• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like the worst parts of a 370Z and a FR-S made nasty barn sex.

I am well aware of your strange hate of this car, but for those that do not hate it I thought I would inform.

Several options will be available this year including 18" wheels. Larger disc brakes. etc.........
HP is likely to remain the same.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I am well aware of your strange hate of this car, but for those that do not hate it I thought I would inform.

Several options will be available this year including 18" wheels. Larger disc brakes. etc.........

I was simply discussing the way it looks. That front fascia is still a mess. Subtlety is not this car's strong suit.

FStop7

Banned
Top Gear and Nurburgring times are cherry picked as hell and I wouldn't trust any of them unless they were conducted by neutral parties.

reilo

Seeing that McLaren developed the MP4-12C on the top gear test track, I can't regard that as fair.

I really like the lightning laps at VIR done by car and driver actually.

I only wish a "control" tire was used for different classes.

Circle T

I guess my point wasn't so much the actual times the car will set on these various tracks, but more the magnitude of how much faster it will be compared to other cars that are already known quantities of fast. Sub 7 minutes on the Nordschleife (i.e., keeping up with a Radical) is properly fast. Hell, even taking into account the slight bit of possible BS, taking 8-10 seconds off the Huayra at Dunsfold, when the laps are little more than a minute, is a HUGE amount.

BLAZER

Higher Res LaFerrari. Just Stunning.

9uTl3rE.jpg

Circle T

I just do not see the beauty in letting the wind tunnel dictate styling to this kind of extreme.

These top-tier cars, much like the Veyron was for VW, are more about showing the extreme capability of each factory's engineering expertise and tech level, not about making beautiful cars. Now, not only do you have to beat the other guys on the track in the various race series, you have to beat them on the public roads as well. To them, being the engineering nerds they that they all are, beauty is defined by horsepower delivery methods, downforce generation, and lateral and longitudinal g-forces. That means all out speed wins, and the outside of the vehicle is dictated by the math and engineering, not a designer.

This is just awesome brand warfare. Porsche vs Ferrari vs McLaren. It's Ford vs Chevy vs Mopar for the jet-set, and it will be glorious to watch over the coming years.

GuessWho

just got my Asphalt FRS!! LOVE IT! buuuuttt im on the shitty stock tires in winter. fishtails ahoy!! Looking into getting winter tires but will most likely wait it out till next year.

El_Chino

LaFerrari looks stunning better than Lambo's Veneno and I kind of have the sneaking suspicion they took some design cues from the P4/5

52808d1258157663-ferrari-p4-5-ferrari10.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

thanks for sharing. USDM?
The Aero kit was available in EU from the start, priced around 1.600EUR.
18" wheels are available as well, OZ Ultraleggera or Brock B30s in polished or black are the options.
Toyota started to offer the TRD brake kit as an order option in january, but the set comes at a ridiculous 10.000EUR price point. Same goes for the TRD black 18" rims, weighing in at a hefty 1.029 EUR per rim (excluding the tire).

No HP upgrades announced as of yet, but TRD seems to be researching on an aftermarket Supercharger:
http://www.world-challenge.com/news/story.php?story=2808

Toyota UK also has announced a GT 86 TRD-spec model, press release here:

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/official-toyota-gt86-trd-confirmed-for-uk

also, no HP gains on this one.

cajunator

Banned
I just do not see the beauty in letting the wind tunnel dictate styling to this kind of extreme.

I dont either.
who gives a fuck what the nurburgring laptime is. just a buch of carmakers waving dicks in the wind.

LaFerrari looks stunning better than Lambo's Veneno and I kind of have the sneaking suspicion they took some design cues from the P4/5

52808d1258157663-ferrari-p4-5-ferrari10.jpg

I talk to Jim on another forum and he says it partially inspired the LF, particularly around the greenhouse.
Like his car a lot more than the LF.

Rad Agast

thanks for sharing. USDM?
The Aero kit was available in EU from the start, priced around 1.600EUR.
18" wheels are available as well, OZ Ultraleggera or Brock B30s in polished or black are the options.
Toyota started to offer the TRD brake kit as an order option in january, but the set comes at a ridiculous 10.000EUR price point. Same goes for the TRD black 18" rims, weighing in at a hefty 1.029 EUR per rim (excluding the tire).

No HP upgrades announced as of yet, but TRD seems to be researching on an aftermarket Supercharger:
http://www.world-challenge.com/news/story.php?story=2808

Toyota UK also has announced a GT 86 TRD-spec model, press release here:

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/official-toyota-gt86-trd-confirmed-for-uk

also, no HP gains on this one.

Yep. That aero kit is available over here in the ME too. I think it's overdone with that spoiler (it's no where near an STi's performance). Some guys seem to like it though and I've seen a couple GT86s with it on the road.

If you're waiting for an hp bump from the factory then you'll have to wait for the Toyota/FRS TRD supercharged rumored model or the Subaru STi tuned NA one. I doubt that we'll see a turbo from the factory for the next couple of years.

Personally, I'll just pick up the STi side skirts, front lip spoiler and rear diffuser. I like the 18" wheels option from subaru but I wonder if that would affect the gear in a negative way without a proper tune.

The front end of the F50 was hit hard by the ugly-curvy bug that went around during the '90s.

Edit: And that 86 bodykit looks horrible. FYI TRD had a supercharged GT-86 mule since before it was released.

I love that Ferrari brought back the panel gap\black strip for the La. I think the Enzo was the only top model Ferrari that didn't have it going back a long-ass way (308 if not further).

coldfoot

Banned
The F50 with a different bumper would look fine though, that's where its biggest problem is.
Still the F40 is better of course.

J-Rzez

I never thought I'd say it, but Ferrari made a goose of a car. It looks like something from a drug store toy isle. The Enzo is much prettier than it, of all things.

That new Lambo that no one can buy is great looking. It's a true exotic, and it's "Diablo" flashy.

Still though I would take the P1. It is just fantastic looking in that yellow. The McL orange of all things didn't "fit it". It is incredible looking. It is a true exotic, and it gives Pagani a run for his money exterior wise as interior wise it's lacking, still an exotic car regardless just nudging out beyond hyper-performance.

One can't apply the traditional "exotic" definition to cars. Exotic is basically a "type" of car. A GT-R in the US is not an exotic at all, just like nearly all porches, and Vettes. An Atom, while sporting incredible hyper-car like performance and that you don't see them often isn't an Exotic either. A Pagani is "exotic", with it's performance and fit/finish make it such.

Just like an 86/FRS/BRZ isn't a sports car, a GT-R/911 aren't exotics.

ascii42

I never thought I'd say it, but Ferrari made a goose of a car. It looks like something from a drug store toy isle. The Enzo is much prettier than it, of all things.

That new Lambo that no one can buy is great looking. It's a true exotic, and it's "Diablo" flashy.

Still though I would take the P1. It is just fantastic looking in that yellow. The McL orange of all things didn't "fit it". It is incredible looking. It is a true exotic, and it gives Pagani a run for his money exterior wise as interior wise it's lacking, still an exotic car regardless just nudging out beyond hyper-performance.

One can't apply the traditional "exotic" definition to cars. Exotic is basically a "type" of car. A GT-R in the US is not an exotic at all, just like nearly all porches, and Vettes. An Atom, while sporting incredible hyper-car like performance and that you don't see them often isn't an Exotic either. A Pagani is "exotic", with it's performance and fit/finish make it such.

How is the 86 not a sports car, that's what it's for. What else is it good for?

stldave2

Don't get me wrong, the FXX is a bad mother fucker. I got a chance to sit in one not long after they came out, they both look & sound ridiculous... but they just don't look as good as the 599xx.

sidebar: The best sounding Ferrari IMO is a 355 w/ Tubi straight pipes.

J-Rzez

How is the 86 not a sports car, that's what it's for. What else is it good for?

Grocery shopping, commuting to work/school, going through drive-throughs, taking your pet to the vet, and having a little bit of fun along the way. It's a sporty car, as it's performance does not allow it to be classified as a sports car. Maybe when it's power matches it's handling and it becomes well rounded in the performance segment it will become a "sports car" instead of just being a "sporty car".

I don't agree with that. I think a "sporty car" would be something like the Scion tC.
The FR-S and MX5 both were design for maximum driver feedback which is quite essential in a sports car. They are just not performance cars.

J-Rzez

I don't agree with that. I think a "sporty car" would be something like the Scion tC.
The FR-S and MX5 both were design for maximum driver feedback which is quite essential in a sports car. They are just not performance cars.

Performance is a key element to a sports car though. My gf's RDX has decent feedback and I don't consider that a sports car. Hell, I have trouble calling my Evo 8 a sports car, and it's feedback is well beyond the 86, and it has the performance to back it up.

Jackson

Grocery shopping, commuting to work/school, going through drive-throughs, taking your pet to the vet, and having a little bit of fun along the way. It's a sporty car, as it's performance does not allow it to be classified as a sports car. Maybe when it's power matches it's handling and it becomes well rounded in the performance segment it will become a "sports car" instead of just being a "sporty car".

My definition would be if you can take it to a track and do well with just some grippier tires, it's a sports car. If you can't it's not a sports car. :)

J-Rzez

My definition would be if you can take it to a track and do well with just some grippier tires, it's a sports car. If you can't it's not a sports car. :)

Depends also on your definition of "well" I guess. When Toyota/Subaru inevitably releases their FI model of their respective cars then we can discuss "sports car" titles. Like I said numerous times, they have a wonderful chassis, but they put in an econobox motor unfortunately.

ascii42

Depends also on your definition of "well" I guess. When Toyota/Subaru inevitably releases their FI model of their respective cars then we can discuss "sports car" titles. Like I said numerous times, they have a wonderful chassis, but they put in an econobox motor unfortunately.

200 hp econobox? What a lovely world we live in today.

Some day I'll own a car with >= 200 hp... I guess if you combine all three of my cars, you get a respectable number.

My Disco 1 plowed through 18" of unplowed snow yesterday like a champ. Didn't even have to lock the diff.

So they want too much money for that z4m coupe at the local dealer, but my good friend is selling is e39 m5.

What is your definition of a sports car and at where is the performance cut off between "sporty" car and sports car?

cbox

Don't get me wrong, the FXX is a bad mother fucker. I got a chance to sit in one not long after they came out, they both look & sound ridiculous... but they just don't look as good as the 599xx.

sidebar: The best sounding Ferrari IMO is a 355 w/ Tubi straight pipes.

The FXX is a beast, but you are right. The 599xx race spec is probably one of my favourite looking cars ever made, it's just... perfect.

As far as sounds, this is my favourite - it's a shame the audio quality is lacking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOQFKgvA9AU

coldfoot

Banned
Take note Ferrari, this is how you name a car:
Spyker B6 Venator Concept

spyker-b6-venator-concept-geneva-1362500954-1362501266.jpg

The car's not too bad either, but the name is what makes it only slightly worse than commanding your own Venator-class Star Destroyer.

reilo

Cray.

Is the MX-5 a sports car? If it's not, then neither is the FRS/BRZ. What about an Audi A5 versus S5? Clearly, the S5 can be slotted into performance/sports grand tourer. Would anyone say the same about the A5? I wouldn't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom