• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The interior. The trunk all looked like this:

YNaYt.jpg

X9tKV.jpg

QSUdX.jpg

Rm8rJ.jpg

The purple thing in the last image is a baby's rattle toy. The car was about 200 feet away from my mom's parking spot, the water rose that high and carried it that far. Even massive SUVs and trucks like Ford F150s, Benz GLs were completely destroyed.

N-Bomb

Yea I know, but it handles more than an L 5 speed, and its MUCH better than my Auto FWD

Still need a couple parts such as:
Gas Tank
Clutch and Flywheel
Pedals
Rear Subframe
CLutch Slave and Master Cylinders
and Front CV Axels

I have an STi clutch and flywheel for sale, but I don't know that it would be economical for you. Also a starter and a hood!

To be fair, some people screw with the auto in their performance builds.

The interior. The trunk all looked like this:

YNaYt.jpg

The purple thing in the last image is a baby's rattle toy. The car was about 200 feet away from my mom's parking spot, the water rose that high and carried it that far. Even massive SUVs and trucks like Ford F150s, Benz GLs were completely destroyed.

What are we looking at here? One of yours?

robox

Why? The 13B Renesis in the RX-8 made what, 220-240hp? The 16X is said to be able to make up to 300hp. No idea how fuel economy works into it, but if it's targetting the Z and has 280ish hp and under 2900 lbs, it'll be fantastic.
you really think 300hp will be viable 4 years from now? it'd be the frs/86 situation all over again. z now has what, 350? mustang v8 has 400. focus st nipping at the heels at 260. and it's only gonna go up

AlphaSnake

What are we looking at here? One of yours?

My mom's 2012 Volvo S60. The bugger was going to turn 1 year old exactly 1 month from the day it was destroyed. :(

It was really such a wonderful little car. So much character and such a pleasure to drive. Best seats ever designed. An audio system that was clearly very Swedish and extremely capable. A motor that definitely galloped. And a chassis that was certainly far more agile than it looked.

ascii42

you really think 300hp will be viable 4 years from now? it'd be the frs/86 situation all over again. z now has what, 350? mustang v8 has 400. focus st nipping at the heels at 260. and it's only gonna go up

The horsepower wars have gotten so ridiculous.

Not that I'm complaining, mind. But I did find it amusing when I drove a Cadillac CTS-V and realized it has more horsepower than all three of my cars combined.

Zyzyxxz

My mom's 2012 Volvo S60. The bugger was going to turn 1 year old exactly 1 month from the day it was destroyed. :(

It was really such a wonderful little car. So much character and such a pleasure to drive. Best seats ever designed. An audio system that was clearly very Swedish and extremely capable. A motor that definitely galloped. And a chassis that was certainly far more agile than it looked.

Well at least all you and yours all alive and well I assume. Cars can be replaced.

N-Bomb

Seriously? 300 isn't viable? In what realm of physics? An FD will still blow the socks off many modern 'sports cars', so this theoretical 2700-2800lb/300hp car would be more than a match for anything in its class.

And yes, the hp wars are ridiculous, especially when you can have so much fun in a Miata.

This. I'd rather have a Miata than pretty much any other sub $100k car.

Really? Miatas are spunky little cars to be sure, but really? M3? Boxster? Cayman? Carrera? GT-R? TT RS? Shelby GT500? Z06?

A Miata? Over all of those (and others)? Really?

Ironically related
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/01/underground-racing-audi-r8-gt-sema-2012/
Underground Racing has proven that fast can also get faster. Starting life as a 560-horsepower R8 GT, Underground Racing has developed four stages for the car ranging from a "mild" 700 hp up to a ridiculously wild 1,000-hp version... and that's just on pump gas.

Jesus god.

03-underground-racing-audi-r8-gt-sema.jpg

I'm quickly becoming a fan of matte paint...saw an M3 in gun metal last weekend that just looked incredible.

matmanx1

This. I'd rather have a Miata than pretty much any other sub $100k car.

Owning a Boxster and having driven a Miata I can tell you that while the Miata is lots of fun for the price the roomier, more comfortable interior and higher quality materials make a big difference for me over why I chose a used $30k Boxster over a new Miata at about the same price. The Boxster is just a nicer place to spend a day in the car. And of course the extra 73 horsepower and 61 lb ft of torque don't hurt either!

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/01/tesla-model-s-wins-automobile-car-of-the-year-w-video/

Tesla Model S wins Automobile Magazine Car of the Year

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/201...carrera/porsche-911-elitist-price-peril-33406

Porsche Australia admits they are ripping off their own customers.

For a quick comparison for Americans, here's some pricing straight from their website:

AU 911 Turbo $395,507 ($411,327 USD)
US 911 Turbo $137,500

AU 911 Carrera Coupe $252,975 ($263,094 USD)
US 911 Carrera Coupe $82,100

AU Boxster New manual base $122,606 ($127,510 USD)
US Boxster New manual base $49,500

Yes I know the AU prices include tax and the US doesn't, but the difference is still massive and has been a point of contention for a long time. At least they've finally admitted what we all knew...

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/01/tesla-model-s-wins-automobile-car-of-the-year-w-video/

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/201...carrera/porsche-911-elitist-price-peril-33406

For a quick comparison for Americans, here's some pricing straight from their website:

US 911 Turbo $137,500

Yes I know the AU prices include tax and the US doesn't, but the difference is still massive and has been a point of contention for a long time. At least they've finally admitted what we all knew...

Those prices are unreal. It's like they're selling black market stuff.

XenoRaven

I don't know if this is a place to talk about buying a new car but I bought my first new car a few weeks ago. First time I've had a car payment too, but its worth it.

It's a 2012 Mazda3 S Grand Touring and while it isn't that special in the grand scheme of things, I'm super proud of it. It looks nice, has some great features, and is really fun to drive. I'd never owned, driven, or even considered buying Mazda before this purchase, but I'm pretty sure the next time I'm in the market for a new car I'll be checking out my Mazda dealer first.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't know if this is a place to talk about buying a new car but I bought my first new car a few weeks ago. First time I've had a car payment too, but its worth it.

It's a 2012 Mazda3 S Grand Touring and while it isn't that special in the grand scheme of things, I'm super proud of it. It looks nice, has some great features, and is really fun to drive. I'd never owned, driven, or even considered buying Mazda before this purchase, but I'm pretty sure the next time I'm in the market for a new car I'll be checking out my Mazda dealer first.
Congrats. The first car I ever purchased was a Mazda as well (Mazda 6). It was a good car overall, though I did have a few issues (fuel pump failed after less than 30k miles, for instance). Enjoy it!

bcl0328

Dead Man

US 911 Turbo $137,500

Good. I love the 2 Porsches I have driven, but their prices here are insane. Watch them do nothing about it though.

Circle T

wonder how an intercooler will get air through that front.

Well, there are a lot of cars that have turbos. You don't have to use a huge, prominent front-mount or top-mount like the Evo and Impreza. Cars like the GTI, old DSMs, etc, just use a little side mount in one of the side grille openings. Hell, even the old twin-turbo Supra and 300Z just used little side-mounts for their intercoolers. I could see them doing something similar on the BRZ. With relatively low boost like most stock cars have, you don't need a humongous intercooler.

Ovid

Sucks doesn't it.

I'm on a quarter tank and recently passed the break-in period on my G. Now I can't drive it anymore.

AlphaSnake

Sucks doesn't it.

I'm on a quarter tank and recently passed the break-in period on my G. Now I can't drive it anymore.

Totally blows. They're saying with 72 hours everything should hopefully be restored and pumps will be working.

I wouldn't want to be driving around NY in a car like that anyhow right now. Is the situation improved at all?

Depends on where you go. The areas that got worst are obviously prone to looters and cocksucking thugs. All of Long Beach, Breezy Point, Howard Beach, Coney Island and other coastal parts were TOTALLY wiped clean. I'm talking cars in the ocean, houses destroyed and washed away, and even worse...police departments wrecked with no cars to use, fire department is the same story there. So we have federal units and SWAT teams trying to ensure peace.

Hundreds have been arrested so far, though.

AlphaSnake

I don't mind a wing on a car, it's just that it looks like it was ordered from a 1999 JEGS catalog.

The wing is a placeholder for the final OEM molding. It's there to figure out what the best angel would be, before Subie starts making them.

AlphaSnake

I saw a 2013 M5 on the road today...pussyfooting it. Hahaha. People driving down the boulevard behind my house like slugs. It's hilarious. Everyone is trying to conserve gasoline.

Hell, not to mention there was virtually NO rush hour traffic either.

AlphaSnake

So the hunt for a new car has begun for my mother. She's been bugging me all day (which I love, since I love it when family asks me for car buying help).

The most obvious choice will be another Volvo S60, but this time with AWD and navigation.

But before that, she wants to take a look at the Range Rover Evoque, which she absolutely LOVED. The other option is a fully loaded Audi Q5 2.0T, a BMW X1 or BMW X3. But the BMW's option out like shit, where 1 option tacks on another 2 options...and all of a sudden you're down $8K in options for a tiny little car like the X1.

We'll see. The quest for another new car begins.

I sorta' wish for the Volvo again

N-Bomb

wonder how an intercooler will get air through that front.

The TMIC on my STi is around 18x7x4, it would fit easily in front of the radiator if they had to.

There are other cars that have had side-mounted ICs fed by fog light ducts or whatnot, as well.

Ovid

I saw a 2013 M5 on the road today...pussyfooting it. Hahaha. People driving down the boulevard behind my house like slugs. It's hilarious. Everyone is trying to conserve gasoline.

Hell, not to mention there was virtually NO rush hour traffic either.
Haha...I dropped my friend off at his house after we both took the express bus back to my place. I didn't turn the heat on in the car because I was afraid of using up more gasoline. I'm currently at around 30 miles to empty. Less than a quarter tank left...lol.

speedline

Banned
So the hunt for a new car has begun for my mother. She's been bugging me all day (which I love, since I love it when family asks me for car buying help).

The most obvious choice will be another Volvo S60, but this time with AWD and navigation.

But before that, she wants to take a look at the Range Rover Evoque, which she absolutely LOVED. The other option is a fully loaded Audi Q5 2.0T, a BMW X1 or BMW X3. But the BMW's option out like shit, where 1 option tacks on another 2 options...and all of a sudden you're down $8K in options for a tiny little car like the X1.

We'll see. The quest for another new car begins.

I sorta' wish for the Volvo again

Your mom has good tastes. I would also look at the Audi lineup, A5 A6 or just goes all out with the RS5 lol. Yeah, the BMW options are where the money adds up very quick.

AlphaSnake

I see a gas station in those pics...MUST. DRINK IT. GIVE IT TO ME. I. NEED. GAS.

AlphaSnake

Your mom has good tastes. I would also look at the Audi lineup, A5 A6 or just goes all out with the RS5 lol. Yeah, the BMW options are where the money adds up very quick.

Well, we have an A6 already. It used to be my car, until I handed it over to my dad last week since I got the Jaaaaaaaaaag. And she doesn't want a low riding coupe, so the A5 is definitely out of the equation.

The Volvo has pretty good ground clearance, and thus far has proven itself on NYC's absolute worst roads (daily commute is: Woodhaven Blvd to Belt Pkwy to Coney Island-Surf Avenue). Those who live in NYC simply know, this is one of the worst combination of roads for a car to endure, the Belt Pkwy particularly.

But yes, mom has awesome taste in cars:

She asked me about Benzes, so I showed her the GLK and she thought it looked like a blunt instrument, dull and ugly. And she hated the plasticky interior - that's how I know she's my mom.

She asked about the Lexus RX, and I said the car handles poorly and lacks confidence, and she goes: "I don't need a boat. Next."

I showed her the 2013 Acura RDX and she was like "what's with the bucktooth front grille? And that center console is a little too bulky looking. The entire car just looks so boring and plain too." At which point I told my mom that cars out of Toyota and Honda tend to be referred to as appliances: square and dull, like a dishwasher, washing machine or a fridge.

She says "no American cars please. I need something that looks classy, something with some femininity." And that's when the Evoque hit me, since it WAS, after all, a by product of input from Victoria Beckham. Seems like that car was precisely what she was looking for. Despite the price tag too, she's pretty keen on the car.

She was also interested in the Infiniti EX37, but I did warn her that it'll likely be a bit of a rougher ride and the fuel efficiency will pale to the Volvo's 29 HWY MPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom