protectant on the way. I Cleaned the leather using Zymol cleaner and a slight agitation with a soft brush and microfiber cloths followed by a wipe down with a damp microfiber cloth and then finally a dry one. It helps to remove any residue and stickyness from the seats that a cleaner can leave behind and made them feel really good before I get to the conditioning step.

For carpet and mats I have used Tuff Stuff foaming spray with a stiff brush since I had my 944s. I thought about replacing the front mats but after a couple of good scrubbings with brushes and microfiber towels to pull up the loosened dirt they look just fine to me. The driver one has some fading but I like the character of it. There are no permanent carpet stains that I found.

I use Armor All orange wipes on the dashboard, soft touch materials, seat belts/buckles, and all plastics to clean. Will also use them on door jambs. A quick pass over with a hand held Swiffer duster every week will keep dust out after I took the time to use a real hair brush to remove all the dust I could from every surface and crevice.

Finished product before surface dressing with 303 and leather conditioning:

Hrm... I see where I can go back over this seat after looking at this pic. It never ends.

I spent several hours meticulously cleaning all the crap off the wheels and in-between the spokes (platic knife wrapped with a microfiber cloth works wonders) and applying a couple of coats of Wheel Wax. That stuff seems pretty legit and smells so good. I did all 4 wheels with just a tiny bit more than what was stuck to the lid when I opened it. Drove about 40 miles and got some dust on the rims and with the slightest brush of my finger tip everything came off so I should be able to clean them with nothing more than a water spray down and very light scrub when they are really dirty. It really makes them shine too.

I love these wheels but hate cleaning them...

I am really pleased with the overall condition of the interior. I had the common sagging pillar fabric and decided to just pull it off on both C-pillars and it looks fine. Going to buy replacements for the A-pillars eventually.

I just ordered a bunch of stuff from DetailedImage.com and ZainoShop.com to do exterior work and will have an update after all that is done. Today, the engine bay gets it.

matmanx1

That is extremely awesome and I hope he treats you well. That is extremely low mileage for a 07. What was the story behind the low mileage?

Excellent, We will need pics when you get it.

----------

Interior is pretty much where I want it other than a leather scuff on the drivers door panel and some random tiny slits in the leather seats but I need a good leather conditioner and dash/plastic protectant. I have some Gliptone leather conditioner and 303 Aerospace Protectant on the way. I Cleaned the leather using Zymol cleaner and a slight agitation with a soft brush and microfiber cloths followed by a wipe down with a damp microfiber cloth and then finally a dry one. It helps to remove any residue and stickyness from the seats that a cleaner can leave behind and made them feel really good before I get to the conditioning step.

For carpet and mats I have used Tuff Stuff foaming spray with a stiff brush since I had my 944s. I thought about replacing the front mats but after a couple of good scrubbings with brushes and microfiber towels to pull up the loosened dirt they look just fine to me. The driver one has some fading but I like the character of it. There are no permanent carpet stains that I found.

I use Armor All orange wipes on the dashboard, soft touch materials, seat belts/buckles, and all plastics to clean. Will also use them on door jambs. A quick pass over with a hand held Swiffer duster every week will keep dust out after I took the time to use a real hair brush to remove all the dust I could from every surface and crevice.

Finished product before surface dressing with 303 and leather conditioning:

Hrm... I see where I can go back over this seat after looking at this pic. It never ends.

I spent several hours meticulously cleaning all the crap off the wheels and in-between the spokes (platic knife wrapped with a microfiber cloth works wonders) and applying a couple of coats of Wheel Wax. That stuff seems pretty legit and smells so good. I did all 4 wheels with just a tiny bit more than what was stuck to the lid when I opened it. Drove about 40 miles and got some dust on the rims and with the slightest brush of my finger tip everything came off so I should be able to clean them with nothing more than a water spray down and very light scrub when they are really dirty. It really makes them shine too.

I love these wheels but hate cleaning them...

I am really pleased with the overall condition of the interior. I had the common sagging pillar fabric and decided to just pull it off on both C-pillars and it looks fine. Going to buy replacements for the A-pillars eventually.

I just ordered a bunch of stuff from DetailedImage.com and ZainoShop.com to do exterior work and will have an update after all that is done. Today, the engine bay gets it.

Thanks for your writeup. I was just going to look around today for some cleaning products for my new ride so your post is helpful to me.

I don't know the full story on my Boxster other than what my Carfax and Autocheck reports tell me but I can tell that it was driven less than 3k miles from June 07 until April of this year when it was given a full service and evidently had a lien against it due to non payment. It's had another 3k miles put on it this year and it's fortunately been taken extremely good care of as it looks absolutely brand new.

N-Bomb

Those were good times, but the cars from then still exist today (mostly), you couldn't get today's cars back then.

It's sort of like how now is the best time to be a movie buff or a video gamer, the stuff from the past still exists. It's a bit different with cars though, because older cars decay and such, whereas movies and games are still the same now as they were then.

I'd argue that perhaps because of lesser regulations/laws/traffic and cheaper gas/etc that maybe it was better, even accounting for new stuff.

Explain.

Are you trying to reduce front wheel wheelspin?

The F-Type will look ****ing gorgeous in coupe form, the foundation is set already. There's no way they can mess it up. Wheel's on the anthracite model look awful though.

I'm hoping that the non-F-Type S cars do not have different bumpers, little worried they'll look a bit plain. Also given that all the XF and XJ both have R models, I can't wait to see what an F-Type R will look like!

AlphaSnake

I'd argue that perhaps because of lesser regulations/laws/traffic and cheaper gas/etc that maybe it was better, even accounting for new stuff.

Explain.

You didn't meet any of the criterias I mentioned. I said insane power figures + more frugal than a Prius.

ascii42

True, filling up a muscle car with $0.10/gallon gas would be a lot nicer than filling it up with $4/gallon gas.

J-Rzez

I always recommend 303 to everyone, use it on my car, and on my clients. It feels right (not greasy), the shine is right (not too much, just enough), and it lasts.

robox

on a front drive car, not. though it's done to get the car to rotate more, where trying to induce "shit ton of oversteer" really means to get less understeer.

Ovid

Saw this in Queens last week. Some cars can pull this off (namely the BMW 3-Series) coupe...

...and some cars can't
OeQIU.jpg

What a shame...and the '03+ Celica was a beautiful car too.

AlphaSnake

Saw this in Queens last week. Some cars can pull this off (namely the BMW 3-Series) coupe...

...and some cars can't
OeQIU.jpg

What a shame...and the '03+ Celica was a beautiful car too.

Hahaha I've seen that hunk of shit before!

Where did you spot it?

gatti-man

No offense, but the Carbon Edition has virtually no aesthetic or ergonomic change to the interior - the gauges and dashboard are still disgusting, and the center console is a 1990s style mess with enormous and disproportionate looking air-con dials. Yes, the materials are of higher quality, but the look of it remains the same.

I love virtually everything about the Camaro beside that terrible looking cabin. If they can make a good looking interior for the next gen car, I'd certainly consider it.

In any case, I've seen a ZL1 here and there in Nassau (Manhasset) and Brooklyn (Ocean Pkwy) - both of which were grey. Great looking car, understated, but has a presence.

Well you are wrong. The only thing that looks old is the easily swapped steering wheel center and ac ducts. Let me dig up some pics for you. The ac ducts are fine once properly wrapped in leather. The ergonomics? It's a sports car wtf are you talking about? It is purpose built and everything is right where it's supposed to be. 1990s? Dude my last car was a 5 series BMW and I don't miss the interior or feel like I'm in a car from the 1990s. I'm sure your post is hyperbole but still Atleast drive a car before making crazy statements.

$(KGrHqIOKjgE1qmVzIejBNpf(oQY8g~~_4.JPG

$(KGrHqMOKowE1z-YTje1BNpfY4U8Ow~~_4.JPG

$(KGrHqMOKnQE2diE)gTlBNpfZNfKgw~~_4.JPG

$(KGrHqIOKigE1z-,ct(bBNpfZYpvQ!~~_4.JPG

AlphaSnake

Well you are wrong. The only thing that looks old is the easily swapped steering wheel center and ac ducts. Let me dig up some pics for you. The ac ducts are fine once properly wrapped in leather. The ergonomics? It's a sports car wtf are you talking about? It is purpose built and everything is right where it's supposed to be. 1990s? Dude my last car was a 5 series BMW and I don't miss the interior or feel like I'm in a car from the 1990s. I'm sure your post is hyperbole but still Atleast drive a car before making crazy statements.

$(KGrHqIOKjgE1qmVzIejBNpf(oQY8g~~_4.JPG

$(KGrHqMOKowE1z-YTje1BNpfY4U8Ow~~_4.JPG

$(KGrHqMOKnQE2diE)gTlBNpfZNfKgw~~_4.JPG

$(KGrHqIOKigE1z-,ct(bBNpfZYpvQ!~~_4.JPG

Umm...bro...why the hell are you posting pics of a Corvette ZR1, when the discussion was about a Camaro ZL1?

I don't mind Vette interiors.

ascii42

Umm...bro...why the hell are you posting pics of a Corvette ZR1, when the discussion was about a Camaro ZL1?

I don't mind Vette interiors.

I think it's about this:
No offense, but the Carbon Edition has virtually no aesthetic or ergonomic change to the interior - the gauges and dashboard are still disgusting, and the center console is a 1990s style mess with enormous and disproportionate looking air-con dials. Yes, the materials are of higher quality, but the look of it remains the same.

matmanx1

The only bad thing about the Vette interior is the steering wheel and the instrument pod. Those buttons on either side look cheap and tacky. Unfortunately, that's one of the most important parts in the interior of a sports car because it's where your vision is constantly hitting and somehow it's a complete miss by GM. The rest of the interior is ok though.

Here's a couple more shots of George in the daylight. I've been burning up the backroads around here this afternoon and already blackened two white medium size terry cloth towels wiping down the wheels and front (bugs are not my friend!) bumper. The front wheels on this car produce copious amounts of brake dust while the rear wheels seem to hardly produce any at all. The upside is because it's a small car with a ragtop the cleanable surface area is greatly reduced!

DSC02154_zps73a30f5a.jpg

DSC02156_zps527b4b9c.jpg

gatti-man

The only bad thing about the Vette interior is the steering wheel and the instrument pod. Those buttons on either side look cheap and tacky. Unfortunately, that's one of the most important parts in the interior of a sports car because it's where your vision is constantly hitting and somehow it's a complete miss by GM. The rest of the interior is ok though.

Here's a couple more shots of George in the daylight. I've been burning up the backroads around here jpg[/IMG]

Well yeah. Your porsche interior is amazing. However my car is much faster :) If I could afford a porsche as fast as the z06 i would totally buy one. A custom wheel cover is like $450. Its on my todo list.

The thing that bothers me the most in my car is the turn signal. It clicks and clacks with a large motion. Feels cheap as hell.

Ovid

Here's a couple more shots of George in the daylight. I've been burning up the backroads around here this afternoon and already blackened two white medium size terry cloth towels wiping down the wheels and front (bugs are not my friend!) bumper. The front wheels on this car produce copious amounts of brake dust while the rear wheels seem to hardly produce any at all. The upside is because it's a small car with a ragtop the cleanable surface area is greatly reduced!
I don't know why but Porsche's never appealed to me. Am I weird?

I think I saw a GT3 like once, ever. Now THAT car broke my neck. Still get spasms from it.

AlphaSnake

The carbon edition in your post I quoted is a Z06 corvette. There is no carbon edition camaro.

Then why did you tell him to check out a carbon...when his post was talking about the ZL1 Camaro?

Unless you were telling him to forget the ZL1 and consider a Corvette? Then that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom