• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn.

The new Cayman S and the Jag F-Type are basically the same price. Both 2-seaters, with similar performance stats.

Which would you pick and why?

My gut still says that the F-Type is going to drive more like a grand tourer than a focused sports car, so it's not quite a toss up. For me, either would be a second car (I've found that I honestly do need at least sedan or 2+2 space in a daily driver) so I'd go with the more focused Cayman.

That said, I'm not buying a sports car until I'm remarried because I'd need to dump the sedan or wagon on the wife. When I was married I had a 996 and she had a Malibu, best way to do it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Between me, Dead-Visions, Dave, and Reilo...we have an assortment of some of the best GAF tags around.

Although, to be fair, I chose mine voluntarily like 6 years ago (it's from the Chappelle show)

AlphaSnake

I get to replace two CV Axles this weekend yay!

Can I just buy regular Autozone ones or should I go OEM?? I drive an 03 Maxima by the way...

Former Maxima owner here.

Get the Autozone ones - they're repaired OEM units.

El_Chino

2013 Ferrari 770 Daytona Milano

ferrari-770-daytona-_600x0w.jpg

That is one hell of a good looking car. The only thing I don't like on the exterior are the mirrors. I don't know why they'd make them droop like that--they remind me of a sad dog.

The interior looks nice as well, but I'll never like lcd consoles.

matmanx1

The side profile of the 4 series looks great but I'm not crazy about the lower front view. It sort of looks like someone took their false teeth out and caused a case of drooping lips.

I really do like the interior although that headliner and pillar trim is a little bit much. In that picture it looks really plush and maybe a little bit distracting in that color scheme.

bcl0328

That is one hell of a good looking car. The only thing I don't like on the exterior are the mirrors. I don't know why they'd make them droop like that--they remind me of a sad dog.

The interior looks nice as well, but I'll never like lcd consoles.

i have the same lcd console in my 328i. it's really not bad and very easy to use. it shows nav, music, telephone, vehicle info, etc. it's not touch screen.

N-Bomb

Well...yes.

But I was talking about the Miata.

The Miata is an excellent car for its purpose.

Man, that's not a great retrozation.

new 4-series?

bmw4serieconcept201305.jpg

bmw4serieconcept201302.jpg

What's with all these douchey accents everywhere? That would be downright pretty if it wasn't for the bullshit they stuck in the front and rear bumpers, and those stupid side-ports. Bets on if any of that mung is functional?

Wasp

Dammit, I think I've been ripped off at the garage.

I took my car to the garage yesterday because both my car keys had become loose, turning around and around in the locks/ignition. They quoted me £180 to have two new keys cut plus the labour to "program" them. Despite being extortionate I agreed to pay this.

Today I go to collect my car and new keys and they only give me one new key (at £35) and the receptionist says that they "decided to only go with the one key in the end". I argue that the price is still the same despite one less key but she argued about the cost of the labour and in the end I ended giving in and paid the £180.

After looking at the invoice they charged me 2 hours of labour (at £60 an hour) to program my key to my locks. Two hours to program the key! Hell, it's an old car and key I have no idea if it even needs programming or not. I'm temped to smash my old key to see if there's a chip in there or something.

Now I feel like an idiot that I never argued further. Despite already paying should I go back tomorrow and ask to see the manager or should I just cut my loses and never use the garage again?

EDIT: Looking at the invoice the two hours of labour was also spent trying to figure out why locking/unlocking the driver door doesn't lock/unlock and passenger side and vice versa. This is an issue they discovered after I agreed to pay the £180 for the keys. They concluded it was probably a wiring problem but would have to rip out the dashboard which would be expensive. So they charged me for those two hours of investigative labour despite not fixing anything, despite me not agreeing to pay specifically for this labour. Is that right, can they do that?

I took my car to the garage yesterday because both my car keys had become loose, turning around and around in the locks/ignition. They quoted me £180 to have two new keys cut plus the labour to "program" them. Despite being extortionate I agreed to pay this.

Today I go to collect my car and new keys and they only give me one new key (at £35) and the receptionist says that they "decided to only go with the one key in the end". I argue that the price is still the same despite one less key but she argued about the cost of the labour and in the end I ended giving in and paid the £180.

After looking at the invoice they charged me 2 hours of labour (at £60 an hour) to program my key to my locks. Two hours to program the key! Hell, it's an old car and key I have no idea if it even needs programming or not. I'm temped to smash my old key to see if there's a chip in there or something.

Now I feel like an idiot that I never argued further. Despite already paying should I go back tomorrow and ask to see the manager or should I just cut my loses and never use the garage again?

EDIT: Looking at the invoice the two hours of labour was also spent trying to figure out why locking/unlocking the driver door doesn't lock/unlock and passenger side and vice versa. This is an issue they discovered after I agreed to pay the £180 for the keys. They concluded it was probably a wiring problem but would have to rip out the dashboard which would be expensive. So they charged me for those two hours of investigative labour despite not fixing anything, despite me not agreeing to pay specifically for this labour. Is that right, can they do that?

What kind of car.

Circle T

Cupholders in front of the shifter.

WHY YOU GOTTA DO THAT BMW.

FUCK.
Can't be much worse than the "cup holders" in my 350Z. I use that term loosely, as they don't hold much of anything. Plus, they're in a covered compartment behind the shifter.... right where your elbow is located. If I do ever have a drink in them, I have to babysit it the entire time, constantly checking to keep it from falling over and spilling in even low speed corners, and from me knocking it over with my arm on a shift. Very frustrating, to say the least.

N-Bomb

Can't be much worse than the "cup holders" in my 350Z. I use that term loosely, as they don't hold much of anything. Plus, they're in a covered compartment behind the shifter.... right where your elbow is located. If I do ever have a drink in them, I have to babysit it the entire time, constantly checking to keep it from falling over and spilling in even low speed corners, and from me knocking it over with my arm on a shift. Very frustrating, to say the least.

My celica had cupholders like that. God DAMN it was annoying to have to shift with my elbow up in the air.

AlphaSnake

Probably scared of it cutting into Panamera sales.

The E63 wagon is a decent alternative in the USA.

Good luck trying to find an E63. It's the most rare Merc in production.

More rare than an SLS AMG.

I saw one a month ago and almost shit myself. Not because it looks nice, but again, the rarity of it impresses me.

AlphaSnake

They fixed that for 06+ models. They have two crammed ass cupholders in the center, but also one in each door.

The 370Z has just one good sized cup holder in the center, and one in each door as well.

I'm just glad BMW got rid of their stupid ass slide out cupholders.

The best cupholder designs are usually the ones that are flexible.

I've never used the word cupholder this often.

TxdoHawk

So I have an '08 Nissan Altima. At some point, one of the tires developed a leak, and it turned out to be the TPMS sensor. Pep Boys put a tube in there instead because they were out of sensors. Now my other three tires are exhibiting the same problem, while the "tubed" tire hasn't lost any air since.

Originally I was going to pay to replace the sensor + pay the dealer to reprogram them all, but this seems to be an endless money pit, so I'm thinking of just saying the hell with it and having them put tubes in the other three tires. Is this a bad idea, beyond the fact that this obviously means my TPMS won't work? (I do a ton of driving for work and check my tire pressure every week anyway, so I'm not exactly scared.)

More on-topic:

new 4-series?
bmw4serieconcept201306.jpg

I love how over-wrought concept render interiors are.

ascii42

I think my Riviera's got everyone beat as far as cupholders go. Got to love the '80s.
Cm3D2l.jpg

I'm also reasonably certain that Chevy's got some sort of design guideline that says one cupholder has to be smaller than the other, or something. Though the other little sections are useful.

dZNTKl.jpg

This is why floor shifters are stupid in cars with automatic transmissions. Put a column shifter in, and you've got plenty of room for cupholders and such.

FStop7

Banned
More on-topic:

I love how over-wrought concept render interiors are.

I bet they keep almost all of it. I think they'll switch to the newer steering wheel design (similar to the new M6) and I sincerely hope they ditch the fucking wicker basket looking braided leather. That's horrible.

FStop7

Banned
Good luck trying to find an E63. It's the most rare Merc in production.

More rare than an SLS AMG.

I saw one a month ago and almost shit myself. Not because it looks nice, but again, the rarity of it impresses me.

I found 3 of them in stock at a dealer in Orange County a month or two ago when I was kind of looking. SoCal has a higher than average # of dealers and stock to choose from though.

matmanx1

My Boxster has the slide out cupholders above the glovebox which I originally thought was a terrible idea but have since tested extensively. They work far better than they look like they should and have yet to spill a single drop out of any beverage. Who would have thought, eh?

In other news, my Boxster is for sale. I want a quieter car with a better sound system. It's too bad though, I'll probably want to kick myself for selling the Porsche at some point down the road. Probably going to go back to looking at 1 and 3 series BMW's and maybe the G37s. I still want fun, fast and good handling but the car also has to be well built and have a comfortable, good looking interior. I am pretty spoiled at this point!

Igo

Check if they're listed on any of those business ranking sites and give them a really shitty review. Don't know if it hold true for garages but a lot of businesses track those sites and absolutely hate bad reviews. Even if nothing comes of it at least someone else might choose to avoid them after seeing your review.

ameratsu

So i bought a clean 1999 integra gs-r about a month ago to use as a daily driver. It's now completely stock since I removed the drop-in k&n filter that the original owner installed. I've replaced the thermostat, hatchback struts, treated the leather, and changed the oil. Basic security mods are done in addition to the 2-way alarm. The ac idler pulley bearing is making noise and will be replaced in the spring. I will remove the seats to steam clean the carpets as well.

Many other integras have been ruined in the hands of lousy owners -- through dubious mods or chopped up because of them and pieced out to voracious civic owners. I've decided to keep my gs-r as stock possible because clean, stock integras are getting rarer all the time.

There just isn't much to take care of in terms of maintenance. So how do I avoid getting bored and throwing on a subframe brace and type-r rear sway on this thing? I have a to-do list, but I could burn through it pretty fast.

So i bought a clean 1999 integra gs-r about a month ago to use as a daily driver. It's now completely stock since I removed the drop-in k&n filter that the original owner installed. I've replaced the thermostat, hatchback struts, treated the leather, and changed the oil. Basic security mods are done in addition to the 2-way alarm. The ac idler pulley bearing is making noise and will be replaced in the spring. I will remove the seats to steam clean the carpets as well.

Many other integras have been ruined in the hands of lousy owners -- through dubious mods or chopped up because of them and pieced out to voracious civic owners. I've decided to keep my gs-r as stock possible because clean, stock integras are getting rarer all the time.

There just isn't much to take care of in terms of maintenance. So how do I avoid getting bored and throwing on a subframe brace and type-r rear sway on this thing? I have a to-do list, but I could burn through it pretty fast.

I always love seeing super clean, original Integras driving around. I'd say leave that thing bone stock as a fun daily driver that you can take some pride in and then buy a piece of shit to thrash on the side if you get antsy for a little hooliganry.

aznpxdd

Liking how the 4 series looks, but I'm gonna wait to see the M-Sport version.

If the M-Sport looks awesome and the price is right (for the 435i?), I think I found my next car.

But yeah, that interior is ugly as shiiit in brown.

I get to go get damage on my car appraised in 30 minutes from my neighbor's fantastically failed backing out attempt in the garage. At least they were nice enough to leave a note apologizing.

Well this sucks. On the way to work this morning I heard a bang. I figured it might have been the usual windshield hit. Got to work and saw a nice dent in my hood along with a 1 inch chip, all the way to the metal. Some paint is chipping around it too, all I can do for now is some touch up paint to stop any rusting.

Ugh, my poor GTI.

N-Bomb

Well this sucks. On the way to work this morning I heard a bang. I figured it might have been the usual windshield hit. Got to work and saw a nice dent in my hood along with a 1 inch chip, all the way to the metal. Some paint is chipping around it too, all I can do for now is some touch up paint to stop any rusting.

Ugh, my poor GTI.

Good excuse to get an aluminum hood now!

AlphaSnake

R32's may sound better and look marginally better...but they're slow and heavy with no power to be added from aftermarket.

GTIs actually have potential.

AlphaSnake

Or like...you can buy a car that looks JUST like it that comes with the turbos already?

Oh bu..bu...the badge makes it rare. That's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom