• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
You know. I wonder if one could get a California modified to change the retractable hardtop to fixed and a couple other things to cut a couple hundred pounds out of the car without sacrificing any comfort. Maybe cut out the back seats. Hm. #richpersonplans

coldfoot

Banned
You know. I wonder if one could get a California modified to change the retractable hardtop to fixed and a couple other things to cut a couple hundred pounds out of the car without sacrificing any comfort. Maybe cut out the back seats. Hm. #richpersonplans
Kornheiser_Why.JPG

N-Bomb

Ummm..no
There is absolutely zero reason to get a California over a 458 spider. If you want more comfort, get a Bentley.

Like I said, looks. If I was going to get a Ferrari at all right now, it would be a 328 GTS or a Testarossa. Maybe a 360. But if I had to get a NEW one, it would be the Cali.

My current car. Props for those who can guess where I live.

70616545164259156336511.jpg

Nice STS - somewhere in Japan.

Not Japan because it's not RHD based on that last image. I can't make out a hump or steering wheel on the right hand side, so it would rule out Japan (unless OP imported it?). I can't definitively say this because the reflection is covering the left side of the vehicle, but I will assume that that OP walked out of the vehicle from the driver's side to take the pictures and thus it's LHD.

My guess is either Taiwan or China. Both are LHD and the characters in the background are Chinese.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Chinese have a MASSIVE affinity towards Buicks and Caddys.

Also, LOL at N-Bomb. Rear bench on a California is likely just thick padding with leather on top of it, probably weighs no more than 10lbs. Ten puny poun...oh right. Nevermind

amrihua

Not Japan because it's not RHD based on that last image. I can't make out a hump or steering wheel on the right hand side, so it would rule out Japan (unless OP imported it?). I can't definitively say this because the reflection is covering the left side of the vehicle, but I will assume that that OP walked out of the vehicle from the driver's side to take the pictures and thus it's LHD.

My guess is either Taiwan or China. Both are LHD and the characters in the background are Chinese.

It is RHD actually. Though there is no rule in Japan against LHD cars.

32407945806931425402621.jpg

24001845806948758734237.jpg

You could almost read the sign in katakana in this image.

Yup

Hello, I wasn't sure if this warranted its own thread, but I had some questions about the car buying process. Hopefully you guys can chime in with some advice.

I don't really know how the car buying process should go. The car we are looking to buy has a list price of $32k, which we obviously aren't willing to pay.
I have $12k in cash saved. I plan on getting an auto loan through my credit union. I also plan on trading in my current car, which KBB values at 10k, though it still has a couple of payments left (about <$1k).

I think what I'm supposed to do is:
1. Acquire auto loan
2. Go to the dealer with check from credit union and personal checkbook, and haggle, agree on a price to buy the car
3. Once a price has been agreed upon, inform the dealer that I will trade in my current car
4. Sign papers and drive off into the sunset ???

What amount should I try to get for the loan? It would be my first loan ever btw. I would have about $20-$22k (savings + estimated trade-in value) Do I try to cover the original list price? How does one "haggle" and negotiate a fair price? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Or maybe I should have just started a thread for this?

ascii42

Making a thread could be a good idea. Other people have done it for car advice. Sometimes this thread gets....lost in other things. But maybe you'll get enough advice here.

Your steps sound right to me. As for amount to get for the loan, that's really down to what you feel comfortable paying up front. Credit union should get you a pretty good interest rate. As for haggling, is a new car? If so, figure out what the invoice is, so you can know what sort of wiggle room you've got.

Making a thread could be a good idea. Other people have done it for car advice. Sometimes this thread gets....lost in other things. But maybe you'll get enough advice here.

Your steps sound right to me. As for amount to get for the loan, that's really down to what you feel comfortable paying up front. Credit union should get you a pretty good interest rate. As for haggling, is a new car? If so, figure out what the invoice is, so you can know what sort of wiggle room you've got.

thanks, i'll be making a thread. i just thought that the up front, (down + trade in + loan) = the selling price of the car.

ascii42

thanks, i'll be making a thread. i just thought that the up front, (down + trade in + loan) = the selling price of the car.

Sorry, by up-front I meant the down-payment. How much do you feel comfortable putting down out of your own money, is what I was trying to get at. The trade-in value counts as part of up-front as well, but the loan doesn't.

Sorry, by up-front I meant the down-payment. How much do you feel comfortable putting down out of your own money, is what I was trying to get at. The trade-in value counts as part of up-front as well, but the loan doesn't.

I see. So I guess the down-payment will be $12k cash, plus the trade-in value of the car. What we we're trying to avoid is having a high monthly for paying off the loan from the credit union.

N-Bomb

Chinese have a MASSIVE affinity towards Buicks and Caddys.

Also, LOL at N-Bomb. Rear bench on a California is likely just thick padding with leather on top of it, probably weighs no more than 10lbs. Ten puny poun...oh right. Nevermind

Hey, if I had the money, I'd at least be able to find out for sure.

N-Bomb

Aside from the headlights (my own prejudice, I don't particularly like vertical stacks), this is just a BEAUTIFUL car. They even got the rear end more or less right.

01-2013-zagato-perana-z-one-fd.jpg

The great thing is it's only approx 3000 lbs! I could deal with that for a car that looks like this. The interior is nice, too! Dat transmission tunnel :eek:

No annoying center stack! Just common sense controls and a 6-speed. Nice.

31-2013-zagato-perana-z-one-fd.jpg

</gush>

friday

I see. So I guess the down-payment will be $12k cash, plus the trade-in value of the car. What we we're trying to avoid is having a high monthly for paying off the loan from the credit union.

Can you not get a good interest rate from the dealership? I guess since it is your first big loan they would be resistant to give you a good deal, but showing up with cash and assets (trade-in) should be a big help.

I guess you found a dealership you like, but dont deal with those people that avoid taking about price. Some salesmen like to avoid the topic and talk about the "experience of owning a new car". To hell with that noise.

TylerD

I know a guy who brought his North American 240sx over with him to drift, since he just completed a LS swap.

Since watching virtually all of the Mighty Car Mods episodes since I started watching them around Christmas, I am kind of wanting to pick up a cheap car to mod with reckless abandon and a 240sx would probably be my choice.

I doubt anything will come of it but I can't lie that there is some kind of urge to get a car and do whatever I want to it.

coldfoot

Banned
Aside from the headlights (my own prejudice, I don't particularly like vertical stacks), this is just a BEAUTIFUL car. They even got the rear end more or less right.
I say that car is horrendous in every level. Just get a ZR1 and mod it and you'll get better results and even a better interior.

So I was bored and pissed off about work so I hopped on my motorcycle (woo Texas!) and went by a local carmax. Turns out they had two M6's, an '07 and '08, both for right about $40k.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted, as they're gorgeous in person (I remember hating them when they came out, oddly enough), and they have 500hp, but I'm pretty sure the last thing in the world I need is a six year old V10 BMW.

I challenge you to convince me otherwise!

Chamai

Banned
I am in the market for a 2nd car for myself to get to work. i am deciding between a honda ep3 or a lexus is300. i am leaning towards the lexus is300, but the prices aren't very good. they hold their value quite well for some reason. anyone have any experiences with these cars? are they reliable? i am just looking for a fun car that is around 5k-8k canadian.

here is my 06 cls500. i had it since day one. just found out that i need to replace all my tires. wires are showing in the front. i probably roll on stocks rims for now. specs are the following incase you are interested.

wald body kit with spoiler
lorinser style roof spoiler
prior design front grille
rays volk racing progressiv ts 20x9.5, 20x10.5. 255/30/20. 295/25/20
custom cat back exhaust- straight pipe with flow master mufflers
lowered with links
2500k fog lights (looks orange in the pic for some reason)
IMG_3177_zps958aa94e.jpg

My current car. Props for those who can guess where I live.

70616545164259156336511.jpg

47423745159268823502219.jpg

33007645161769489918817.jpg

I saw one of these in Kasukabe, Saitama done up in VIP style (not cambered out or anything, just dropped a bit with a kit and some wheels). Looked pretty nice, and it made me realize how similar the c-pillar and some other angles are to a Gloria/Cedric. Good looking car even if it has the old man reputation.

On a different note, anyone else intrigued by this?
Official: BMW and Toyota to Collaborate on Midsize Sports Car

ascii42

I kinda want to buy one now. Mod it for RWD, drop in an LS9. Stupid beastcouch to suicide in.

!!
Seems like that would be tricky. You know, it might not be that hard to do an LS swap into the last generation of STS. Those are on the same platform as the CTS, which of course had LS engines in the V versions.

J-Rzez

Ugh at individual state laws. Been dealing with PennDoT/DMV for a while now over this Ariel Atom nonsense. Yeah, it doesn't have fucking bumpers, big damn deal, nor does it have doors lol. Can't get a straight answer from them, nor my crimes code book. There are people in PA with these cars but most are used transfers from out of state owners. I want one new. Worst case scenario would be that I would have to drop the motor in myself and have it labeled as a "kit car"... ffs.

Ugh at individual state laws. Been dealing with PennDoT/DMV for a while now over this Ariel Atom nonsense. Yeah, it doesn't have fucking bumpers, big damn deal, nor does it have doors lol. Can't get a straight answer from them, nor my crimes code book. There are people in PA with these cars but most are used transfers from out of state owners. I want one new. Worst case scenario would be that I would have to drop the motor in myself and have it labeled as a "kit car"... ffs.

How big of a difference is rear drum brakes vs. disc brakes? I know mechanically the difference but do they feel very different? I've been considering getting a newer car and was looking at the ford focus but I really hate how unless you upgrade it a lot you're stuck with drum brakes for the rear. I originally wanted a volkswagen but it seems the ford does pretty much everything better with the exception of drum brakes for the back. Should I care or am I over thinking having drums for the back?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So anybody have a FR-S/BRZ? How satisfied are you with it?

This is a flamepit, but I'll bite.

What are you looking for in a sports car? How much do you want to spend?

There are a number who have the car here. I personally don't like it. I've written a less than nice review on the car, as have Road & Track and more recently AutomobileMag are finding displeasure with the car as well.

On the flipside, Motor Trend, Car and Drive, and Top Gear Magazine do like the car. So there's that.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you're looking for out of your car. You won't find a grain of luxury in either, especially the FR-S. You won't find exciting straight-line performance...you'll get about average mid-size sedan acceleration levels of a V6 Altima or Camry, marginally slower. A noisy and thrashy sounding motor. And terribly numb electric steering.

The car looks good, has a nice manual transmission, and has good road manners, but that's about it.

Chamai

Banned
I am in the market for a 2nd car for myself to get to work. i am deciding between a honda ep3 or a lexus is300. i am leaning towards the lexus is300, but the prices aren't very good. they hold their value quite well for some reason. anyone have any experiences with these cars? are they reliable? i am just looking for a fun car that is around 5k-8k canadian.

here is my 06 cls500. i had it since day one. just found out that i need to replace all my tires. wires are showing in the front. i probably roll on stocks rims for now. specs are the following incase you are interested.

wald body kit with spoiler
lorinser style roof spoiler
prior design front grille
rays volk racing progressiv ts 20x9.5, 20x10.5. 255/30/20. 295/25/20
custom cat back exhaust- straight pipe with flow master mufflers
lowered with links
2500k fog lights (looks orange in the pic for some reason)
IMG_3177_zps958aa94e.jpg

just got these pics in, gotta love camber wear on my tires
14980_10152433066565702_994955365_n_zps40b3f68e.jpg

ascii42

How big of a difference is rear drum brakes vs. disc brakes? I know mechanically the difference but do they feel very different? I've been considering getting a newer car and was looking at the ford focus but I really hate how unless you upgrade it a lot you're stuck with drum brakes for the rear. I originally wanted a volkswagen but it seems the ford does pretty much everything better with the exception of drum brakes for the back. Should I care or am I over thinking having drums for the back?

On a small car like that, rear drums really isn't that big of a deal. But see for yourself by test driving them.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

I love the mods you made! That's one of my favorite cars and you fixed the main issues I had with the older models. You really did a fantastic job on that.

On a small car like that, rear drums really isn't that big of a deal. But see for yourself by test driving them.

Cool, thanks for the help. Ya, I would have to test drive yet, I was just wondering if it's a big enough deal to write it off completely or not. You can add rear brakes but it looks like it's part of a package and it forces it's shiftable automatic on you. I want a manual. :(

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Another year, another price hike for the ridiculously awesome Nissan GT-R. When the GT-R was introduced for the 2008 model year, it had a starting price of $69,850, increasing steadily each year up to $96,820 for 2013, and now Nissan has announced that the 2014 GT-R will have a base sticker price of $99,590 (*not including the destination charge, which has not been announced yet).

$30k!

So I was bored and pissed off about work so I hopped on my motorcycle (woo Texas!) and went by a local carmax. Turns out they had two M6's, an '07 and '08, both for right about $40k.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted, as they're gorgeous in person (I remember hating them when they came out, oddly enough), and they have 500hp, but I'm pretty sure the last thing in the world I need is a six year old V10 BMW.

I challenge you to convince me otherwise!

All the ABS pumps go out and cost around 4k FOR JUST THE PUMP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom