• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
All in all, I've thought long and hard about the S5, M3, and even about buying my brother's 2006 M6. I wouldn't want to own any of them because they're all finicky and annoyingly weak cars that can't take a beating without breaking down.

I don't know of ONE person who hasn't trouble with the above cars over the stupidest shit, whether they baby the car or not.

So you're saying look for something else, or just expect little things to go and need fixing? Thanks for the tips, though.

I forgot about the stupid MMI. I hate anything more advanced than a simple LED presenting basic information. The systems in luxury cars always seem neat at first but end up outdated and annoying to deal with.

ascii42

But neither of my cars are old OR slow.

Joke flop

Actually, plenty of "old people cars" aren't slow, they just are driven that way.

And speaking of old people cars, I finally got my Olds back.

Car's so damn big it's tough to take a picture of the whole thing.
BS4Dtwo.jpg

New carpet on door panel. Leather on bottom half of door is new as well. Impressive match.
bwTL2ec.jpg

New carpet.
wt0keZF.jpg

New Vinyl roof
3kIsSvB.jpg

I also got new spark plugs and wires, and they cleaned out the carburetor. Also got new shocks. Nice having a suspension that actually works.

matmanx1

Well really I'm not all that interested in another sedan. I'd do a 2+2 but that's about it. Also no manual means no thank you.

I was in the same situation as you as far as what I was looking for but my max price was 30k. I ended up with an IS 250 which I've been very happy with despite the 2 extra doors. I like my IS so much so that if my budget was like yours and I could spend 40k I'd be looking into an IS-F. Lexus reliability and luxury in a small, tight sedan with a fire breathing 416hp 5.0L V8 under the hood. It sounds very much like something I'd like to own. And speaking of sound, check out the video and listen to this thing rev. I love it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBjbos7ISfI

coldfoot

Banned
I was in the same situation as you as far as what I was looking for but my max price was 30k. I ended up with an IS 250 which I've been very happy with despite the 2 extra doors. I like my IS so much so that if my budget was like yours and I could spend 40k I'd be looking into an IS-F. Lexus reliability and luxury in a small, tight sedan with a fire breathing 416hp 5.0L V8 under the hood. It sounds very much like something I'd like to own. And speaking of sound, check out the video and listen to this thing rev. I love it.
No manual on IS-F, it's front heavy and has shit suspension tuning.

matmanx1

No manual on IS-F, it's front heavy and has shit suspension tuning.

And yet it'd still be a great everyday car that's a hoot to drive and extremely reliable while also being very fast and luxurious. I'm not sure how many other cars you can say that about. The only downside is it certainly does not have the panache of an M3/M6 or a C63. It's a total stealth fighter as pretty much no one is going to notice it driving by.

I would miss the clutch action but for everyday use a good manual mode autobox with paddle shifters would work.

coldfoot

Banned
And yet it'd still be a great everyday car that's a hoot to drive and extremely reliable while also being very fast and luxurious. I'm not sure how many other cars you can say that about. The only downside is it certainly does not have the panache of an M3/M6 or a C63. It's a total stealth fighter as pretty much no one is going to notice it driving by.

I would miss the clutch action but for everyday use a good manual mode autobox with paddle shifters would work.
Well the OP insists on a manual so it's out. The ride is also horrible, which is outside the parameters of someone looking for a GT car. There are plenty of other choices if a rock hard suspension is acceptable to you, whereas the OP thinks even the M3 is too stiff.
I might also add that the styling sucks, it looks as if a ricer bought an IS and added a horrible looking body kit. The base car looks better.

Archer

Actually, plenty of "old people cars" aren't slow, they just are driven that way.

I also got new spark plugs and wires, and they cleaned out the carburetor. Also got new shocks. Nice having a suspension that actually works.

superfly

Rad Agast

In my humble opinion. Lexus lost its way when thry started to look like camries. Had a white mazda 6 a year ago and some people would confuse it for a small lexus (don't see how but it happened several times).

matmanx1

Well the OP insists on a manual so it's out. The ride is also horrible, which is outside the parameters of someone looking for a GT car. There are plenty of other choices if a rock hard suspension is acceptable to you, whereas the OP thinks even the M3 is too stiff.
I might also add that the styling sucks, it looks as if a ricer bought an IS and added a horrible looking body kit. The base car looks better.

I had heard that the suspension complaints were rectified for the 2011 and newer cars but not having driven one myself I can't speak to how stiff the newer cars are. I'll also say that while I don't think the IS-F is beautiful I don't find it offensive either. The quad exhaust arrangement is awkward but other than that I don't mind it. But you know, opinions and all that.

N-Bomb

I generally hate these old boats, but I gotta say, I'm quite impressed.

plasmasd

Took this today at the grocery store. Only the third GTR I've ever seen out in the wild in California.

Really? I've seen more than I can count in the Central California and Bay Area. Everyone that I've talked to that has driven one (granted, only 5 people) have said that they are disappointing because they feel so disconnected. Fast, yes, but completely electronic.

Really? e seen more than I can count in the Central California and Bay Area. Everyone that I've talked to that has driven one (granted, only 5 people) have said that they are disappointing because they feel so disconnected. Fast, yes, but completely electronic.

I know plenty of gt-r owners, and no one, including my self thinks the car feels disconnected. The whole its completely electronic is way overblown.

coldfoot

Banned
GTR's aren't that common where I live either, but the same applies to pretty much any performance car around here. No point in getting one unless it's a Ferrari or Lamborghini and its looks are enough around here because you're not going to be going over 40-50 anytime soon with narrow streets and traffic.
I see more Gallardo's than GT-R's and Corvette's combined, and I see more Continental GT's than Gallardo's.

I guess I'm alone in really liking chrome cars. Although I'd like, even more, a polished stainless body.

They're neat looking but only in a conceptual way. As an actual car that gets driven they're far too ostentatious to be appealing long term.

"Wow! Look at that! ... Wait he actually drives that? What a tool."

Have not seen the first GT-R here in Miss. Speaking of that, the most expensive car that I have seen here was an NSX that a plastic surgeon had. Corvettes are pretty common, but they are base trims.

N-Bomb

They're neat looking but only in a conceptual way. As an actual car that gets driven they're far too ostentatious to be appealing long term.

"Wow! Look at that! ... Wait he actually drives that? What a tool."

It seems that people don't like showy people?

Sidebar: Anyone else think this is pretty cool?

N-Bomb

There's showy and then there's ostentatious and tacky. Showy is having a flashy car in a loud color, having a chrome GT-R is tacky and obnoxious.

As a thing to look at it's neat, but as a car it's ridiculous.

Maybe I should get my car resprayed in wood grain.

Yeah, it's a pretty striking looking car.

The biggest OH SHIT car I've ever seen out driving was a Lotus Elise. So fucking cool.

I've seen a number of Elises and a couple of Exiges.

I'd say the biggest oh shit car I have seen was the V10 R8, SCREAMING down the road.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
There was a McLaren SLR in my new neighborhood the other day. Definitely an OH SHIT car. Lotuses and Astons are popular where I live since there's a dealer that sells them in the neighborhood.

This is central Florida, btw.

FStop7

Banned
If I had $4mm to spend on a car I would be digging into vintage German, Italian, and British and American race cars.

Like a Porsche 962c, 917, or a GT40.

paskowitz

Meet the guys who paid $4 million for the Lamborghini Veneno before they even saw it.

Bet they didn't know how ugly it'd turn out though. But I think they got what they wanted.

It is a Lamborghini. If you want pretty go get a Ferrari or Audi. Lambo is not out to win any design awards. They make cars for people would like to be loud and brash. This car is loud and brash. It is the personification of the brand itself. That is why they made it. "Loooooook at this crazy car. This is what we stand for."

Personally I love how it looks like a Group C Aventador mixed with a modern day LMP1 car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom