• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lexus LF-CC Concept.

lexus-lf-cc-concept.jpg

More like Lexus LF-zzZ amirite?

Looks like shit. In fact everything Lexus has been producing in their attempt to rebrand themselves as "sporty" has looked like shit. The LF-LC concept looks laughably bad. Like someone took the blur tool in Photoshop and went to town while blindfolded. The LFA, while a fairly impressive car has also been a failure as a Halo Product.

Aguirre

Looks like shit. In fact everything Lexus has been producing in their attempt to rebrand themselves as "sporty" has looked like shit. The LF-LC concept looks laughably bad. Like someone took the blur tool in Photoshop and went to town while blindfolded. The LFA, while a fairly impressive car has also been a failure as a Halo Product.

lexus should go back to this
unbreakable

I drove a RHD car for the past 5 years. That's not the sticking point for me. It's that, like you said, this car does have some mods (skunk2 intake, msd ignition) and everything on it could be stripped and sold by thieves. I bet it would be a fun car to drive, but I couldn't deal with the possibility of having my car chopped to pieces before I even realize it's stolen. It's the same reason I decided not to buy a clean 2000 Civic SiR a little while ago.

Oh word? What do you drive?

This, big time. There's a guy on something awful who has (or had) an Acura ITR who would have to occasionally lose tails as people would try to follow him home. I think he lived somewhere in Cali where theft was an issue.

Just doesn't seem worth it to me.

That happens more then you'd think. I've had friends who show up to my house (sometimes at odd hours) because they're being followed.

Going to certain meets, is just giving thieves a parts shopping list.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I think the car looks stunning.

Not sure what hallucinogenic you guys are taking.

the ALMS versions look even better though after seeing those the non racing versions arent AS cool, but meh still looks cool to me and i hear its a beast probably going to humble some more cars on the track.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
After a few months I decided our Audi/Lexus were too small for the family so I went ahead and grabbed this today:

2011_honda_element.top.jpg

The space between the front and rear seats is just so good, especially for the baby seat. Also love how wide the field of view is.

matmanx1

I admit, I have next to no knowledge about Audi and their cars. My parents had one years ago and it was the worst car they ever had and was constantly breaking. That knowledge (however outdated) combined with the fact that there are no close by dealerships means that I have zero firsthand knowledge about them.

They do make good looking cars with nice interiors and that's about what I can tell from pictures. How are their products stacking up with other German cars these days including BMW and Porsche?

I admit, I have next to no knowledge about Audi and their cars. My parents had one years ago and it was the worst car they ever had and was constantly breaking. That knowledge (however outdated) combined with the fact that there are no close by dealerships means that I have zero firsthand knowledge about them.

They do make good looking cars with nice interiors and that's about what I can tell from pictures. How are their products stacking up with other German cars these days including BMW and Porsche?

Porsche >>>> BMW >>> Audi. If you care about reliability don't go anywhere near an Audi.

paskowitz

?

Audi's reliability is better than BMW's.

And Porsche and Audi are one company...so they share a ton of the same parts and such.

Audi is about the same in terms of reliability now... but that was not the case a couple of years ago. BMW engines and transmissions are tanks. Audi... not so much. BMW are usually cheaper to own, but it varies by model.

Sure Porsces and Audis share electrical components and the like but that is about where is stops. These are all "VW group" parts and that is not really a "good" thing.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Audi is about the same in terms of reliability now... but that was not the case a couple of years ago. BMW engines and transmissions are tanks. Audi... not so much. BMW are usually cheaper to own, but it varies by model.

Sure Porsces and Audis share electrical components and the like but that is about where is stops. These are all "VW group" parts and that is not really a "good" thing.

BMW and Audi use the exact the same transmissions, their 6 speeds from the 2000s were built by one company (ZF) to virtually identical specs, as were Porsches. Their 8-speeds from today are as well built almost the same, and still by ZF. Engines are rock solid for both, but Audi suffered plethora of issues with their 1.8Ts and 2.0Ts, the naturally aspirated stuff - especially the V8s - were bulletproof. Meanwhile, BMW had their shitstorm with their twin-turbo 3.0L N54 motors left and right. Moreover, Audi and Porsche are sharing some engines, as well as transmissions still today, electrical components, chassis for the Cayenne and Q7, and many other parts.

Having said all of that, BMW has sunk in reliability for JD Power's 2012 ratings (for 2009 model year cars), with Audi quite a few steps ahead of them.

This is all just me being an objective owner of both a BMW and an Audi today.

paskowitz

BMW and Audi use the exact the same transmissions, their 6 speeds from the 2000s were built by one company (ZF) to virtually identical specs, as were Porsches. Their 8-speeds from today are as well built almost the same, and still by ZF. Engines are rock solid for both, but Audi suffered plethora of issues with their 1.8Ts and 2.0Ts, the naturally aspirated stuff - especially the V8s - were bulletproof. Meanwhile, BMW had their shitstorm with their twin-turbo 3.0L N54 motors left and right. Moreover, Audi and Porsche are sharing some engines, as well as transmissions still today, electrical components, chassis for the Cayenne and Q7, and many other parts.

Having said all of that, BMW has sunk in reliability for JD Power's 2012 ratings (for 2009 model year cars), with Audi quite a few steps ahead of them.

This is all just me being an objective owner of both a BMW and an Audi today.

I will concede that BMW has dropped in recent reports, but they have a much better track record (vs Audi). They are also generally (it varies) cheaper to own and repair (out of warranty) vs Audi.

Also, I know all their parts suppliers are roughly the same... but someone has to put everything together and that is where the problems occur.

For the sake of transparency my family had a 2.0T A4 AT and it was an absolute nightmare. Before that we had a Passat... same deal. Admittedly, our experience still haunts my thoughts.

I don't think Subaru will release a turbo charged BRZ next year. A more powerful NA engine? Probably but no turbo.

100hp/L is already pushing it for a NA engine. I haven't driven a BRZ/FR-S yet (get to try the latter on Saturday), but from all accounts it's not a very high-strung engine.

The wife's Impreza is in the shop for a banged up fender and we've got a 2012 Civic as a rental. Pros: first stereo I've seen that properly displays Japanese characters (but not Korean?!) Cons: pretty much everything else. Can't wait to give it back.

AlphaSnake

I will concede that BMW has dropped in recent reports, but they have a much better track record (vs Audi). They are also generally (it varies) cheaper to own and repair (out of warranty) vs Audi.

Also, I know all their parts suppliers are roughly the same... but someone has to put everything together and that is where the problems occur.

For the sake of transparency my family had a 2.0T A4 AT and it was an absolute nightmare. Before that we had a Passat... same deal. Admittedly, our experience still haunts my thoughts.

No doubt about it, my fiance used to have a 2006 A4 2.0T which was indeed catastrophically problematic mechanically. Now her and I have a 2008 BMW 335 Coupe. I used to have a 2005 Audi A6 4.2L, which apart from some stupid MMI issues (early production woes), a dead oil level sensor (cheap fix), and then later on at nearly 80K miles torque converter problems...the car went through New York City hell and back. I currently have a 2012 A6 3.0T, but leased this one.

Quite honestly, my 350Z took a piss of a beating from me for 45K miles straight and never not once had a mechanical issue. Ever. Again, on New York City roads.

My 370Z thus far has been problem free, with a similar spirited driving style...with the occasional thrashing here and there. Granted, it's still a baby with less than 12K miles...but I know it's rock solid and absolutely reliable. I am driving it to Florida to my new house in March and I have no worries about it.

Zyzyxxz

?

Audi's reliability is better than BMW's.

And Porsche and Audi are one company...so they share a ton of the same parts and such.

But they only merged recently but that doesn't mean they share the same problems at the factory level and quality control, at least yet but who knows.

Opinions on the GT-R?

Stupid crazy fast, feels lighter than actual weight, crazy grip and you always feels like you're in control. Not too bad on on gas(23mpg). Guy magnet. Can actually fit 3 people. Awesome HUD. Doesn't feel like a video game, still need to pay attention. It's a rattle box, rattles everywhere. Transmission is noisy. Front tires wears out fast and there expensive. More comfortable than most sports cars and super cars....

Audi may very well be recovering but the nightmare stories from the early-mid 2000s for them and VW will keep me at bay until long-term records have shown a proper turn-around.

Then again I owned a 996 out of warranty so I may just be an idiot.

TDK Rises

Stupid crazy fast, feels lighter than actual weight, crazy grip and you always feels like you're in control. Not too bad on on gas(23mpg). Guy magnet. Can actually fit 3 people. Awesome HUD. Doesn't feel like a video game, still need to pay attention. It's a rattle box, rattles everywhere. Transmission is noisy. Front tires wears out fast and there expensive. More comfortable than most sports cars and super cars....

Thanks for the info. Someone told me about the awful transmission, while a few others said it's no big deal. Maybe next year hopefully.

AlphaSnake

But they only merged recently but that doesn't mean they share the same problems at the factory level and quality control, at least yet but who knows.

It's not about merger or not, even before the mergers they shared all of these components.

Porsche and VW have a very tied up past, coming from the same family of founders with a lot of dysfunction behind them.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
German publication AutoBild is reporting that the upcoming 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo, already set to be a technical tour de force, will offer all-wheel steering to go with standard all-wheel drive. Porsche hopes to increase the outright handling ability of the 991 Turbo via four-wheel steering, though no mention is made as to how the system will operate.

/nods

... wait, what?!

Viperbah

Thanks for the info. Someone told me about the awful transmission, while a few others said it's no big deal. Maybe next year hopefully.

The transmission is only bad in the early models. Even then, I don't think it will be much of an issue for you unless you plan on launching it often.

ascii42

/nods

... wait, what?!

That's pretty sweet. I've always kind of wanted a car with four wheel steering, or perhaps one of those quadrasteer Chevy/GMC trucks.

I curious how it'll be set up to work. In other vehicles I've seen it, the back wheels turn opposite the front wheels at low speeds, but with them at high speeds. So at high speeds, lane changes are easier, but I would think for the track, you wouldn't want that. They'll probably have various settings.

AlphaSnake

/nods

... wait, what?!

That's pretty sweet. I've always kind of wanted a car with four wheel steering, or perhaps one of those quadrasteer Chevy/GMC trucks.

I curious how it'll be set up to work. In other vehicles I've seen it, the back wheels turn opposite the front wheels at low speeds, but with them at high speeds. So at high speeds, lane changes are easier, but I would think for the track, you wouldn't want that. They'll probably have various settings.

Nissan has done 4WS before, most recently on the Infiniti M and in the past with 300Zs. Likewise, Mitsubishi did it with the 3000GT VR4. The range of motion is very finite for these cars, though, 1 to 2 degrees.

Edit:

Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-3IR5X26W0

McLaren reveals P1 design study, F1 successor takes shape:

McLaren has released the first official images of its P1 design study, the supercar precursor that we've all been waiting for. This stunner will officially debut at the Paris Motor Show next week.

Calling the P1 McLaren's next "ultimate supercar," McLaren says this concept takes its inspiration from the company's rich racing heritage. Visually, we certainly see the connection with the late, great McLaren F1 – the concept seems to blend the proportions of the F1 with the overall design language of the current MP4-12C. With an exceedingly brief, snubbed nose flowing into wildly sculpted rear bodywork (we're especially fond of the rear three-quarter view), the P1 is more dramatic and compelling than it's relatively staid MP4-12C little brother, truly selling the supercar idea without having to move a wheel. That the concept is rendered in a searing shade of orange metallic doesn't hurt, either.

Of course, McLaren isn't giving us any hints on the technical details for the eventual production version of the P1, though it does speak to the intent of the final car. The P1 is not intended to be the world's fastest vehicle in terms of "absolute top speed," shooting, according to Ron Dennis, to be, "the quickest and most rewarding series production road car on a circuit." That's supercar snobbery – a cockiness based on purity of purpose, rather than numbers on a specification sheet – that is bound to resonate with car geeks everywhere.

After the Paris showing of the P1, we're told it will be one year until the production version of the range-topping supercar shows up, with an on-sale date sometime in the last part of 2013. Look for much more information about the P1, live from our Paris team, next week.

The P1 ought to look stunning in Papaya Orange. I need to see it from more angles to get a better sense of the proportions, but it's very promising-- a love child of the original F1 and a modern LMP car. It's refreshing to see such a compact and tidy supercar these days, (at least that's how it looks in these press shots).

The rumored figures-- ~900+ hp with KERS, 2,700 lbs curb, 2+ g's on street tires-- are fairly mind-blowing, and I can't wait to see how the P1 stacks up to the forthcoming Enzo successor.

AlphaSnake

With those power ratings, that curb weight, those aerodynamics...this thing will annihilate the Veyron in every way possible. I predict a top speed of over 265MPH.

Spaceman: Bring the pics back! We don't care about the other thread.

ascii42

Nissan has done 4WS before, most recently on the Infiniti M and in the past with 300Zs. Likewise, Mitsubishi did it with the 3000GT VR4. The range of motion is very finite for these cars, though, 1 to 2 degrees.

According to wiki, GM's Quadrasteer allowd for up to 12 degree turning, which decreased the turning radius by 21%. That would be quite substantial on a Suburban. I'm not surprised that the cars have a much smaller range of motion, they'd probably have to significantly alter the rear end to allow for anything larger. Still probably had a remarkable effect on handling.

AlphaSnake

According to wiki, GM's Quadrasteer allowd for up to 12 degree turning, which decreased the turning radius by 21%. That would be quite substantial on a Suburban. I'm not surprised that the cars have a much smaller range of motion, they'd probably have to significantly alter the rear end to allow for anything larger. Still probably had a remarkable effect on handling.

Yeah, it made a difference.

Check out the videos of how it works - the systems primarily work when your wheel is on opposite lock. Otherwise, tire wear would be awful if it was always active.

coldfoot

Banned
P1 specs are great (though I still doubt that curb weight, will be closer to 3000 lbs), but it's a disappointment compared to the real F1. The styling is just too generic and similar to the MP4-12 and it should have kept the 3 seater layout IMO.

pargonta

haven't been to this thread before but hopefully this is the place,
is a power steering rack replacement normally 1,400 dollars? cause holy hell that seems like a lot,

i went to get an oil change today and they said that was needed with a flush and alignment alongside it.
i have an 04 camry xle with 130k miles, i didn't fix it today, trying to figure out what's up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom