• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viperbah

Mclaren Special Operations just unveiled some cosmetic choices for the MP4-12C, including an unpainted carbon hood and a revised front bumper that I really like.

i3pMjW2UUtssy.jpg

Nice, do you have a MP4-12C ?

The mustang is similar in profile but that's more an effect of FR coupes having somewhat constrained proportions and both the FRS and Mustang taking inspirations from the same sources.

Really, from the A-pillar back they're strikingly similar in profile, though the Mustang is more elongated.

Aguirre

Met a friend for lunch today, and on my way back to work my car died. :-/

It was jer..jerk...jerrrrrk...jerking as I drove, and so I pulled over into a parking lot. Turned it off. Checked the engine (cause, you know, I'm a guy so that's obviously the first thing I do). Make sure my battery is connected right. Check the belts. Go to start my car - nothing. No gauges. No sound. Nothing. I'm about to call AAA for a tow - but shoot my boss an email real quick (which he was cool about). Start it one more time - starts up fine. No issues.

But with nearly 100,000 miles, no warranty, a dent in my trunk, my heat and defrost no longer working, my CV joints going... I just was ready to stop worrying about it. I got back to work around 1:30, and asked my boss if I could PTO the remainder of the day, which wasn't a problem.

I hit two Ford dealerships - the new Fusion is what I had in mind. Yes, I'm kinda young looking - but I was wearing nice clothes and a nice watch/shoes driving an okay car - you'd think SOMEONE would come help me. But even when I went inside, the three employees just sat around and talked to each other while calling someone to help me. Yeah, screw that. I left. Never even got a chance to test drive the Fusion.

Hit three Chevy dealerships. I want a Camaro SS really bad - but I'm not quite prepared for that kind of payment. I could swing it if I really wanted - but there go the fun video games and eating out. It'd kill my budget, and so I decided against it. The Malibu is alright - but honestly, if I were to get the Malibu, I'd rather get the Fusion. The Cruz is WAY too small for me - I'm 6'2 and 250 lbs with size 16 shoes. I need some space (but would make an exception for the Camaro or Challenger ;p )

Hit Toyota - nothing exciting.

Hit Nissan - like the Maxima, but even used the things were in the high 20s low 30s. Yikes. New were hitting $40+K sticker. Had no idea those were that expensive. On a side note, though, my younger sister bought a 2011 Sentra last year, and it's reliable as heck it seems. It's perfect for her - nice little car she's got.

Ended up at Carmax. Figured I'd look. A dark forest green, 2011 Jeep Liberty Limited caught my eye. Pretty much every option checked off - leather, heated and memory seats, Bluetooth, XM, upgraded Infinity sound, etc - except for 4WD and sunroof. Drove nice. Was the nicest one they had on the lot. Went in, they gave me a great interest rate (I should assumed/hoped for good as I have very worthy credit, but knew sometimes they rob you in this department) but I was happy. My trade in value was decent, too, considering the issues. Ended up being able to work in a 7yr, 150,000 mile warranty plus GAP insurance into the payment I was hoping to have each month. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having that peace of mind. Also, called up Geico and they said my insurance payment will actually be less?! The heck. I triple checked, and they said that happens sometimes. So I've got great, full coverage with the smallest deductible they offer. Again, I appreciate the peace of mind. Furthermore, didn't drop a cent today, my tax/tags/etc are covered, and my first payment isn't until mid December.

Drove it all around town tonight to check it out - really love it. A nice change of pace from my old sedan. I'll take some more pics after I get a chance to detail it, but I'm extremely happy. Went from not thinking about it at all this morning, to a a problem at 1. Off work at 1:30. New keys in my hand by 6pm. Fast day!

8137173972_642caa6b42_c.jpg

8137170763_0896c5c847_c.jpg
nice pick up!

so cars basically go for 100k now before getting a ton of problems and leaving you to ultimately scrap 'em?

jeez. my land cruiser hit 750k just at the start of spring but i just went and retired her for the winter because salt kills her

SpecX

Met a friend for lunch today, and on my way back to work my car died. :-/

It was jer..jerk...jerrrrrk...jerking as I drove, and so I pulled over into a parking lot. Turned it off. Checked the engine (cause, you know, I'm a guy so that's obviously the first thing I do). Make sure my battery is connected right. Check the belts. Go to start my car - nothing. No gauges. No sound. Nothing. I'm about to call AAA for a tow - but shoot my boss an email real quick (which he was cool about). Start it one more time - starts up fine. No issues.

But with nearly 100,000 miles, no warranty, a dent in my trunk, my heat and defrost no longer working, my CV joints going... I just was ready to stop worrying about it. I got back to work around 1:30, and asked my boss if I could PTO the remainder of the day, which wasn't a problem.

I hit two Ford dealerships - the new Fusion is what I had in mind. Yes, I'm kinda young looking - but I was wearing nice clothes and a nice watch/shoes driving an okay car - you'd think SOMEONE would come help me. But even when I went inside, the three employees just sat around and talked to each other while calling someone to help me. Yeah, screw that. I left. Never even got a chance to test drive the Fusion.

Hit three Chevy dealerships. I want a Camaro SS really bad - but I'm not quite prepared for that kind of payment. I could swing it if I really wanted - but there go the fun video games and eating out. It'd kill my budget, and so I decided against it. The Malibu is alright - but honestly, if I were to get the Malibu, I'd rather get the Fusion. The Cruz is WAY too small for me - I'm 6'2 and 250 lbs with size 16 shoes. I need some space (but would make an exception for the Camaro or Challenger ;p )

Hit Toyota - nothing exciting.

Hit Nissan - like the Maxima, but even used the things were in the high 20s low 30s. Yikes. New were hitting $40+K sticker. Had no idea those were that expensive. On a side note, though, my younger sister bought a 2011 Sentra last year, and it's reliable as heck it seems. It's perfect for her - nice little car she's got.

Ended up at Carmax. Figured I'd look. A dark forest green, 2011 Jeep Liberty Limited caught my eye. Pretty much every option checked off - leather, heated and memory seats, Bluetooth, XM, upgraded Infinity sound, etc - except for 4WD and sunroof. Drove nice. Was the nicest one they had on the lot. Went in, they gave me a great interest rate (I should assumed/hoped for good as I have very worthy credit, but knew sometimes they rob you in this department) but I was happy. My trade in value was decent, too, considering the issues. Ended up being able to work in a 7yr, 150,000 mile warranty plus GAP insurance into the payment I was hoping to have each month. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having that peace of mind. Also, called up Geico and they said my insurance payment will actually be less?! The heck. I triple checked, and they said that happens sometimes. So I've got great, full coverage with the smallest deductible they offer. Again, I appreciate the peace of mind. Furthermore, didn't drop a cent today, my tax/tags/etc are covered, and my first payment isn't until mid December.

Drove it all around town tonight to check it out - really love it. A nice change of pace from my old sedan. I'll take some more pics after I get a chance to detail it, but I'm extremely happy. Went from not thinking about it at all this morning, to a a problem at 1. Off work at 1:30. New keys in my hand by 6pm. Fast day!

8137173972_642caa6b42_c.jpg

8137170763_0896c5c847_c.jpg

Congrats on the new ride. Did you get the 3.7L or the 4.0L? My wife's sister has a Nitro which is basically the same thing as this and when I got to drive it, the transmission connected to the 3.7L was awful. They say the 4.0L has the 5 speed which gives it better fuel economy and smoother shifting points.

what's the best MPG on a SUV less then 30k? The weather has me thinking i need something slightly taller.

New? Mazda CX-5. 26/35 MPG.

The V6 is good but (I'm biased, I admit) the Porsche flat 6's sound even better IMO. That V8 though.... I think I caught a little bit of drool coming out of the corner of my mouth when I heard it. That thing sounds fantastic!

Yeah, I grinned like an idiot at the V8 sound.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Got my Jaguar out of the garage. Thankfully no water entered the garage. But boy do I have a crazy story about how I recovered it, since all of Long Island has absolutely no power - the garage remote was useless. Hell, entering Long Island was like entering a ghost town - it was pitch black absolutely everywhere. Traffic lights were out, lights, the streets were dark so it was hard to see trees on the ground.

I got to my office building, I tried to pry the gate up, when I heard someone from the other side asking me what am I trying to do. I thought someone was trapped, turns out it was the guy from the 2nd floor trying to get his A6 out looking for some sort of emergency latch to unlock the garage door. No such thing. I able to go inside the garage from the building door and make sure my baby was safe - she was. But what were the chances of somebody being there at the exact same time as me also trying to get his car out? What a coincidence.

We needed to get our cars out of there, because the power would not be coming back on for many days. So we noticed the box that houses the pulley and motor assembly. The guy started toying around with it and started cranking the pulley - the door began to rise but very incrementally. So we took turns for about 30 minutes rotating this pulley, cranking up this massive steel gate that was like 30 feet wide, and 10 feet tall.

Finally we were able to get both his A6 and my Jag out, escaping into the night.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
The mustang is similar in profile but that's more an effect of FR coupes having somewhat constrained proportions and both the FRS and Mustang taking inspirations from the same sources.

Really, from the A-pillar back they're strikingly similar in profile, though the Mustang is more elongated.

yeah yeah we all know the mustang is based off of that concept shows off like last year in Beijing or whatever it looks dang near the same, was rumored to be the design for the next gen mustang, and lo and behold this render looks like that damn car. Long before the scion / subaru , how long ago did they draw up that concept if they had one to show last year and have renders possible something this year for the NAIAS?? sheesh

2011_ford_evo_concept_wzoct.jpg

yeah yeah we all know the mustang is based off of that concept shows off like last year in Beijing or whatever it looks dang near the same, was rumored to be the design for the next gen mustang, and lo and behold this render looks like that damn car. Long before the scion / subaru , how long ago did they draw up that concept if they had one to show last year and have renders possible something this year for the NAIAS?? sheesh

Which is probably why I didn't say the mustang was ripping off the Subion.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah the new 3 series is awesome... I would've gotten us the 320d efficient dynamics version if this Peugeot wasn't so fiscally attractive due to stupid Dutch laws (because it's a hybrid, but the BMW is faster despite having less total power and has much better highway MPG)

and the only fields of cars I've seen around here are used ones ;) If I look for 2012 3 series on some French used car sites there are some dealers that do have cars with 0 mileage listed, so you might want to check that out once you've moved. Most results seem to be test-drive cars though

Edit: and if you go for a Volkswagen diesel again don't choose any of the 1.6 engines, because those are horribly slow and trying to drive somewhat fast in them will result in terrible MPG. Also there's always Skoda and Seat, which are basically rebadged Audi/VW models (or at least their platform + engines and transmissions) and thus much more affordable
Man, I gotta say, after looking through all of the available European options the selection is absolutely awesome. In both new and used, the types of cars I'm looking for with the right options package will be easy to get.

In Cincinnati, OH (where I am now) finding a BMW with a manual transmission and the right set of options (premium sound, nav, etc) was nearly impossible. Last year, I looked at a 5 series but was never able to find one with the right feature set AND when I asked about ordering I was told they could not obtain one with a manual transmission in the US any longer. Then, I started looking at the 3 and would have definitely had to resort to building (which I ended up not doing as a result of this move). The only manual transmission 3 series that showed up on the lot were the base models lacking all of the options I wanted. I didn't want to settle and now I'm glad I did not.

I will definitely avoid a 1.6 VW for our economy car, though. The TDI we have now is a 2.0L and actually feels surprisingly responsive for a low powered diesel wagon. I wouldn't want to go any lower than that.

ascii42

Replace "Mini-van" with "SUV" and I'm with you.

If I had children, I'd probably get a mini-van. I think they are the best family vehicles. I like wagons, but sliding doors push mini-vans over the edge. The only other thing I'd consider is a conversion van. I love conversion vans.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Got my Jaguar out of the garage. Thankfully no water entered the garage. But boy do I have a crazy story about how I recovered it, since all of Long Island has absolutely no power - the garage remote was useless. Hell, entering Long Island was like entering a ghost town - it was pitch black absolutely everywhere. Traffic lights were out, lights, the streets were dark so it was hard to see trees on the ground.

I got to my office building, I tried to pry the gate up, when I heard someone from the other side asking me what am I trying to do. I thought someone was trapped, turns out it was the guy from the 2nd floor trying to get his A6 out looking for some sort of emergency latch to unlock the garage door. No such thing. I able to go inside the garage from the building door and make sure my baby was safe - she was. But what were the chances of somebody being there at the exact same time as me also trying to get his car out? What a coincidence.

We needed to get our cars out of there, because the power would not be coming back on for many days. So we noticed the box that houses the pulley and motor assembly. The guy started toying around with it and started cranking the pulley - the door began to rise but very incrementally. So we took turns for about 30 minutes rotating this pulley, cranking up this massive steel gate that was like 30 feet wide, and 10 feet tall.

Finally we were able to get both his A6 and my Jag out, escaping into the night.

Haha - that's awesome. Glad it was safe and sound. Good fortune that you could crank the pulley by hand.

The V6 is good but (I'm biased, I admit) the Porsche flat 6's sound even better IMO. That V8 though.... I think I caught a little bit of drool coming out of the corner of my mouth when I heard it. That thing sounds fantastic!

Pretty much - Wow!

AlphaSnake

The V6 sounds astonishing but then they have the V8 pass by and.... FUCK.

I have to mention this...did you notice that the transmission didn't seem to shift particularly quick? For the car's sake, I hope it was just in a comfort setting of some sort. Because I know the ZF8 box in the Audi shifts super quick in sport mode, as does the ZF6 in my Jaguar now.

Have I mentioned that I have a Jag? I figured I should.

Jaaaaaaaaaag

N-Bomb

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag.

Replace "Mini-van" with "SUV" and I'm with you.

There's no recovering from a mini-van though. It's like "which is the best lethal nerve agent to be exposed to?"

If I had children, I'd probably get a mini-van. I think they are the best family vehicles. I like wagons, but sliding doors push mini-vans over the edge. The only other thing I'd consider is a conversion van. I love conversion vans.

I would keep my sedan. Or coupe. Or whatever I had. Wife could do what she wanted. I refuse to ever own a minivan. Keep in mind that I have respect for things Jeep-like (real JEEP, not Jeep as a brand), but not SUVs/CUVs. Please don't ever expect advice or praise on/for an SUV, I will only give you a dirty look.

sounds ok, doesnt beat a straight six diesel, thats for sure. gas cars always have that bee-stuck-in-a-tin-can kinda noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0kdT5YN8rs
revving

i'll try to find a better video, but you get the gist

I vehemently disagree. Those engines sound like they are being fed with coal.

I notice that the gentleman in the video appears to have an audio system in his vehicle, and I wonder what the purpose of it is.

paskowitz

Nope. I don't see myself ever spending more than $20k for a car.

My favorite is (and possibly always will be) the Infiniti G35 Coupe. I can literally identify one from blocks away by hearing alone.

It is a distinctive noise. Not sure it is my favorite though.

In other news:

Honda may share platforms, facilities with Malaysia's Proton

KUALA LUMPUR (Bloomberg) -- Honda Motor Co., Japan's third-largest automaker, may share car platforms and production facilities with Malaysian national carmaker Proton Holdings, owner of the British sports car maker Lotus Group International Ltd.

The companies signed an agreement on Monday and will also explore opportunities to collaborate in technology and new product line-up, according to a Kuala Lumpur stock exchange filing by Proton's parent, DRB-Hicom Bhd.

"Having a strong and renowned global automotive player like Honda Motor as the foreign strategic partner to Proton will provide the group with the opportunity to grow as an original equipment manufacturer," DRB said in the statement. "The opportunities are endless."

Honda already produces cars in Malaysia, including CR-V sports utility vehicles.

For Proton, the deal may provide access to technology that could help it boost exports, after holding unsuccessful alliance talks with Volkswagen and PSA/Peugeot-Citroen.

DRB, an autos-to-property group controlled by billionaire Syed Mokhtar Al-Bukhary, wants to bolster Proton after taking over the Malaysian carmaker this year.

The agreement "indicates DRB's commitment and initiative in restructuring Proton and turning it around with strategic partnership," Daniel Wong, an analyst at Hong Leong Financial Group Bhd., wrote in a report on Monday, ahead of the statement. "We strongly believe that DRB is taking swift actions in integrating newly acquired Proton and contributing positively to the group."

Proton, set up by former Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad in 1983 to steer the Southeast Asian nation's industrialization plan, has been struggling to compete with rivals including Toyota Motor Corp.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20121030/ANE/310309994#ixzz2AuZ20l5s

Aaaaaand Awesome video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_INdbXMqsw

Picked up a 5 Speed WRX Transmission, differential, drive shaft, and axels today, happy to start the parts collection for my project lol.

Along with the new front bumper, fenders, hood, headlights and other pieces to repair my MR2 which is at the shop.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Big news out of Hiroshima, Japan. Mazda will reportedly resurrect its legendary RX-7 sports car.

But don’t reach for your checkbook just yet. This rotary-powered two-door is not expected to arrive at dealerships until 2017.

According to the company’s sports car chief, Nobuhiro Yamamoto, the RX-7’s introduction coincides with the 50th anniversary of Mazda’s first Wankel-powered car, the Cosmo Sport.

The new RX-7 will likely be powered by a naturally aspirated rotary engine, a design favored by Yamamoto. When asked about the possibility of forced induction, he said “at this time it has not been determined. Maybe later in life it will be turbo, but to start with maybe not.” How’s that for a definite uncertainty?

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/10/new-mazda-rx-7-due-to-arrive-in-2017.html

ascii42

The new RX-7 is expected to go on sale sometime in 2017. As for pricing, Yamamoto hinted the car’s base MSRP will be similar to the Nissan 370Z, which starts at around $33,000.

What did the RX-8 go for?

AlphaSnake

I hate it when car companies say they have something planned to release in 4 fucking years. Just don't tell us shit, because it's useless unless it exists. Wait until a year until you announce it.

N-Bomb

Picked up a 5 Speed WRX Transmission, differential, drive shaft, and axels today, happy to start the parts collection for my project lol.

Along with the new front bumper, fenders, hood, headlights and other pieces to repair my MR2 which is at the shop.

5MT can't handle as much power as the 6MT. FYI.

if not turbo, then 3 rotor??

Why? The 13B Renesis in the RX-8 made what, 220-240hp? The 16X is said to be able to make up to 300hp. No idea how fuel economy works into it, but if it's targetting the Z and has 280ish hp and under 2900 lbs, it'll be fantastic.

J-Rzez

I hate it when car companies say they have something planned to release in 4 fucking years. Just don't tell us shit, because it's useless unless it exists. Wait until a year until you announce it.

Though it won't happen, I wish Toyota would bring back the Supra in all it's MKIV glory, and at the show they announce it say, "BTW - Here it is, on sale next month". Though in this day and age it would be impossible to do so with all the "spy photo scoopers" catching everything. And as we know, taking a car to the Ring for testing is street cred like a rapper getting shot.

paskowitz

Though it won't happen, I wish Toyota would bring back the Supra in all it's MKIV glory, and at the show they announce it say, "BTW - Here it is, on sale next month". Though in this day and age it would be impossible to do so with all the "spy photo scoopers" catching everything. And as we know, taking a car to the Ring for testing is street cred like a rapper getting shot.

I would not count out the Supra.

paskowitz

Oh, the Supra is coming back, I'm just saying it should be announced like that. No one knowing a thing about it, then bam, instead of 2-4 years until sale. Plus, I hope it's true to it's MKIV roots. :)

I think it is going to be an electric turbo hybrid. Hopefully TT V6.

5MT can't handle as much power as the 6MT. FYI.

Why? The 13B Renesis in the RX-8 made what, 220-240hp? The 16X is said to be able to make up to 300hp. No idea how fuel economy works into it, but if it's targetting the Z and has 280ish hp and under 2900 lbs, it'll be fantastic.

Yea I know, but it handles more than an L 5 speed, and its MUCH better than my Auto FWD

Still need a couple parts such as:
Gas Tank
Clutch and Flywheel
Pedals
Rear Subframe
CLutch Slave and Master Cylinders
and Front CV Axels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom