• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I don't know why but Porsche's never appealed to me. Am I weird?

I think I saw a GT3 like once, ever. Now THAT car broke my neck. Still get spasms from it.

I dislike Porsches quite a bit, myself.

They aren't that good looking. The noises they make hurt my ears. But there's no denying they are superbly engineered and some of the most capable road going cars money can buy.

Though, I am very fond of the current 991 and am trying to secure a drive of it. Previous drives of Caymans and 997 Carreras left me unimpressed in a number of ways.

gatti-man

Then why did you tell him to check out a carbon...when his post was talking about the ZL1 Camaro?

Unless you were telling him to forget the ZL1 and consider a Corvette? Then that makes sense.

Yeah thats what I was saying. The carbon interior really feels nice. My old 08 ls3 vette interior was very poor in comparison. The camaro interiors I have seen are not something I would consider driving in. Too retro for me.

paskowitz

Well you are wrong. The only thing that looks old is the easily swapped steering wheel center and ac ducts. Let me dig up some pics for you. The ac ducts are fine once properly wrapped in leather. The ergonomics? It's a sports car wtf are you talking about? It is purpose built and everything is right where it's supposed to be. 1990s? Dude my last car was a 5 series BMW and I don't miss the interior or feel like I'm in a car from the 1990s. I'm sure your post is hyperbole but still Atleast drive a car before making crazy statements.

$(KGrHqIOKjgE1qmVzIejBNpf(oQY8g~~_4.JPG

$(KGrHqMOKowE1z-YTje1BNpfY4U8Ow~~_4.JPG

$(KGrHqMOKnQE2diE)gTlBNpfZNfKgw~~_4.JPG

$(KGrHqIOKigE1z-,ct(bBNpfZYpvQ!~~_4.JPG

What about the seats?

AlphaSnake

Yeah thats what I was saying. The carbon interior really feels nice. My old 08 ls3 vette interior was very poor in comparison. The camaro interiors I have seen are not something I would consider driving in. Too retro for me.

Okay, makes sense now.

I do agree though, I've long said it: Vette interiors are decent looking when equipped with navi and the optional suede like your carbon interior.

ascii42

Okay, makes sense now.

I do agree though, I've long said it: Vette interiors are decent looking when equipped with navi and the optional suede like your carbon interior.

I mostly agree, but the navigation unit is nearing decade old technology at this point. Those systems are DVD based, so I guess it's good for older C6 owners that they can still get the latest maps.

What about the seats?

I heard they had updated the seats, but I haven't heard any impressions of the new seats.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
No doubt about it in my mind, that is my next car. That charcoal gray color is fucking ridiculous. Unless the rear-end is made out of dog shit, nothing will stop me from getting this thing.

I like it. Just realized what it sort of reminds me of. A Spyker, but less blingy. Which is good.

AlphaSnake

I like it. Just realized what it sort of reminds me of. A Spyker, but less blingy. Which is good.

Yeah, but I'm at a bridge that I don't know how to cross. I have the 370Z right? And I have a crazy hoot in that car every time I drive it. I've quite literally perfected that car to my liking - it's everything I've always wanted out of a sports car. 400HP from the motor. 3200lbs. Lower than stock. Retains cushy ride. Handles like a roller coaster. Tail steps out whenever I want it to. And it's stick. I've put money into the car, needless to say.

The Z is coming with me to Florida, I'm driving it down there, in fact. My wife and I are getting a Jaguar XF 5.0 already too. So, it's like:

Two Jaguars in one household?
Two coupes + sedan in one household?
Sell the Z for the Jaguar F-Type? :(

It almost doesn't make sense for me to sell the Z because the Jag won't be stick and it'll surely have a different balance in driving dynamics, despite the aim of the car to be a direct Porsche Cayman/Boxster competitor.

1st world problems, guys.

N-Bomb

You didn't meet any of the criterias I mentioned. I said insane power figures + more frugal than a Prius.

Insane power, yes... but since when was fuel efficiency ever on any true enthusiast's radar? That's like a hardcore gamer worrying about his power consumption.

Saw this in Queens last week. Some cars can pull this off (namely the BMW 3-Series) coupe...

...and some cars can't
OeQIU.jpg

What a shame...and the '03+ Celica was a beautiful car too.

Dude's missing the front side markers!!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yeah, but I'm at a bridge that I don't know how to cross. I have the 370Z right? And I have a crazy hoot in that car every time I drive it. I've quite literally perfected that car to my liking - it's everything I've always wanted out of a sports car. 400HP from the motor. 3200lbs. Lower than stock. Retains cushy ride. Handles like a roller coaster. Tail steps out whenever I want it to. And it's stick. I've put money into the car, needless to say.

The Z is coming with me to Florida, I'm driving it down there, in fact. My wife and I are getting a Jaguar XF 5.0 already too. So, it's like:

It almost doesn't make sense for me to sell the Z because the Jag won't be stick and it'll surely have a different balance in driving dynamics, despite the aim of the car to be a direct Porsche Cayman/Boxster competitor.

If you can learn to let go of the stick you will find other ways to get visceral enjoyment from driving and you'll forget stick ever connected you to anything other than a hefty transmission bill every five years. I do not miss it any more than I miss smoking cigarettes.

Ovid

Insane power, yes... but since when was fuel efficiency ever on any true enthusiast's radar? That's like a hardcore gamer worrying about his power consumption.

Dude's missing the front side markers!!

LOL, one of the first things I noticed too besides the ugly paint job.

I had that new front fascia style Celica when it was introduced in 2003. It was rare to see back then and it's extremely rare to see today.

Halvie

Banned

If you are already getting a xf why not just tinker with the z for a while longer?

Are you trying to reduce front wheel wheelspin?

Yeah. 17"s don't fit over my brakes since switching again, so drag radials aren't an option anymore. Want to do an awd swap, but the car doesn't make enough power to make the price worth it.

I am really pleased with the overall condition of the interior. I had the common sagging pillar fabric and decided to just pull it off on both C-pillars and it looks fine. Going to buy replacements for the A-pillars eventually.

I just ordered a bunch of stuff from DetailedImage.com and ZainoShop.com to do exterior work and will have an update after all that is done. Today, the engine bay gets it.

No kidding, looks brand new!

matmanx1

Well yeah. Your porsche interior is amazing. However my car is much faster :) If I could afford a porsche as fast as the z06 i would totally buy one. A custom wheel cover is like $450. Its on my todo list.

The thing that bothers me the most in my car is the turn signal. It clicks and clacks with a large motion. Feels cheap as hell.

Vette's are most certainly crazy good performance for the money. I would not fault anyone for choosing one for a great performing car. My interest has always been in the overall feel of a good sports car and that includes the looks, the power, the handling, the interior, everything. For me, the Porsche (well, the Boxster and the Cayman since those are the ones I have direct experience with) is pretty strong in all areas even if it isn't the absolute best on paper.

I don't know why but Porsche's never appealed to me. Am I weird?

I think I saw a GT3 like once, ever. Now THAT car broke my neck. Still get spasms from it.

I think that's completely valid. They aren't the best looking or best performing cars on the road although as I stated above I feel like they do the whole package as well or better than anyone. Have you driven a Porsche though? It might change your mind. Or it might not. =)
I dislike Porsches quite a bit, myself.

They aren't that good looking. The noises they make hurt my ears. But there's no denying they are superbly engineered and some of the most capable road going cars money can buy.

Though, I am very fond of the current 991 and am trying to secure a drive of it. Previous drives of Caymans and 997 Carreras left me unimpressed in a number of ways.

What didn't you like about the Cayman? I'm just curious to hear your opinion.

gatti-man

The 370z chasis is limited. I would go cayman s or c6z06. That seems to be the natural progression. Or go crazy and get a viper/gtr. I came from a 350z myself.

AlphaSnake

The 370z chasis is limited. I would go cayman s or c6z06. That seems to be the natural progression. Or go crazy and get a viper/gtr. I came from a 350z myself.

I don't see much limitation with a 370Z, chassis or power wise. And like I said, I don't like Porsches, and I'm not a Vette fan either. I typically dislike American offerings, but the Viper is a consideration, albeit not something I want to spend money on.

The Jaguar F-Type has won me over, it offers just a bit of everything - over 400HP supercharged 5.0 V8, lightweight all aluminum chassis (3200-3300lbs), luxury, looks, sharp driving dynamics, etc.

We'll see what happens when the time comes, though.

gatti-man

I don't see much limitation with a 370Z, chassis or power wise. And like I said, I don't like Porsches, and I'm not a Vette fan either. I typically dislike American offerings, but the Viper is a consideration, albeit not something I want to spend money on.

The Jaguar F-Type has won me over, it offers just a bit of everything - over 400HP supercharged 5.0 V8, lightweight all aluminum chassis (3200-3300lbs), luxury, looks, sharp driving dynamics, etc.

We'll see what happens when the time comes, though.

but the jag is an American offering. Jag is owned by ford. The ftype is nice but it scares me being owned by ford Idk.

FStop7

Banned
I am seriously hyped for the new Viper. I've been tentatively planning on replacing my M6 next year with either an F10 M5 or a GTR. But I have to at least try the Viper out. So far all of the first impressions have been very positive, even from the European press - who didn't think much of the previous Viper.

but the jag is an American offering. Jag is owned by ford. The ftype is nice but it scares me being owned by ford Idk.

Ford sold Jaguar years ago. Tata now owns Jag.

AlphaSnake

Jag hasn't been owned by Ford for nearly 5 years now. The company is now just Jaguar-Land Rover, owned by Tata but operating autonomously with massive budgets each. Tata has no developmental involvement in the company, apart from managing finances.

gatti-man

Jag hasn't been owned by Ford for nearly 5 years now. The company is now just Jaguar-Land Rover, owned by Tata but operating autonomously with massive budgets each. Tata has no developmental involvement in the company, apart from managing finances.

ah news to me. Get the jag then, I'd love to hear your impressions..

I am seriously hyped for the new Viper. I've been tentatively planning on replacing my M6 next year with either an F10 M5 or a GTR. But I have to at least try the Viper out. So far all of the first impressions have been very positive, even from the European press - who didn't think much of the previous Viper.

Ford sold Jaguar years ago. Tata now owns Jag.

what's wrong with the m6? My gf is considering one.

J-Rzez

- That Celica has to be in primer, not a proper Matte finish, it's missing markers so it makes me think it's waiting for paint. If not, that's a horrible job on that car. I'm a little biased here though, considering I went through a "all show" car with my celica, won at Carlisle and even a Best Paint at E-Town. :)

- I never quite got into Porsches. I'm not going to question someone liking one, just never liked them myself.

- GM always claims that the next Vette will have way better interior. Yet they produce their typical tackle box feeling plastics and rat leather seats. I'll believe it when I see it that they actually make the interior up to par on the Vette with it's performance. Hell, even up to par of a typical Japanese econobox.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
032013audis3-1348233821.jpg

Just a day after the 2013 Audi A3 Sportback broke cover, the S3 rolls into the frame. It's obvious that Audi would like everyone to pay close attention to what's under the hood, since the first 11 paragraphs of the accompanying press release deal solely with the brand new 2.0-liter TFSI engine. Created with this specific car in mind, it has the same displacement as the previous S3 engine but that's where the commonalities end.

You'll be interested in the output of 300 horsepower and 280 pound-feet – all of that torque available from 1,800 rpm – and the bolt from 0 to 62 miles per hour in 5.1 seconds with the six-speed S-tronic, 5.4 seconds in the six-speed manual.

Other accoutrements just for the S3 include progressive steering and pushbutton launch control, wrapped in a hot hatch that has lost 132 pounds compared to its antecedent.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/21/audi-shows-third-gen-s3/

Hottest hatch in the game. Amazing.

Also, I called this shit four years ago:

The publication has published an editorial by contributor Patrick Michaels which accused the automaker of "giving away rent-a-Volts," saying the model's record-high sales of 2,831 units last month were artificially inflated because about two-thirds of the sales were leased (for as little as $199 a month). Michaels argues that true sales to the general public are closer to about 850 units a month. Further fueling the opinion piece's claims of a government "scam" are recent reports that the U.S. Department of Defense will buy 1,500 Volts. In Michaels' words, "The fact is that no one wants this car."

Halvie

Banned

We'll be lucky to see the 5-door, but fine even if it is sedan only. APR already posted that there is a bigger oem turbo that bolts up. Trying to figure out what it would be...

Hopefully 3rd gen tsi won't be such a prick to get more fuel out of.

AlphaSnake

- That Celica has to be in primer, not a proper Matte finish, it's missing markers so it makes me think it's waiting for paint. If not, that's a horrible job on that car. I'm a little biased here though, considering I went through a "all show" car with my celica, won at Carlisle and even a Best Paint at E-Town. :)

Nah, it's not primer. It's an area car a lot of us have seen. LOL

ascii42

That Audi would be sweet. Sometimes I really wish I had a hatchback or a wagon, hell, even a crossover.

Also, I called this shit four years ago:

So leases don't count as sales anymore? Somebody better alert BMW and Mercedes.

I'm not surprised most of them are leases, particularly with those offers. I wouldn't normally consider leasing a car, but I definitely would for something like the Volt.

I think the Volt is pretty awesome, but I can't install a charging station at home (I rent)
And there's why I (and millions of other people) can't buy any electric car. That right there is as big of an obstacle as anything else, and there's nothing the automakers can do about it.

FStop7

Banned
I think the Volt is pretty awesome, but I can't install a charging station at home (I rent) and I can't access one at work because I'm a contractor and the charging stations are located in the employees only garage.

If not for that I would have gotten one instead of an A3.

ascii42

The Volts biggest problem is that it's a $40,000 EV from GM.

I'd lean toward the $40,000 being the bigger problem than being made by GM. It's not like other EVs are flying out of dealerships either. But being a GM product especially in the post-bankruptcy era certainly doesn't help perception. At the end of the day, a $40k Chevy compact is a tough sell (the tax credit helps, but then it's still $32k). It was a ridiculous idea to think they could move 50,000 this year.

I understand why they wanted it to come out with the Chevy first, but the Cadillac version probaby should have come out first. I'm curious how the narrative would have played out then, whether it would have been better or worse. I don't imagine most taxpayers would want to subsidize other people's Cadillacs.

AlphaSnake

That Audi would be sweet. Sometimes I really wish I had a hatchback or a wagon, hell, even a crossover.

So leases don't count as sales anymore? Somebody better alert BMW and Mercedes.

I'm not surprised most of them are leases, particularly with those offers. I wouldn't normally consider leasing a car, but I definitely would for something like the Volt.

And there's why I (and millions of other people) can't buy any electric car. That right there is as big of an obstacle as anything else, and there's nothing the automakers can do about it.

I think a lot of those Volts aren't leased to people, but rather corporations and fleets.

If you can learn to let go of the stick you will find other ways to get visceral enjoyment from driving and you'll forget stick ever connected you to anything other than a hefty transmission bill every five years. I do not miss it any more than I miss smoking cigarettes.

Wait, what?

Yeah. 17"s don't fit over my brakes since switching again, so drag radials aren't an option anymore. Want to do an awd swap, but the car doesn't make enough power to make the price worth it.

It's not a silly idea at all. What car is it? 17"s don't fit over it? How much power is this FWD car pushing??

Halvie

Banned
It's not a silly idea at all. What car is it? 17"s don't fit over it? How much power is this FWD car pushing??

400-450whp depending on the fuel. Looking for ~500whp on pump, but a hpfp needs to get released first (close to a two year wait at this point).

Yeah need to run 18" wheels to clear my brakes. Not swapping on smaller brakes to go prove I can't drive in a straight line well :D

Yeah, that's true. I remember reading that GE was using Volts for company cars.

Not to uhhh bring politics into this thread, but did anyone else hear that GE was buying them because the "White House" was pressuring them to do so?

Heard that a couple times six months ago, but never again after that.

ascii42

450whp. Looking for ~500whp on pump, but depends on if a hpfp ever gets released (close to a two year wait at this point).

Yeah need to run 18" wheels to clear my brakes. Not swapping on smaller brakes to go prove I can't drive in a straight line well :D

Mother of God.

Not to uhhh bring politics into this thread, but did anyone else hear that GE was buying them because the "White House" was pressuring them to do so?

Heard that a couple times six months ago, but never again after that.

Tough to know what's true with all that nonsense. I generally just don't bother. It doesn't really matter anyway.

Every 5 years, you're looking at 50-65K miles driven. That's about right for a clutch's life on modern day cars.

I'd disagree with that mileage for a clutch's life, but still, for a 5 year payment, it's not too bad in my opinion for a few hours labour. I wouldn't expect to keep a vehicle for 10 years unless I truly loved it.

400-450whp depending on the fuel. Looking for ~500whp on pump, but a hpfp needs to get released first (close to a two year wait at this point).

Good god man, what is it!

Senger

Every 5 years, you're looking at 50-65K miles driven. That's about right for a clutch's life on modern day cars.
It really depends on the driver. The clutch on my 02 wrx is still fine at 110k miles. That's with me learning stick, many autox ,1 rallyx, and a good number of track days. I've had my share of botched (what's that smell?) launches as well.

Halvie

Banned
I'd disagree with that mileage for a clutch's life, but still, for a 5 year payment, it's not too bad in my opinion for a few hours labour. I wouldn't expect to keep a vehicle for 10 years unless I truly loved it.

Good god man, what is it!

a pos gti lol

at the shop getting a tune on the gtx turbo now, so maybe a bit higher once they get a chance to tweak it more in the next couple weeks.

Jealous of the mkv gti guys now. Couple beast builds the last couple weeks. Trap speeds of 134.

AlphaSnake

a pos gti lol

at the shop getting a tune on the gtx turbo now, so maybe a bit higher once they get a chance to tweak it more in the next couple weeks.

Jealous of the mkv gti guys now. Couple beast builds the last couple weeks. Trap speeds of 134.

Heh, did you get a chance to read my little story a page or two ago about a full APR stage-2 2011 GTI? :p

TylerD

I got my Zaino stuff today, 1 day shipping for standard delivery. It is a little thing but I was impressed with how it was packaged.

eJQJtl.jpg

- Z-PC Fusion paint cleaner / swirl remover
- All-In-One - wax and polish
- Z-5 Pro Polish for dark colored cars
- Z-6 gloss enhancer spray
- Z-7 concentrated car wash and wax
- 3-Pack of Blonde Border Free Towels
- 3 Terry Cloth applicators
- 2 Oval trifoam applicators

matmanx1

It really depends on the driver. The clutch on my 02 wrx is still fine at 110k miles. That's with me learning stick, many autox ,1 rallyx, and a good number of track days. I've had my share of botched (what's that smell?) launches as well.

Yeah I've driven nothing but manual transmissions for the last 15 years and I've never had a clutch last me less than 100k miles. Maybe it's the type of cars I've driven or maybe I'm just very careful but my experience is that a clutch should hold up for more than 50-65k miles.

ascii42

Yeah I've driven nothing but manual transmissions for the last 15 years and I've never had a clutch last me less than 100k miles. Maybe it's the type of cars I've driven or maybe I'm just very careful but my experience is that a clutch should hold up for more than 50-65k miles.

Might depend on where you drive as well. A clutch in San Francisco would not make it very long.

Ovid

I think the Volt is pretty awesome, but I can't install a charging station at home (I rent) and I can't access one at work because I'm a contractor and the charging stations are located in the employees only garage.

If not for that I would have gotten one instead of an A3.

Me too. I went to a Chevy dealership and everything but I just couldn't pull the trigger on it.

Halvie

Banned
Heh, did you get a chance to read my little story a page or two ago about a full APR stage-2 2011 GTI? :p

No, I'll go lookf for it now :D

edit: found it.

Motor is holding up fine. At 45k now, and haven't had any issues that a regular gti wouldn't have(shit box intake manifold / water pump - both replace under warranty). He also isn't anywhere close to that power unless he is running a k04 turbo. k04 cars are typically 300-315whp.

Wish I went with dsg. Thing shift so fast.

I got my Zaino stuff today, 1 day shipping for standard delivery. It is a little thing but I was impressed with how it was packaged.

- Z-PC Fusion paint cleaner / swirl remover
- All-In-One - wax and polish
- Z-5 Pro Polish for dark colored cars
- Z-6 gloss enhancer spray
- Z-7 concentrated car wash and wax
- 3-Pack of Blonde Border Free Towels
- 3 Terry Cloth applicators
- 2 Oval trifoam applicators

Do you have an orbital polisher? Look into getting one if not. Makes polishing a lot easier / way better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom