• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascii42

Is this where we have questions regarding purchases of cars?
I've narrowed my choices down to a few and still having trouble deciding
Honda Accord Euro (Acura TSX for NA)
Mazda 3 SP23
Holden (GM) Cruze
Lancer Vrx

2008-2009 models for all of them except the cruze which is 2011

Last post on page, bad luck there. I'm not very familiar with any of those, but I'll quote so more people may see it.

equap

Banned
I'm not crazy in thinking that the LaFerrari looks like the new Pagani, right?
what are you talking about?
2011_pagani_huayra_32-4d3f806933f15.jpg

001-ferrari-laferrari.jpg

ruxtpin

Banned
Is there any word on how much that new Alfa Romeo 4C is supposed to cost? I've seen "rumors" that it'll be around 60k USD. Has there been an official pricing announcement yet?

I'm not crazy in thinking that the LaFerrari looks like the new Pagani, right?

Aside from sharing the shape that mid-engine supercars kind of have to have they share nothing in common.

The LaFerrari is also a pretty odd looking car, but at least it looks better than the Enzo.

Fake edit: Nevermind I just saw the top of the windshield, what is going on with that curve? Who thought that was a good idea? Such a strange looking car.

Ferrari just needs to drop it with their styling, all they do is make ridiculous looking cars and say "But aerodynamics!" No. Stop it. Aero that none of your owners will really notice or care about is a poor justification for making odd looking and ugly cars.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The LaFerrari looks even uglier than an Enzo.

Never thought I would say that, but here we are.

The days of aerodynamics ruling over beauty has to stop.

Wind tunnels don't care about design. They want 250 mph there is one shape to get it... Pagani, bugatti, ferrari, mclaren all are going to have the same profile.

Aside from sharing the shape that mid-engine supercars kind of have to have they share nothing in common.

Those are fair points. I dunno, the shape and the rear made me really think of the Pagani. But when you are looking for the best aerodynamics, there is going to be some overlap in the high performance designs. So that is probably why my brain made the connection.

Watevaman

Wind tunnels don't care about design. They want 250 mph there is one shape to get it... Pagani, bugatti, ferrari, mclaren all are going to have the same profile.

And I like that. Maybe I'm in the minority, but aesthetics can only bring a car so far. I'm all for the ugliest shape if it gets you ten times your weight in downforce.

That said, the Ferrari is a beauty.

And I like that. Maybe I'm in the minority, but aesthetics can only bring a car so far. I'm all for the ugliest shape if it gets you ten times your weight in downforce.

That said, the Ferrari is a beauty.

It is not a race car. It is a road car and many of the people who buy them don't give a crap about racing. So really who gives a shit if it has 10% more downforce at 120mph than the last model?

Did the Enzo or anything based on the Enzo even race at any point or were the 360 and 430 GT cars the only race cars Ferrari had?

Watevaman

It is not a race car. It is a road car and many of the people who buy them don't give a crap about racing. So really who gives a shit if it has 10% more downforce at 120mph than the last model?

Did the Enzo or anything based on the Enzo even race at any point or were the 360 and 430 GT cars the only race cars Ferrari had?

The FXX?

It may be a street car but damn if some aren't gonna make it to the track. That's where the design philosophy pays off in the better specs.

The FXX?

It may be a street car but damn if some aren't gonna make it to the track. That's where the design philosophy pays off in the better specs.

The FXX was just a testbed vehicle that owners didn't even really own. They could only be driven at tracks under Ferrari supervision and there were what, 10 of them in total? The FXX was essentially an R&D program directly subsidized by extra-wealthy Ferrari owners.

FStop7

Banned
There is zero similarity between the Huayara and that new Ferrari I refuse to mention by name other than the fact they share the short, sloped nose and extended flanks that are dictated by being mid engined. In fact, the Ferrari's nose isn't even that short.

FStop7

Banned

There was a canceled Enzo race car project that became the FXX.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
001-ferrari-laferrari.jpg

Personally, I think that looks stunning and exactly what Ferrari needed to do. It looks like a proper hypercar.

The name, however, is dumb.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Nostalgia is the greatest blowjob of all time.

I prefer form over function, or at least something that doesn't look like the designer sat on the clay model by accident.

I'll take a Koiengsegg Agera R, Pagani Huayra, or a Porsche 918 over the LaAztek any day, in my dreams.

Hmm, the MC12? It certainly made a name for itself in GT1, although it shared little with the Enzo besides the tub/subframes and powertrain.

The mid-engine V8 cars have been the backbone of Ferrari's GT racing since the demise of GT1, and even before.

coldfoot

Banned
That F50 is hideous. Ferrari just reiterated their number 1 position with this car. 9250 rpm + HY-KERS is a proper supercar for 2013.
McLaren P1 is close, but their approach to power is lazy and not worthy of a $1M pricetag. High revving NA engines > Turbo engines. Turbo is the cheap way to make power.
That's why you see lots of 1000+ hp GT-R's, Supra's etc, but you don't see a 9000 rpm car often.

N-Bomb

I know. It's too heavy.

No... because it's not an exotic.

Lambos are exotics. Many Ferraris are exotics. A Saleen S7 is. A Pagani is. A Shelby Mustang GT500 is not. An Ariel Atom is not. A Corvette is not. A Veyron is an exotic. A Viper might be, and you might make a case for a GT-R.

Yes to a Carerra GT, yes to the 918. I hesitate to call the GT1 an exotic, because generally they're not race cars, but one could make that argument. But a 911 is not.

Exotic has nothing to do with weight. :p

coldfoot

Banned

Lambos are exotics. Many Ferraris are exotics. A Saleen S7 is. A Pagani is. A Shelby Mustang GT500 is not. An Ariel Atom is not. A Corvette is not. A Veyron is an exotic. A Viper might be, and you might make a case for a GT-R.

Yes to a Carerra GT, yes to the 918. I hesitate to call the GT1 an exotic, because generally they're not race cars, but one could make that argument. But a 911 is not.

Your definition of exotic seems to be based on price and rarity. The GT-R is definitely not an exotic.

slamthedooronanderson.gif

Sense, your definition makes none. Which just further points to the fact that there is no set definition of Supercar, Hypercar, Exotic, etc.

paskowitz

Your definition of exotic seems to be based on price and rarity. The GT-R is definitely not an exotic.

It is an exotic from the basis of it is not ubiquitous. Not many people know what a GTR is, this makes it foreign to most people... hence exotic (by definition). A lot of people know what a 911 is. The Viper is not really exotic in the States but abroad it sure is. Just like the GTR is not very exotic in Japan, but it is in the US. It is a matter of location.

xptoxyz

Been looking at the Ferrari on and off all day and still can't put my finger on what car I seem to think it looks so alike to, I've thought the P1, but I don't know.

coldfoot

Banned
It is an exotic from the basis of it is not ubiquitous. Not many people know what a GTR is, this makes it foreign to most people... hence exotic (by definition). A lot of people know what a 911 is. The Viper is not really exotic in the States but abroad it sure is. Just like the GTR is not very exotic in Japan, but it is in the US. It is a matter of location.
Ariel Atom is rarer than the GTR yet he doesn't think that it's exotic. The GTR, 911, or the Viper are not exotics at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom