• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Bomb

that Jag is so sick.

In other news, render of the Mazda 3 2014. Imo, It's a very nice compact.
2014-mazda-3-5-door-artists-rendering-photo-475722-s-1280x782.jpg

wtf did they do? It looks like a cross between a truck and a dog's face.

pax217

Lord forgive me, for I am about to bust a fat nut:

m1ny048bs7aw.jpg

The rear end looks Fisker-esque, and the front looks like a Ferrari California... Doesn't mean it's a bad match-- I just don't feel it's as original as the new Jaguar styles have been.

Every car I have ever had is a paragon of automotive achievement, because it belongs to me. For a short time in college, that car was a 1992 Geo Metro Convertible. Apart from the lousy three speed automatic, I actually quite liked it.

I always like driving a car I've never driven before. Doesn't really matter what it is. I've gone to the Atlanta Auto Show the last three years. The first year, the only cars available to actually drive were a bunch of GM vehicles and a Kia Sorento. I drove all of them, even things like the Chevy Traverse. Because, why not? It's like a test drive, but without the salesman.

I hear you. I can sit there and complain about how much Hyundai or Kia suck at making cars (subjective, I know), but I still am not going to say anything bad about the experience of driving one. I guess it's the idea that someone used to driving a 7-series is going to complain about how loud, jarring, and uncomfortable the ride from an Exige is, whilst the Exige driver complains about how boring the 7-series is.

ameratsu

@N-Bomb: I've enjoyed seeing the transformation your subaru has gone though. Nice work, you have to be happy with the results.

I had a 1998 USDM Integra Type R with JDM front conversion and full spoon parts.

Even having driven many sports cars and exotics, It is still one of the best car I have ever driven.

steering a throttle is perfect and precise.

perfect gear ratio.

shifting feels is unmatch...maybe an s2k match it.

its bullet proof, you can drive it to the track, track it and drive it back home without any issues(buffled oil pan is the only thing that will make it really bullet proof)

its FWD perfection.

Well you sure are making the not buying part of my post quite a bit harder. Heh. I will say that out of all the cars I've test driven, it was the only one that I really enjoyed. Here's some pics of it.

$(KGrHqV,!okFBLwSdozfBQT9!1YH9g~~48_20.JPG

$(KGrHqV,!pkF!uFlgkw)BQT9EYU7zw~~48_20.JPG

$T2eC16hHJGwE9n)yVTwvBQT9B3!L,!~~48_20.JPG

$T2eC16ZHJHgE9n0yG-0zBQT9D8rpeg~~48_20.JPG

Halvie

Banned
Back with the dyno charts, finally! Went down to the shop for some misc issues that turned out to have more to do with my n00bness to turbocharged cars than any real mechanical issue. As a bonus, Frank adjusted my clutch and made it 100% better! Anyway, here are the charts. Remember that the only real aftermarket piece is a Perrin inlet pipe, and I might have better intercooler y hoses. Oh, also with a GC splitter/duct for the smaller GC intercooler. Tuned for 91 octane. This is at the wheels, so add ~30% for flywheel numbers:

Not bad. Remember to keep in mind a DD almost always reads lower than both mustang and dynojet dynos.

Anything else planned(know I have asked you this before)?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The rear end looks Fisker-esque, and the front looks like a Ferrari California... Doesn't mean it's a bad match-- I just don't feel it's as original as the new Jaguar styles have been.

I think people are missing that a lot of the car's cues are straight out of the E-Type. If the E-Type existed today, it would have evolved into this.

Pecan1

Banned
Has there been a cool convertible made in day the last 10-15 years? Other than a Solar a by Toyota or the Chrysler Sebring

Edit forgot to mention that it needs to seat 4 adults

Shapingo

I guess I worded that poorly. A big cool convertible is what I mean

The Sebring is the Senior Citizens "sport car"
You forgot the VW Cabrio, there is a great convertible for ya.

the 2014 Subaru Forester XT actually gives me a little hope that the next gen WRX will be aggressive looking and not toned down in looks. Wish the XT still had a hood scoop.

2014-Subaru-Forester-leaked-photos-1-623x389.jpg

Well you sure are making the not buying part of my post quite a bit harder. Heh. I will say that out of all the cars I've test driven, it was the only one that I really enjoyed. Here's some pics of it.

Dayam that a beauty.. Still look better that most cars now too

Yeah I kinda regret getting rid of the type R... Even though I replaced it with an NSX...

sca2511

My cousin had a Phoenix Yellow Type R and parked it outside his friends house. When he came back, most of his interior got stolen, including the wheels, I believe.

My cousin had a Phoenix Yellow Type R and parked it outside his friends house. When he came back, most of his interior got stolen, including the wheels, I believe.

That's the one major draw back owning a type R...

Oh and the high insurance cost.

That's the reason I got rid of it... I was so paranoid that it would get stolen.

N-Bomb

Not bad. Remember to keep in mind a DD almost always reads lower than both mustang and dynojet dynos.

Anything else planned(know I have asked you this before)?

Yes. I was actually talking to my tuner about this yesterday. Gonna get my exhaust manifold ported and polished, maybe coated up pipe. Either put a high flow cat into my downpipe to replace the stock, or get a new downpipe with a high flow cat (and get it coated). Possibly upgraded turbo at some point (but I want quicker scroll, more low end rather than high end power), then possibly anything associated with that. I think I'd be happy with ~50-100 more hp. Also probably gonna get the car retuned for 93 octane some time next year. Easy power gains there.

In addition, at some point I'm going to want the suspension re-tuned for my car's weight. Right now it's STi suspension (for a 3300lb car) on a car weighing just over 2900. It's not harsh, but I think it could be a bit more comfortable while still being sharp.

Next year I'm getting the car resprayed red and some minor rust repair. As soon as Pioneer can get their head out of their ass and determine iPhone 5 compatibility I may get one of their head units to replace the cassette player in there, also some (likely Focal or JL Audio) speakers all around to replace stock. Also want to consider some JDM front seats depending on fit/comfort.

Probably more stuff, but this is what stands out right now!

@N-Bomb: I've enjoyed seeing the transformation your subaru has gone though. Nice work, you have to be happy with the results.

$(KGrHqV,!pkF!uFlgkw)BQT9EYU7zw~~48_20.JPG

Thanks dude, this has been a complete awesome experience so far. It's cool to buy a car from the factory, but something else to kind of 'roll your own', you know?

Also I've always thought the JDM Integra was much better looking. That's one sharp example!

aktham

If you're going to get a BMW, you're better off leasing during a promotion. You don't want deal with outrageously expensive repairs.

It's odd because both cars have an S-badge on them...so we don't know which one is the F-Type S and which one is the R-S. I think the center mounted exhaust is for the supercharged V8 R-S car, just because it's a more unique and exotic look. Meanwhile the quad-tips are for the standard V6 Supercharged 380HP S car, and the base 340HP Supercharged V6 will get a standard pair of dual exhausts.

Well Jag currently badge cars S, R and R-S. I think the only Jag to have quad pipes at the moment are the XFR, XKR, XKR-S, all of which are V8s. They could of course break the mould.

F-Type R-S won't be coming for a while given how long the XKR-S took, and currently the XFR-S!

SHOWTIME TOMORROW!

Ovid

If you're going to get a BMW, you're better off leasing during a promotion. You don't want deal with outrageously expensive repairs.
Why do some car companies have such outrageous promotions? Is it just to get the cars off of the lot for the new years stock? Do the dealers lose money on it?

Forsete

I have when the speedometer and RPM-meter is not centred in the dash.

My low IQ mind cant deal with the mindf*ck of not having them there. :/

So this happened

Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo Concept

Oh no... my britches... I've gone and soiled them.

Okay so maybe not quite, but good lord is that ever a step in a fabulous direction (even if the tail lights are a little Dodge Challenger).

Probably one of those deals where you can replace the speedo/tach with navigation. I don't care for it either, especially with a Porsche which has a classic dial setup they should stick with.

n0n44m

surely they have a heads up display in such a car :)

I love that concept, hope it'll make it to production someday

ascii42

So they're willing to lose money on all of those cars?

Possibly, but more likely they are just making less of a profit.

If it gets them repeat customers on future vehicles, servicing and maintenance is also very profitable for dealers, in the UK anyway. It's an investment.

Also this. With leases, they at least have to return the car when the lease is up, so there's a good chance of repeat business.

matmanx1

That Porsche concept looks far better than the current Panamera. And I bet it would sell decently to the exact same customer base that's buying the Panamera now. It's Porsche's best selling car in NA (well, it was anyway, I have no idea about 2013 models now that the new Boxster is out) and when I went and bought my Boxster last week 2 of the salesmen at the dealership had Panamera's as their personal daily drivers. And it was not a Porsche dealership.

After 1 week of ownership of my nearly new 2007 Boxster I can enthusiastically say that it's a fantastic car. It's so well balanced. It's quick (which you expect) and handles near telepathically to steering input (also expected) but has maintained nearly 24mpg through my leadfooted first week that has included plenty of fast rides for friends and family members. And my insurance premium is only $10 more a month over what I was paying for my 2006 Lancer ES, which just boggles my mind.

I've got the car on a 63 month loan but should easily have it paid off in less than 5 years and with my current yearly mileage (less than 10k) and the current mileage on the car (6500) I'm looking at the prospect of being free and clear on it before it hits 60k miles. That's good equity and exciting in a totally nerdy kind of way.

AlphaSnake

Well Jag currently badge cars S, R and R-S. I think the only Jag to have quad pipes at the moment are the XFR, XKR, XKR-S, all of which are V8s. They could of course break the mould.

F-Type R-S won't be coming for a while given how long the XKR-S took, and currently the XFR-S!

SHOWTIME TOMORROW!

They've already announced 3 engines for this car: 340HP (F-Type), 380HP (R), and ~500HP (R-S)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
19-2013-jaguar-f-type-paris.jpg

14-2013-jaguar-f-type-paris.jpg

Put it back in your pants, Alpha.

I hope I'm not too tall for this car :(

EDIT:

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMOGMOMGOMGGGGG

Jag won't confirm it, but we suspect a manual transmission will be made available in a year's time

!!!!!!!!!!

0132_hmhs.gif

0132_hmhs.gif

0132_hmhs.gif

0317_nymq.gif

AlphaSnake

19-2013-jaguar-f-type-paris.jpg

14-2013-jaguar-f-type-paris.jpg

Put it back in your pants, Alpha.

I hope I'm not too tall for this car :(

EDIT:

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMOGMOMGOMGGGGG

!!!!!!!!!!

0132_hmhs.gif

0132_hmhs.gif

0132_hmhs.gif

0317_nymq.gif

8=================================================D~~~~

:D

8==================================================D~~~~

They've already announced 3 engines for this car: 340HP (F-Type), 380HP (R), and ~500HP (R-S)

Except they haven't assigned those badges to each engine variant, have you read any artcles yet? Looks like they're badging the 380 and 500 with S. Which likely means R and R-S are yet to come?

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/26/deep-dive-jaguar-f-type-heralds-return-of-first-new-sports-car/

I LOVE the interior and the orange bits of trim highlighting the most exciting features of the inside (shoulda done the accelerator pedal too! - joke).

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Sporting near-perfect 50/50 weight distribution, the rear-drive F-Type is smaller in person than you think – it's actually two centimeters shorter than the Porsche 911, yet is wider and has a significantly longer wheelbase (nearly 6.7 inches).

Cool, I think I'll be able to fit!

(Before you make any assumptions, I'm tall, not fat.)

Weighing in from as little as 1,597 kg (3,520 pounds), it's also quite light.

That should put the coupe right around 3100-3200lbs :D

UPDATE 3: Our sources confirm that the F-Type will start at $69,000 in the U.S.

Oof. That's a bit higher than the initial "Cayman-fighter" price suggested. Wonder if the Coupe will be cheaper?

AlphaSnake

Except they haven't assigned those badges to each engine variant, have you read any artcles yet? Looks like they're badging the 380 and 500 with S. Which likely means R and R-S are yet to come?

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/26/deep-dive-jaguar-f-type-heralds-return-of-first-new-sports-car/

I LOVE the interior and the orange bits of trim highlighting the most exciting features of the inside (shoulda done the accelerator pedal too! - joke).

That article wasn't live on AB when I made my post yesterday.

AlphaSnake

Cool, I think I'll be able to fit!

(Before you make any assumptions, I'm tall, not fat.)

That should put the coupe right around 3100-3200lbs :D

Oof. That's a bit higher than the initial "Cayman-fighter" price suggested. Wonder if the Coupe will be cheaper?

Yeah, the price is a bit surprising. Normally, convertibles seem to have about a $7K price hike over a coupe (see: Porsche 911, Jaguar XK). So I'm hoping that holds true here, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom