• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Rzez

The FT86 "Open Concept" is official now, and will be fully unveiled at Geneva. This looks much better than I would have expected. I'm always apprehensive when coupes get made into drop-tops, but this actually has decent lines with the top down. I'm not the target buyer for this type of vehicle, but with the way the Miata still sells very well, giving people another option in that market can't hurt.

Yuck. Should've just made a Targa version instead.

03-2014-jeep-grand-cherokee-ecodiesel-fd-1361862623.jpg

That's hot. Though, I am partial to Jeeps. I even think the new Cherokee is pretty cool.

FT-86 convertible already looks better than the hardtop. Lack of power might be an issue in the coupe, but I'd be perfectly happy with its engine in a droptop.
Still, they should have deleted the rear seats, so we could have something close to a new S2000.

I'm sorry the hardtop looks better, who needs all that weight? and why does it have to lose the back seats to be "more like an S2000" its more like an AE86 which is worlds better.

Yuck. Should've just made a Targa version instead.

I wholeheartedly agreee, now its going to be purchased by women and old people.... LAME

Rad Agast

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/MechDX/hemi_zps7718d622.jpg

Just bought tonight. 2012 Ram Texas Edition with the 5.7L Hemi engine. Sticker was $39000 got it for $26600 after trade, Nice truck!

Congratulations on the new truck. I like Ram but never tried it before. May it serve you well.

coldfoot

Banned
I'm sorry the hardtop looks better, who needs all that weight?
Weight and looks have nothing to do with each other. Just because something weighs more does not mean that it looks worse. Besides, looks are subjective while weight isn't.

and why does it have to lose the back seats to be "more like an S2000" its more like an AE86 which is worlds better.
Useless back seats are one of the stupidest design elements in a car. This car would have a usable trunk if it ditched the rear seats, not to mention it'd be lighter. Also, no AE86 is better than a S2000.

I wholeheartedly agreee, now its going to be purchased by women and old people.... LAME
This mindset will get you far in the world. Old people and women buying a car is the best thing ever, it means more sales and lower insurance rates.

Good god that is awful. Like really bad awful, I'm not sure what the philosophy is behind the design but surely the designers must of known there would be a backlash.

That is really ugly.

The FT86 "Open Concept" is official now, and will be fully unveiled at Geneva. This looks much better than I would have expected. I'm always apprehensive when coupes get made into drop-tops, but this actually has decent lines with the top down. I'm not the target buyer for this type of vehicle, but with the way the Miata still sells very well, giving people another option in that market can't hurt.

FT86 Club - Open Concept thread - (Many more pics there)

YouTube Video

j7Q7IJn.jpg

lzelhK9.jpg

yBLJsmY.jpg

Umm... WOW! I would so love to upgrade to this!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
FT-86 convertible already looks better than the hardtop. Lack of power might be an issue in the coupe, but I'd be perfectly happy with its engine in a droptop.
Still, they should have deleted the rear seats, so we could have something close to a new S2000.

Really, what everyone is actually asking for is this:

Mazdaspeed MX-5

Done.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Really, what everyone is actually asking for is this:

Mazdaspeed MX-5

Done.

I think the market for the convertible SubaYota is probably pretty small. Any impact on the performance or handling and it becomes a really weird and difficult choice. As you note, Mazdaspeed MX-5 is already a beastmode version of the same concept.

friday

God why are designers so bad at grills? The new lexus IS has a terrible grill too. Honestly if I didn't know any better I would think the Jeep was some kind of photoshop joke.

any reason I should not be interested in a 2010 BMW 328i with about 40k miles on it? The local dealership has 3 of them with very similar milage/features and they seem super affordable. Consumer reports rates these as very reliable used.

I suck at cars and buying them so feel free to call me an idiot :)

TheContact

so my car won't start right, I have to hold the gas pedal down when the ignition is trying to turn over to get it to start up. i took it to a mechanic who specializes in diagnosing problems and he said it was my fuel injectors. He said my car wasn't holding the fuel pressure overnight, becuase after the car runs for a little while it doesn't have a problem starting up on its own, but when it sits for 5+ hours is when it won't start on its own. My car has 50k miles on it and the second opinions I got said that was unlikely the problem to be the fuel injectors, but I spoke to my warranty company and they said they would cover $1,000 worth. The mechanic quoted me 1,040 so I figured my bill would be $40 plus the $110 to diagnose, plus the $100 deductable from the warranty company. The mechanic replaced the injectors (and added a fuel filter without telling me, I didn't even know I had to pay this until I showed up to pick up my car, and charged me an extra $300 for it inc. labor) Already annoyed, but happy that my car was going to be fixed, I went home and started it up next morning and it was having the same problem...

I took it back to him and he said he'd try to find out the problem again. Am I obligated to pay him again if he diagnoses a different problem or is fixing the problem on the mechanic since he misdiagnosed the problem? I'm already $500+ in the hole for this and the problem isn't even fixed.

Aguirre

so my car won't start right, I have to hold the gas pedal down when the ignition is trying to turn over to get it to start up. i took it to a mechanic who specializes in diagnosing problems and he said it was my fuel injectors. He said my car wasn't holding the fuel pressure overnight, becuase after the car runs for a little while it doesn't have a problem starting up on its own, but when it sits for 5+ hours is when it won't start on its own. My car has 50k miles on it and the second opinions I got said that was unlikely the problem to be the fuel injectors, but I spoke to my warranty company and they said they would cover $1,000 worth. The mechanic quoted me 1,040 so I figured my bill would be $40 plus the $110 to diagnose, plus the $100 deductable from the warranty company. The mechanic replaced the injectors (and added a fuel filter without telling me, I didn't even know I had to pay this until I showed up to pick up my car, and charged me an extra $300 for it inc. labor) Already annoyed, but happy that my car was going to be fixed, I went home and started it up next morning and it was having the same problem...

I took it back to him and he said he'd try to find out the problem again. Am I obligated to pay him again if he diagnoses a different problem or is fixing the problem on the mechanic since he misdiagnosed the problem? I'm already $500+ in the hole for this and the problem isn't even fixed.

this is EXACTLY what my landcruiser does. now granted, it has just ticked over 500k, but it does the same dang thing! in morning after sitting all night, it wont start - it will just turn over and over, it wont even offer to start: because the engine is starved of fuel! so i have to get out and hand prime the fuel filter because the diesel is draining back to the tank. once pressures built up after priming it, it starts instantly and will be ok for the rest of the day.

it doesnt really bother me! but when i first got it, i narrowed it down to two suspects: fuel filter housing was drawing air and the lift pump (this keeps the fuel pressured, for when the fuel pump requires it) was broke.

i dont even see how it could be the injectors if the fuel isnt even getting to them.

just my 2cents :)

ascii42

any reason I should not be interested in a 2010 BMW 328i with about 40k miles on it? The local dealership has 3 of them with very similar milage/features and they seem super affordable. Consumer reports rates these as very reliable used.

I suck at cars and buying them so feel free to call me an idiot :)

Seems like a reasonable amount of mileage for 2010. Are they CPO, by any chance? Or have some sort of warrantee?

Yep, gotta pay the man. Work based on diagnostics is never really guaranteed, and it comes down to him saying "I think it's this" and you saying "I agree, fix it."

Did you have a leakdown test done on it? Anyone look at the pressure regulator? I don't know fuel systems that well but that's what comes to mind.

ascii42

Yeah Certified Preowned. Work firewall won't let me out to read the exact terms of the warranty though.

That's good.

BMW's Website said:
Every Certified Pre-Owned BMW comes with a protection plan designed to give you the ultimate peace of mind, covering you for up to
6 years/100,000 miles with 24/7 Roadside Assistance included. In addition, all previously scheduled maintenance is brought up to date before
it becomes certified.

Our warranty has broad coverage that includes engine, automatic/manual transmission, final-drive assembly, steering, hydraulic brake parts,
anti-lock braking system, electrical, air conditioning/heating system, cooling system and fuel system.

Aside from overall wear and use, there are various items not covered by the BMW CPO Warranty. These include upkeep items
such as the engine and transmission, body and interior items such as paint, glass and headlights, and accessory items such as the navigation
system and CD changer.

More or less what I would expect. Looks like you'd have around 3 years and 60k miles of warrantee, if I'm reading that right. The website also has the checklist they go through to certify the car. I don't know what is or isn't a good price on those cars, but I would go for it if you feel comfortable with the price.

TheContact

Yep, gotta pay the man. Work based on diagnostics is never really guaranteed, and it comes down to him saying "I think it's this" and you saying "I agree, fix it."

Did you have a leakdown test done on it? Anyone look at the pressure regulator? I don't know fuel systems that well but that's what comes to mind.

Well the thing he is said "I know this is the problem" and when I asked him why he didn't deduct his diagnosis cost from the repair (like most auto shops do) he said it's because his diagnoses are very accurate and that's his speciality is diagnosing problems and he is more accurate than the actual companies repair shops. I know very little about cars--if an expert tells me that's the problem I have no choice but to believe them.

If a customer came into my shop with a broken PC and I said it was the motherboard, replaced the motherboard, but the customer was still having problems, that would be on me to do the real fix for free or not charge them for the original cost. That's just how I do business anyway.

ascii42

Well the thing he is said "I know this is the problem" and when I asked him why he didn't deduct his diagnosis cost from the repair (like most auto shops do) he said it's because his diagnoses are very accurate and that's his speciality is diagnosing problems and he is more accurate than the actual companies repair shops. I know very little about cars--if an expert tells me that's the problem I have no choice but to believe them.

If a customer came into my shop with a broken PC and I said it was the motherboard, replaced the motherboard, but the customer was still having problems, that would be on me to do the real fix for free or not charge them for the original cost. That's just how I do business anyway.

Depends. I'd still change for parts, but I wouldn't charge for labor.

robox

God why are designers so bad at grills? The new lexus IS has a terrible grill too. Honestly if I didn't know any better I would think the Jeep was some kind of photoshop joke.

i've sorta watched the whole grill thing with interest over the years. some makers have had the same general grill design of years: bmw, alfa romeo, jeep. others have not and have tried to, and failed, over the years to obtain that identity and cachet that a unique grill gives.

some funny episodes i recall:
- nissan and the bucktooth
- when both mazda and acura had the same 5 point inverted pyramid grill at the same time
- subaru with the snout nose that was on the impreza and tribeca for all of 2 years
- lexus have ranged from handsome to boring, but not outright ugly like this new grill
- i sorta like the cherokee's grill. it's pretty neat. it's the split headlights are the killer for me

cajunator

Banned

FT86 Club - Open Concept thread - (Many more pics there)

YouTube Video

j7Q7IJn.jpg

lzelhK9.jpg

yBLJsmY.jpg

Goddamn this car needs a complete nose job. the front end of it is just completely awful in every way.

How in God's name could a fuel filter cost $300? And he put it on without even telling you? I'd tell him to take it off and shove it up his asshole. And $1000 to replace the fuel injectors? WTF! The guy sounds like a con artist. It was probably your fuel pressure regulator, should have cost about $150 to fix, including labor. I'd raise hell, talk to the BBB, maybe this guy has other reports on him.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
With Jag's all aluminum platforms that are far and away better than what BMW and Audi offer (seriously, the XJ handles infinitely better than either the 7-series or A8) I expect nothing but amazing from this new baby Jag.

I'm thinking the name will be XE (one letter below F) to give naming consistency.

KingGondo

Banned
Looking at a 2004 Subaru Forester 2.5XT to replace my wife's old Hyundai Accent.

Test drove it today, and I really liked it. Has a lot of power (2.5L turbo) and this one seems very clean (84k miles, two owners, and a clean Carfax report).

I'm getting a full inspection from my mechanic on Monday. Any more advice from auto-GAF? This will be the first used car I've bought.

ascii42

With Jag's all aluminum platforms that are far and away better than what BMW and Audi offer (seriously, the XJ handles infinitely better than either the 7-series or A8) I expect nothing but amazing from this new baby Jag.

I'm thinking the name will be XE (one letter below F) to give naming consistency.

That would make sense, or XC. xA, xB, and xD have already been used by Scion.

Halvie

Banned

Do you own a veyron? How could it be anywhere close to that otherwise.

stldave2

Took this shot at COTA last month. Was a HELL of a weekend! I got to setup shop in Alonso's garage... was great times until a close encounter with the wall inside turn 19:( Hooray duct tape!

COTA1small.jpg

Reven

Took this shot at COTA last month. Was a HELL of a weekend! I got to setup shop in Alonso's garage... was great times until a close encounter with the wall inside turn 19:( Hooray duct tape!

COTA1small.jpg

Gorgeous viper, I didn't know they were doing track days at COTA but I am glad to see they are.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

I've heard XS, but XE makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom