• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
In the last few days I tried driving the following:

2013 Infiniti G37x - Loved it. Strangely enough, I never drove G37 (only 35). I know it's basically the same car that was there in 2008 with some changes to the interior trim (instrument cluster looks nicer) and package options added over time (HID is now standard). It drives like a dream, controls really well, suspension feels great, and the sense of acceleration is insane for a sedan, I could feel my blood being pushed back towards the seat. Mind you, I already drive EX35 on a daily basis, but the new engine and lighter weight really do mean a lot. Suspension is also better than on EX, I guess they had to firm it up a bit too much to prevent lean on a taller car, and they can relax it a bit on G. Biggest complaint about this car is that the nav cluster feels dated and non-premium. They're using this exact cluster on Nissan line and it's been overdue for an update. I'm pretty sure this year G (sorry, Q!) will receive this kind of styling update, although I don't think I'll like what they'll do to exterior.

2012 Mercedes C300 - Sadly they didn't have 2013 for test drive, as 2013 model has new and improved engine, but everything else is the same in 2012. I say sadly, because the V6 that's in 2012 model is just not quite enough to be enjoyable, and now I have no idea how much of an improvement the new engine is. Car is beautiful inside and out. Even if interior materials could be better in places, everything is done so tastefully that's it's a joy too look at. Leather used on the wheel also feels fantastic. Compared to Infiniti cars, the wheel on Merc turns a bit too easily IMO, and you don't have as much of a sense of what the car is doing as you're turning the wheel. Brakes were also a bit weird, as they seemed to stop the car too easily when it was going slow, and too slowly when it was going faster, practically the opposite of Infiniti. I didn't really like that, but I guess it's a change in pressure on the pedal that you can get used to. Can't stress enough how great the new interior looks though, and there's a definite sense of isolation from the outside world when you're in this car.

2013 Focus (Titanium) - This car surprised me so much, I wasn't expecting it to be nearly as good as it was. The sales guy has directed me to some backroad and basically told me to go crazy, which I did, and the car was obedient that I couldn't believe. There's of course lack of power when you're trying to accelerate quickly, but once it gets going, it's a joy to drive. I even went crazy over some partial ice on their parking lot, and it just never gave out, I never felt I lost the control even for a moment. Titanium trim also has everything but a kitchen sink installed in it, including automatic parking, tons of electronic gadgetry, it almost feels like too much TBH, everything lights up during the night, two colors creens, etc. I guess that would me my biggest complaint about it, the interior design feels overdone, like they didn't know when to stop adding details. Leather used on wheel and seats is good but it feels non-premium (you can feel the stitching on the wheel too), which is to be expected I guess. In Canada Ford has $4000 cash back on this car right now, so I think you can buy it for around $25000 loaded with single every option it has (so it would mean probably 24000 when you remove auto parking option for example), and that's before even negotiating for cheaper price. Kind of crazy to be honest.

All that said I think I'll just keep paying off EX35 until it's completely paid off (I'm not quite sure if either G37 or C300 are really worth switching to), and consider getting Focus in the future if/when we need second car.

All the wheels available on the 2013 Fusion are terrible except for the 19" that you can get on the Titanium. One of the main reasons I went with the Titanium -- also the 2.0L engine that doesn't catch on fire (knock on wood).
This can't be stressed enough. The car really looks wrong and disproportional with smaller wheels.

Yeah, I will be going with this hopefully end of summer this year

gt500_zps2bd03fbd.jpg

I don't know, maybe I'm used to starring at the one in front of me, but all black doesn't look good on it. We have a bright green Boss right next to it too.

Aguirre

All the wheels available on the 2013 Fusion are terrible except for the 19" that you can get on the Titanium. One of the main reasons I went with the Titanium -- also the 2.0L engine that doesn't catch on fire (knock on wood).

12007067-2013-ford-fusion-titanium-awd-test-drive.jpg

Styling preferences aside, if you think the new Accord is as good looking as the new Fusion then you might want to get your eyes checked out.

is it just me or does that look like an aston martin?

Viperbah

I don't know, maybe I'm used to starring at the one in front of me, but all black doesn't look good on it. We have a bright green Boss right next to it too.

Yeah, I have yet to see the color live.

Have you driven one? Any impressions?

I will be selling my Gen IV viper sometime this year. Also, I'm getting married and want a back seat.

I will be selling my Gen IV viper sometime this year. Also, I'm getting married and want a back seat.

Add a luggage rack, instant back seat.

In serious note, why not a e90 m3?
Going from a Viper to a Mustang GT500 I imagine your going to be disappointed in how terrible it handles.

2013 Focus (Titanium) - This car surprised me so much, I wasn't expecting it to be nearly as good as it was. The sales guy has directed me to some backroad and basically told me to go crazy, which I did, and the car was obedient that I couldn't believe. There's of course lack of power when you're trying to accelerate quickly, but once it gets going, it's a joy to drive. I even went crazy over some partial ice on their parking lot, and it just never gave out, I never felt I lost the control even for a moment. Titanium trim also has everything but a kitchen sink installed in it, including automatic parking, tons of electronic gadgetry, it almost feels like too much TBH, everything lights up during the night, two colors creens, etc. I guess that would me my biggest complaint about it, the interior design feels overdone, like they didn't know when to stop adding details. Leather used on wheel and seats is good but it feels non-premium (you can feel the stitching on the wheel too), which is to be expected I guess. In Canada Ford has $4000 cash back on this car right now, so I think you can buy it for around $25000 loaded with single every option it has (so it would mean probably 24000 when you remove auto parking option for example), and that's before even negotiating for cheaper price. Kind of crazy to be honest.

All that said I think I'll just keep paying off EX35 until it's completely paid off (I'm not quite sure if either G37 or C300 are really worth switching to), and consider getting Focus in the future if/when we need second car.

My previous car was totaled while parked on the street in front of my house 2 months ago (2010 Kia Soul) and I ended up picking up a 2013 Focus Titanium hatchback. The car is an absolute joy to drive and still fills me with happiness some 2 months later even with the "newness" starting to wear off. It's an incredibly well made car.

LOL, the Cobra is the one car no one can jump in. The engine is loud though, but it's 650 horsepower.

Smokey

Drove a Fusion rental car this past weekend.

That's a damn fine car for that segment. If I was looking for a car in that price range, I'd definitely recommend it. It's reputation precedes it.

Fiance's sister works for Ford. She just bought a new 2013 Fusion Titanium model and drove it from Detroit to Houston for Christmas. She's pretty happy with it. I'm not a fan of the back of the car tho

Viperbah

Add a luggage rack, instant back seat.

In serious note, why not a e90 m3?
Going from a Viper to a Mustang GT500 I imagine your going to be disappointed in how terrible it handles.

I like the M3, but just isn't my style.

I hate to sell the viper, I really don't want to, but paying for a wedding and a new house this year I will need the extra cash. My hope is the be in another car by the end of the summer. I could just get another Gen IV viper or another C6 Z, but wanted to do something different. The backseat thing is not a requirement, but it would be nice.

Gt500 is attractive to me because it's cheap(for that level of performance) and easy to mod. Exhaust, tune and lower pulley 13's are going bottom 10s and trapping 135-140, and those mods all together would maybe set you back 1.5k.

Also, I could wait to see what the C7 looks like or could wait even longer for the C7 Z...but I don't think I could go without a car for that long.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
If anyone cares, production on the MY2013 Nissan Leaf started in Tennessee, and here's a comprehensive list of the changes.

http://insideevs.com/2013-nissan-leaf-overview-and-specifications/

New stuff includes two new colors, standard leather and 17-inch wheels on the SL model, a new entry level S model, available 6.6 kW charger that cuts charging time down to 4 hours, available Bose stereo and Around View monitor for the SV and SL models, a percentage meter on the charge level indicator, more cargo space, 100 pounds less weight, available hybrid heater system to increase heater efficiency, new interior and exterior colors, and an option to add more aggressive regen braking.

Pricing and range should be announced next week at the Detroit Auto Show.

Here's a YouTube clip of the Leaf being made in Tennessee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbJoG4-K-0

equap

Banned
any of you guys interested in the new Mazda 6? I really like how it looks...I hope I can test drive it soon.

I really want to get rid of my GTI for this car. The wagon version looks good, too.

mazda6top1.jpg

ascii42

Yeah, I like the Mazda6, and I've been wanting a wagon for a while. Part of me wishes I had bought a Roadmaster Wagon instead of the Riviera. Would have been more useful (and more V8 powered :p). As far as buying a Mazda6 wagon goes, I think I'm going to have a hard time convincing myself to trade in the Malibu any time soon. My Olds needs some work done on it. I should really put my money towards that.

And that Jeep (Jeeps?) is awesome.

N-Bomb

If anyone cares, production on the MY2013 Nissan Leaf started in Tennessee, and here's a comprehensive list of the changes.

http://insideevs.com/2013-nissan-leaf-overview-and-specifications/

New stuff includes two new colors, standard leather and 17-inch wheels on the SL model, a new entry level S model, available 6.6 kW charger that cuts charging time down to 4 hours, available Bose stereo and Around View monitor for the SV and SL models, a percentage meter on the charge level indicator, more cargo space, 100 pounds less weight, available hybrid heater system to increase heater efficiency, new interior and exterior colors, and an option to add more aggressive regen braking.

Don't care about colours and leather, but good moves, I think.

any of you guys interested in the new Mazda 6? I really like how it looks...I hope I can test drive it soon.

mazda6top1.jpg

I think it's a really attractive car aside from those front wheel arches and the HUGE DOGFACE GRILL they're putting on everything now. :\

I really want to get rid of my GTI for this car. The wagon version looks good, too.

If you're going to test drive this, don't skip a test drive of a Kia Optima SX or SXL as well.

Stopped in at a Kia and then a Mazda dealership last weekend while I was out. Couldn't drive the 6 yet, but I drove an SXL yesterday and it was a blast. Engine is very smooth, very good power, great interior.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

mazda6top1.jpg

Bluetec version should be impressive and I am curious about Mazdaspeed and AWD variants in the future. Although AWD never seems to make it in the US sedans/wagons.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So my wife and I are starting to think about our first car purchase/lease. Neither of us have owned a car for years (we live in the city, don't need one but are expecting a baby sometime in the next year) and don't have a lot of experience buying cars. I'm hoping some folks here can steer me in the right direction.

Here are our priorities:

* Safety - obviously with a baby this is a big priority. However I think generally most cars built these days would be considered "safe."

* SUV - I don't really like SUV's, but we do need the space and my wife says it must be an SUV.

* Reliability - we want something that isn't going to require a ton of repairs over the next few years.

* Cost - if we buy, I'd like to limit it to the low 20k's (or lower if possible). If we lease, I would like to avoid paying more than $350-ish a month if possible. I also don't want to spend a lot on maintenance/repair, so something European might not be a great option.

* Gas mileage - I know an SUV is not going to get great mileage, but would like to get something as efficient as possible

* Space - we're going to have a kid, so that means carting around a stroller and all the other crap that comes with kids. Plus we might use it to drive up to the mountains for snowboard trips.

* Performance - this is my priority, not hers. But I don't want an underpowered SUV. A little zip would be good.

So I've heard Ford Edge's are supposed to be good, and I think with a lease or used (2011 maybe?) purchase we could afford one. I think they are cool looking too, for what that's worth. What else should I be looking at in that mid-size SUV class and approximate price point?

I'm a little torn on the lease/buy option. I don't want to buy a new car, so that's out. But I do like the idea of driving a new car, and getting a new one in 3 years. On the other hand, buying a good used car would probably make sense financially, and if and when we get a second car ("my" car) I could lease a nicer sedan. So the SUV will be the daily driver family car, which might get a little more wear and tear than the second car (which is a couple years off).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I bought a 2013 Ford Edge Sport the other day to drive when it's rainy or snowy or whatnot (other auto is a 2013 Camaro ZL1 that doesn't play nice when it's wet out). I test drove a lot of mid-sized SUVs that the Edge was the clear winner in my book.

I felt the Mazda CX-5 had less than zero horsepower. I could literally mash the accelerator to the floor and it would just fizzle and sit there then start to slowly accelerate. Now, granted this was probably the point, as it had killer mpg, but at 155hp or some such, it was terrible.

The Honda Pilot was pretty great in all facets. Ultimately, I had the same problem with it that I have with all Hondas (having owned two in my lifetime): the interior is just so spartan. It's functional, no doubt, but I just do not like the dash layout and such. Great vehicle, though.

Drove a Ford Escape and a Hyundai Tucson as well. The Hyundai was pretty great, but I just didn't like it's exterior looks. If it weren't for that, I would have bought it. The Escape was great as well, but to me the Edge edged it. In the end, I'm happy with the Edge. The Sport version has the same V6 as the V6 Mustang, and it has a lot of pep. It also went through a recent ice and snow storm with surprising ease. The controls are awesome and it has a lot of cargo room imo.

Side Note: I also drove a Honda Ridgeline just because I happened to see one sitting there when test driving the Pilot. Man, I was kinda hoping I'd like it, but I didn't at all. Felt bulky for how much power you get, and once again the interiors didn't impress.

KingGondo

Banned
So I'm probably gonna go test drive some cars with my dad soon.

On the list:

Acura RL (since the RLX isn't out yet)
Audi A6 3.0T
Jaguar XF

Any other suggestions? He might be open to trying a Mercedes or BMW too.

So I'm probably gonna go test drive some cars with my dad soon.

On the list:

Acura RL (since the RLX isn't out yet)
Audi A6 3.0T
Jaguar XF

Any other suggestions? He might be open to trying a Mercedes or BMW too.

Seems like an adequate list. Maybe add a 550i or something like that. Just for good measure.

Oh, and put a Cadillac on that list. You live in 'Murica.

ascii42

This is what the new Merc's front splitter reminds me of:

That's...amazing.

Seems like an adequate list. Maybe add a 550i or something like that. Just for good measure.

Cadillac doesn't really have a proper competitor for those. The ATS is too small, and the CTS is getting old and sort of was between sizes. The next CTS will be a proper competitor, and should be revealed sometime soon, I'd think.

KingGondo

Banned

Thanks. I'll consider it.

I have a feeling we won't need to test drive past those three though. I saw a black A6 driving around the other day and the thing is so... damn... beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom