• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuessWho

Thanks for the frs/brz comments, i am seriously considering getting one . I'm just worried that after the honey moon period, it will become a little frustrating due to it being less practical. It would be my daily driver and i would get the automatic as traffic is disastrous in Montreal. There is also yet question of how good/safe is the car in snow. I am so undecided.

MisterNoisy

Hey guys, just posting some pics of my recently purchased vehicle, since this seems like the place to do it. This is the first car I've ever purchased. Until now I've been driving my mum's "Holden" Vectra so I'm quite happy with the upgrade.

Congrats! :D

Your first car is always a memorable one. :)

When I got a 2009 Ford Fusion it was all that I could afford at the time. It was significantly cheaper than a similarly specced Toyota Camry or Honda Accord and a few magazines put it ahead of everything except the Honda Accord at the time. It has been trouble free, I left home came to Japan, gave it to my younger brother and it is still trouble free, so far. *knock on wood*

Underneath the Ford Fusion is a reskinned Mazda 6 for less. It even has a Mazda transmission and engine. Similarly the Ford Edge shares much with the Mazda CX9.

Edit: I could be biased, I am a born-in-Michigan Arab-American. Dearborn wouldn't be full of us if it weren't for Ford. Detroit acknowledges our existence by having signs in Arabic at train stations, so... Yeah, I guess I am biased. May you please disregard my recommendation.

Oh, I was just confused, I thought you owned both the Cadillac and the Ford in Japan. There's nothing wrong with buying a Ford when you're from Michigan.

N-Bomb

S2000 interior is miles better than the FR-S interior for about the same cost when you take into account the much more expensive engine + convertible top in the S2000 plus the low production numbers.

Not even close.

I guess I'd agree on some of the ergonomics, but nothing will ever get me to like the S2000's cluster. In at least that sense, the Toyobaru wins.

It's a 2005 Subaru Liberty (or Legacy as you non-aussies know it better) 2.0i with the 5 speed manual transmission and luxury trim. Not the exactly the quickest thing in the world (0-100kph, 11.x secs '-_-) but it is still a blast to toss around. Set me back AU$15k, which given it's only done 58 thousand kms is pretty good by Australian standards (though I probably could have haggled it lower).

I really think that's one of the best-looking cars Subaru has ever put out. Was briefly considering the GT here (I think that was the trim... the one with the hot engine).

Sidebar: I kinda wish I still had an xbox, just for trying out paint schemes. I wonder if I should go with a two-tone red/silver.

robox

BL5/BP5 legacy is a very handsome car. and indeed one of subaru's best designs. the generation after that, man what were they thinking??

it's right up there on my list of cars to get, if i weren't so dead set on rwd.

Luigiv

Congrats! :D

Your first car is always a memorable one. :)

I really think that's one of the best-looking cars Subaru has ever put out. Was briefly considering the GT here (I think that was the trim... the one with the hot engine).

BL5/BP5 legacy is a very handsome car. and indeed one of subaru's best designs. the generation after that, man what were they thinking??

it's right up there on my list of cars to get, if i weren't so dead set on rwd.

Thaks guys. Glad car-gaf approves.

N-Bomb

Thaks guys. Glad car-gaf approves.

The common-sense part of car-gaf, anyway. The leather couch part of car-gaf will probably tell you it's not refined enough. Ignore them.

Side: Man, the active aero on the Huayaryaha is so cool. Don't remember that from the Chris Harris drive.

plasmasd

Went Stage 2+ in my Golf R. Also on my third tank of 100 Octane. Let's race GAF!
P1020042_zps4e0aff27.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I was on Detroit Auto Show yesterday. So much fan, so many cars to see. Now I really want that Infiniti Q50 (G37 redesign). It looks stunning in real life.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Oh my god. If you have an ipad, go to the q50 gallery page and select the interior panning shot. The ipad auto detects the page and you rotate your ipad around the room to view the car interior, as if you're sitting in the driving seat. It's trippy.

I realize I am probably late to the party on the concept.

http://www.infinitiusa.com/all-new-q50/gallery/

plasmasd

I have a stage 2 06 passat and I want to get a performance hpfp before summer and that will put me at stage 2 plus, so let me ask you, is stage 2 plus a pretty ok difference?

I went from stock w/intake straight to 2+. The difference was staggering. I imagine the HPFP alone just increases HP/TQ across the whole range. Just make sure to upgrade your cam follower at the same time if it hasn't been replaced lately.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Mainly the dash.

1. GTR-esque knobs for climate control.
2. Navigation system.
3. Heated seats.
4. Engine start button.

Small change but makes it a better looking interior than FRS in my opinion.

The navigation looks like an aftermarket kit that was installed by a Best Buy employee in both cars. And what you listed are features, that doesn't mean that they were designed/implemented better. The cupholders are just laughable. I'm pretty sure you can buy cupholders from Wal-Mart to put in your car.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I was on Detroit Auto Show yesterday. So much fan, so many cars to see. Now I really want that Infiniti Q50 (G37 redesign). It looks stunning in real life.

I went to the Houston Auto Show over the weekend and most of the debut cars were still in Detroit. It was really bad timing as no concept or limited run cars were there at all. I did want to see the Q50 as I drive a G37 myself but no dice. Only the G37 IPL.

Rad Agast

Hey guys, just posting some pics of my recently purchased vehicle, since this seems like the place to do it. This is the first car I've ever purchased. Until now I've been driving my mum's "Holden" Vectra so I'm quite happy with the upgrade.

It's a 2005 Subaru Liberty (or Legacy as you non-aussies know it better) 2.0i with the 5 speed manual transmission and luxury trim. Not the exactly the quickest thing in the world (0-100kph, 11.x secs '-_-) but it is still a blast to toss around. Set me back AU$15k, which given it's only done 58 thousand kms is pretty good by Australian standards (though I probably could have haggled it lower).

Anyway here are the pics.

And since I'm posting about of my 15k Subi, I guess I should chime into the current debate and recommend that aktham should get a Subi too. :p

Congrats on the new purchase. I like the legacy. Enjoy it :)

N-Bomb

The navigation looks like an aftermarket kit that was installed by a Best Buy employee in both cars. And what you listed are features, that doesn't mean that they were designed/implemented better. The cupholders are just laughable. I'm pretty sure you can buy cupholders from Wal-Mart to put in your car.

Meh, you're just being dicky-picky here. The transmission tunnel is the only thing I can really find fault with there. The circle shifter trim looks fat, and the cupholders are just wrong. Otherwise, I'd rather not have a smoke of what you're high on.

HVAC controls look fine, and at least the deck looks like a standard double DIN unit you can easily replace with a better single DIN and a pocket.

The cluster is like 90% of the reason I bought the s2000 lol

Ahh, our old '86 Lebaron had a digital dash too, and it was neat for a few drives before I got used to it. Fun in the winter when the LCD got cold and response turned to molasses. :)

reilo

Meh, you're just being dicky-picky here. The transmission tunnel is the only thing I can really find fault with there. The circle shifter trim looks fat, and the cupholders are just wrong. Otherwise, I'd rather not have a smoke of what you're high on.

HVAC controls look fine, and at least the deck looks like a standard double DIN unit you can easily replace with a better single DIN and a pocket.

Thanks for validating my opinion and by proving me right by being on the opposite spectrum. Cause, I mean, c'mon:

reilo said:
The navigation looks like an aftermarket kit that was installed by a Best Buy employee in both cars.

That's not GOOD DESIGN.

So for the first time I really got under the 944 I picked up cheap to poke around...This thing ain't gonna be doing any racing in its lifetime. Just a mess of parts rusting away, the warped floorpan, and a body that will take too much effort for its value.

Oh well, step 1: Remove drivetrain, step 2: find broken down car in no-rust-ever Texas.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
True story...

I'm in a hotel right now. There's an air-con unit in here. The manufacturer?

AMANA. I burst out in laughter.

N-Bomb

That's not GOOD DESIGN.

I'd argue it's great design - it's recognizing that nothing they put in there at sticker prices is going to be any good, so you might as well make it easy for someone to replace.

What they REALLY should have done is make the radio an option, so you can save $50 and spec out your own deck.

reilo

I'd argue it's great design - it's recognizing that nothing they put in there at sticker prices is going to be any good, so you might as well make it easy for someone to replace.

What they REALLY should have done is make the radio an option, so you can save $50 and spec out your own deck.

/rolleyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom