• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rad Agast

So my wr blue BRZ received its first couple of scratches from driving on the highway (fuck stray pebbles). Any ideas what I can do to get rid of them other than a full paint job? One part of me gets pissed off every time I see the tiny scratch (it's deep, I think it removed all the paint) while the other is saying screw it, this gives it "character".

bcl0328

So my wr blue BRZ received its first couple of scratches from driving on the highway (fuck stray pebbles). Any ideas what I can do to get rid of them other than a full paint job? One part of me gets pissed off every time I see the tiny scratch (it's deep, I think it removed all the paint) while the other is saying screw it, this gives it "character".

i use http://www.drcolorchip.com/ with great success.

My Whiteout FRS got hit by a stray pebble too. Dr. Colorchip is your answer. I used a toothpick to cover the area, and I could not be happier with the result. I have used it in the past with amazing results.

I have OCD when it comes to these things, so I went to an Art store and bought some acrylic pearl white paint, and covered it up beautifully. I couldn't wait, as I literally lose sleep over
things like this. I know its sad, but I do have OCD in certain instances.

nitewulf

i don't mind the little scratches and road dust. i bought my 3 series convertible to drive it. recently went to montreal and back from nyc, total of 1000 miles of driving w/o any issues. at one point, my wife programmed a "scenic" route (on 87 South) into the gps which was basically a 2.5 miles of unpaved, rocky path, THROUGH a forest with barely enough width for the car to pass through. we were both scared shitless. there was no network!

made it through, no problems.

sca2511

Golf GTI 7 colors.

Really like this blue, sort of wish my GTI was this blue.

ZxeLf.jpg

also looks like a different red, definitely prefer it (would of been my first choice), unless it's just the lighting.

also liking the wheels. (do I see some sort of lip?)

matmanx1

F Type is looking really, really fine but what's up with that center console? That one piece is totally ruining the look. Does it serve some functional purpose?

DasRaven

That red stripe is beyond cheese at this point.

The GTI's "lipstick" is a heritage feature, so cheese or not it'll be there, just like the tartan cloth seats.

And FYI, the black top is a panoramic sunroof.

I just hope a GTD comes to the states, I may be willing to buy a 3rd Dub at this point.

sca2511

The GTI's "lipstick" is a heritage feature, so cheese or not it'll be there, just like the tartan cloth seats.

And FYI, the black top is a panoramic sunroof.

I just hope a GTD comes to the states, I may be willing to buy a 3rd Dub at this point.
I'm hoping for that as well. Either that or the new R, if it comes with a DSG as an option.

Edit: apparently its still in a concept stage so the red strip running through the head light and the side badges might be removed.

F Type is looking really, really fine but what's up with that center console? That one piece is totally ruining the look. Does it serve some functional purpose?

Apparently it's a grab handle, for the passenger. Sure it's missing the handle on the roof because it's a convertible, but there's already a handle on the door...

Also, build your own F-Type here!

ascii42

And even then the reviewer said that it's possible it was just a lemon transmission that his particular car had. He should revisit the test with another example at some point.

I'm figuring that has to be the case. It's got a Tremec transmission, which have been fine in their other cars. It's also possible that the transmission had already been abused by previous journalists. Motortrend demonstrated in a previous ATS test how hard journalists can be on cars:

2013-Cadillac-ATS-flip.jpg

matmanx1

Don't hate me but I actually like the "M" performance stripe. Especially the black stripe on the white car. To me it says "Performance car - with class! or something similar.

Just spent a lot of money (by my standards) and purchased a new 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2.0T, FWD, but otherwise loaded. May post pics sometime, it's dark now.

My trade-in was the last vehicle I purchased, a 2002 Mazda Tribute back in November 01. Hopefully this new "whip" lasts near as long.

Just spent a lot of money (by my standards) and purchased a new 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2.0T, FWD, but otherwise loaded. May post pics sometime, it's dark now.

My trade-in was the last vehicle I purchased, a 2002 Mazda Tribute back in November 01. Hopefully this new "whip" lasts near as long.

And some photos for nobody that cares

N-Bomb

Would have been better had BMW not slapped the "M" badging on these cars and just called them something else.

They're not called M. It's just a regular 335i.
You don't think BMW announcing the new M3 would've caused a bit of a stir?

No, it's 'M performance' - look like an M without the pricetag or the actual ability! It's pure factory rice. Audi's S-line is the same.

Shame on both of them.

No, it's 'M performance' - look like an M without the pricetag or the actual ability! It's pure factory rice. Audi's S-line is the same.

Shame on both of them.

You have some serious problems with reading comprehension. They're parts. That's all there is to it. Who gives a shit?

TylerD

Just spent a lot of money (by my standards) and purchased a new 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2.0T, FWD, but otherwise loaded. May post picks sometime, it's dark now.

Congratulations on your new ride. It looks really nice and I am sure you got a ton for your money. Hyundai is so good at that.

------------

I am spending the weekend getting my Accord ready for glamour shots and listing it. So far I have...

- engine bay cleaning with gunk foaming spray
- Super thorough dawn ultra wash to strip everything.
- used my nanoskin autoscrub towel to remove contaminates from the paint. Definitely going to clay my 330 as the towel does about 80% of what clay can. It is fast in comparison and took me about 3oz concentrate of the glide solution to do the whole car. Made 24oz spray. The towel will be great for touch ups every 6 months or so. This is the first time I've done a decontamination process to the Accord so tons of stuff was embedded. Plastic bag test before was like sandpaper
- in the process of using the Zaino Z-PC fusion paint cleaner and will finish up with Zaino all in one and sealent tomorrow.

I am pleased with all the products so far and the Zaino border less blonde towels are amazing.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Welcome to "Pay to be a Poseur" or "Rhine Rice". Welcome, BMW, to brand dilution and 'bark without bite'.

Shame on both of them.

You have some serious problems with reading comprehension.

Mescaline is right. You truly do have a problem with reading comprehension. Instead of looking through pictures like you were jerking off to a Playboy mag, you should've read the actual press release and offerings of this catalog and you would've noticed there is nothing rice about the following:

BMW M Performance suspension
BMW M Performance brake system 4F/2R Piston
BMW M Performance Lightweight Alloys
BMW M Performance Power Kit (ECU Upgrade)

You can forego the aesthetic stuff, but pretending like it's all rice? Bark without bite? Please put your foot in your mouth until you read the entire article before shitting on something you're wrong about.

Because having more options to choose from is such a bad thing.

ameratsu

Shame on both of them.

Japanese automakers do this to. Toyota made a TRD edition matrix that had only cosmetic changes. Honda has made A-Spec versions of the TL and RSX that cost significantly more for no extra performance. Something that stands out cosmetically against regular editions is enough for some.

AlphaSnake

Japanese automakers do this to. Toyota made a TRD edition matrix that had only cosmetic changes. Honda has made A-Spec versions of the TL and RSX that cost significantly more for no extra performance. Something that stands out cosmetically against the regular models is all some people want.

Except that's not what BMW is offering.

ameratsu

So how much of an improvement will the suspension and brake upgrades actually provide versus the non m-performance? Lighter wheels and a revised engine tune doesn't sound like much to me. I imagine 4 pot front calipers is actually a pretty significant upgrade though.

AlphaSnake

So how much of an improvement will the suspension and brake upgrades actually provide versus the non m-performance? Lighter wheels and a revised engine tune doesn't sound like much to me. I imagine 4 pot front calipers is actually a pretty significant upgrade though.

Engine tunes make a huge difference on these turbo cars, even if BMW is conservative with them - the torque increases alone are fantastic. All of this stuff is very functional, and that's the bottom line, contrary to N-Bomb's rice quote.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
... we are talking about accessories for a 320HP/332TQ+ BMW -- that is faster than either the E36 or E46 M3 -- are we not?

Shit, if the n35 series came with a LSD standard, it would be a proper M-badge. But we know why they don't.

My Mazdaspeed 3. I learned to drive manual on it but I still feel like I'm not doing it properly, even after 4,000 miles. Every time I start off in first gear there's always that little lurch forward when the clutch grabs. Sometimes I can eliminate it but never consistently and I feel like if I let off the clutch super slow I'll wear it out. Any suggestions?

_DSC4113_zps33eaae0e.jpg

b3b0p

Japanese automakers do this to. Toyota made a TRD edition matrix that had only cosmetic changes. Honda has made A-Spec versions of the TL and RSX that cost significantly more for no extra performance. Something that stands out cosmetically against regular editions is enough for some.

Reminds me of the infamous $30,000 Civic Si I had.

I was younger and dumber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom