• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requiem

I want to get a new car within the next year and a half but I just can't make a decision on what to set my sights on. I have a Maxima which provides enough power and luxury for me at the moment so I feel like whatever I get next needs to be a step up.

So far I've been looking into A5/S5, 535i, G37, Cayenne, 335i but I really can't narrow it down. I need the car to be a manual transmission but other than that I have no preference. Any suggestions or tips?

I want to get a new car within the next year and a half but I just can't make a decision on what to set my sights on. I have a Maxima which provides enough power and luxury for me at the moment so I feel like whatever I get next needs to be a step up.

So far I've been looking into A5/S5, 535i, G37, Cayenne, 335i but I really can't narrow it down. I need the car to be a manual transmission but other than that I have no preference. Any suggestions or tips?

You're kind of in an interesting range there with your listed picks.

I'm 99% sure there's no such thing as an MT Cayenne, unless you meant the Cayman.

I'd go with the 335i over the G37 and A5. You could also wait for the official 4-Series since it looks like you want a coupe. I believe the G family is also due for a new generation model within a year. You've pretty much picked the top of the pack with those three so I'd also say that you should just drive all of them and see which one you like the most.

I don't believe the latest 5-Series has been received too well, you'd be better off looking at the A6 or E-Class.

~~~

Unrelated:

Autoblog's Lincoln MKZ Review:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/07/2013-lincoln-mkz-first-drive-review-video/
Our conclusion, after taking the Audi A6, BMW 5 Series, Cadillac CTS and Lexus ES into consideration, is that the 2013 MKZ falls short. While we found many things to like (its styling and cabin isolation are at the top of our favorites), there are significant compromises (second row comfort, small trunk, ergonomic gripes and a thirsty V6 to name a few) keeping it off our most-wanted list. Even though it may be the most stylish Lincoln we've ever driven, it is far from extraordinary.

Lincoln doesn't want anyone to think of its newest offering as a redesigned Ford Fusion with boosted luxury appointments and a $15,000 price premium, but the reality remains hard to ignore. A sinking feeling in our stomachs tells us this MKZ is still not distinct enough to buoy the luxury brand. In fact, the whole experience left us wondering... what would the underappreciated rear-wheel-drive Lincoln LS have matured into today had it been celebrating its 13th year of production?

03-2013-lincoln-mkz-fd-1354841405.jpg

Honestly? I like the sheet metal. It's too bad that it seems paired with a mediocre heart and interior.

ascii42

I'd say it looks like they've done a better job differentiating it from the Fusion than last generation. Not sure about its competitor list. Aren't the A6 and 5 series far more expensive? The CTS is in that price range, but mostly I see it just competing with the ES, as it's FWD. I think the next-gen CTS is coming next year, and it'll probably be more expensive as well. So from that standpoint, the MKZ may present a good value solution, but that's really more where Mercury should have been than Lincoln.

I'd say the styling is almost really good, but there's something off about it from every angle.

cajunator

Banned
Ok so wait, Lincoln provided a very competent and competitive RWD car in the LS that people underappreciated and now everyone's jumping down their throats about this FWD model? You had a chance to buy a RWD Lincoln and you didnt.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Where do you live? I've had a 335i Coupe...I liked it a lot. But the interior build quality wasn't very good. Rattles and squeaks everywhere. Plus it rides rough as hell no matter what kind of tires you have on the car.

My personal suggestion is the Audi S5.

TylerD

My car is already developing more interior rattles thanks to shit-tastic Oklahoma roads. Sorry car. :(

Oil change from BMW Castrol 5W-30 to Liqui Moly 5W-30 up for this weekend.

Culex

Banned
Ok so wait, Lincoln provided a very competent and competitive RWD car in the LS that people underappreciated and now everyone's jumping down their throats about this FWD model? You had a chance to buy a RWD Lincoln and you didnt.

Yea, it's a shame, too. The LS was a really nice car, especially the last year of production. The Zephyr (MKZ) just didn't make me smile the same way.

Requiem

You're kind of in an interesting range there with your listed picks.

I'm 99% sure there's no such thing as an MT Cayenne, unless you meant the Cayman.

I'd go with the 335i over the G37 and A5. You could also wait for the official 4-Series since it looks like you want a coupe. I believe the G family is also due for a new generation model within a year. You've pretty much picked the top of the pack with those three so I'd also say that you should just drive all of them and see which one you like the most.

I don't believe the latest 5-Series has been received too well, you'd be better off looking at the A6 or E-Class.

The base model and GTS model of the Cayenne offer MT. I'm not really looking to have the latest and greatest just a step up from my maxima.

Thanks for the input

Where do you live? I've had a 335i Coupe...I liked it a lot. But the interior build quality wasn't very good. Rattles and squeaks everywhere. Plus it rides rough as hell no matter what kind of tires you have on the car.

My personal suggestion is the Audi S5.

I'm in NYC so the roads are shit. I did read that he 335i has a very stiff ride...my gut says get the Audi...

Anyone have any experience with extended warranties??

AlphaSnake

I'm in NYC so the roads are shit. I did read that he 335i has a very stiff ride...my gut says get the Audi...

Anyone have any experience with extended warranties??

NYC here too. The BMW will hurt you on these roads then.

Extended warranties, even those from BMW and Audi are crap. They know what fails on these cars, and they know how to structure them so screw you. I urge you to get new if you go for this kind of car. Or at least a car that has a lot of warranty on it.

TylerD

Yeah. I wonder if there is going to be a 4 series Gran Coupe.

If they think it will sell, sure.

Breaking the 3 coupe out into the 4 and further differentiating it will allow for a larger price gap as well. They have a gap of $2200 for the 328 and $2300 for the 335 base right now with the coupe a hold over from last gen. I'm guessing that will grow to at least $7000 when the 4 goes on sale.

That 4 "concept" is hot. Ditto on the M4.

Requiem

NYC here too. The BMW will hurt you on these roads then.

Extended warranties, even those from BMW and Audi are crap. They know what fails on these cars, and they know how to structure them so screw you. I urge you to get new if you go for this kind of car. Or at least a car that has a lot of warranty on it.

Well the thing about buying new is I'm still pretty young (24 y.o.) and I don't want to be forced to work a full time job just to make payments on a car.

Going German probably isn't the best option but like I said earlier I don't know if an Infiniti is enough of a step up from my Maxima to even warrant the purchase...

So far all my research into the A5 points to an issue with carbon build up but otherwise all minor annoyances. Do you have experience with Audi's??

This thing is more obnoxious than any STi I've ever seen. Holy passive-aggressive design, Batman.

I disagree there is no passive in that design.

On another note, I dislike the headlights of the new 3 series and 4 series linking up with the kidney grill. Old version was so much better.

AlphaSnake

Well the thing about buying new is I'm still pretty young (24 y.o.) and I don't want to be forced to work a full time job just to make payments on a car.

Going German probably isn't the best option but like I said earlier I don't know if an Infiniti is enough of a step up from my Maxima to even warrant the purchase...

So far all my research into the A5 points to an issue with carbon build up but otherwise all minor annoyances. Do you have experience with Audi's??

Yes. A ton of it. My fiance used to have an A4 2.0T. I used to have a last gen Audi A6 4.2. And leased a 2012 A6 3.0T (until I transfered the lease over to my dad when I got a Jaguar XF).

I am not a fan of Audi's 2.0s at all. They seem to be alarmingly problematic when driven a little hard - that bodes the same for VWs GTIs and such. Audi's consume oil - my 4.2 burned oil and now the 3.0T is burning oil as well - it barely has 10K miles on it. I used to have a 2001 Maxima, sold it for a 2006 350Z, then sold that for a 2010 370Z and haven't looked back. You'd be surprised how comfortable the Z rides in NYC, mine is dropped too and the ride is just superb.

If backseats are not an absolute necessity, I suggest a fully loaded 370Z. Otherwise, I don't suggest a used Audi or used BMW.

N-Bomb

Dude, never buy a German luxoboat out of warranty. You're 24 and you need a 'step up'? I know a maxima isn't exactly exciting, but if it's what you have already, keep it until you can get something you really want without any major compromises.

Not even in the slightest bit is that at all obnoxious.

Side vents? Obnoxious.
Huuuuge wheels? Obnoxious. (also leading to other ride/handling/etc compromises)
That power bulge in the hood? Obnoxious.
The headlights? Obnoxious.
Thos front vents? Obno-ah-ah-xious.
And lastly, those side skirts? Obnoxious.

I think the parts that bug me the most are the big wang under the hood and the side vents. The rest I could deal with (although man those front vents... man.)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So, about oil changes...

I got my Jeep about a month ago; and while the dealership says they changed the oil, who knows how long the vehicle has been sitting.

With my older rides, I've always just gone wherever a coupon popped up. $19.99 at Jiffy Lube? Great! $23 at Firestone? Sure! No coupons but the Nissan dealership is running a $35 special and it's close? Eh, I guess.

They never really did anything wrong, as far as I can tell. But now that I actually have a "nicer" vehicle, I'd like to treat it right and actually stay on-top of recommended maintenance and whatnot. And that starts for oil changes.

I know, I know... do it yourself. But, honestly, I'd rather just take it somehwhere that is decent but won't rape my wallet. Recommendations? Regular oil fine? I do every 5K miles. It's a 2011 Jeep Liberty - can I stick with that cycle? And for things like "recommended XX flush at XX miles"... should I go to a dealership or somewhere else? Just looking for general recommendations. Thanks!

N-Bomb

So, about oil changes...

I got my Jeep about a month ago; and while the dealership says they changed the oil, who knows how long the vehicle has been sitting.

With my older rides, I've always just gone wherever a coupon popped up. $19.99 at Jiffy Lube? Great! $23 at Firestone? Sure! No coupons but the Nissan dealership is running a $35 special and it's close? Eh, I guess.

They never really did anything wrong, as far as I can tell. But now that I actually have a "nicer" vehicle, I'd like to treat it right and actually stay on-top of recommended maintenance and whatnot. And that starts for oil changes.

I know, I know... do it yourself. But, honestly, I'd rather just take it somehwhere that is decent but won't rape my wallet. Recommendations? Regular oil fine? I do every 5K miles. It's a 2011 Jeep Liberty - can I stick with that cycle? And for things like "recommended XX flush at XX miles"... should I go to a dealership or somewhere else? Just looking for general recommendations. Thanks!

No offense, but you want to 'treat it right', but then are willing to accept only 'decent'?

Synthetic is always better, and I don't know that I believe in oil flushes.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
No offense, but you want to 'treat it right', but then are willing to accept only 'decent'?

Synthetic is always better, and I don't know that I believe in oil flushes.

Sorry, should have been more clear - I mean, I want the cost/quality ratio to be acceptable. I'm happy to pay for whatever until it hits diminishing returns.

Worst case scenario I'll just slide under the car every 5K miles or so and do a quick Valvoline change or something. Was just curious if people had other recommendations :)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Somebody doesn't know what obnoxious means.

Repeating the same shtick over and over to make a statement? Obnoxious.

AlphaSnake

Dude, never buy a German luxoboat out of warranty. You're 24 and you need a 'step up'? I know a maxima isn't exactly exciting, but if it's what you have already, keep it until you can get something you really want without any major compromises.

Side vents? Obnoxious.
Huuuuge wheels? Obnoxious. (also leading to other ride/handling/etc compromises)

I think the parts that bug me the most are the big wang under the hood and the side vents. The rest I could deal with (although man those front vents... man.)

LMAO. Oh man. You're a comedian.

bcl0328

Side vents? Obnoxious.

you realize most of that shit is functional? the e92 M3 had the hood bulge to fit the engine. whether this car has or will need it we don't know yet.

the side vents are really what set ///M cars apart.

bigger rims will force a lower sidewall which is better for cornering stability.

the headlights are part of BMW's design. the LED lights make it easier for other cars to see you out of the corner.

the front vents help get more air to the intercooler and brakes.

the side skirts just look damn good.

Ovid

Based on the spy shots, the 2014 G37 will not look good. That grill is hideous.

N-Bomb

you realize most of that shit is functional? the e92 M3 had the hood bulge to fit the engine. whether this car has or will need it we don't know yet.

the side vents are really what set ///M cars apart.

bigger rims will force a lower sidewall which is better for cornering stability.

the headlights are part of BMW's design. the LED lights make it easier for other cars to see you out of the corner.

the front vents help get more air to the intercooler and brakes.

the side skirts just look damn good.

I recognize that it may be functional, but it's still obnoxious. I'd expect that in something else, not in a BMW.

-The bulge is something I'd expect on an old Camaro. They should've just used a dry-sump lube system or something to get the engine lower.

-Really? The E30 and E36 had no side vents. The E46's were very tasteful. I can deal with the E9x's although they're a bit gauche. These? It's not a freakin' Viper or Corvette.

-Bigger rims? It's not a DTM car, this'll just mean a shitty ride or compromises to ameliorate that. And cornering stability where? On the on-ramp?

-The headlights are functional, fine. I say they're way too flashy, and the design is going to be dated very quickly, IMO.

-The front vents could get air where it needs to go without looking like some kind of hyperspace docking bay.

-The skirts... meh.

Based on the spy shots, the 2014 G37 will not look good. That grill is hideous.

Bwahahaha, Infiniti just can't make a good design if their life depended on it. Oh my lord. The entire design staff AND the exec who approves these things should disembowel themselves. Shameful.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Because BMW has never released a M3 with a bulge before...

BEWkT.png

... or made the body wider to fit bigger wheels and engine. Nope. Not at all.

I recognize that it may be functional, but it's still obnoxious. I'd expect that in something else, not in a BMW.

-The bulge is something I'd expect on an old Camaro. They should've just used a dry-sump lube system or something to get the engine lower.

-Really? The E30 and E36 had no side vents. The E46's were very tasteful. I can deal with the E9x's although they're a bit gauche. These? It's not a freakin' Viper or Corvette.

-Bigger rims? It's not a DTM car, this'll just mean a shitty ride or compromises to ameliorate that. And cornering stability where? On the on-ramp?

-The headlights are functional, fine. I say they're way too flashy, and the design is going to be dated very quickly, IMO.

-The front vents could get air where it needs to go without looking like some kind of hyperspace docking bay.

-The skirts... meh.

Bwahahaha, Infiniti just can't make a good design if their life depended on it. Oh my lord. The entire design staff AND the exec who approves these things should disembowel themselves. Shameful.

I disagree with you about the M4, as I think it looks pretty damn good, but I totally agree with you about Infiniti, and Nissan in general.

It's like it's their goal as a company to make the ugliest cars ever conceived: The Juke, The Cube, the Murano, The Infiniti <Anything>, even the GT-R is probably the most robotic, uninspired looking supercar ever made, and the Z cars are all over the place.

N-Bomb

Because BMW has never released a M3 with a bulge before...

BEWkT.png

... or made the body wider to fit bigger wheels and engine. Nope. Not at all.

Obviously they did. Doesn't mean they should have (@ hood). As to the wider body, I have no problems with that. I like a wide-track. But 20" wheels are ridiculous. I feel self-conscious with 17s on mine. Wish I could fit 16s. Maybe one day.

I guess I just remember the days when BMWs were more about doing than looking. When the only way to tell an M5 from a regular 5 series was the badge on the trunk. If you want crass performance, there are plenty of other marques that could have served that up. I always felt that BMW had a bit more class. Past tense, I guess.

That sign was one day from retirement. :(

Best.

AlphaSnake

Obviously they did. Doesn't mean they should have (@ hood). As to the wider body, I have no problems with that. I like a wide-track. But 20" wheels are ridiculous. I feel self-conscious with 17s on mine. Wish I could fit 16s. Maybe one day.

I guess I just remember the days when BMWs were more about doing than looking. When the only way to tell an M5 from a regular 5 series was the badge on the trunk. If you want crass performance, there are plenty of other marques that could have served that up. I always felt that BMW had a bit more class. Past tense, I guess.

Uhhh...they HAD to change the hood of the M3 otherwise the standard hood of the 3-series wouldn't close.

Please stop, man. You're the only person to criticize these cars the way you specifically do. It's almost mind boggling what upsets you, as if you were stuck in the 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom