• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just confirmed with my wife, this will be our next car. I'm still waiting on pricing to be announced to see if we will get the Overland or the Limited. I would love to have the Summit or SRT8, but I bet the price would put us over our budget.

I had a friend who had the SRT8 and he ended up trading it for a Bentley. After a few weeks with the Bentley he said he missed the power in the Jeep.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
If you really think more than one and a half tons is light, you've got your head in the clouds. I mean come on. A Ford Fusion base model is only 100-200 lbs heavier. A family sedan.

Let's get real here. You may like it, it may be a fine car, but it is heavy. You can't argue this except relative to a Ford F-150 or something.

Your definitions are all out of whack.

Even the Ferrari Enzo and Carrera GT weighed 3000-3100lbs, which you'd consider "mid-weight at best", approaching "heavy". Porsche Cayman? 2950lbs, aka "mid-weight". E30 M3? 2900lbs, aka "mid-weight".

So, no, you get real.

In fact, here's a challenge: list all the two-door "sports" cars you can think of that weigh under 2800lbs built since 2000.

TCRS

Banned
Man, the current Audi A6 is probably the most beautiful car I have seen. Everytime one of them passes me at 250 km/h on the Autobahn and I see dem rear lights.. daymn. Can't get over it, what a bautiful car.

My dad got a 2013 Charger SRT8 recently, gorgeous car and a lot of power too. Haven't done any 0-60 times yet but hopefully when I take a break from college I'll be able to.

Only thing bad about it: The dark paint.

It's "Jazz Blue", which looks great until you see how easily scratches show up in the sunlight.

reilo

2864lbs. Nope.

In awesome news:

Although a little bit later than expected, Mazda and Fiat have signed a final agreement that will bring a next-generation MX-5 Miata to the Japanese automaker and a new roadster to Alfa Romeo. When the proposed arrangement was announced back in May, the two automakers had hoped to seal the deal last year, but it doesn't appear that the production timeline for these cars has slipped any, with both expected to start rolling off assembly lines in 2015.

Man, the current Audi A6 is probably the most beautiful car I have seen. Everytime one of them passes me at 250 km/h on the Autobahn and I see dem rear lights.. daymn. Can't get over it, what a bautiful car.

Don't ever work on one, you will absolutely hate your life.

N-Bomb

What about a Corvette Z06, which is around 3200 lbs as well? That's about as light as you're going to get with a car with a V8.

That's fair. It's in a completely different league.

Your definitions are all out of whack.

Even the Ferrari Enzo and Carrera GT weighed 3000-3100lbs, which you'd consider "mid-weight at best", approaching "heavy". Porsche Cayman? 2950lbs, aka "mid-weight". E30 M3? 2900lbs, aka "mid-weight".

So, no, you get real.

In fact, here's a challenge: list all the two-door "sports" cars you can think of that weigh under 2800lbs built since 2000.

So the name or the power-to-weight determines if it's heavy to you? Those have nothing to do with it. A pro bodybuilder will be heavy, a figure skater will be light. That's just reality.

As to your challenge (I'm including world cars, not just USDM, and not including FWD sport compacts):

-Miata
-S2000 (I know it's 9lbs over, but fu if you think that disqualifies it)
-RX-7 FD (built till 2002)
-Elise/Exige
-NSX-R
-Silvia
-Impreza (I'm sure you won't count it as a 'sports' car though)

I want to say the Lancer, but in any good trim level, it's in heavy territory)

-VW GTI
-Integra Type-R
-Alfa Romeo 4C
-Fiat Barchetta
-Mini Cooper S
-The Toyobaru, of course.

I'm sure there are more that I can't think of... and I'm sure that there are more in the pipeline.

Stinkles

Nah son. A7. It's almost objectively beautiful, but the Citroen-y rear end is a matter of taste. When I see one approach, I am like, Daaaaamn son. But when I see one pass in my rear view, I am all

utSPE.jpg

kqQbs.jpg

reilo

2000 GTI weighs 2765lbs. 2001 GTI weighs 2860lbs. I guess the 2001 is approaching heavy.

2000 NSX weighs 3113lbs (!!!).

1995 RX-7 weighs 2858lbs.

1998 240SX weighs 2800lbs -- and was not built in the US post 1998.

You're having a tough time here, bud. I see you're listing a bunch of "middle weight" (by your own definition) cars and listing a bunch of cars developed in the middle of the 90s.

Anyway, I rest my case. Your definition of heavy/medium/light is complete bullshit/arbitrary criteria to the point where you can't even rattle off cars that actually weigh less than 2800lbs.

kharma45

Yeah I really like the rear lights on them if it's got the LED ones.

coldfoot

Banned
At 3200lbs, with airbags eveyrwhere and an interior full of upscale features, a large motor, ~50/50 weight distribution, the Z doesn't need a diet. It's pretty lightweight as is.
I think it's just par, considering that it's saving at least 100 lbs by not having rear seats.

N-Bomb

2000 GTI weighs 2765lbs. 2001 GTI weighs 2860lbs. I guess the 2001 is approaching heavy.

2000 NSX weighs 3113lbs (!!!).

1995 RX-7 weighs 2858lbs.

1998 240SX weighs 2800lbs -- and was not built in the US post 1998.

You're having a tough time here, bud. I see you're listing a bunch of "middle weight" (by your own definition) cars and listing a bunch of cars developed in the middle of the 90s.

Anyway, I rest my case. Your definition of heavy/medium/light is complete bullshit/arbitrary criteria to the point where you can't even rattle off cars that actually weigh less than 2800lbs.

Now, you said since 2000. The NSX-R is 2,712 lbs. The RX-7 Spirit-R (Type A) and Type RZ both came in at 2800.

And I said Silvia, not 240SX. Obviously you know they're related, but you should also know they're not the same car.

I'm not having a tough time at all - I know what is and what isn't. Try following your own rules, doing a little research, and reading what I wrote, son.

reilo

Cool beans, dude. How many of those cars can I buy in the US?

Pretty sure any sane person would disagree with all of your definitions.

I mean, hell. The BRZ is called "light" by everyone with a normal mind. You call it "middle weight". The whole point of that exercise was to show how you cannot even find any cars that are actually "light" by your own definition: you rattled off a bunch of "middle weight" cars.

Stinkles

I mean, hell. The BRZ is called "light" by everyone with a normal mind. You call it "middle weight". The whole point of that exercise was to show how you cannot even find any cars that are actually "light" by your own definition: you rattled off a bunch of "middle weight" cars.

k2oqr.png

N-Bomb

Remember that YOU set the rules. I made you a list based on the criteria you gave me - if you're going to change the goal posts now, of course things will be different.

coldfoot

Banned
Proper definition for cars that have to meet safety regulations and consumer creature comfort expectations for 2013:
<2500 lbs: superlight
2500-3000 lbs: light
3000-3500 lbs: middleweight
>3500 lbs: heavy

reilo

Remember that YOU set the rules. I made you a list based on the criteria you gave me - if you're going to change the goal posts now, of course things will be different.
Your reading comprehension is immaculate.

Proper definition for cars that have to meet safety regulations and consumer creature comfort expectations for 2013:
<2500 lbs: superlight
2500-3000 lbs: light
3000-3500 lbs: middleweight
>3500 lbs: heavy
What are you talking about? 3000lb cars are such pigs. Would never drive. Sharp curbweight.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Asked to post lightweight cars.

Posts stripped out JDM models with racing seats, no safety features, and no creature comforts. Can barely make the mark.

Good post. Good effort.

reilo

Asked to post lightweight cars.

Posts stripped out JDM models with racing seats, no safety features, and no creature comforts. Can barely make the mark.

Good post. Good effort.

Not to mention half of those cars were developed and released in early-to-mid-90s, but in rare cases had extended production runs into the early 2000s.

AlphaSnake

Not to mention half of those cars were developed and released in early-to-mid-90s, but in rare cases had extended production runs into the early 2000s.

Bro stfu okay? You just enjoy driving your bloated pig. You made the rules, commissioner.

Stinkles

Can't we all get back to answering my questions about Hyundai Genesis Sedans? Is that car comfortable in the long run, does it have good highway-speed acceleration band and
would you consider it heavy or light?

reilo

Can't we all get back to answering my questions about Hyundai Genesis Sedans? Is that car comfortable in the long run, does it have good highway-speed acceleration band and
would you consider it heavy or light?

I've driven an '09 one for a prolonged stretch in Texas (so that answers your speed question!). I was, to be honest, impressed. Very comfortable.

That's fair. It's in a completely different league.

So the name or the power-to-weight determines if it's heavy to you? Those have nothing to do with it. A pro bodybuilder will be heavy, a figure skater will be light. That's just reality.

As to your challenge (I'm including world cars, not just USDM, and not including FWD sport compacts):

-Miata
-S2000 (I know it's 9lbs over, but fu if you think that disqualifies it)
-RX-7 FD (built till 2002)
-Elise/Exige
-NSX-R
-Silvia
-Impreza (I'm sure you won't count it as a 'sports' car though)

I want to say the Lancer, but in any good trim level, it's in heavy territory)

-VW GTI
-Integra Type-R
-Alfa Romeo 4C
-Fiat Barchetta
-Mini Cooper S
-The Toyobaru, of course.

I'm sure there are more that I can't think of... and I'm sure that there are more in the pipeline.
Not forgetting the MR2, all Gens are under 2800lbs
Manual RX8 comes in at 2800

why does it have to be before 2000?

Hey man no one is saying the Z sucks, great car, just not called a light car..

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
What does everyone actually drive in here to have such immense sticks up their butts about curb weight being some be all, end all measuring stick? I would drive and own a 370Z. Would do so in a heartbeat, actually. Perhaps i am not snobby enough to have to have the GT-R or something...

I drive a BLOATED as all hell MKZ sedan, and I always feel like I am flying on a very smooth cloud.

ascii42

What does everyone actually drive in here to have such immense sticks up their butts about curb weight being some be all, end all measuring stick? I would drive and own a 370Z. Would do so in a heartbeat, actually. Perhaps i am not snobby enough to have to have the GT-R or something...

I drive a BLOATED as all hell MKZ sedan, and I always feel like I am flying on a very smooth cloud.

My Oldsmobile's GVWR is over 6300 lbs. I'm not sure of the curb weight, though. It seats 6 and has a huge trunk, so I'm guessing somewhere around 5000 lbs. All other cars are light and nimble to me.

On the opposite end of the curb weight spectrum, I did drive a 1600 lb. Geo Metro in the past. Guess what those two cars have in common? They both have a 3 speed automatic....

AlphaSnake

Not forgetting the MR2, all Gens are under 2800lbs
Manual RX8 comes in at 2800

why does it have to be before 2000?

Hey man no one is saying the Z sucks, great car, just not called a light car..

I don't really think anyone's arguing about a Z. It's more about N-Bomb's logic.

matmanx1

The Toyobaru Train rolls on - GM planning a RWD FR-S rival:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/17/gms-reuss-says-rear-wheel-drive-scion-fr-s-rival-on-the-list/

This is good for everyone! Maybe it'll get Hyundai and Nissan to put the next Gencoupe and Z on a diet.

Good! The more the merrier! Would love to see a revival of this type of car and lots of competition.

The Boxster I just traded in came in at 2871lbs and I would definitely consider it a light car for this day and age. Sure you can get lighter, all the way down to the metal (Lotus!) but the closer you get to the metal the more noise you hear and the less safety and comfort amenities you are going to have. It's always a tradeoff.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
all your talk about heavy sports cars lol, my ford econoline weighs 4800lbs with 145 hp, talk about power to weight (or lack of lool). Honestly guys lighten up, and stop all the arguing, agree to disagree :)

Why do you drive an econoline? Delivery driver, construction, or huge family?

I don't really think anyone's arguing about a Z. It's more about N-Bomb's logic.

I don't think his logic is too far off, maybe 2500lbs is a bit low to be considered a lightweight car since very few meet that. I'd consider anything under 2800 or so lightwieght, which includes things like the BRZ and RX-7. Up to 3200-3300 lbs is more midwieght, like the Vette and Z, and anything more is definitely heavy for a sports car.

I don't think his logic is too far off, maybe 2500lbs is a bit low to be considered a lightweight car since very few meet that. I'd consider anything under 2800 or so lightwieght, which includes things like the BRZ and RX-7. Up to 3200-3300 lbs is more midwieght, like the Vette and Z, and anything more is definitely heavy for a sports car.

My car is almost 4000lbs and I don't think its too heavy for a "sport car"... I think its sportier than some of the cars that I've driven that's 1000lbs lighter

reilo

He has an extreme hardline stance on this issue because of his hardon for 90s cars.

Stinkles

CX7- Turbo, and Honda Fit. Heavy and Light, if you will.

friday

My last car was a 94 miata, pretty lightweight. I don't own a car anymore since moving to NYC. If I had to buy a new car it would be between the focus st and the brz. I have a a feeling the brz might win, randy pobst and I have similar taste

Stinkles

My last car was a 94 miata, pretty lightweight. I don't own a car anymore since moving to NYC. If I had to buy a new car it would be between the focus st and the brz. I have a a feeling the brz might win, randy pobst and I have similar taste

BRZ would destroy Focus on a track, but not on specs. Which is part of my issue, given the price.

FStop7

Banned
4,000 pounds is pretty heavy for a sports car. Even when it's a car with unreal capabilities like a GTR you can't escape the weight. It's just physics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom