• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Bomb

Proper definition for cars that have to meet safety regulations and consumer creature comfort expectations for 2013:
<2500 lbs: superlight
2500-3000 lbs: light
3000-3500 lbs: middleweight
>3500 lbs: heavy

I'd argue that cars aren't significantly safer now than 20 years ago. Obviously I have nothing to back this up, but it's my gut feeling. I feel that 20 airbags is not much better than 2.

Asked to post lightweight cars.

Posts stripped out JDM models with racing seats, no safety features, and no creature comforts. Can barely make the mark.

Good post. Good effort.

The only one that might be considered stripped down of those is the NSX-R. I've never been in one, I don't know. You might be right.

The rest? Definitely not.

Not to mention half of those cars were developed and released in early-to-mid-90s, but in rare cases had extended production runs into the early 2000s.

Read, once more, if you can, what you said:

"In fact, here's a challenge: list all the two-door "sports" cars you can think of that weigh under 2800lbs built since 2000."

He has an extreme hardline stance on this issue because of his hardon for 90s cars.

There's nothing extreme or hardline about it. You and your beau are the ones getting bent out of shape because your cars are more Adele than Rihanna. If you like that, it's fine. Just don't be trying to claim things that are untrue.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'd argue that cars aren't significantly safer now than 20 years ago. Obviously I have nothing to back this up, but it's my gut feeling. I feel that 20 airbags is not much better than 2.

What is it with the kids and the AskJeeves?

There's nothing extreme or hardline about it. You and your beau are the ones getting bent out of shape because your cars are more Adele than Rihanna. If you like that, it's fine. Just don't be trying to claim things that are untrue.

Out of all the celebrities you could have picked...

N-Bomb

Out of all the celebrities you could have picked...

I couldn't think of anyone else. (a fun car is one you can beat on a bit?) Taylor Swift? Beyonce? Kesha? :\ Britney is crazy, Tiny Turner and Madonna are old... I dunno. Who would you have used?

What is it with the kids and the AskJeeves?

Maybe I should have said that I'm not sure the tradeoff is worth it. Diminishing returns, etc.

ascii42

Makes sense, then. 145 HP is sooooo low for that size, though!

I'd guess it's got a torquey V8 though. The older American cars I've had have been like that. My '76 Olds: 190 hp/350 lb-ft of torque. My '86 Caddy: 140 hp/ 250 lb-ft of torque.

Depends on the car. I'd argue that the...well, shall we say lower end has gotten safer. Or do you think a Geo Metro is pretty much as safe as anything you can buy now?

1991-geo-metro-pic-62258.jpeg

I used to drive one like the above. I can't say I ever felt safe in it or the other Metros I've driven. Especially on the interstate. (man, I've had some underpowered cars)

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Is this a decent place to ask about car stereos?

My wife drives a 2006 Kia Sedona, my car is a 2013 Dodge Dart. The Kia doesn't have a good stereo, but it's a double din spot. We already have the rear DVD player for the kids, so I don't really need DVD up front.. but the Dart has the bitchin' touchscreen with blue tooth, Sirius, SD-Card slot, and USB hook ups.

I want to put something similar in the Kia. Especially since I just got a $124 cell phone ticket since I refuse to use one of those bluetooth headsets and got caught. So I'm looking for an aftermarket deck with BT and USB hook-ups.. but I really am not sure about going down to the small controls of a single din radio.. especially since the Kia now has big buttons and the Dodge has the huge touchscreen.

So I was thinking something like this, but GAF.. what's your recommendation?

N-Bomb

Depends on the car. I'd argue that the...well, shall we say lower end has gotten safer. Or do you think a Geo Metro is pretty much as safe as anything you can buy now?

1991-geo-metro-pic-62258.jpeg

I used to drive one like the above. I can't say I ever felt safe in it or the other Metros I've driven. Especially on the interstate. (man, I've had some underpowered cars)

You're 100% right - but I'd put my faith more in improved construction and crash mitigation methods than just more airbags for improvements in the past 20 years - stuff like keeping the passenger area more intact, better-designed interiors, etc.

As an aside - a Ferrari 328 pushes the scales at around 2800 lbs.

Stinkles

Is this a decent place to ask about car stereos?

My wife drives a 2006 Kia Sedona, my car is a 2013 Dodge Dart. The Kia doesn't have a good stereo, but it's a double din spot. We already have the rear DVD player for the kids, so I don't really need DVD up front.. but the Dart has the bitchin' touchscreen with blue tooth, Sirius, SD-Card slot, and USB hook ups.

I want to put something similar in the Kia. Especially since I just got a $124 cell phone ticket since I refuse to use one of those bluetooth headsets and got caught. So I'm looking for an aftermarket deck with BT and USB hook-ups.. but I really am not sure about going down to the small controls of a single din radio.. especially since the Kia now has big buttons and the Dodge has the huge touchscreen.

So I was thinking something like this, but GAF.. what's your recommendation?

If you get a bluetooth unit you can always use your phone as a touchscreen.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
If you get a bluetooth unit you can always use your phone as a touchscreen.

It's more the controls of the radio.. I thought I was settled on this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A02DX9S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Until I went to a store and realized how small controls were on single din decks... it's been like 10 years since I used an after market deck.. as my Ram had a nice stereo, my Nissan before had a nice factory deck, so it was my Civic from back in the day.

So.. I was thinking this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A02KOHM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

..I can get the step down version for $350 with the smaller screen.

Still.. I'd be looking at like $216 for everything I need to install how I want with the single DIN unit that is pretty loaded...

..or http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A02KOHM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Which all said and done would set me back $433.. so over $200 more.. and I have no need for the DVD.

friday

BRZ would destroy Focus on a track, but not on specs. Which is part of my issue, given the price.

Motortrend actually tested the two against each other on the track. BRZ won with a professional driver in both cars. He like both the cars. It's the youtube video of the Golf R vs the Focus ST.

The BRZ seems kind of...basic.

Is it really better than, say, a Genesis Coupe? There are so many options with that one...

I like really basic cars, so I see that as a plus. It has a good enough stero system, Nav, and a/c and heat. Good enough for me. The miata I owned was so simple and wonderful to own. Very few amenities to distract you from the job at hand.

A lot of people seem to like the Genesis, but I have never been very interested in it. I really want to see what Mazda do with the ND miata. I have heard that they were pretty disappointed in the NC and the ND is a do or die situation. I hope they can hit their target weight of <2400lbs.

...Just don't be trying to claim things that are untrue.

Snipped. You cannot have typed that post with a straight face.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Damn. Gained it all back by eating a burger. Can't wait until I poop so my car drives proper again.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Damn. Gained it all back by eating a burger. Can't wait until I poop so my car drives proper again.

I would advise against eating 32 ounce burgers in the future. I don't want you crashing your ultralight ride into mine on the road after having a coronary.

Halvie

Banned
Motortrend actually tested the two against each other on the track. BRZ won with a professional driver in both cars. He like both the cars. It's the youtube video of the Golf R vs the Focus ST.

Not suggesting that video's results weren't correct, but stupid of him not to at track the R too. What was the point of it then? Or at least redo it since ESP can easily be disabled on the R now.

TylerD

Tonight at 10:30 pm est the rights to C7 Corvette production #1 are going to be auctioned off at Barrett Jackson on Speed. The expected price is at least 750k.

N-Bomb

I lost two pounds this week and my car drives so much better now.

You're silly. (with a heavy car)

You can't beat physics. ANY car would perform better in *every way* by being lighter. End of line. Full stop. Period. There's a reason why performance trims of high-end cars are always lighter, not just more powerful.

Tonight at 10:30 pm est the rights to C7 Corvette production #1 are going to be auctioned off at Barrett Jackson on Speed. The expected price is at least 750k.

Heh... I'll take #2 at a $675k discount. ;)

You can't beat physics. ANY car would perform better in *every way* by being lighter. End of line. Full stop. Period. There's a reason why performance trims of high-end cars are always lighter, not just more powerful.

What about driving in low friction conditions? :p

TylerD

The new F150 is supposed to be around 700lbs lighter. Going light is the next frontier in fuel economy gains for manufacturers needing to make CAFE numbers.

ascii42

The new F150 is supposed to be around 700lbs lighter. Going light is the next frontier in fuel economy gains for manufacturers needing to make CAFE numbers.

According to GM, the Corvette C7 actually could have been lighter if not for some fuel saving measures, by about 100 lbs.

According to GM, the Corvette C7 actually could have been lighter if not for some fuel saving measures, by about 100 lbs.

They have to do both sadly a lot engine and transmission tech adds weight but GM is masters at making the small-block V8's compact and light.

Mazda was smart to make those two things a marketable brand with Skyactiv.

TylerD

Finally some good footage of Singer's products...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJQ4hQSusjE

Pure sex. Singer 911s are just spectacular. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Speaking of Porsches one of 2 working 959 prototypes sold for 400K. It was white with burgundy interior. Drool...

Muscle car madness!

The first Shelby GT 500 prototype was a no sale at 1.8 million. Has fuel injection and IRS.
1971 Plum Crazy hemi Cuda sold for 1.2 million.

I got my alcantara covered armrest installed today. I love the dark contrast to the light grey.

1VVYONVl.jpg

N-Bomb

I might do the door arm pads too. They are technically non wear areas because I never rest my arm on them.

That's what I'm worried about. I haven't had a ton of experience with alcantara, but its texture makes me think that it would wear and pick up grime quite a bit easier than leather.

Loki

Count of Concision
Didn't know where to ask this, but figured this might be a good place since perhaps some auto enthusiast will see it.

Twice now, I've seen this car that I don't know the name of. The first time I saw it, it was in a parking lot, and I was floored by its looks. I walked up to it and looked for a name, but didn't see any. All I managed to see was something like "Amana" inside the car, I believe. The emblem on the front/rear was unfamiliar to me. It's a sports car, looks similar to an Aston Martin mixed with a Corvette. It is just GORGEOUS imo. I'm dying to find out what it is lol.

ascii42

Didn't know where to ask this, but figured this might be a good place since perhaps some auto enthusiast will see it.

Twice now, I've seen this car that I don't know the name of. The first time I saw it, it was in a parking lot, and I was floored by its looks. I walked up to it and looked for a name, but didn't see any. All I managed to see was something like "Amana" inside the car, I believe. The emblem on the front/rear was unfamiliar to me. It's a sports car, looks similar to an Aston Martin mixed with a Corvette. It is just GORGEOUS imo. I'm dying to find out what it is lol.

Was it perhaps a Maserati of some sort? This particular one is a Granturismo.

maserati_gt_mc_-_04_01.jpg

If not, can you describe the logo

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Since we're already talking about naming cars we've seen but don't know what they are, I've seen this one car a few times. It almost looks like a kit car. It's a tiny two seater, the front of it looks like a squished PT Cruiser almost, and it has its wheels sticking out on either side as a Caterham does. I don't necessarily like it, but I can't stand the fact that I have no idea what it is. Anyone?

Loki

Count of Concision
Was it perhaps a Maserati of some sort? This particular one is a Granturismo.

maserati_gt_mc_-_04_01.jpg

If not, can you describe the logo

Good guess - in fact, I should have said that it looked like a Maserati, but when I go to their website and look at their models, I don't see one that resembles the car I saw. Maserati's are gorgeous, but the car I saw looks a bit more aggressive.

EDIT: Also, looking at the various Granturismo models on their site, all of them have the Maserati name on the back. This car definitely didn't have a manufacturer's name on the back. I purposely looked for it.

Kipp

Good guess - in fact, I should have said that it looked like a Maserati, but when I go to their website and look at their models, I don't see one that resembles the car I saw. Maserati's are gorgeous, but the car I saw looks a bit more aggressive.

EDIT: Also, looking at the various Granturismo models on their site, all of them have the Maserati name on the back. This car definitely didn't have a manufacturer's name on the back. I purposely looked for it.

Did the car have any kind of logo on it? Any other details you remember?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Describe the car a bit more than that.

And describe the logo too.

It's obviously not a Maserati, since everyone and their mom knows what a Maserati looks like in NYC and their logo has the name spelled out.

Was it a Noble M600 maybe? It has taillights like a Vette, and headlights like an old Aston.

noble_m600_4-wide.jpg

2010-Noble-M600-Rear-Open-Doors-1280x960.jpg

Skunkers

Since we're already talking about naming cars we've seen but don't know what they are, I've seen this one car a few times. It almost looks like a kit car. It's a tiny two seater, the front of it looks like a squished PT Cruiser almost, and it has its wheels sticking out on either side as a Caterham does. I don't necessarily like it, but I can't stand the fact that I have no idea what it is. Anyone?

I'm guessing a Plymouth/Chrysler Prowler.

plymouth-00018-1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Prowler

Nander

Based on it looking like a Maserati I would guess it was a Fisker Karma:

Or perhaps, but more unlikely since it was just recently shown for the first time in Detroit, the V8 powered all-petrol engine version of the Karma - the VL Automotive Destino:

ascii42

It's obviously not a Maserati, since everyone and their mom knows what a Maserati looks like in NYC and their logo has the name spelled out.

Was it a Noble M600 maybe? It has taillights like a Vette, and headlights like an old Aston.
Right. I sometimes forget that not everyone lives in an area where the most expensive car you ever see is a Corvette.

wondermega

car mechanic gaf, I need some help, and this seems like the most appropriate place to post (I'd start a new topic, if I were able, but...)

I have a 1996 Mistubishi Eclipse RS, this is pretty much the only car I've owned (@220k miles). It's served me well in it's time, but during my time commuting LA->Irvine the transmission died and I had to replace it. After about a year and a half (100 miles daily commute) the same thing happened and I need to replace it again. I've been broke/unemployed for some time; it's sat in my back lot, dead to the world, for nearly 2 years straight.

Anyway, I finally can justify fixing it (getting a new transmission). But.. the tires are all flat, the battery is beyond dead, etc etc. My biggest concern (to my knowledge) actually is this - the tank has had < 1/4 of gas in it, sitting there for 2 years now. I am gonna jump the battery and start it, and I plan to drive it to a shop to get the transmission replaced (again). Should I be wary that my engine might be..uh... rotten from having a little bit of gas sitting in it for 2 years? To be more specific, the gas currently in there might have separated, and there's sediment that has settled at the bottom perhaps (I am assuming, I've no idea if this can happen with gas in an engine over a prolonged period of time)

It's been suggested that I should throw a bit of gas down to mix up whatever is in there, before trying to start the engine. Is it an issue, should I expect that it might seize, be ruined - is there anything else I might need to be concerned about? It's already gonna cost enough to repair, and re-register, re-insure, etc. Curious what you might think.

"get rid of it and just get a new car" yes this would be nice but other than the transmission the thing is in decent shape and runs fine before all of this. I'd like a newer car when my life is more accommodating, for now this seems like the best solution to give me a ride for the next couple of years (obviously I don't really have to drive much, but it's getting necessary in my life lately)

Thanks for reading.

You can take care of the gas with some more new gas and gas dry or a similar product, but with only a little gas in the tank for two years the tank will be in bad shape. Could need to replace that along with fuel lines. Plus the tires will need replacing, and your engine will probably leak oil like a sieve.

Screw it, though, put some gas in it, fill the tires with air and see how it goes.

Its a plastic tank I doubt its done any real damage.

Fill it up with new gas and a can of seafoam.

Your engine is fine, if your feeling worried take out the spark plugs and squirt a little marvel mystery oil in each cylinder.

Get that trans replace and let her live until 300k.

Kipp

I'm guessing a Plymouth/Chrysler Prowler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Prowler

That's the one! Thank you!
Man, I expected that car to be a little quicker than that... 5.9 seconds to get that tiny thing to 60? When it seems the whole point of that car is performance over practicality?
But the best part has to be the 4-speed automatic transmission.

That car makes even less sense now than it did when I only knew what it looked like.

Edit: Also, that bumper looks hideous. It looks like it was just thrown on last minute to sort out some safety requirements.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Man, I expected that car to be a little quicker than that... 5.9 seconds to get that tiny thing to 60? When it seems the whole point of that car is performance over practicality?

That car makes even less sense now than it did when I only knew what it looked like.

Edit: Also, that bumper looks hideous. It looks like it was just thrown on last minute to sort out some safety requirements.

The car is extremely old, man. Those numbers were pretty good for the 90s.

N-Bomb

Amana makes kitchen appliances. :) Otherwise... hmm. What kind of Corvette? Yeah, as Alpha said, describe the logo or something else more.

Already solved, but yeah, Prowler was my first thought as well. I think the design has actually aged decently.

Kipp

The car is extremely old, man. Those numbers were pretty good for the 90s.

The 5.9 second 0-60 was for the 1999-2002 models. The 1997 model was 7.2 seconds.
All I'm saying is that for a car that was $40k new and seems to have taken a complete performance over practicality approach, it isn't as fast as I'd expect. Although I'll bet it is very agile.

Already solved, but yeah, Prowler was my first thought as well. I think the design has actually aged decently.

Yeah, definitely. Besides that bumper I do like it quite a bit. Before knowing when it was made I would never have guessed it was designed in the mid-late 90s. It still looks very modern.

Edit: Oh man. It really does look great without the bumper. It looks pretty great from the rear as well:

Stinkles

The 5.9 second 0-60 was for the 1999-2002 models. The 1997 model was 7.2 seconds.
All I'm saying is that for a car that was $40k new and seems to have taken a complete performance over practicality approach, it isn't as fast as I'd expect. Although I'll bet it is very agile.

Yeah, definitely. Besides that bumper I do like it quite a bit. Before knowing when it was made I would never have guessed it was designed in the mid-late 90s. It still looks very modern.

Edit: Oh man. It really does look great without the bumper. It looks pretty great from the rear as well:

Problem with that car is that it is a manufactured, marketed version of a look that (especially) Californian custom car builders had honed and hand built over the decades. So it's kind of like comparing Bieber to Nirvana in terms of authenticity. But it's a car. You should like what you like. Note that I only ever see rich old guys with otherwise incredibly bad taste driving these. And occasionally crazy old ladies who fucked up their menopause medication and accidentally got high and bought one by accident instead of the PT Cruiser they were destined for.

Also my car guesses for the mystery vehicle are Fisker and Spyker.

6hrMTpg.jpg

Skunkers

The point of the car wasn't really performance over practicality though. Like many American "sporty" cars of that era, it was meant to be a boulevard cruiser. Specifically to evoke that classic hot rod look, and offer it in a package without all the expense and hassle of restoring a real one.

Many folks did complain about the lack of a V8 though. But 5.9 to 60 isn't terrible, even today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom