• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascii42

The point of the car wasn't really performance over practicality though. Like many American "sporty" cars of that era, it was meant to be a boulevard cruiser. Specifically to evoke that classic hot rod look, and offer it in a package without all the expense and hassle of restoring a real one.

Many folks did complain about the lack of a V8 though. But 5.9 to 60 isn't terrible, even today.

Yeah, no V8 was the biggest problem. Maybe in the spirit of hotrodding, it's fitting that to drop a new engine into it. It'd probably be a blast with an LS in there.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Also my car guesses for the mystery vehicle are Fisker and Spyker.

6hrMTpg.jpg

Thought about the Spyker, but whenever someone says looks sort of like a "Corvette" I think to myself "hmmm...what has a quad taillight design?"

Come on, Loki. Respond. The suspense is killing me.

Viperbah

car mechanic gaf, I need some help, and this seems like the most appropriate place to post (I'd start a new topic, if I were able, but...)

I have a 1996 Mistubishi Eclipse RS, this is pretty much the only car I've owned (@220k miles). It's served me well in it's time, but during my time commuting LA->Irvine the transmission died and I had to replace it. After about a year and a half (100 miles daily commute) the same thing happened and I need to replace it again. I've been broke/unemployed for some time; it's sat in my back lot, dead to the world, for nearly 2 years straight.

Anyway, I finally can justify fixing it (getting a new transmission). But.. the tires are all flat, the battery is beyond dead, etc etc. My biggest concern (to my knowledge) actually is this - the tank has had < 1/4 of gas in it, sitting there for 2 years now. I am gonna jump the battery and start it, and I plan to drive it to a shop to get the transmission replaced (again). Should I be wary that my engine might be..uh... rotten from having a little bit of gas sitting in it for 2 years? To be more specific, the gas currently in there might have separated, and there's sediment that has settled at the bottom perhaps (I am assuming, I've no idea if this can happen with gas in an engine over a prolonged period of time)

It's been suggested that I should throw a bit of gas down to mix up whatever is in there, before trying to start the engine. Is it an issue, should I expect that it might seize, be ruined - is there anything else I might need to be concerned about? It's already gonna cost enough to repair, and re-register, re-insure, etc. Curious what you might think.

"get rid of it and just get a new car" yes this would be nice but other than the transmission the thing is in decent shape and runs fine before all of this. I'd like a newer car when my life is more accommodating, for now this seems like the best solution to give me a ride for the next couple of years (obviously I don't really have to drive much, but it's getting necessary in my life lately)

Thanks for reading.

Don't put seafoam in your tank. All that's going to do is break up any loose sludge in your fuel tank and clog your fuel pump. Your tank will most likely need to be cleaned/flushed.

Put some regular gas in and drive it straight to your mechanic. Tell him whats up. He can clean and flush your tank for you.

Also your tires might be dry rotted (if it's been sitting outside), it will look like your tire has a crack in it. If any tire's look like this, they will need to be replaced.

Also, just let your mechanic know the car has been sitting for a while and get him to check over it for you...I don't want to scare you but a lot of things can mess up when you just let a car sit. You will avoid future headaches by replacing and fixing small stuff now.

ascii42

Thought about the Spyker, but whenever someone says looks sort of like a "Corvette" I think to myself "hmmm...what has a quad taillight design?"

Ferrari comes to mind, but I'd imagine he can recognize that logo.

I guess something to ask is what aspects of Aston Martins and Corvettes were you reminded of, specifically?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ferrari comes to mind, but I'd imagine he can recognize that logo.

I guess something to ask is what aspects of Aston Martins and Corvettes were you reminded of, specifically?

I wonder if it wasn't a Callaway or some redo of an existing platform.

Loki

Count of Concision
Based on it looking like a Maserati I would guess it was a Fisker Karma:

It actually looks a lot like that car, but slightly beefier. Also, that car has the model name on the back - the car I saw didn't have one. But this is very close stylistically to the car I saw. Do Aston Martin's have the model/manufacturer's name on the back?

Alphasnake said:
Describe the car a bit more than that.

And describe the logo too.

Wish I could dude. I only saw the car up close once, in a lot, and the other time I saw it driving down the street. It's not the car you posted pics of, though, nor is it any of the other cars mentioned on this page (I googled pics of them). I looked everywhere for a name or make and all I saw was something that iirc sounded like "Amana" printed somewhere on the INSIDE of the car. It was hard to see since the windows were slightly tinted and it was night time.

If I ever see this car again I'll make it my mission to find out what it is, even if it means following someone and pulling up next to them at a light to ask lol. It's really one of the nicest looking cars I've ever seen. I was floored.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
It actually looks a lot like that car, but slightly beefier. Also, that car has the model name on the back - the car I saw didn't have one. But this is very close stylistically to the car I saw. Do Aston Martin's have the model/manufacturer's name on the back?

A response!
But anyways, it's also possible that the owner removed the badges from the car so that doesn't really narrow it down much.

Edit: Also, it wasn't a Panamera, was it?

Pretty sure the "It's really one of the nicest looking cars I've ever seen. I was floored." means it wasn't the Panamera, but the descriptions and the something like "Amana" on the inside made me think of it.

Second Edit: Now I'm just grasping at straws, but was it an Ascari?

Loki

Count of Concision
It was none of the cars you guys just mentioned based on those pics and what I see on google. Anyhow, no use in continuing to speculate. Hopefully I'll see it again. Thanks though!

FStop7

Banned
Where do you live, Loki? If you're in Europe then there are generally more possibilities in terms of being it a car made by some sort of small/obscure manufacturer.

Do you recall any details like the shape of the headlights or taillights, or what the wheels looked like? What color was it?

AlphaSnake

Dammit. Ascari is a great guess, I thought Kipp got it there.

I MUST figure this out. I cannot let this live. I will start spitting names out now:

Alfa-Romeo 8C:
3.jpg

Henessy Venom:
vgt-p3-02.jpg

Panoz Esperante:
panoz-00002-1.jpg

Koenigsegg CCX
koenigsegg-ccx1.jpg

TVR Sagaris
tvr-sagaris-04.jpg

Artega GT
artega-gt.png

Pagani? Gumpert? SSC?

Loki

Count of Concision
Where do you live, Loki? If you're in Europe then there are generally more possibilities in terms of being it a car made by some sort of small/obscure manufacturer.

Do you recall any details like the shape of the headlights or taillights, or what the wheels looked like? What color was it?

I live in NY. Sorry, I don't recall any of those finer details except that it was a very aggressive and "beefy" looking car, while still being sleek. Of the two I saw, one was black, one was white.

Alphasnake said:
ammit. Ascari is a great guess, I thought Kipp got it there.

I MUST figure this out. I cannot let this live. I will start spitting names out now:

It wasn't any of those from what I can tell. It wasn't as smoothly sloping as the Alpha Romeo 8C or Sagaris; it was way more aggressive (and better) looking than the Esperante (I feel like it jutted wide on the sides at some point on the car while that car looks pretty "straight" along the sides); it also didn't have as long a hood as the 8C, Sagaris, or Esperante - or at least it didn't give the impression that its cabin was as far back on the car as those cars do. It didn't look AS sporty as the Henessey Venom, but the shape of its back 1/3 and rear section seems similar (its front 2/3 were not too similar to that car, however) minus the spoiler. The Venom is the only car you posted that is comparable in terms of the aggressiveness of its styling, however. I don't think it had the style of protruding tail lights as seen on the Venom, either. It wasn't as low profile or cabin-forward as the CCX, and was a bit more angular on the sides as well as more aggressive looking. In profile, of the cars you posted, it most resembled the Artega, but it had a larger cabin and was larger overall (I also looked at some other pics of the Artega and that isn't it backed on its rear 1/3). Overall, the car could be described as 'substantial."

I should also note that the interior, from what I could make out, looked like a high end luxury car, with light browns (leather, I assume), blacks, and chrome accents.

I actually googled "top 100 sports cars" the other day and just started randomly looking through webpages hoping to find it, with no luck.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Please tell me it wasn't something silly like a Mazda RX-7 FD with the Fast and Furious bodykit.

Kipp

It wasn't any of those from what I can tell. It wasn't as smoothly sloping as the Alpha Romeo 8C or Sagaris; it was way more aggressive (and better) looking than the Esperante (I feel like it jutted wide on the sides at some point on the car while that car looks pretty "straight" along the sides); it also didn't have as long a hood as the 8C, Sagaris, or Esperante - or at least it didn't give the impression that its cabin was as far back on the car as those cars do. It didn't look AS sporty as the Henessey Venom, but the shape of its back 1/3 and rear section seems similar (its front 2/3 were not too similar to that car, however) minus the spoiler. The Venom is the only car you posted that is comparable in terms of the aggressiveness of its styling, however. I don't think it had the style of protruding tail lights as seen on the Venom, either. It wasn't as low profile or cabin-forward as the CCX, and was a bit more angular on the sides as well as more aggressive looking. In profile, of the cars you posted, it most resembled the Artega, but it had a larger cabin and was larger overall (I also looked at some other pics of the Artega and that isn't it backed on its rear 1/3). Overall, the car could be described as 'substantial."

GAAAH. WHAT IS IT!?

What about the MP4-12C?

Also, you said it had a "larger cabin." Do you remember if it had back seats?

Please tell me it wasn't something silly like a Mazda RX-7 FD with the Fast and Furious bodykit.

Oh man. It better not be some lame car with a bodykit. But he did say he's seen two different ones, so that seems unlikely.

reilo

Also, don't discount that people de-badge their cars. Not sure who would do that on a high-end supercar, but who knows.

Kipp

It better not be just a 911 or something... It's either something that's not obscure at all or something very, very obscure. We've covered the semi-rare cars pretty thoroughly.

Also, I hadn't seen a picture of the million pound Aston yet. Goodness. That profile.
Surprisingly I'm not a big fan of that grill though... Just too big. I'm assuming that thing has a massive engine though and it needs that massive grill.

Edit: One other car that could be the mystery car. Slim chance since he'd probably know what it is already, but the Genesis coupe?

That one is de-badged and modified a lot. (Although that one in the picture is obviously very plain...)

reilo

It better not be just a 911 or something... It's either something that's not obscure at all or something very, very obscure. We've covered the semi-rare cars pretty thoroughly.

Lost in the shuffle of him saying it was a mix between an Aston Martin and a Corvette is the fact that the One-77 is so rare that it just might be the car he's talking about because it looks just different enough to be confused with not being an AM.

PriitV

Didn't know where to ask this, but figured this might be a good place since perhaps some auto enthusiast will see it.

Twice now, I've seen this car that I don't know the name of. The first time I saw it, it was in a parking lot, and I was floored by its looks. I walked up to it and looked for a name, but didn't see any. All I managed to see was something like "Amana" inside the car, I believe. The emblem on the front/rear was unfamiliar to me. It's a sports car, looks similar to an Aston Martin mixed with a Corvette. It is just GORGEOUS imo. I'm dying to find out what it is lol.

Fiskars perhaps?
abc_fiskers_car_thg_111019_wmain.jpg

friday

car mechanic gaf, I need some help

Usually it's not good to let a car just sit with all the fluids in it for that long. They will all need to be flushed and replaced. After the car has sat for that long other issues can arise, mainly oil seals can go bad. Like others said, put new gas in it and try to get it running. It should not take too much effort to get it running again, but it will need work to keep it going for the long term.

Take it to the mechanic asap and let us know if you can't get it started.

AlphaSnake

Hmmm...Hamann Ferrari California sounds plausible.

Seems odd one wouldn't recognize a Ferrari though

Loki

Count of Concision
Fiskars perhaps?
abc_fiskers_car_thg_111019_wmain.jpg

You win the prize! Googling "Fisker car" led me to these pics, which is almost undoubtedly the car I saw:

fisker-karma-rear.jpg

2010-FISKER-KARMA-widescreen-06.jpg

lead5-2012-fisker-karma-fd.jpg

fiskerkarma.jpg

The Fisker Karma. This is the one guys. In fact, after seeing it again, I now recall it said "Karma" not "Amana", and it was actually on the exterior lol. Forgive me. Thanks for all the detective work! I will say that when you see this car in person, it's stunning.

Kipp

Wait. What. Wasn't one of the first answers the Fisker Karma?

But anyways, FINALLY. I'm released from the state of suspense and bewilderment!

Edit: Yeah. One of the first guesses. :|

Based on it looking like a Maserati I would guess it was a Fisker Karma:

coldfoot

Banned
Yeah Karma was one of the first responses...
And seriously what part of the Karma looks like a Corvette?

I'm pissed because all the signs pointed to Hamann and I was sure I had it...

Kipp

My thoughts exactly.

Yeah Karma was one of the first responses...
And seriously what part of the Karma looks like a Corvette?

I'm pissed because all the signs pointed to Hamann and I was sure I had it...

I can see the Corvette kinda by the profile. What I can't see is the Aston.

Also, that Hamann guess was brilliant. The only thing that made me think it wasn't that was that he saw two different ones. That car is a bit too rare to see two of.

AlphaSnake

What the fuck...

It doesn't look like a sports-car, that implies 2-doors.

It doesn't look like a Corvette.

It doesn't look like an Astin.

Karma? Amana? Come on.

It was also the first reply.

Wow.

Loki

Count of Concision
What the fuck...

It doesn't look like a sports-car, that implies 2-doors.

It doesn't look like a Corvette.

It doesn't look like an Astin.

Karma? Amana? Come on.

It was also the first reply.

Wow.

Sorry dude. I'm not a car enthusiast, so I'm not as attuned to various design/style elements as you guys are. I appreciate all your help and sorry for sending you guys on a wild goose chase. Guess I missed the post about the Fisker from earlier.

FStop7 said:
I can see how someone who isn't into cars would come to associate the shape of the Karma with the Vette and/or Aston.

Thanks for the backup lol.

PS - From the Car and Driver review of the Fisker Karma:

The Karma&#8217;s recipe calls for sexy design stirred with a heap of sustainability. We had faith in the styling part of the concoction: While growing up in Denmark, Henrik Fisker inherited from his father a deep appreciation for American cars of the Sixties. Upon completing formal design studies, he put his rearing to excellent use. Warming up for the Karma, Fisker designed the BMW Z8 and the Aston Martin DB9 and V-8 Vantage&#8212;all of which stand tall next to any Corvette or Eldorado.

So he has a love for American cars and designed a couple of Astons. Maybe I wasn't so far off. :p

AlphaSnake

Henrik Fisker was Ian Callum's assistant in designing the Astons.

I feel like shanking someone. I'm going to the NBA thread to get some much needed LOLs.

N-Bomb

You know. I wonder if one could get a California modified to change the retractable hardtop to fixed and a couple other things to cut a couple hundred pounds out of the car without sacrificing any comfort. Maybe cut out the back seats. Hm. #richpersonplans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom