• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0n44m

It didn't seem THAT bad. Our most recent rental was Peugeot 5008, which was pretty large, and we did alright.

We're going to have two cars, though. One larger, nicer car and a second smaller hatch. We need four doors, though.

when you ask "too large to handle in a city" what exactly are you doing in that city ? street parking close to shopping areas is either very expensive or prohibited in most large cities these days, and free spots are often extremely rare.

Parking in a parking garage is less of an issue (apart from really busy days), just prepare to move backward and forward a lot if you drive something with wide tires ;) as most garages and parking spots will be rather tight

In general something like an A6 is no issue if you live in the suburbs and park in a parking garage when you visit a city, but if you're actually living in the city center you might end up parking a long way from home ... (assuming you have no private parking spot)

but then again like Onkel said even with a Golf you'll have that issue, and if a 5008 was OK I don't think an A6 would be problematic

Also, parking on the streets in French city centers = scratches & dents everywhere eventually :p parking bumper to bumper is the norm and to leave your spot you just ... well ... bump the rest out of the way. Saw a beautiful CLS in Strasbourg some weeks ago that could have only left its spot without scratches if its wheels would be able to turn 90 degrees sideways :'(

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
In case you guys watched the UK Top Gear episode last Sunday and did not get the joke about the Bentley and Mario Balotelli, here is his Bentley:

2eCxalH.jpg

Honestly, most footballers have AWFUL tastes. With Mario...you need only to look at his hair to know he has no fashion sense. Hahaha

Athletes in general do. It's quite an uncanny hand-in-hand trait.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, so what's up with two tone leather seats? I see these from time to time and am absolutely dying to have them in my next car *BUT* they seem extremely rare and, more curiously, they are very rarely an option on the manufacturers website even if you pick a top model.

Are people adding custom inserts? I swear I've seen some of these cars come straight from the factory with these special seats. Is there any way to add this feature in a car? The 5 series I have my eye on only has black leather, which is fine, but I'd like some color.

What about ventilated seats? Why is this feature so damn rare? I know that could not be added but ever since I experienced them in a rental Kia Optima (of all things) I really wanted them for myself. Yet, they are very fucking hard to find as an option unless you go for the top end models. Are there even any mid-range German sedans that offer this feature?

It seems that finding the exact car I want is going to be very difficult. :\

when you ask "too large to handle in a city" what exactly are you doing in that city ? street parking close to shopping areas is either very expensive or prohibited in most large cities these days, and free spots are often extremely rare.

Parking in a parking garage is less of an issue (apart from really busy days), just prepare to move backward and forward a lot if you drive something with wide tires ;) as most garages and parking spots will be rather tight

In general something like an A6 is no issue if you live in the suburbs and park in a parking garage when you visit a city, but if you're actually living in the city center you might end up parking a long way from home ... (assuming you have no private parking spot)

but then again like Onkel said even with a Golf you'll have that issue, and if a 5008 was OK I don't think an A6 would be problematic

Also, parking on the streets in French city centers = scratches & dents everywhere eventually :p parking bumper to bumper is the norm and to leave your spot you just ... well ... bump the rest out of the way. Saw a beautiful CLS in Strasbourg some weeks ago that could have only left its spot without scratches if its wheels would be able to turn 90 degrees sideways :'(
Well, at home, we actually have a two car garage so that's not an issue. I suppose we're close enough to walk most downtown places and, if we need to, we can take the smaller, cheaper car. I'd probably use the larger car for going to work, going to other areas, longer trips, etc.

AlphaSnake

I'm thinking my next big car purchase is going to be a V8 Vantage. Prices have come down so much on them.

Good luck on maintenance. I don't know a single DIY-er who has successfully worked on the car themselves. They are ludicrously expensive to maintain.

Good luck on maintenance. I don't know a single DIY-er who has successfully worked on the car themselves. They are ludicrously expensive to maintain.

I'm looking around online for any DIY articles, and it seems your right. I need to keep on reading.

Its down to this or an E92 M3, once the F80 M4 comes out.

AlphaSnake

I'm looking around online for any DIY articles, and it seems your right. I need to keep on reading.

Its down to this or an E92 M3, once the F80 M4 comes out.

Apart from a spark plug or coil pack change...almost everything related to the motor requires dropping it. :|

Clutch job is $5000+, automatic or stick.

usctrojan

what in the fuck mercedes? first the ugly e class facelift and now this shit. I hate digital displays. analogue dashboards ftw!

I think the e-class facelift is sexy, but that s-class interior update is pure horrible. besides looking classic it looks stupid with two side by side screens.

PS: Just picked up a used e90!!! so excited...

Apart from a spark plug or coil pack change...almost everything related to the motor requires dropping it. :|

Clutch job is $5000+, automatic or stick.

I want to see why it costs 5k dollars to do a clutch.

Found it. Have to remove the transaxle, exhaust manifold, torque tube, and a ton of other shit. None

AlphaSnake

Yeah, labor is 9 hours apparently, multiply that by $200. Part itself is $2500.

I've looked into all of this stuff when considering an Aston.

n0n44m

Hehe the Dutch prices I heard on Aston Martin maintenance were almost triple that ... in Euros ...

OK, so what's up with two tone leather seats? [...]

Well, at home, we actually have a two car garage so that's not an issue. I suppose we're close enough to walk most downtown places and, if we need to, we can take the smaller, cheaper car. I'd probably use the larger car for going to work, going to other areas, longer trips, etc.

then you're absolutely fine with a 5-series/A6 (ever thought about a 3/A4 wagon ?)

There is sometimes the option to get your new car fitted with leather by a specialized company even before official delivery. Apparently pretty popular here in the Netherlands because of tax reasons, and the quality is often better too. We had the possibility to have our Peugeot dealer take care of the process when we ordered ours, so it would've been done with dealer warranty. They've done two-tone as well according to their website.

I'd just ask your local dealer about what is possible.

Knowing car companies they probably reserve it for "special" editions or something. Or they want you to use their "custom" programs, which are probably expensive like hell. No clue about ventilated seats :)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
They are the iMacs of the car industry after all. (Overpriced and overrated, but aesthetically appealing).
You shut your filthy whore mouth.

And new iMacs are fucking amazing. I haven't seen such fabulous industrial PC design/tech like that anywhere.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
And to further a point, high cost of maintenance isn't exclusive to AM. It's a $100k+ marquee brand after all.

For example, a single sparkplug costs $100 for a new M3. Now multiply that by the number of cylinders...

bcl0328

hey guys. my mom has a 2003 dodge neon and the oil light started blinking the other day after she got an oil change at good year. the oil level is fine though. what else could it be?

coldfoot

Banned
And to further a point, high cost of maintenance isn't exclusive to AM. It's a $100k+ marquee brand after all.

For example, a single sparkplug costs $100 for a new M3. Now multiply that by the number of cylinders...

Should only be 6 for a real M3 :)

Thats simply not true as I priced some out for a friend last week.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MU5LSI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

11 dollars each.

I also found the AM clutch for 1200 bucks, and the labor doesn't look that hard, about as hard as a clutch on a 944 Turbo.

hey guys. my mom has a 2003 dodge neon and the oil light started blinking the other day after she got an oil change at good year. the oil level is fine though. what else could it be?

Oil Level Sensor.

I guess I was lied to because it certainly didn't make sense. I wonder if it was pertaining to something else then?

Possible it was the coil pack as you need 8 of those and they are around 90 dollar dealer price.

Although buying bmw parts at the dealer is just asking to throw your money away since they normally run a 50-300% markup on parts.

Although its rare that coil packs actually go bad, my 98 M3 has had 1 go bad.

aktham

I would not spend $6500 on a really old high mileage RAV4. I mean for a bit more like 10K you should at least be able to get a 05/06 with less than 100K.

If you can find me what with your description then point me that way lol

05/06 RAV4s with over 100K miles are selling for 13-16k around my area

amrihua

Check the oil level is sufficient. If it is, check in the manual how to switch off the light.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I cant see myself in any other car. I know people who are on their 3rd fj (after accidents). And people who own two of them, his and hers.

You gotta really love a car to buy two of them at the same time.

Nah. You're right. OEM spark plugs are expensive as hell.

And 90% of the time the OEM BMW is rebranded NGK.

I cant see myself in any other car. I know people who are on their 3rd fj (after accidents). And people who own two of them, his and hers.

I had 4 E30s at once. And 2 E36 M3s.

Safe to say my love lies in older BMWs.

cbox

Question, so some asshole decided to key my car. Does this look like it went down to the bare metal? Looks like the primer layer... Anyone have any easy tips to fix this? Cheers.

PS. this sucks.

i3r5kCYhwUEwl.JPG

ascii42

Question, so some asshole decided to key my car. Does this look like it went down to the bare metal? Looks like the primer layer... Anyone have any easy tips to fix this? Cheers.

PS. this sucks.

i3r5kCYhwUEwl.JPG

Is that black metallic paint? Yeah. That's not going to be fun.

People suck.

cbox

Is that black metallic paint? Yeah. That's not going to be fun.

People suck.

It's a graphite grey, I used my flash so it's bringing out the sparkle really heavily. I think i just want to protect it from the elements and at least have it slightly match the paint. I'm not looking to make it look brand new again, I don't care enough for that level of finish. If it helps, I have a 2010 mazda 3.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
800px-2010_Ford_F-150_Platinum_--_07-10-2010.jpg

No word yet on how much it will tow, or if there will be a King Ranch edition available.

Speaking of which, here's a thing we have been working on. It's a Raptor, with some stuff to boost output to over 600 horses. And we tracked it last week. More details soon.

7RFjtqm.jpg

matmanx1

Speaking of which, here's a thing we have been working on. It's a Raptor, with some stuff to boost output to over 600 horses. And we tracked it last week. More details soon.

7RFjtqm.jpg

Nice! And what's the reason for the tiny little one on the ground in the front of the picture? I find it quite humorous!

Enron

Banned

I know a couple that have two Honda Fits.

*vomit*

It's a graphite grey, I used my flash so it's bringing out the sparkle really heavily. I think i just want to protect it from the elements and at least have it slightly match the paint. I'm not looking to make it look brand new again, I don't care enough for that level of finish. If it helps, I have a 2010 mazda 3.

Touch up paint or nail polish. Use dish soap to remove the wax around the area, paint over the scratches, after it hardens very carefully wet sand the area with very fine grade sandpaper, you don't want to sand off the clear coat, then just re-wax the area 5 or 6 times.

witness

Need some buying opinions. We are looking at a 2006 mustang gt premium that has custom rims and has a cold air intake (and i assume a tune) with 67k miles for 15,900. We are also looking at newer, 2011 and 2012, mustang v6s. Most are low mileage in the 16-18k range. While the better mileage and newer year entice me to the v6, i know it cant produce that v8 sound and torque.

My wife and i are going after work tomorrow, and i am so excited.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Need some buying opinions. We are looking at a 2006 mustang gt premium that has custom rims and has a cold air intake (and i assume a tune) with 67k miles for 15,900. We are also looking at newer, 2011 and 2012, mustang v6s. Most are low mileage in the 16-18k range. While the better mileage and newer year entice me to the v6, i know it cant produce that v8 sound and torque.

My wife and i are going after work tomorrow, and i am so excited.

Is it a second car or the primary vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom