• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally could never confuse this:

download_image.php

with this:

2010-camaro-rear.jpg

matmanx1

What is the fascination these days with adding lines everywhere? I think the Stingray looks tough but my eye has a tough time focusing on it properly because their are line and angles everywhere. I can't say I like this new design direction at all.

What is the fascination these days with adding lines everywhere? I think the Stingray looks tough but my eye has a tough time focusing on it properly because their are line and angles everywhere. I can't say I like this new design direction at all.

So I bet you're not a fan of this?

ferrari-f12-berlinetta-xl.jpg

coldfoot

Banned
As someone who is definitely NO fan of Vettes and thinks they're ugly with a crappy interior, that C7 looks amazing, as if it's ready to battle the Porsche's of the world in style and refinement this time and not just performance.
It's gorgeous, and I think the Ferrari FF is fugly.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
006-2014-chevrolet-corvette.jpg

Not bad, not bad at all!

I admit the close ups of JUST the driver side With great lighting look better than older vettes, but here is what it looks like IRL:

33_2014_chevrolet_corvette_reveal.jpg

Dat plastic. That is an awful dash. It is like they literally can't help themselves.

Everything else about it fucking rules.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Yeah, they took some design cues from the F-Type and then went, "okay, our job is done here. How cheaply can we make this?"

lol

TylerD

Yeah, they took some design cues from the F-Type and then went, "okay, our job is done here. How cheaply can we make this?"

lol

Because they have to if they want to keep the car in the target price range. The red and black is not so good but the pic you posted looks much better.

Much, much better than this:

Because they have to if they want to keep the car in the target price range. The red and black is not so good but the pic you posted looks much better.

Much, much better than this:

The fact that they finally dropped the Malibu steering wheel makes, by itself, a world of difference.

The C7's fake carbon-fiber trim sure does it no favor, though.

Dead Man

Can't say I'm a fan. Looks too much like someone took a C6 and dropped some vents on it. I was hoping for more evolution in the body styling, but less ZR1 type rubbish. Got the opposite :( C6 for me.

TylerD

The fact that they finally dropped the Malibu steering wheel makes, by itself, a world of difference.

The C7's fake carbon-fiber trim sure does it no favor, though.

It may be real CF, the interior discussion portion of Car and Driver interview said that materials are what they appear to be. They did mention cf in the interior.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Well the new Q50 is a massive disappointment. It's still the same VQ37...wtf.

At least they've included the awesome hybrid car that puts out over 350HP and uses the VQ35.

gcubed

i was looking at getting an is250 at some point this year, but seeing a few pics of the grille is... discouraging. Does auto-gaf know of any leaks besides the presser shots or do i have to wait until tomorrow to deem it ugly or not

Well the new Q50 is a massive disappointment. It's still the same VQ37...wtf.

VQ is a great engine; extremely reliable and tested. But dat fuel economy. Sucks big time.

i was looking at getting an is250 at some point this year, but seeing a few pics of the grille is... discouraging. Does auto-gaf know of any leaks besides the presser shots or do i have to wait until tomorrow to deem it ugly or not

Have you seen the interior yet?

Yeah...

gcubed

VQ is a great engine; extremely reliable and tested. But dat fuel economy. Sucks big time.

Have you seen the interior yet?

Yeah...

Just the press shots, which i'm hoping looks nicer IRL. I'm guessing it will look just as bad, but it can't be any worse than the current interior.

paskowitz

YXEcf.png

ibr0W1DJikQj1V.gif

C7 Stingray Trial Mountain and Deep Forest

Everybody is welcome to join.
BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
Next Sunday 1/20

Allowed cars:
Only the new C7 Corvette Stingray will be allowed.

Tuning allowed:
No tuning is allowed.​
Tyre Selection
Sports hard​
Track:
Trial Mountain and Deep Forest​
Laps:
15 laps per trac
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Light​
Assists
ABS
TCS
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: Normal
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip reduction: Real
Players Participating (0 / 16):
  • 01 -
  • 02 -
  • 03 -
  • 04 -
  • 05 -
  • 06 -
  • 07 -
  • 08 -
  • 09 -
  • 10 -
  • 11 -
  • 12 -
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -
  • R1 -
  • R2 -
  • R3 -
  • R4 -
  • R5 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT
Race 2 quali will start promptly after race 1 finishes. After quali, race 2 will start immediately.

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced.
Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed.
Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Races will be held in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.
important.jpg

Viperbah

C7 looks good, I almost like it more than the new viper.

C7 Z06 will be mine!

Bob Lutz has apparently put a Corvette ZR1 engine into a Fisker Karma and called it a Destino. It's expected to cost around $180k, which is a lot of money, considering the ZR1's powertrain is probably cheaper than the electric engine, gasoline engine, and battery pack.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/14/vl-automotive-destino-detroit-2013/

Bob Lutz is awesome, I recommend his book. If you have any interest in business or cars you will like it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IYJEA6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

KingGondo

Banned
I brought up Audis to my dad, and he said "I'm not driving an Audi, they're pieces of junk."

*sigh* Maybe this whole enterprise isn't worth it. Consumer Reports lists reliability on the A6 as "average," but it doesn't sound like there's anything I can say.

Ah well. If he wants to throw $55k at a more powerful version of his current car (an Acura TL), he can go for it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I brought up Audis to my dad, and he said "I'm not driving an Audi, they're pieces of junk."

*sigh* Maybe this whole enterprise isn't worth it. Consumer Reports lists reliability on the A6 as "average," but it doesn't sound like there's anything I can say.

Ah well. If he wants to throw $55k at a more powerful version of his current car (an Acura TL), he can go for it.

Time to step away and let him make his own mistakes.

iamblades

I really like the new vette design. I echo the complaints about the square tail lights though. And IMO it isn't a stingray unless its got a split window, but I doubt they could get away with that given current safety regs.

Brera

Banned
As a hatchback, that Corolla would look pretty good, like the outgoing Honda Civic.

Good thing we don't get these horrid "sedan" versions in the UK.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Cadillac has managed to take the CTS Coupe and make the proportions look more awkward with the new ELR. I do like the Cadillac script on the taillight, though. The interior looks nice. I especially like the brown seats, but woodgrain and carbon fiber next to each other is a new one.

I like it. genuinely considering the sedan too,

Returners

Hey guys, I'm thinking about the Nissan Rogue FWD vs. AWD.

How is Nissan's AWD system? I'm in Canada, so well AWD is a plus for me, but it is also 3k extra.

iamblades

Hey guys, I'm thinking about the Nissan Rogue FWD vs. AWD.

How is Nissan's AWD system? I'm in Canada, so well AWD is a plus for me, but it is also 3k extra.

I've heard good things about the AWD Juke, and the rogue has the same system in a slightly bigger car. The only downside is that you are stuck with the CVT, but Nissan's is supposed to be the best in the business, so if you don't mind that...

Returners

I've heard good things about the AWD Juke, and it's the same system in a slightly bigger car. The only downside is that you are stuck with the CVT, but Nissan's is supposed to be the best in the business, so if you don't mind that...

I could live with the CVT for the fuel economy and I've driven a Subaru CVT before. But seems to me it's AWD is not all the time.

Really want to wait till the 2013 RAV4 but there are no deals (stupid new design and all) and it comes in February.

iamblades

I could live with the CVT for the fuel economy and I've driven a Subaru CVT before. But seems to me it's AWD is not all the time.

Really want to wait till the 2013 RAV4 but there are no deals (stupid new design and all) and it comes in February.

Yeah it isn't, its more of a rally type AWD when you need it system, not a real offroad type system. But that's really what you want for basic shitty road conditions. The weight penalty doesn't seem to be huge(its like 150 lbs according to Nissan), so it's just a matter if it's worth the cash for you.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I finally got a chance to drive G37 the other day. I literally loved it. Gas be damned, I'm happy that they're keeping VQ37 because really, the option would be to put some stronger 3.0 turbo like in Audi A6 (which would add to cost massively) or to have something weaker that uses less gas. I have yet to see a non turbo V6 that I liked better than what I've seen of that G. Today I tried 2013 mercedes C300 which 248HP/251NM V6, and no... there's no feeling that your blood shifts backwards when you press on the gas like there is in G37.

Generally I love the look of Q50, inside and out. The interior looks like a good update (which was definitely needed). Maybe a little too techy for my blood with two screens, but I'm happy that the sound volume physical knob is there, and that the nav knob is moved next to shifter. I just hope there's an aluminum trim available instead of the wood. Kind of have to snicker at how new Sonata borrowed 90% of its interior redesign cues from current G, and now this comes along as if mocking them saying "no, this is how you should have done it".

Oh and yeah, new IS, holy crap what were the they thinking.

Enron

Banned
I finally got a chance to drive G37 the other day. I literally loved it. Gas be damned, I'm happy that they're keeping VQ37 because really, the option would be to put some stronger 3.0 turbo like in Audi A6 (which would add to cost massively) or to have something weaker that uses less gas. I have yet to see a non turbo V6 that I liked better than what I've seen of that G. Today I tried 2013 mercedes C300 which 248HP/251NM V6, and no... there's no feeling that your blood shifts backwards when you press on the gas like there is in G37.

Generally I love the look of Q50, inside and out. The interior looks like a good update (which was definitely needed). Maybe a little too techy for my blood with two screens, but I'm happy that the sound volume physical knob is there, and that the nav knob is moved next to shifter. I just hope there's an aluminum trim available instead of the wood. Kind of have to snicker at how new Sonata borrowed 90% of its interior redesign cues from current G, and now this comes along as if mocking them saying "no, this is how you should have done it".

Oh and yeah, new IS, holy crap what were the they thinking.

My buddy that has a g37 absolutely loves it; screw the q50 - hopefully this pushes the prices on used 37s a bit lower when i'm ready to upgrade from my 35.....

Returners

Actually between the VW Tiguan and the Nissan Rogue, which one would you recommend? I'm leasing and the rate is the same for both.

Is VW's AWD better than Nissan's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom