• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Wow, you guys are really dissecting each car and its merits huh? Some high level debate in here at the moment, I don't know if I can keep up :p

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
How is the 86 not a sports car, that's what it's for. What else is it good for?

Looking stupid in the suburbs.

EDIT: I don't think people realize how many inner-ricers this FRS/BRZ will bring out. I already saw one with two giant fart cans and a terrible body kit the other day. Sounded like a monster jam truck at 15MPH.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Should I make a separate 86/BRZ/FR-S thread to protect the feelings of AlphaSnake and reilo?
Comments appreciated.

N-Bomb

We are NOT getting into the 'what is a sports car?' argument. :p

However, an exotic is much easier to define. It has to be expensive, it has to be kind of nuts, and it has to be somewhat impractical. Also generally a coupe. Don't know of a ragtop exotic (targa doesn't count) or one with 4 doors...

A 458 Italia would be an exotic, while an F12 would not be, for example.

EDIT: I don't think people realize how many inner-ricers this FRS/BRZ will bring out. I already saw one with two giant fart cans and a terrible body kit the other day. Sounded like a monster jam truck at 15MPH.

So we don't need gun control, we need Toyobaru control?

Should I make a separate 86/BRZ/FR-S thread to protect the feelings of AlphaSnake and reilo?
Comments appreciated.

Nah, they can't be THAT thin-skinned. Keep it in autogaf. :)

reilo

Comments appreciated.

Did I say anything wrong? The only one acting offended is you.

Then again, you're the one buying some bullshit called Sound Changer, so what you do with your time is up to you.

Then again, you're the one buying some bullshit called Sound Changer, so what you do with your time is up to you.

This really isn't necessary.

Looking stupid in the suburbs.

Yeah I've already started seeing them out in the wild with some "choice" modifications. I'm almost tempted to buy a first year model and then never modify it. Twenty years down the line people will just throw money at me to have an original, stock fruss-bruzz.

Neither was this, but you didn't say anything about it, now did you?

Oh, because I read that as a joke based on you and Alpha being quite vocal about your distaste for the car. Your post read more like "Well yeah but you're dumb so whatever."

Edit: Maybe you were just joking too but it read pretty nasty.

reilo

Oh, because I read that as a joke based on you and Alpha being quite vocal about your distaste for the car. Your post read more like "Well yeah but you're dumb so whatever."

Edit: Maybe you were just joking too but it read pretty nasty.

This isn't your first rodeo, cowboy.

ascii42

It'd be nice if this thread didn't break into shitstorms all the time.

We actually had a pretty good run. We're slowly compiling a list of things not to bring up. Sort of like abortion, circumcision, and tipping for the rest of GAF, we've got the 370z and the 86/BRZ/FRS.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

FStop7

Banned
Vtecdriver.jpg

yup specs are correct. don't know about the USD price, but in EU the so called "launch edition" will be priced around 61.000EUR. the first announced pricepoint two years ago was 41.000EUR, though. shame because the concept is interesting.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1082748_2014-alfa-romeo-4c-launch-edition-lands-in-geneva-video

That...is an awful lot more than I expected it to cost. As much as I like lighting money on fire I'm pretty sure I can't justify that for a sunday only car. I wonder how much depreciation will hit them.

Edit: Who am I kidding I don't have that kind of money to blow on a brand new Alfa. Maybe in a few years if I discover an aversion to having money. Also bleh at turbo and bleh at paddle-shifters.

This came up a while back. Ultimately "Exotic" is a stupid descriptor for cars because it's even more nebulous than super-car or hyper-car.

Let's replace it with a more definitive term; might I suggest "Sex-car"? I like it, but unfortunately it might only apply to Alfas.

Halvie

Banned
why, bro?

mexico
diarrhea rear tails compared to led mkvi
no multiport injection
plastic oil pan
exhaust manifold built into head
integrated fmic into the intake manifold
not nearly the weight reduction that they were touting
3 colors (jamie@vwvortex already said they will probably change that)
supposedly no lsd/power pack for NA

J-Rzez

What is your definition of a sports car and at where is the performance cut off between "sporty" car and sports car?

Best way to describe it is via cars themselves. A vanilla base-model Corvette can be considered the entry level to "sports cars". That's probably the spot where purpose-built and all around performance come together.

Is the MX-5 a sports car? If it's not, then neither is the FRS/BRZ.

Lol. The miata isn't a sports car. The miata/frs/brz/86 have as much in common with the term "sports car" as a shoe has in common with a doughnut.

Lol. The miata isn't a sports car. The miata/frs/brz/86 have as much in common with the term "sports car" as a shoe has in common with a doughnut.

What the hell are you talking about. I have zero interest in any of those cars but I'd still admit they are textbook examples of sports cars. No practical purpose except for being fun to drive, ie- sports cars.

J-Rzez

What the hell are you talking about. I have zero interest in any of those cars but I'd still admit they are textbook examples of sports cars. No practical purpose except for being fun to drive, ie- sports cars.

They are economical people movers is all. Now they all can drop their top on a leisurely Sunday drive to church and get their doors blown off by a soccer-mom in her SUV/CUV. They get decent MPGs while having a "sporty" feel to them, and that's why they're "sporty cars". Just because something only has 2 seats, or 2 usable seats, it doesn't mean it's a sports car, especially when they have anemic powerplants to balance out their performance, which doesn't allow them to be classified as such. Great chassis but poor engine choice is a tragedy.

iamblades

^^ The Miata is the classic example of a sports car, and the toyobaru fits perfectly in that niche as well. Sports cars have always been lower on power than GT cars or muscle cars.

It's the difference between a bugeye sprite or a spitfire and an e-type. The former do not cease to be sports cars just because the latter exists.

They are economical people movers is all. Now they all can drop their top on a leisurely Sunday drive to church and get their doors blown off by a soccer-mom in her SUV/CUV. They get decent MPGs while having a "sporty" feel to them, and that's why they're "sporty cars". Just because something only has 2 seats, or 2 usable seats, it doesn't mean it's a sports car, especially when they have anemic powerplants to balance out their performance, which doesn't allow them to be classified as such. Great chassis but poor engine choice is a tragedy.

Nope, you are wrong friend. The Civic Si is a "sporty" eco-box. The Corvette is a high-performance sports car. And the Miata/FRS/BRZ are sports cars, as pure as the renowned RX-7.

iWCQ4FsDugVPU.gif

Enron

Banned
I know i've said this a million times in here, but...

...everytime there's bickering in this thread it's always the same people. Always. Calm down folks!

N-Bomb

You're seriously going to have the 'definition of a sports car' argument? Hasn't it been had before? I know I've seen it on EVERY car forum I've been in.

Secondly, you may scoff at a Sound Changer, but while you (and I) may not use one, if it makes the dude happy, who cares?

And about ricers - yes they're morons, but how does their clownship (woah, spell-checker isn't saying anythign wrong about that!) ((woah, it didn't catch 'anythign' either. Something's up) make your end of the hobby worse? In fact, I've seen far worse than what OnkelC posted. And far more spent on it. At least the spending on the ridiculous stuff has benefits for the aftermarket as a whole.

The Toyobaru is a good car for a majority of the enthusiast population. Bottom line. Only someone really stuck up about cars would say they're horrible and shouldn't exist.

Y'all pretending you got class because you spent too much on an Audi.

0k0Sp0u.png

Rad Agast

Is the Cayman a sports car?

You can get similar power out of an ft86/mx5 with mods/tunes and still cost less overall. Hell, if you have a death wish, you can up the engine output to around 480 hp at the wheel with an FI kit (stock engine). You'll definitely need better tires though.

The interior is a different matter and I don't expect anyone to match the Europeans in that department.

I don't know. I'm a bit disappointed with the 4C specs and price. Might just go crazy and get a 2014 MT BRZ and turn it into my little project toy/play thing. (Still not satisfied with the body kit options though. I hope someone comes up with something with more class to it).

J-Rzez

Only someone really stuck up about cars would say they're horrible and shouldn't exist.

The 86 should exist though, for what it is, it's good value for the money. It has a great chassis as I expected and it's fun to drive. It's cheap enough that more people can have a "fun" car and hopefully get more people into automotive passion. But it is not a sports car. My modified Evo 8 puts out ~double the power of a new 86, it has some serious hardware and design out of the factory even, and I don't classify it as a sports car either. Stock or modded at that.

Sports cars are Vettes, GT-Rs, 911s, Exige/Elise. They have powerplants to back up their sporting intentions, powerplants that are balanced to their chassis that push them beyond "normal people movers". The MKIV Supra, VR-4 3000 GT, 300ZX for their time were "sports cars" as well for example.

I'm sorry if I offend people, but it's my take on the subject. When the 86 inevitably gets FI from the factory as Toyota and Subaru all but basically showed off in physical form as they felt the heat from the numerous people that were disappointed that they created such a beautiful chassis and such a good looking car, then we can talk about it getting classified as a true sports car. Until then, it is a sporty car, due to it's "sporty intentions".

And ricers are fun, and passionate about their cars at the same time, just perhaps misguided or lacking funds. We all start somewhere with our passion for cars.

Also, I too was disappointed with the 4C price compared to it's specs.

Circle T

My life is so much better back in a manual. It has been 6 months since I flew to VA and picked up my 330ci zhp. Man time... You are flying by.

I think I'm finally reaching that point in my life where a manual is a no-go for me with my DD. The change in my driving habits from my mid-20s to my, now, mid-30s has really changed my perspective. Having a bad left knee/hip doesn't help things, sadly. I've been shopping around new car ideas for this coming spring/summer, and almost every time I think the auto/dual-clutch will be the choice. I will certainly keep the Z around for my fun/weekend/auto-x times. For a car in that position, manual is fine, preferred even, obviously. In day to day driving, though, it just becomes more chore than enjoyment-booster for me now.

Man, getting "old" sucks >:[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom