• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requiem

Dude, never buy a German luxoboat out of warranty. You're 24 and you need a 'step up'? I know a maxima isn't exactly exciting, but if it's what you have already, keep it until you can get something you really want without any major compromises.

Well I want a new car so my logic is if I'm going to get another car it has to be better in every way possible, hence "step up"...

Yes. A ton of it. My fiance used to have an A4 2.0T. I used to have a last gen Audi A6 4.2. And leased a 2012 A6 3.0T (until I transfered the lease over to my dad when I got a Jaguar XF).

I am not a fan of Audi's 2.0s at all. They seem to be alarmingly problematic when driven a little hard - that bodes the same for VWs GTIs and such. Audi's consume oil - my 4.2 burned oil and now the 3.0T is burning oil as well - it barely has 10K miles on it. I used to have a 2001 Maxima, sold it for a 2006 350Z, then sold that for a 2010 370Z and haven't looked back. You'd be surprised how comfortable the Z rides in NYC, mine is dropped too and the ride is just superb.

If backseats are not an absolute necessity, I suggest a fully loaded 370Z. Otherwise, I don't suggest a used Audi or used BMW.

I hear you man. I definitely don't want to get stuck with massive German repair bills but I am at a loss for viable alternatives that meet my criteria (Manual, same features or better than my Maxima, 15-25K, 08 or better). Not a fan of the Z styling so that's a no go...

Any other suggestions?

ascii42

Yea I know lol....that's why I'm havin such a hard time deciding. Don't caddys have poor reliability? I haven't don't much research but I vaguely remember that sentiment

Probably no worse than the Germans in that regard, and maintenance will likely be much cheaper. It probably warrants research though, as American cars are all over the place in terms of quality. You mentioned you wanted a manual. I'm not sure how easy those are to find with a manual.

Yea I know lol....that's why I'm havin such a hard time deciding. Don't caddys have poor reliability? I haven't don't much research but I vaguely remember that sentiment

On the topic of reliability, I've had my eye on a 2012 A4 for a while but my anecdotal experiences with friends who've owned Audis in the past keeps me hesitating.

Then I came across some interesting data: http://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer

Much more interesting than the US "survey" based data because it represents real reimbursed costs and incidence rates.

Audi, MB are near the bottom of the list

I mean, my right brain still wants an A4, but can't see myself rolling the dice.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
~~~

Unrelated:

Autoblog's Lincoln MKZ Review:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/07/2013-lincoln-mkz-first-drive-review-video/

03-2013-lincoln-mkz-fd-1354841405.jpg

Honestly? I like the sheet metal. It's too bad that it seems paired with a mediocre heart and interior.

Skunkers

Not that bad really, better than ze Germans and cheaper to fix. If I were in your shoes a late model TL Type-S would be exactly what I would choose, though actually locating one in manual could be a challenge depending on your location.

matmanx1

Consumer Reports (depending on how much stock you put in their data) actually lists the non turbo 1 and 3 series BMW's of the past few years as being average or above average in reliability. It's really only the turbo cars that have had the consistent issues with injectors, high pressure fuel pumps and in some cases, the turbos themselves.

BMW has been making that inline 6 that's in the 2011 and earlier 3 series and in the current 1 series for a very long time and the powertrains in those cars are solid. I wouldn't think that a well maintained non turbo 1 or 3 series from the past couple of years would be an unsafe bet for a used car.

On the topic of reliability, I've had my eye on a 2012 A4 for a while but my anecdotal experiences with friends who've owned Audis in the past keeps me hesitating.

Then I came across some interesting data: http://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer

Much more interesting than the US "survey" based data because it represents real reimbursed costs and incidence rates.

Audi, MB are near the bottom of the list

I mean, my right brain still wants an A4, but can't see myself rolling the dice.

For what it's worth I drive a 2010 A4 (B8) and I've had zero problems with the car. Granted I've also got the "Audi Care" maintenance for the first 50,000 miles (22,XXX now).

No minor issues either and unlike the previous engines I've also had no issues regarding oil.

N-Bomb

Uhhh...they HAD to change the hood of the M3 otherwise the standard hood of the 3-series wouldn't close.

Please stop, man. You're the only person to criticize these cars the way you specifically do. It's almost mind boggling what upsets you, as if you were stuck in the 90s.

There's nothing wrong with 90s styling when it came to fun cars. Yes, econoboxes in the 90s were blah, but the styling of some of the Japanese greats of the time has yet to be equalled.

I might be the only one, but then again maybe I'm the only one who's not willing to compromise. I never associated BMW with 'crass moneyboy' when I was younger, but it seems that's the demo they're targeting now. Less class.

One of the reasons I got my Impreza is because the caveman thuggery look is so blatant on it, you can't help but love it. However, that look has no place in a BMW, by my view.

FStop7

Banned
There's nothing wrong with 90s styling when it came to fun cars. Yes, econoboxes in the 90s were blah, but the styling of some of the Japanese greats of the time has yet to be equalled.

I might be the only one, but then again maybe I'm the only one who's not willing to compromise. I never associated BMW with 'crass moneyboy' when I was younger, but it seems that's the demo they're targeting now. Less class.

One of the reasons I got my Impreza is because the caveman thuggery look is so blatant on it, you can't help but love it. However, that look has no place in a BMW, by my view.

I don't understand what you're arguing and I'm not sure that you do, either.

E30 M3. Big wing. Exaggerated bodywork. Bigass fender flares.

1988_BMW_e30_M3_Driving_Event_Track_Car_Rear_1.jpg

E36 M3 LTW. Big wing. Exaggerated bodywork. Checkered flag decals. Bigass fender flares. The non LTW is essentially the same with a shorter wing and minus the decals.

bmwe36m3p3c.jpg

E46 M3 CSL. 19" wheels. Whale tail trunk. Non-functional rear diffuser. Non-functional carbon fiber front flippers. Non functional side scoop. Hood bulge.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
welcome to terminal fstop7!

/cmnd

/run smackdown

successful_

/remove "n-bomb"

successful_

N-Bomb

I don't understand what you're arguing and I'm not sure that you do, either.

E30 M3. Big wing. Exaggerated bodywork. Bigass fender flares.

1988_BMW_e30_M3_Driving_Event_Track_Car_Rear_1.jpg

Nothing wrong with fender flares (although that's more of a widebody). Not exactly a huge wing. You're telling me it came from the factory with that paint job and roll cage?

E36 M3 LTW. Big wing. Exaggerated bodywork. Checkered flag decals. Bigass fender flares. The non LTW is essentially the same with a shorter wing and minus the decals.

bmwe36m3p3c.jpg

Wow, a homologation version meant for racers. Next.

E46 M3 CSL. 19" wheels. Whale tail trunk. Non-functional rear diffuser. Non-functional carbon fiber front flippers. Non functional side scoop. Hood bulge.

bmw-e46-m3-csl1.JPG

Limited edition. Also those are the side vents I said were least objectionable. That's where the M3 started going wrong, anyway. And when did functional become a point of contention? I never said it was bad for being ricey or non-functional, only for lacking class and looking obnoxious.

The E36 was the benchmark. I can't believe I have to argue with all the yuppies in here who seem to think that you have to look like a thug to be a badass.

FStop7

Banned
Nothing wrong with fender flares (although that's more of a widebody). Not exactly a huge wing. You're telling me it came from the factory with that paint job and roll cage?

I never even mentioned the paint or roll cage. Here's a regular one. It's still greatly exaggerated compared to a regular 3 series.

Wow, a homologation version meant for racers. Next.

Why did you ignore where I said that the only visual differences between the LTW and regular M3 were the wing and stickers? The exaggerated body work (which you whined about over the E92) is there, etc.

mmm3.jpg
A regular E36 M3.

Limited edition. Also those are the side vents I said were least objectionable. That's where the M3 started going wrong, anyway. And when did functional become a point of contention? I never said it was bad for being ricey or non-functional, only for lacking class and looking obnoxious.

Again, I don't understand your point and I don't think you do, either. I've clearly shown that the older M cars are just as exaggerated as the newer ones.

The E36 was the benchmark. I can't believe I have to argue with all the yuppies in here who seem to think that you have to look like a thug to be a badass.

1. LOL. Where do you get off making presumptions about what anyone here is, who they are, etc? You mentioned "crass" in an earlier post. You are crass. You come off like an elitist prick with a stick up your ass who wildly mouths off about shit you have no experience with outside this thread.

2. Tell me more about your extensive knowledge of BMW M cars. I've actually owned, modified, and tracked four of them. How about you?

N-Bomb

I never even mentioned the paint or roll cage. Here's a regular one. It's still greatly exaggerated compared to a regular 3 series.

Greatly exaggerated? That's still well within the bounds of tasteful.

Why did you ignore where I said that the only visual differences between the LTW and regular M3 were the wing and stickers? The exaggerated body work (which you whined about over the E92) is there, etc.

A regular E36 M3.

Also looks fine.

Again, I don't understand your point and I don't think you do, either. I've clearly shown that the older M cars are just as exaggerated as the newer ones.

1. LOL. Where do you get off making presumptions about what anyone here is, who they are, etc? You mentioned "crass" in an earlier post. You are crass. You come off like an elitist prick with a stick up your ass who wildly mouths off about shit you have no experience with outside this thread.

2. Tell me more about your extensive knowledge of BMW M cars. I've actually owned, modified, and tracked four of them. How about you?

Of course I'm crass, but I don't pretend not to be, and I know it when I see it. The present BMW seems to be more about the Jersey Shore than Savile Row.

One does not need to have mechanical experience to discuss styling, and that's what the discussion is/was about - styling.

The kind of body work on display on the new M3 should really be left to the likes of Wings West and Veilside.

Circle T

In a clear act of defiance against all of N-Bomb's guidance, BMW has officially released the first images and video of the new M6 Gran Coupe. We are all free to hold our own opinions about vehicles, so I will just politely say that I disagree with everything N-Bomb says with regards to modern BMWs. Beyond that, the 6-series Gran Coupe is one of the best looking vehicles to come around in many years, and the new M version is just that extra bit special, IMO. Amazing all around....

{Quoted images due to huge size}

Video as well.....

http://youtu.be/rPMMoS66geQ

paskowitz

While it is great to have more choice, and more RWD high HP cars are never really a bad thing, I do feel like the M brand has really diluted in the past couple of years.

N-Bomb

In a clear act of defiance against all of N-Bomb's guidance, BMW has officially released the first images and video of the new M6 Gran Coupe. We are all free to hold our own opinions about vehicles, so I will just politely say that I disagree with everything N-Bomb says with regards to modern BMWs. Beyond that, the 6-series Gran Coupe is one of the best looking vehicles to come around in many years, and the new M version is just that extra bit special, IMO. Amazing all around....

{Quoted images due to huge size}

Video as well.....

http://youtu.be/rPMMoS66geQ

Aside from the idiotic character line down the side and the fact that is't not remotely a coupe, it's not horrible looking. The front air dam still looks like a toothy grin though. Especially the front. I can't be the only one seeing big white teeth.

ascii42

Aside from the idiotic character line down the side and the fact that is't not remotely a coupe, it's not horrible looking. The front air dam still looks like a toothy grin though. Especially the front. I can't be the only one seeing big white teeth.
SAE defines a coupe as a car with less than 33 cubic feet of rear passenger volume. I have no idea where to go about finding that information, but I'd guess the Gran Coupe is beyond that. Still a sweet name though.

SAE defines a coupe as a car with less than 33 cubic feet of rear passenger volume. I have no idea where to go about finding that information, but I'd guess the Gran Coupe is beyond that. Still a sweet name though.

I guess that's why it's called a Gran Coupe? Because that definitely is not your conventional coupe.

Also more fuel to the fire: I also disagree with N-Bomb's opinion on the M4 render.

bcl0328

While it is great to have more choice, and more RWD high HP cars are never really a bad thing, I do feel like the M brand has really diluted in the past couple of years.

of course it has. even worse, BMW puts ///M badges on door sills and steering wheels of m-sport cars.

ascii42

I guess that's why it's called a Gran Coupe? Because that definitely is not your conventional coupe.

Also more fuel to the fire: I also disagree with N-Bomb's opinion on the M4 render.

Perhaps. Basically, the point is, a 4 door car can be a coupe, and a 2 door car can be a sedan. The Monte Carlo is a good example of a 2 door sedan. I don't think the 6 Gran Coupe would actually qualify as a coupe, but a 4 Gran Coupe might.

N-Bomb

That may be, but this is a conflict between engineering definitions and popular knowledge. To most people, a coupe is a two-door, and a sedan is four. Most people probably can't tell you what makes a hatch not a wagon, for example. :\

Thank you.

ascii42

That may be, but this is a conflict between engineering definitions and popular knowledge. To most people, a coupe is a two-door, and a sedan is four. Most people probably can't tell you what makes a hatch not a wagon, for example. :\

Well that's easy. If it doesn't have fake wood panelling on the outside and a rear-facing third row, it ain't a wagon.

1996_buick_roadmaster-pic-25285.jpeg

ascii42

I really miss having a car with a frunk, there's just something so absurd about storing things up front that makes it a blast to use. Also you tend to get people looking at you like you're a crazy person when you toss groceries under the hood.

One of the reasons I'd like to own a Corvair wagon. You get storage in the front and back.

Test drove an Audi S4 and A6 ( no S6 in stock :()

The S4 is obviously more sporty but the interior of the 6 and 7 series is clearly a notch above.

I'm trying to step from a Z06 to a 4 door fun car but I might just wait for a C7 at this point....

ascii42

Holy what in the what? They made a Corvair wagon? I had no idea about that and it sounds completely awesome! Would you even need a heater with that sort of setup or would you just rev the engine to warm up the interior?

Yep. Only for two years though. It was called the Lakewood:
1961_Chevrolet_Corvair_Lakewood_500.jpg

1962_Chevrolet_Corvair_Lakewood_station_wagon.JPG

Test drove an Audi S4 and A6 ( no S6 in stock :()

The S4 is obviously more sporty but the interior of the 6 and 7 series is clearly a notch above.

I'm trying to step from a Z06 to a 4 door fun car but I might just wait for a C7 at this point....

If your primary concern is the interior, I don't think the C7 is going to beat the Audis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom