• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Poor man's BMW. They put a lot of emphasis on driving dynamics which is why I like them.

I maintain that if Mazda released a MazdaSpeed6 Coupe, they should make it a poor man's Audi S5 or BMW 650xi.

Outside of the Genesis Coupe, I can't think of another car in that segment off the top of my head. It's ripe for the picking.

ascii42

When will car companies understand that people want hybrids and electric cars to LOOK LIKE NORMAL CARS! The hybrid or electric badge and maybe some blue or green accents are enough. I am looking at you Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.

I'm not sure that's necessarily true for everyone. Part of the appeal of the Prius for many owners is that it is immediately recognizable, so everyone knows you are driving a hybrid.

To be fair, if Mazda had a great dual-clutch sequential paddle-shift tranny that was affordable, they would offer it.

You might be able to get your wish. There's rumors that Mazda might steal and Skyactiv-ize the DCT from the Alfa 4C and drop it in the next Miata in replacement for the auto tranny and as a way for them to offer OEM tranny's to the spec Miata series and the race car companies wanting it.

I guess we'll have to wait whenever they announce the next Miata though, it was rumored to surface during Paris but now rumors point to Tokyo instead.

paskowitz

I'm not sure that's necessarily true for everyone. Part of the appeal of the Prius for many owners is that it is immediately recognizable, so everyone knows you are driving a hybrid.

Yeah but, (this is coming from someone who hates the Prius) the Prius is not hideous. In fact, I don't mind the look of the new one. You could argue it is a fashion statement... but the words fashion and Honda/Hyundai do not exactly go together.

To me this is worse than the Nissan Juke. At least the Juke, knows what it is. "I am ugly, spunky, and unique and if you don't like that then f*** off." This Accord hybrid has an identity crisis. "What am I? Am I edgy or just plain? Maybe I should try both? Will anyone look at me? I am different. Please look at me?"

ascii42

Yeah but, (this is coming from someone who hates the Prius) the Prius is not hideous. In fact, I don't mind the look of the new one. You could argue it is a fashion statement... but the words fashion and Honda/Hyundai do not exactly go together.

To me this is worse than the Nissan Juke. At least the Juke, knows what it is. "I am ugly, spunky, and unique and if you don't like that then f*** off." This Accord hybrid has an identity crisis. "What am I? Am I edgy or just plain? Maybe I should try both? Will anyone look at me? I am different. Please look at me?"

Agreed, but maybe it'll look better in darker colors. At least the front will blend in better.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
2014-honda-accord-phev-fd.jpg

wtf

The all new Honda Kia-Suzuki. Brought to you by the people who designed the award winning Totoya Nissan-Subaru.

reilo

You might be able to get your wish. There's rumors that Mazda might steal and Skyactiv-ize the DCT from the Alfa 4C and drop it in the next Miata in replacement for the auto tranny and as a way for them to offer OEM tranny's to the spec Miata series and the race car companies wanting it.

I guess we'll have to wait whenever they announce the next Miata though, it was rumored to surface during Paris but now rumors point to Tokyo instead.

An auto isn't my wish at all! I was just posturing as to why they've only been manual-only on the speeds for now.

matmanx1

The all new Honda Kia-Suzuki. Brought to you by the people who designed the award winning Totoya Nissan-Subaru.

That's a Honda?? BLECH! I just glanced at it and thought it was a Kia something or other. Is Honda ever going to make good looking cars again? Or a good sports car? You would think a company that has the Integra Type R, NSX and S2000 in it's bloodline could have something pretty fantastic on the market right now.

Smokey

The F30 335i with sports suspension, sports line trim and harman kardon speaker system.

i cant tell if im being trolled or if you're being serious

i guess that means it's closer to a troll?!

ill bite..there was a really slick looking f30 black with the m sport package at the dealership. i'm not even sure id trade mine in, but it is a slight possibility if things align!

matmanx1

ill bite..there was a really slick looking f30 black with the m sport package at the dealership. i'm not even sure id trade mine in, but it is a slight possibility if things align!

I liked the suggestion, troll or not. If I had ordered a 1 series BMW instead of going with the Boxster I would have gotten it with the M Sports Package and the Harman Kardon sound system. The 3 series is an even better car so you should definitely give it a drive.

haha no, I am not trolling you at all! I have an F30 and I love it to death.

Also, if you can, do get the M Performance Suspension. It makes the car feel so much better. It's hard as all hell.

reilo

Apparently, Audi believes that the performance coupe market is reaching the point of saturation, with less room than ever for the concept that the car guy world seemed to excited to see.

That there will not be a production version of the Quattro Concept may not stop Audi from using the moniker to name a compact crossover, however. It would not be as tall as a normal CUV, rather Car predicts that it could take the form of a 2-door crossover, à la the Range Rover Evoque Coupe. Possibly to be named "Q-Coupe," potential motivation could be a five-cylinder turbo, sending power through an S-tronic dual-clutch gearbox to the eponymous Quattro all-wheel-drive system.

FUCK THAT SHIT

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
That's a Honda?? BLECH! I just glanced at it and thought it was a Kia something or other. Is Honda ever going to make good looking cars again? Or a good sports car? You would think a company that has the Integra Type R, NSX and S2000 in it's bloodline could have something pretty fantastic on the market right now.

I'm certain the Maxima Accord will be a fine challenger for the Camry Malibu.

ascii42

I went to the dealership to test out the Cadillac ATS. I wound up driving the 2.5L I-4 and the V6. I'm used to my Malibu's 169 hp 4 cylinder engine, so the Caddy's 202 hp engine was fine to me power-wise, but the V6 seemed more fitting of the car in terms of smoothness and power delivery. They didn't have a 2L Turbo available, which is unfortunate. The biggest thing I learned was that GM has finally made a really good 6 speed automatic. Paddle shifters would have been nice, but I think you need to go to higher trim levels. Both cars had the typical thing where you move the shifter over and push up or down. But I probably wouldn't mess with that much anyway. The transmission seemed to do fine on its own, and shifted much smoother than the 6 speed auto in my Malibu.

The 2.5L had the black interior and with carbon fiber inserts and red leather seats. I actually kind of liked the red, but I'm not sure about the carbon fiber. The V6 had a two-tone black/platinum with wood inserts, that was more to my liking. I'm glad Cadillac is back to using real wood in their cars. I've been liking the way Cadillac styles interiors recently, starting with the current CTS.

CUE, Cadillac's touchscreen "infotainment system," seemed pretty cool, but was a little sluggish in some cases. Not as bad as initial videos seemed to suggest, but it could probably use some work here and there. Fortunately, it can probably be updated, as it's just software.

Overall, it seems like Cadillac's finally managed to pull off a good small sedan. The only real problems I would say are the small trunk and perhaps the back seat. The back seat wasn't inordinately small, though, and certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker. It is a compact car, after all. The trunk, however, is tiny, at 10.2 cubic feet. The seats at least can fold down, but still. It almost certainly won't happen, but a wagon version would be great.

I'd say I thought it handled well, but I don't really have a good basis for comparison. As part of my excuse for why I wouldn't buy the car tonight, I told them I also wanted to drive the 328i and A4. While I certainly wouldn't buy the car without testing those first, I'm not sure I'm actually going to. The main thing is I really don't want to buy a car this year, and I also really don't feel like dealing with salespeople two more times.

coldfoot

Banned
Calendar year Total production (X6M)
2008 26,580
2009 41,667
2010 46,404

Yeah, you want a dog in that race, trust me.

Are you sure that's just for the M version and not all X6's?
Edit: I checked the link from the Wikipedia page, it is for all X6's not just M which would be ridiculous.

N-Bomb

So, just to say... one of the things I really like about this design is that it's generally free of extraneous 'character lines'. It would be nice if they got rid of that one that's there, but maybe too much to hope for.

The rear end is quite nice, the front... could use a bit of work. I still don't like the C-pillar much, but.

I guess we'll see what happens.

So, just to say... one of the things I really like about this design is that it's generally free of extraneous 'character lines'. It would be nice if they got rid of that one that's there, but maybe too much to hope for.

The rear end is quite nice, the front... could use a bit of work. I still don't like the C-pillar much, but.

I guess we'll see what happens.

It's a concept. You know how it is. It won't look anything like that unless you're squinting. ... or japanese. God knows they're squinters.

robox

^ dude, you need to check yourself before you wreck yourself.

anyhoo, i just learn buy-in price for 911's are pretty attainable. 930 ~ 993 can be had for around 20k. how are they for maintenance costs though? at the intersection of old, german and strung out sports car?

cajunator

Banned
Oh my god. ATS is reviving the 2500 GT.
One of my favorite classic cars.
Such a beautiful and timeless design.
Cant wait to see the modern version.

reilo

The 4.0-liter S65 V8 found in the E90/E92 M3 developed 295 lb-ft, putting the new engine's torque in the 395 lb-ft neighborhood. We can live with that.

An equally interesting development regards the proposed weight of the new Ultimate Driving Machine. Apparently BMW is targeting the curb weight of the E46 M3. That older-generation Bimmer clocked in at about 3,400 pounds, while the E90/E92 M3 had grown to over 3,700 pounds. The 300-pound weight savings should come as welcome news to M3 purists, critical of the progressive weight gains from generation to generation.

hnnng

Didn't know this thread existed! :D

So I went all out and placed an order for BRZ in September. Shit is taking 4 months! Hopefully I receive it by Christmas... :/

Worth the wait. I waited for ever for my FRS, but got it launch day. I have never in my 36 years on earth enjoyed driving so much.

coldfoot

Banned
Oh my god. ATS is reviving the 2500 GT.
One of my favorite classic cars.
Such a beautiful and timeless design.
Cant wait to see the modern version.
ATS seems to be a real fun car to drive. If only it looked good and did not take the taillights from a land barge.

ascii42

ATS seems to be a real fun car to drive. If only it looked good and did not take the taillights from a land barge.

I believe he was talking about the company ATS, which made the 2500 GT:
800px-ATS_2500-GT_Front-view.JPG

I like most of the design of the Cadillac ATS, but there are certain things that bug me. The rear end in particular is strange to me. The taillights are fine to me though, that's a Cadillac trademark. I like how they evolved the grille, but the surround is too think. I also think the proportions of the CTS work better with Cadillac's design language. I'm interested in seeing how the next generation CTS turns out.

2013-cadillac-ats-026.jpg

It's the same with the BMW 3-series. I'm not in love with that design either, but it's nothing that would dissuade me from wanting to own the car. I spend much more time looking at the interior anyway.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
At the age of 24, I finally got my license on September 7th. I bought a new 2012 Prius (in full) on Saturday. It stayed at the dealership until Wednesday night (had to get some options installed that turned it from a Prius 2 into a Prius 4+ for a lower price than the Prius 4), at which point it was delivered to me at home by the dealership.

Last night (thursday night) at around 10:00, since I'm still not quite used to the feel of the prius on the road, and I'm still nervous about driving, especially in high-traffic conditions (andp robably always will be), I decided to go for a little joy ride. I drove ~22.4 miles in a roughly 4 mile by 6 mile rectangular path, attempting to keep the car in EV-mode as much as possible (that's electric-only mode) to gauge the actual fuel economy.

Toyota's reported non-highway fuel economy for the Prius: 49 MPG
My expeirmental result: 49.6 MPG.

Smokey

What a difference the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are over the POS OEM runflats. Immediate difference. The road noise is much less and the ride is much better. I looked up reviews on those Bridgestone RFs and BMW should be ashamed.

I don't get what's happening. By that I mean that I get what happened but the driver with dash cam is holding a paper that says something in regards to GT-R. Were they are driving a GTR and one of his buddies ended up fucking shit up?

JPwz8.png

The guy filming is not driving since it is a LHD version. Also, it appears to some sort of Road Rally thing where car clubs or groups get together to drive places. Usually you try to match a certain time or average speed but apparently this clown can't read roadsigns and didn't see the roundabout coming up.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I don't get what's happening. By that I mean that I get what happened but the driver with dash cam is holding a paper that says something in regards to GT-R. Were they are driving a GTR and one of his buddies ended up fucking shit up?

JPwz8.png

Yes, the camera car is also a GT-R. You can tell by the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom