• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Rzez

I don't have one but I was going to borrow a Porter Cable DA from a coworker. Should probably just buy one though.

Makes life much easier. I refuse to use a buffer on clients cars, but I have a DA that I use. Clay bar, DA with a properly selected pad and Wolfgang 3.0 swirl/scratch remover, and then I put on and take of some Wolfgang 3.0 polish by hand. Killer-killer feel and gloss afterwards. The depth shocked me from a polish, and it's even better on dark colors like blacks.

I could always throw on some Pinnacle wax to make it have some extra depth too.

Halvie

Banned
Makes life much easier. I refuse to use a buffer on clients cars, but I have a DA that I use. Clay bar, DA with a properly selected pad and Wolfgang 3.0 swirl/scratch remover, and then I put on and take of some Wolfgang 3.0 polish by hand. Killer-killer feel and gloss afterwards. The depth shocked me from a polish, and it's even better on dark colors like blacks.

I could always throw on some Pinnacle wax to make it have some extra depth too.

fellow autogeeker :D

Halvie

Banned
You know it. I get some good prices off there from dealing with them a while back through a car enthusiast site and contact the same people, plus they know I use it for my side ventures of detailing. :)

Place is great aside from the packing pellets. Hate those things.

ameratsu

So I went and test drove a 1995 Integra Type-R (JDM model) that is for sale locally. Love championship white paint with the 15in white honda wheels. Super fun car to drive. The early JDM version has a curb weight of 2325lbs which is something like 300lbs lighter than the later USDM version. The first Canadian owner installed an aftermarket intake manifold, throttle body, and a comically huge cold air intake. None of things add more than a few whp, but I love how it felt even with <200whp on tap.

Even though I'm not going to buy it, I can really appreciate what Honda made with the ITR, and almost represents something that's been lost today at the affordable end of vehicles through incremental weight gain.

matmanx1

So I went and test drove a 1995 Integra Type-R (JDM model) that is for sale locally. Love championship white paint with the 15in white honda wheels. Super fun car to drive. The early JDM version has a curb weight of 2325lbs which is something like 300lbs lighter than the later USDM version. The first Canadian owner installed an aftermarket intake manifold, throttle body, and a comically huge cold air intake. None of things add more than a few whp, but I love how it felt even with <200whp on tap.

Even though I'm not going to buy it, I can really appreciate what Honda made with the ITR, and almost represents something that's been lost today at the affordable end of vehicles through incremental weight gain.

Completely agree here. A light car today is 2800 lbs and there aren't many that fall in that range that are also affordable. It's one of the reasons the FRS and BRZ are such a welcome addition to the marketplace.

Unfortunately it seems like we have been stuck in a trend where most cars got larger and heavier in the name of safety and convenience features. There are still good, lightweight cars out there but you really have to look to find them and many times pay a premium for them.

To be fair, with CAFE standards, most manufacturers are now focusing on losing weight. Mazda does this brilliantly with their Sky Activ marketing spiel.

I don't like heavy cars at all so I welcome this trend.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Guys so I purchased this today.

http://www.olympicautogroup.com/2001_Mitsubishi_Galant_Farmingdale_NY_160843372.veh

Will pick it up tomorrow, felt very good.

They detailed it a little (not seen in pics), the trunk areas paint is busted but I'll fix that.. I plan to throw a tasteful bodykit if you can call it that and drop it with coil overs on some 18's soon enough.

Hope I made the right choice on a first car to learn from.

The interior is much better looking than the rear area of the vehicle. And front bumper which I plan to replace anyway.

Autocheck score was 60 out of 56-79 in the vehicles age range and had the buyback guarantee so it didn't fail that at least lol. Title is clear but it did have 1 accident back in 2006 (collision with another car) besides that the cars record is clear.

I really like the mileage for price compared to others though..

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Leave that car alone.

Drive it for a bit, and then get rid of it when it's no good or you want to buy something better. Don't rice it out with aftermarket parts - it's not that type of car.

Zapages

what do you guys think of 2013 Sentra and 2013 Altima? I think they both look nice, although the rear of the sentra looks nicer. They come with the new Blind side and rear view technology...

Not only that, the Type-R's are a bastion of what Honda used to be. It's the only really amazing car in their lineup these days.

I still dream the day of Honda going back to their 90's self and creating amazing cars again. These days, we get a weak ass SI, a hybrid CRX and an NSX that may as well have been built by Tesla. Meanwhile their regular lineup is getting squashed by Ford, GM(lol can't believe I said that), and the Korean twins... that's just effin' sad IMO.

I'm currently driving a Mazda 2. I'm getting good mileage out of it, but it's dreadfully boring to drive and it's already having problems (brakes and exhaust noise). I need to get good mileage as I commute almost 100 miles a day.

Have been considering trading it in for a Honda CR-Z, as I can't seem to find another car that is decently fun to drive, has a manual transmission, and can easily pull 40+ mpg on the freeway. Also considering the Fiat 500 Turbo, but it's not out yet.

Anyone have any other suggestions? My budget is 20k and I live in North America.

ascii42

I'm currently driving a Mazda 2. I'm getting good mileage out of it, but it's dreadfully boring to drive and it's already having problems (brakes and exhaust noise). I need to get good mileage as I commute almost 100 miles a day.

Have been considering trading it in for a Honda CR-Z, as I can't seem to find another car that is decently fun to drive, has a manual transmission, and can easily pull 40+ mpg on the freeway. Also considering the Fiat 500 Turbo, but it's not out yet.

Anyone have any other suggestions? My budget is 20k and I live in North America.

That's probably as good of a choice as any. Have you tried the Mazda3 to see if you like it any better than the 2?

Why would you get rid of a car with 18000 miles? Take it to the dealer for them to fix those problems under warranty.

And if saving money is your goal, don't spend $20k on a new car, spend $10k on one with mileage that's not quite as good and pocket the difference for gas money.

That's probably as good of a choice as any. Have you tried the Mazda3 to see if you like it any better than the 2?

I did, and my local dealer has screaming deals on Skyactiv 3 Sedans (less so on the hatches). Normally dislike sedans but can probably overlook it as mileage would be the same. Except for...

Why would you get rid of a car with 18000 miles? Take it to the dealer for them to fix those problems under warranty.

Because if I'm having niggling problems at 18k miles, what's going to happen when I'm out of warranty? Maybe I'm jaded because I got 250k out of my last Toyota.

ascii42

And if saving money is your goal, don't spend $20k on a new car, spend $10k on one with mileage that's not quite as good and pocket the difference for gas money.

Or this. And obviously if saving money is the only goal then the answer is always Geo Metro, but...yeah. I hadn't noticed you had that few miles on it. I'd keep the car at least until the warrantee is up.

I used to drive 60-ish miles a day in high school. Since I was mostly on the highway, the car really didn't matter as far as driving enjoyment went. The comfort and quiet when I had my Caddy was nice though.

What aspect of your commute do you think would be improved by getting a different car?

Because if I'm having niggling problems at 18k miles, what's going to happen when I'm out of warranty? Maybe I'm jaded because I got 250k out of my last Toyota.

It's a newer car that you've been driving a lot, a few issues will naturally crop up so just have the dealer take care of them. I don't think that's an indictment against the potential lasting reliability of the car.

Besides, you just took the first major hit of depreciation, why sell now and eat that cost without getting your money's worth?

And like ascii42 asked, if your commute is 50 miles each way then it's going to be boring no matter what car you drive.

Not worried about depreciation as I bought it for well under invoice, but it brings up another good point that I would be eating the tax and license I paid, which was not a small amount.

The first/last part of my commute is eight miles of two-lane country roads, which I probably shouldn't be worried about taking much over the limit anyway as there are plenty of critters.

While you've all been responding I've been running some numbers. Even assuming I could eke out another 2-3 mpg from a CR-Z, it would take me ~8 years to recoup the total loss between my down and payments I've already made. And that's not counting the higher insurance I'd likely be paying on a two-seater.

(I should/will learn to enjoy what I have)

Conversation with a previous co-worker:

Her: Yeah my last car was a piece of shit, it had all these electrical problems, don't buy BMW's
Me: what year was it?
Her: 1980 something (I cant remember exact year)
Me: oh was it a 3 series or a 5 Series?
Her: It was a convertible
Me: what was the model though?
Her: M something, M3.
Me: what did you end up doing with it?
Her: sold it to a scrap yard for a couple hundred.

pax217

Conversation with a previous co-worker:

Her: Yeah my last car was a piece of shit, it had all these electrical problems, don't buy BMW's
Me: what year was it?
Her: 1980 something (I cant remember exact year)
Me: oh was it a 3 series or a 5 Series?
Her: It was a convertible
Me: what was the model though?
Her: M something, M3.
Me: what did you end up doing with it?
Her: sold it to a scrap yard for a couple hundred.

Unfortunate. :( No doubt the scrap yard knew what they were getting, though. I'm sure it's still somewhere, on some road...

I hate hearing people complain about cars, in general. Sure, I have my biases and likes/dislikes, but no matter what car I own/am driving I can find some kind of source of joy/enlightenment in my driving escapades... Anyone feel the way I do, Car-GAF?

FStop7

Banned
BMW has issued an immediate recall and stop drive order for all 2013 M5/M6es.

Apparently they switched suppliers for the engine oil pump and there's a defect. There's at least one documented engine failure, probably more considering the urgency of the order.

No more M5/M6 cars are being delivered to owners. Production is halted. And all of the MY 2013 cars that are in the hands of owners are being flatbedded to their nearest dealerships. The owners have been told to immediately stop driving their cars.

Nasty PR black eye for BMW.

pax217

BMW has issued an immediate recall and stop drive order for all 2013 M5/M6es.

Apparently they switched suppliers for the engine oil pump and there's a defect. There's at least one documented engine failure, probably more considering the urgency of the order.

No more M5/M6 cars are being delivered to owners. Production is halted. And all of the MY 2013 cars that are in the hands of owners are being flatbedded to their nearest dealerships. The owners have been told to immediately stop driving their cars.

Nasty PR black eye for BMW.

Do you have an article available? I have been considering the F10 as my next sedan.

EDIT: Found it, nevermind.

ascii42

Unfortunate. :( No doubt the scrap yard knew what they were getting, though. I'm sure it's still somewhere, on some road...

I hate hearing people complain about cars, in general. Sure, I have my biases and likes/dislikes, but no matter what car I own/am driving I can find some kind of source of joy/enlightenment in my driving escapades... Anyone feel the way I do, Car-GAF?

Every car I have ever had is a paragon of automotive achievement, because it belongs to me. For a short time in college, that car was a 1992 Geo Metro Convertible. Apart from the lousy three speed automatic, I actually quite liked it.

I always like driving a car I've never driven before. Doesn't really matter what it is. I've gone to the Atlanta Auto Show the last three years. The first year, the only cars available to actually drive were a bunch of GM vehicles and a Kia Sorento. I drove all of them, even things like the Chevy Traverse. Because, why not? It's like a test drive, but without the salesman.

just to add my personal story about how long clutch's last, i had a 1989 mazda b-series truck that made it to 200K miles on original clutch
i have a 2006 scion xb right now at 150k miles and clutch is still grabbing nicely. i live in the l.a. area. it might have something to do with how carefully one drives and how puny your engine is.

....It's like a test drive, but without the salesman.
unrelated kinda, but i also wanted to bring up how i went car shopping and almost bought a car just because the salesman said "heres the keys" and let me test drive the vehicle all by myself, i didn't even show him my license or anything. he just went back into the office to take some calls. so chill.

AlphaSnake

Lord forgive me, for I am about to bust a fat nut:

m1ny048bs7aw.jpg

m1ny048bvpau.jpg

m1ny048bmkar.jpg

m1ny048bokaq.jpg

m1ny049b04at.jpg

m1ny048bi7b2.jpg

m1ny048bjeb3.jpg

I have a feeling they thought of using the twin central pipe design first, realised they were going to stick a V8 in and then came up with another design that couldn't top the twin.

Assuming twin pipes for V6 and quad pipes for V8.

I got my Zaino stuff today, 1 day shipping for standard delivery. It is a little thing but I was impressed with how it was packaged.

eJQJtl.jpg

- Z-PC Fusion paint cleaner / swirl remover
- All-In-One - wax and polish
- Z-5 Pro Polish for dark colored cars
- Z-6 gloss enhancer spray
- Z-7 concentrated car wash and wax
- 3-Pack of Blonde Border Free Towels
- 3 Terry Cloth applicators
- 2 Oval trifoam applicators
How much $$$$

AlphaSnake

I have a feeling they thought of using the twin central pipe design first, realised they were going to stick a V8 in and then came up with another design that couldn't top the twin.

Assuming twin pipes for V6 and quad pipes for V8.

It's odd because both cars have an S-badge on them...so we don't know which one is the F-Type S and which one is the R-S. I think the center mounted exhaust is for the supercharged V8 R-S car, just because it's a more unique and exotic look. Meanwhile the quad-tips are for the standard V6 Supercharged 380HP S car, and the base 340HP Supercharged V6 will get a standard pair of dual exhausts.

N-Bomb

Back with the dyno charts, finally! Went down to the shop for some misc issues that turned out to have more to do with my n00bness to turbocharged cars than any real mechanical issue. As a bonus, Frank adjusted my clutch and made it 100% better! Anyway, here are the charts. Remember that the only real aftermarket piece is a Perrin inlet pipe, and I might have better intercooler y hoses. Oh, also with a GC splitter/duct for the smaller GC intercooler. Tuned for 91 octane. This is at the wheels, so add ~30% for flywheel numbers:

HP / Boost (blue is pre-tune, red is post. Dotted line is boost, solid is HP)
76oBE.png

HP / Torque (blue is pre-tune, red is post. Dotted line is torque, solid is HP)
wytCO.png

I had a 1998 USDM Integra Type R with JDM front conversion and full spoon parts.

Even having driven many sports cars and exotics, It is still one of the best car I have ever driven.

steering a throttle is perfect and precise.

perfect gear ratio.

shifting feels is unmatch...maybe an s2k match it.

its bullet proof, you can drive it to the track, track it and drive it back home without any issues(buffled oil pan is the only thing that will make it really bullet proof)

its FWD perfection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom