• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shapingo

Is it really true that new GTR can accelerate 0-60 in 2.7 seconds? Crap, how's that even physically possible...

Old video but check out how much faster the the new 2013 GTR is compared to the last
The "2 second club" (Road and Track)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4jOQFMlpdVI

Everyone has seen the new Corvette by now but man does it look good
2014 Corvette Stingray - Jay Leno's Garage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKrQrAn_hNA
Ignore the racist youtube comments, the designer is an African American

Chamai

Banned
I love the mods you made! That's one of my favorite cars and you fixed the main issues I had with the older models. You really did a fantastic job on that.

thank you for the kind words. i didn't like the cls when it was first introduced. but after seeing some promo pics of the car with the body kit, i knew this was the car for me. i was planning on the e60 m5 before but i decided to go with the cls. less power, but i think it was better looking.

can't wait until i pick up the honda ep3. i am going to have a blast modding that thing. gotta keep my budget low because i have kids now.

How big of a difference is rear drum brakes vs. disc brakes? I know mechanically the difference but do they feel very different? I've been considering getting a newer car and was looking at the ford focus but I really hate how unless you upgrade it a lot you're stuck with drum brakes for the rear. I originally wanted a volkswagen but it seems the ford does pretty much everything better with the exception of drum brakes for the back. Should I care or am I over thinking having drums for the back?

Unless you're racing it I really wouldn't worry. Disc brakes have much better braking power in relation to how big a wheel you need to fit around it, which is great for racing, but on passenger cars they're normally tiny and not much better then the drum brakes that would otherwise be used. The biggest downside for you will be the cost and time to inspect and maintain them.

N-Bomb

Yes, I'm still undecided about colours. I think I've settled on a red, if I go that route, but what are people's opinions on the best silver out there?

So far, Audi's Ice Silver Metallic, and Merc's Iridium Silver Metallic stand out, for me. Give me some more options here. Looking for a silver that's very... silvery, smooth, and reflective, with not much colour tint.

MisterNoisy

Yes, I'm still undecided about colours. I think I've settled on a red, if I go that route, but what are people's opinions on the best silver out there?

So far, Audi's Ice Silver Metallic, and Merc's Iridium Silver Metallic stand out, for me. Give me some more options here. Looking for a silver that's very... silvery, smooth, and reflective, with not much colour tint.

I'd say go for red. Silver is the new beige.

This is a flamepit, but I'll bite.
You won't find exciting straight-line performance...you'll get about average mid-size sedan acceleration levels of a V6 Altima or Camry, marginally slower.

You're being very kind to the FR-S/BRZ here. ;)

Mercedes has the best silver out there. What are you painting?

DPn8Qkw.jpg

aktham

OK dudes, I need a good used AWD car. I currently own a 2003 BMW 325i and a Z3. I'm trading the 325i for a better winter car. I don't want to spend more than 15K. Please give me your recommendations and stories. Thanks!

MisterNoisy

OK dudes, I need a good used AWD car. I currently own a 2003 BMW 325i and a Z3. I'm trading the 325i for a better winter car. I don't want to spend more than 15K. Please give me your recommendations and stories. Thanks!

A set of snow tires is way cheaper than another car.

iamblades

Unless you're racing it I really wouldn't worry. Disc brakes have much better braking power in relation to how big a wheel you need to fit around it, which is great for racing, but on passenger cars they're normally tiny and not much better then the drum brakes that would otherwise be used. The biggest downside for you will be the cost and time to inspect and maintain them.

Yeah drum rears don't really matter in your average econobox, but I still tend to look at them as a sign of needless penny pinching. I mean the cost difference for an OEM between discs and drums is at most $25 a wheel(this is probably a vast overestimation, all it really comes down to is a little bit more machining time, raw materials are the same or less, and the engineering is no more complicated, actually less). Is that saving really worth it when you can have an objectively better solution for performance, weight and maintenance?

Like I said, it's not a deciding factor, it just makes me question where else the beancounters cut corners.

iamblades

AWD winter beater for $15k? Ugh Subaru anything? Done.

Only other option I could think of would be a 4motion VW or something? There aren't many options for affordable AWD cars. Best option for practicality and reliability is definitely Subaru though.

aktham

Why not just buy a truck? Knobby tires, sandbags in the bed, nothing better.

I would like it to be a good starter family car as well (for when I start a family in a couple of years). I tend to keep a car until something MAJOR (expensive) happens and I'm forced to trade it in. I'm not really into racing either, so an AWD Impreza WRX seems like overkill for what it will be used for. My biggest priorities are in this order: reliability, inexpensive to maintain/repair and good gas mileage. Heated seats and AUX input would be a nice bonus, but not required lol.

Keep em coming guys.

N-Bomb

I'd say go for red. Silver is the new beige.

More or less, but there are no/very few Silver Scoobies of my generation. Jury is still out.

Mercedes has the best silver out there. What are you painting?

Probably the most expensive, too. My Impreza, this summer.

Sidebar: I found the most perfect parking lot tonight. Huge, regularly- and widely-spaced lights. No islands or curbs. Fresh snow. I spent near a half hour just 4-wheel power sliding around the place. My god, I've rarely had so much fun in the car, while learning how to control it better. I know where I'm going every time it snows, from now on.

Vyroxis

Banned
Sitting around today, realising I miss my summer truck. After the bar I may fire the girl up just to hear the motor purr.

I hate states that use salt in the winter.

Zoolader

I may be biased since I own one, but a nice Audi b5 S4 is fantastic in the snow and alot of fun. They can be a pain with maintenance but you can find a nice Stage III for around $12,000 and most of the common issues would have already been taken care of. Or you can search for one that was well taken care of for around $8,000 and save the rest for any repairs that can occur. This color is nagaro, my favorite. Here are some Audi quattro snow videos

Quattro snow plow
clearing neighbor's driveway
dead stop traffic in snow, make you're own lane
donuts and such s4

photo4.jpg

7981542128_ca3bf1ca21_b.jpg

0-60 just for fun

black_13

Banned
Why not just buy a truck? Knobby tires, sandbags in the bed, nothing better.

I don't get this "I need a truck for winter" mentality. They are heavy, have all the weight up front, terrible gas mileage, and really easy to roll if you do a turn too fast. SUV's are just as bad other than weight balance is a little better but all other things apply. People think they are "safer" when in fact they really aren't. Yea compared to a Smart car maybe but not to much else.

I've seen trucks stuck/in ditches just as much as small compact cars on really bad winter days. Why? Cause these drivers think they are invincible and drive way too fast.

My compact, manual 4wd car has never been stuck. Only time it had trouble was when it was heavy high snow in a parking lot and even then I "rocked it back and fourth" out by going reverse/1st gear switch quickly. That's only cause its fairly low. I've even gone past some trucks going up steephills on those bad days.

Yea if you need a truck/suv for work/kids that's understandable but I think 95% of the time they are not full. I say this because in my city there's almost more trucks/suv's on the road than sedans/coupes.

matmanx1

I would like it to be a good starter family car as well (for when I start a family in a couple of years). I tend to keep a car until something MAJOR (expensive) happens and I'm forced to trade it in. I'm not really into racing either, so an AWD Impreza WRX seems like overkill for what it will be used for. My biggest priorities are in this order: reliability, inexpensive to maintain/repair and good gas mileage. Heated seats and AUX input would be a nice bonus, but not required lol.

Keep em coming guys.

Why would it have to be a WRX? Subaru makes awd in almost all of their models these days. A Forrester, Outback or even base Impreza all come in awd and would be more reasonable than the WRX. I just checked out Carmax and they have all 3 models from around 2007 with awd in your price range.

Keep em coming guys.

I'm in the market for the same thing, and keep coming back to the 09 infiniti g37x.

nice interiors with plenty of toys, great speed and power, very well reviewed AWD, good gas mileage, and much cheaper to maintain than BMW or an Audi. Might be a LITTLE over your price range, but I've seen them for 16.5-17K in my area.

ascii42

Keep em coming guys.

Could just get a regular Impreza. The Legacy and Outback would also make good family cars, if you want something a little larger.

I don't get this "I need a truck for winter" mentality. They are heavy, have all the weight up front, terrible gas mileage, and really easy to roll if you do a turn too fast. SUV's are just as bad other than weight balance is a little better but all other things apply. People think they are "safer" when in fact they really aren't. Yea compared to a Smart car maybe but not to much else.

I've seen trucks stuck/in ditches just as much as small compact cars on really bad winter days. Why? Cause these drivers think they are invincible and drive way too fast.

My compact, manual 4wd car has never been stuck. Only time it had trouble was when it was heavy high snow in a parking lot and even then I "rocked it back and fourth" out by going reverse/1st gear switch quickly. That's only cause its fairly low. I've even gone past some trucks going up steephills on those bad days.

Yea if you need a truck/suv for work/kids that's understandable but I think 95% of the time they are not full. I say this because in my city there's almost more trucks/suv's on the road than sedans/coupes.

Being heavy is advantageous in the snow, trucks can be fitted with big tires which are also suited for snow, dropping a couple sandbags in the back fixes the weight distribution problem, and trucks also have much better ground clearance, which, you guessed it, great in the snow. I never said they where absolutely needed, but if you're just looking for a winter beater, trucks are the most appropriate tool for the job.

That being said, if he wants a family car more suited for winter, there are plenty of options for that too. I wouldn't recommend an Impreza though, I had a WRX and it was a little annoying in the winter- drafty cabin, doors would freeze a lot, etc.

coldfoot

Banned
I'm in the market for the same thing, and keep coming back to the 09 infiniti g37x.

nice interiors with plenty of toys, great speed and power, very well reviewed AWD, good gas mileage, and much cheaper to maintain than BMW or an Audi. Might be a LITTLE over your price range, but I've seen them for 16.5-17K in my area.

Or an EX if he wants a tiny bit more ground clearance and a more versatile configuration but you'd need a 2011 for the 7-speed auto and that'd be too expensive.

aktham

Keep em coming guys.

So after extensive research, I'm leaning toward a Chevrolet Equinox. What do you guys think? They cost 10-15k for a used one.

I found one that was nearly perfect today, but it sold right when I went to test drive it :(

golem

I may be biased since I own one, but a nice Audi b5 S4 is fantastic in the snow and alot of fun. They can be a pain with maintenance but you can find a nice Stage III for around $12,000 and most of the common issues would have already been taken care of. Or you can search for one that was well taken care of for around $8,000 and save the rest for any repairs that can occur. This color is nagaro, my favorite. Here are some Audi quattro snow videos
You are leading this man down a grim road.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Surprised at how well I fit into a FRS/BRZ.

But that interior. My god is it garbage.

ascii42

So after extensive research, I'm leaning toward a Chevrolet Equinox. What do you guys think? They cost 10-15k for a used one.

I found one that was nearly perfect today, but it sold right when I went to test drive it :(
Would that be a first generation Equinox? I don't have any experience with those, but the current generation impressed me.

coldfoot

Banned

This is meaningless without the model year and mileage...

reilo

It's utilitarian. I like the car, but I want more goodies so it's a nonstarter for me.

Utilitarian and good design aren't exclusive. If anything, it's one of Dieter Rams' guiding principles for good design.

MisterNoisy

Utilitarian and good design aren't exclusive. If anything, it's one of Dieter Rams' guiding principles for good design.

I don't think it's poorly designed. More a problem with materials than anything. The basic design is very well suited to a 'driver's car', much like the old S2000 interior was - bland, but functional .

When I look at the interior of the FR-S (the one that everyone shits on for interior materials/design), I see a thick-rimmed small diameter wheel, short throw shifter, a straightforward instrument cluster, great looking well-bolstered seats and a nice three-dial HVAC control setup. The goofy stereo takes away a little, but I could live with it as issued - it's hardly bad design in the sense that it takes away from usability tho.

reilo

I don't think it's poorly designed. More a problem with materials than anything. The basic design is very well suited to a 'driver's car', much like the old S2000 interior was - bland, but functional .

When I look at the interior of the FR-S (the one that everyone shits on for interior materials/design), I see a thick-rimmed small diameter wheel, short throw shifter, a straightforward instrument cluster, great looking well-bolstered seats and a nice three-dial HVAC control setup. The goofy stereo takes away a little, but I could live with it as issued - it's hardly bad design in the sense that it takes away from usability tho.

It's poorly designed. Especially the cupholder area. Why isn't that an armrest? The nav panel is literally an off-the-shelf component that looks like it was done by someone at Best Buy. The HVAC vents above the center console leading into the glove compartment looks like it was taken from a different car -- there's no fluidity or symmetry at all. The buttons to the left next to the tachometers are just terrible, and oddly placed.

coldfoot

Banned
S2000 interior is miles better than the FR-S interior for about the same cost when you take into account the much more expensive engine + convertible top in the S2000 plus the low production numbers.
Not even close.

amrihua

My father in law drives one. I borrow it for super long road trips. It's a couch, basically.

If you see the roads in rural Japan, a couch is what you should drive. Living in rural Japan you can't drive fast (speed limit 40 or 50km/h and they don't tolerate speeding), the streets are in an awful shape so driving a smooth-riding couch makes a lot of sense. It can go fast (0-97km/h in 6.7 seconds) and has a top speed -electronically limited- of 250km/h so it also makes a great highway cruiser though highways in Japan are limited to 80km/h.

I saw one of these in Kasukabe, Saitama done up in VIP style (not cambered out or anything, just dropped a bit with a kit and some wheels). Looked pretty nice, and it made me realize how similar the c-pillar and some other angles are to a Gloria/Cedric. Good looking car even if it has the old man reputation.

It is a beautiful car, I wanted one since the last gen first came out in 1998 and not being social most of my life I never knew it had that reputation, not that I would let the reputation of a product affect my decision to whether buy it or not.

I kinda want to buy one now. Mod it for RWD, drop in an LS9. Stupid beastcouch to suicide in.

!!

Seems like that would be tricky. You know, it might not be that hard to do an LS swap into the last generation of STS. Those are on the same platform as the CTS, which of course had LS engines in the V versions.

Reminds me of the twin Northstar V8 Eldorado -which is basically a coupe Seville- one in the front and one in the back and AWD.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/mosler-twinstar-eldorado-specialty-file.

MisterNoisy

S2000 interior is miles better than the FR-S interior for about the same cost when you take into account the much more expensive engine + convertible top in the S2000 plus the low production numbers.

Not even close.

I'm not disagreeing, but neither of these cars is a triumph of interior design. That said, my point is that neither of them commits any egregious faults in interior design either in my opinion (save for some cheap materials in the Scion/Subie, which is forgivable at the price point).

As far as the functional bits and general ergos are concerned, they're pretty similar. They're both very upright/flat dashboard/consoles with clear instrumentation, fairly simple controls and low cowls (a rarity these days) - perfectly driving-oriented spaces to while away the miles. I'd happily spend many hours in either.

coldfoot

Banned
The one that I missed was 2006 AWD Equinox with 85K miles. It had 1 owner and 29 service records from the same dealership. It was the LT model with heated leather seats. The 1st owner even installed a remote start with nearly new tires. The dealer was asking $10,400. It was the perfect winter car *sigh*

Here's the link until they probably remove the listing

I'd still recommend a RAV4 or a Honda CRV of similar year and mileage over this car. They are bound to be more reliable.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
The one that I missed was 2006 AWD Equinox with 85K miles. It had 1 owner and 29 service records from the same dealership. It was the LT model with heated leather seats. The 1st owner even installed a remote start with nearly new tires. The dealer was asking $10,400. It was the perfect winter car *sigh*

Here's the link until they probably remove the listing

We had one as a company vehicle for 2 years and I can't count how many times it was in the shop. 3 transmissions later the company finally got rid of it. Terrible, terrible vehicle.

Transmission issues aside we had numerous electrical and suspension issues.

amrihua

We had one as a company vehicle for 2 years and I can't count how many times it was in the shop. 3 transmissions later the company finally got rid of it. Terrible, terrible vehicle.

Transmission issues aside we had numerous electrical and suspension issues.

The transmission was made by Aisin in Japan.

aktham

I'd still recommend a RAV4 or a Honda CRV of similar year and mileage over this car. They are bound to be more reliable.

The dealer said that they have a RAV4 in that was just traded in, but it is in the detail shop still. He said it has 126K miles and they wanted $6900 or $7900 (I can't remember). He wasn't sure about the year model. I'm still keeping my options open and I'll keep you guys posted.

amrihua

The dealer said that they have a RAV4 in that was just traded in, but it is in the detail shop still. He said it has 126K miles and they wanted $6900 or $7900 (I can't remember). He wasn't sure about the year model. I'm still keeping my options open and I'll keep you guys posted.

As a 2009 Ford Fusion owner, I would recommend the Ford Edge, more or less the same mechanical components and my Fusion has been trouble free since I got it.

As a 2009 Ford Fusion owner, I would recommend the Ford Edge, more or less the same mechanical components and my Fusion has been trouble free since I got it.

Dang man you are hardcore repping the Ame-sha even living in the land of forbidden fruit. To each his own but I gotta admit it seems like a bit of a missed opportunity. Or maybe I just miss my Mark II.

amrihua

Dang man you are hardcore repping the Ame-sha even living in the land of forbidden fruit. To each his own but I gotta admit it seems like a bit of a missed opportunity. Or maybe I just miss my Mark II.

When I got a 2009 Ford Fusion it was all that I could afford at the time. It was significantly cheaper than a similarly specced Toyota Camry or Honda Accord and a few magazines put it ahead of everything except the Honda Accord at the time. It has been trouble free, I left home came to Japan, gave it to my younger brother and it is still trouble free, so far. *knock on wood*

Underneath the Ford Fusion is a reskinned Mazda 6 for less. It even has a Mazda transmission and engine. Similarly the Ford Edge shares much with the Mazda CX9.

Edit: I could be biased, I am a born-in-Michigan Arab-American. Dearborn wouldn't be full of us if it weren't for Ford. Detroit acknowledges our existence by having signs in Arabic at train stations, so... Yeah, I guess I am biased. May you please disregard my recommendation.

Luigiv

Hey guys, just posting some pics of my recently purchased vehicle, since this seems like the place to do it. This is the first car I've ever purchased. Until now I've been driving my mum's "Holden" Vectra so I'm quite happy with the upgrade.

It's a 2005 Subaru Liberty (or Legacy as you non-aussies know it better) 2.0i with the 5 speed manual transmission and luxury trim. Not the exactly the quickest thing in the world (0-100kph, 11.x secs '-_-) but it is still a blast to toss around. Set me back AU$15k, which given it's only done 58 thousand kms is pretty good by Australian standards (though I probably could have haggled it lower).

Anyway here are the pics.

And since I'm posting about of my 15k Subi, I guess I should chime into the current debate and recommend that aktham should get a Subi too. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom