• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Mazdaspeed 3. I learned to drive manual on it but I still feel like I'm not doing it properly, even after 4,000 miles. Every time I start off in first gear there's always that little lurch forward when the clutch grabs. Sometimes I can eliminate it but never consistently and I feel like if I let off the clutch super slow I'll wear it out. Any suggestions?

_DSC4113_zps33eaae0e.jpg

I don't wanna sound like a dick but the MS3 is the wrong car to learn how to drive stick. You're causing a lot of clutch wear by that lurching you're talking about, best thing I can suggest is to find another car with and practice on that one with before the MS3. I say this because from my experience, the MS3's clutch is practically an on/off switch, the catch point is practically .2 inches away from the firewall thus isn't really beginner friendly.

But if you can't practice in another car, then I suggest figuring out where the catch point is first with your clutch. As I said, most MS3's, if not all them have on/off switches so go to an empty parking/street/whatever, drop it in 1st gear then very very slowly let go of the clutch until you feel its about to stall. Once you can figure that out, start applying gas at the same point, then you should be good to go.

Lastly, just keep at it. Most of us who's driven stick for a long time can still fnck up once in a while... hell, I stalled my Miata this weekend during a practice run in autocross. That was probably one of the worst moments of my life lol.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
My Mazdaspeed 3. I learned to drive manual on it but I still feel like I'm not doing it properly, even after 4,000 miles. Every time I start off in first gear there's always that little lurch forward when the clutch grabs. Sometimes I can eliminate it but never consistently and I feel like if I let off the clutch super slow I'll wear it out. Any suggestions?

_DSC4113_zps33eaae0e.jpg

Keep driving. I learned on the same transmission in my Speed6 and it took me a good 2+ years.

Also, change your transmission fluid. A good aftermarket one improves it a ton.

Thanks guys, and don't worry about sounding like a dick. I'm not entirely sure if I should call it a "lurch", though. It's a little bit weird... I'll drive a little more and see if I can figure out exactly what I'm doing and what's happening with the car.

paskowitz

Thanks guys, and don't worry about sounding like a dick. I'm not entirely sure if I should call it a "lurch", though. It's a little bit weird... I'll drive a little more and see if I can figure out exactly what I'm doing and what's happening with the car.

At least you didn't "learn" on a Logitech G25, thinking that is the real thing... I had a lot of work to do after that.

Also, change your transmission fluid. A good aftermarket one improves it a ton.

This. I don't know what MS3 dudes would suggest but the folks over at any Miata forum claim that the Ford Motorcraft Synthetic is a tranny elixir.

At least you didn't "learn" on a Logitech G25, thinking that is the real thing... I had a lot of work to do after that.

Lol, try the reverse. I've pretty much given up on learning how to drive stick on a G27 and just use the paddles now coz my brain automatically assumes it's a real clutch and not a video game haha.

matmanx1

_DSC4113_zps33eaae0e.jpg

Nice looking 3! And as everyone else has said the best thing you can do is keep practicing. 4k miles really isn't all that much in the scheme of things. I haven't driven the 3 but it sounds like it's not the easiest clutch to learn with and that just means more practice for you.

The upside is once you've gotten good in your 3 you can probably be good in many other cars after a very short adjustment period. Even now I am shocked at how much smoother I can be with the clutch engagement on my Boxster over my old Lancer. As it happens, the Lancer wasn't an easy clutch to deal with either!

Definitely don't get discouraged though. I hear the Speed3 is a hot ride so the payoff is most certainly worth it.

N-Bomb

Mescaline is right. You truly do have a problem with reading comprehension. Instead of looking through pictures like you were jerking off to a Playboy mag, you should've read the actual press release and offerings of this catalog and you would've noticed there is nothing rice about the following:

BMW M Performance suspension
BMW M Performance brake system 4F/2R Piston
BMW M Performance Lightweight Alloys
BMW M Performance Power Kit (ECU Upgrade)

You can forego the aesthetic stuff, but pretending like it's all rice? Bark without bite? Please put your foot in your mouth until you read the entire article before shitting on something you're wrong about.

Because having more options to choose from is such a bad thing.

Yes, pure performance parts are fine, but 'more options'? Really? There hasn't been an aftermarket for BMW till just now? The ONLY benefit I can see from this is factory warranty.

Japanese automakers do this to. Toyota made a TRD edition matrix that had only cosmetic changes. Honda has made A-Spec versions of the TL and RSX that cost significantly more for no extra performance. Something that stands out cosmetically against regular editions is enough for some.

Yes, this is completely true, and they're no better. Toyota hardly has the same cachet that BMW or M does, though.

So how much of an improvement will the suspension and brake upgrades actually provide versus the non m-performance? Lighter wheels and a revised engine tune doesn't sound like much to me. I imagine 4 pot front calipers is actually a pretty significant upgrade though.

Improvement how? The suspension will arguably improve cornering (which no one in the target market will take advantage of) at the expense of making the ride worse. The lighter wheels and ECU DLC will arguably have the most benefit with the least downsides.

The brakes won't do jack (except increase unsprung weight) unless you track the car, which, again, no one in the target market will do. Having Brembos on my car, I can honestly say that at some point in the future I might consider swapping them out for the smaller 4pot/2pots.

TylerD

Listed my Accord on Craigslist at 6:30 last night. Received 8 responses and the first guy that came to look at it agreed to buy it at my full asking price.

Going to the bank at 3 to do the deal.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

_DSC4113_zps33eaae0e.jpg

Holy shit that car looks like it's on something.

Happy as fuck

Smokey

So I finally got some new tires for my 335i convert to replace the run flats...Michelin Pilot Super Sport XL

yay? nay?

Also thinking of trading in my 335i... What would you guys recommend < 55k?

TylerD

Grats! Hope it goes through successfully.

It did. Listed and then cash money in my hands 21 hrs later. The guy that bought it sold his Highlander today and did his deal about 30 mins before I got to the bank.

There was another guy that was going to drive 4 hrs to get it if my first deal fell through.

I am amazed that it is already done. Feels good man.

N-Bomb

It did. Listed and then cash money in my hands 21 hrs later. The guy that bought it sold his Highlander today and did his deal about 30 mins before I got to the bank.

There was another guy that was going to drive 4 hrs to get it if my first deal fell through.

I am amazed that it is already done. Feels good man.

Congrats. Took me like 2 months to sell my Celica. :\

TylerD

I just saw on twitter that Chris Harris posted a video on DRIVE about the 918 Spyder. I know what I'm doing when I get home.

I just saw on twitter that Chris Harris posted a video on DRIVE about the 918 Spyder. I know what I'm doing when I get home.

I'm probably late to the party, but I was pretty much losing my mind on Monday while reading Autoblog's article on the 918.

7'14 around the 'ring in a prototype.
78 MPG Highway
200+ MPH
2.9 0-60

Greatest car of all time? Greatest car of all time. I can't wait to see it in all black. Hnnnnng.

matmanx1

I'm probably late to the party, but I was pretty much losing my mind on Monday while reading Autoblog's article on the 918.

78 MPG Highway
200+ MPH
2.9 0-60

Greatest car of all time? Greatest car of all time. I can't wait to see it in all black. Hnnnnng.

And they are still only making 918 of them, right? A true dream car, indeed.

matmanx1

http://www.jaguarusa.com/models/f-type/

Real talk. Boxster or F-Type, which one?

I'm leaning towards the Jaaaaaaaaaag, myself.

The Jag is great looking but I've heard nothing but positive things about the new 981 Boxsters. I'd be interested to hear your impressions if you drive them both, that's for sure. My 987 Boxster is a fantastic sports car but supposedly the new ones are a huge upgrade and that boggles my mind a little bit.

J-Rzez

I was looking into buying something new, but finally just decided that there's many of new models on the horizon. New WRX, Evo, Mustang, Camaro, Vette, whatever it is Toyota is hiding. Hopefully I'll be able to decide after next years NYIAS... : /

78 MPG Highway
200+ MPH
2.9 0-60

those MPG numbers are not really reliable because they are doing some fuzzy math to factor the electric charge into the MPG rating. there's no way a 4.6 liter v8 is getting anywhere near 78 mpg legit.

The Jag is great looking but I've heard nothing but positive things about the new 981 Boxsters. I'd be interested to hear your impressions if you drive them both, that's for sure. My 987 Boxster is a fantastic sports car but supposedly the new ones are a huge upgrade and that boggles my mind a little bit.

I'm a little concerned that the F-Type is going to have some teething problems, it's brand new car afterall... I also read somewhere it's going to use the current Jag infotainment system, won't be using that then. If I could afford it next year.

^ They got the proportions so wrong on that... You know how kids draw cars from a side profile perspective, they're symmetrical and you can't tell the front from the rear...? Yeah.

This. I don't know what MS3 dudes would suggest but the folks over at any Miata forum claim that the Ford Motorcraft Synthetic is a tranny elixir.

depends on the car, do some research, I have Readline MT-90 in my MR2, which is touted the best for the E153, and Subaru guys will tell you a Cocktail of syncromesh is the best for Subarus

reilo

depends on the car, do some research, I have Readline MT-90 in my MR2, which is touted the best for the E153, and Subaru guys will tell you a Cocktail of syncromesh is the best for Subarus

Redline MT-90 is what I have in my Speed6 -- which has the same transmission as the Speed3.

Ovid

When will car companies understand that people want hybrids and electric cars to LOOK LIKE NORMAL CARS! The hybrid or electric badge and maybe some blue or green accents are enough. I am looking at you Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.
You didn't get the memo? It's suppose to be futuristic :p

reilo

Come to think of it, I can't recall any MazdaSpeed car being an automatic, even as an option. More driver oriented performance brand compared to BMW M :)

To be fair, if Mazda had a great dual-clutch sequential paddle-shift tranny that was affordable, they would offer it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom