• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamai

Banned
after a lot of thought, i decided on a FRS as a daily driver to get to me work. i was planning on a ep3 SIR, but all the ones i found were beat up and 150k km on it at least. i couldn't find a good deal on a IS300. anyways, the FRS has pretty damn good suspension for a stock car. i really hate the rims though. the pic was taken on the day of delivery. i didn't get a chance to upload the rest. i am really looking forward to lowering the car with some coilovers and some 19" BBS LM's.

fcce3c07-35c9-4b32-b4a0-e4c981bfaf4c_zpscf2c4f61.jpg

just found some old pics of my CLS 500 at autox. was the only guy there running on 20 inch chrome wheels and some ppl were hating on me for driving a 2000kg car with 20's to autox.

37819_10150231841405153_6961273_n_zpsfb97a860.jpg

sigpic30924_1gif_zps1bd727ec.jpg

got new rims since then. this pic was taken 2 years ago at the shop i bought my wheels from.
281682_10150738104275153_1241776_n_zpsee3d146e.jpg

negitoro7

after a lot of thought, i decided on a FRS as a daily driver to get to me work. i was planning on a ep3 SIR, but all the ones i found were beat up and 150k km on it at least. i couldn't find a good deal on a IS300. anyways, the FRS has pretty damn good suspension for a stock car. i really hate the rims though. the pic was taken on the day of delivery. i didn't get a chance to upload the rest. i am really looking forward to lowering the car with some coilovers and some 19" BBS LM's.

Congrats, sometimes I wish I waited for the FRS/BRZ instead of getting my Civic Si Sedan... don't really have any use for 4 doors usually. I actually like the stock wheels a lot. Did you get 6spd Manual or Auto?

Chamai

Banned
Congrats, sometimes I wish I waited for the FRS/BRZ instead of getting my Civic Si Sedan... don't really have any use for 4 doors usually. I actually like the stock wheels a lot. Did you get 6spd Manual or Auto?

i was forced to get the auto, my wife said it is either a automatic FRS or some VW wagon. i took the automatic FRS. this whole purchase was an impulse buy. i told my wife that we prob need a 2nd car since kids are going to school and i need a car for myself. so i phoned up toyota and ask if they had one in stock. they have to confirm if it was possible to get a automatic FRS locally. I just went to toyota anyways coz it will prob take them forever to check and i just put down 500 bucks to show that i was serious. they phoned me next day and said the car will be ready next sunday because the car needs to be PDI'ed. car was ready on wednsday night. so 6 day wait for me.

edit: when did you get your civic? the FRS/BRZ had a 3 month waiting list when the first one arrived here in vancouver bc. BRZ's are less common. i phoned subaru the same day i put my deposit down for the FRS to see if they have one ready for pick up that night. sales guy said i have to wait. i told "it's cool, i just buy an FRS" he had no clue what i was talking about and kept asking me for a deposit to order a BRZ from factory.

robox

just found some old pics of my CLS 500 at autox. was the only guy there running on 20 inch chrome wheels and some ppl were hating on me for driving a 2000kg car with 20's to autox.

37819_10150231841405153_6961273_n_zpsfb97a860.jpg

sigpic30924_1gif_zps1bd727ec.jpg

dude! i was there at the autox! i remember that event pretty well since it's not everyday a big ol' luxo barge appears at autox at that dinky little lot. i recall you did pretty well. 20in arthur exchanges, ya?

Rad Agast

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g...7-35c9-4b32-b4a0-e4c981bfaf4c_zpscf2c4f61.jpg

Congrats on the new car. GAF Toyobaru club is growing steadily ;-)

Chamai

Banned
dude! i was there at the autox! i remember that event pretty well since it's not everyday a big ol' luxo barge appears at autox at that dinky little lot. i recall you did pretty well. 20in arthur exchanges, ya?

oh shit!!! can't believe a gaf member was at that event. i think it was the slush series or something. i remember i had to go through a tent before i get to start so they could scan my bar code or something. my car was too wide so they had to extend the tent or something. they called me the german refrigerator or something. still can't believe someone still remembers me hahaha. what were you driving? i tried doing a run with manual tip tronic and it was a mess. thanks to the 7 speed, i had to shift between 2nd gear and 3rd gear. where 99% of the ppl there stayed on 2nd the whole run.

edit: i remember doing alright (not trying to sound like a show off). traction control really helped haha. i forgot what class i was in, but those guys bumped me up because of the engine displacement and 305 tires.

They say you can't take a 944 motor out the top with the bellhousing in place.

Well fuck them I proved them wrong...I'm pretty sure they're still right.

BlOzl9V.jpg

Edit: God bless sawzalls and cutoff wheels.

Looking to get a new car, been doing tons of research, anyone have input on my choices I've narrowed down to?

2013 Hyundai Sonata SE, Honda Accord EX-L, Ford Fusion SE (or perhaps Focus Hatchback)

My commute to work takes 45 minutes and I need a better can than my 03 BMW X5 SUV, takes way too much gas and is hitting close to 170k miles.

Anyone have much to say on any of these vehicles?

Reven

Looking to get a new car, been doing tons of research, anyone have input on my choices I've narrowed down to?

2013 Hyundai Sonata SE, Honda Accord EX-L, Ford Fusion SE (or perhaps Focus Hatchback)

My commute to work takes 45 minutes and I need a better can than my 03 BMW X5 SUV, takes way too much gas and is hitting close to 170k miles.

My parents own a Sonata turbo and it is a great car. However those new fusions are gorgeous.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Speaking of shifting - can't wait to get new shifter bushings for my car and tighten things up.

You think that's hardcore? Today I am getting new wiper blades for my Honda Fit and then driving around my neighborhood on the Honda Ruckus.

coldfoot

Banned

Accord is better than all the others in the list.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
It has better resale value, is likely more reliable, is a standout for quality and fit and finish but is also more expensive. I would also add Mazda 6 and Nissan Altima to a list of considerations. The new 6 is fucking gorgeous IMO.

The 6 has one of the biggest fucking trunks I have ever seen. That shit is deep.

coldfoot

Banned
It has better resale value, is likely more reliable, is a standout for quality and fit and finish but is also more expensive. I would also add Mazda 6 and Nissan Altima to a list of considerations. The new 6 is fucking gorgeous IMO.
Accord is going to return better real world mileage than all the others in the list except for Mazda 6, which will give it a run for its money. I'd choose the one that I like better between the Accord and the new Mazda 6 and would pass on the others.

N-Bomb

You think that's hardcore? Today I am getting new wiper blades for my Honda Fit and then driving around my neighborhood on the Honda Ruckus.

I bought new wipers last year, but haven't put em on yet. I have a box of parts waiting to be installed, still!

hTP17FV.jpg

+1 for the Mazda6 being sexy. The Passat has a great interior as well. The latest Altima with the CVT will probably return pretty damn good MPG, and their(Nissan's) CVTs are probably the best in the business.

ascii42

Just got back from the Atlanta Auto Show. Definitely the most cars I've ever driven at the auto show:

Cadillac ATS 2.0: Fun, but considering it had the automatic, I'd rather drive the 3.6. Still nice and fun to drive.
CTS-V: Always fun. Still love that V8.
SRX: I liked it more than I figured I would. I've always liked Cadillac, but I've usually ignored the SRX. But it was nice.
XTS Platinum: Extremely nice and comfortable. It's exactly what a big Caddy should be. Hopefully Cadillac/GM will get off their butts and follow it up with a proper RWD flagship sedan.

Chrysler 300 Varvatos: I'm a fan of the 300, but this was not my favorite version

Dodge Charger Super Bee: A blast. I could totally see getting one of those or the equivalent stripper versions of the Challenger or 300, if I felt like paying that much for a car.

Fiat 500: Charming little thing. Wouldn't pay what they are asking for it, but an fun car nonetheless.

Buick Encore: Not at all what I'm looking for in a vehicle, but it was pretty nice I suppose.
Verano: It's a Buick, only smaller. Basically felt like a smaller version of the LaCrosse, comfortable and quiet.

Chevy Volt: I quite like it. I've got no use for an electric car, since I live in an apartment, but the Volt would be my choice if I were in the market.
Camaro SS: I'd driven a 2010 Camaro V6 back when they came out. The interior improvements are noticeable. It's still not wonderful by any stretch, but I could live with it, if I felt like buying a Camaro. I like the car a lot, but I still think that as a car to live with everyday, I'd rather have the Challenger.

Scion iQ: Much like the Fiat, minus most of the charm. Still a solid city car, I'd think. Enough power, and the CVT worked fine.
tC: Nothing really wrong with it or right with it. I just drove it to kill time until I got to drive the FRS.
FRS: I was disappointed, but it wasn't the car's fault. My drive was ruined by constantly having an iQ in front of me. I never really got to have much fun with it. Made a nice noise for a 4-cylinder the couple opportunities I had to floor it though.

Overall, I'd say my favorites were the XTS and the Charger Super Bee. Funny, because of how different they are.

paskowitz

Whats gafs opinion on this e30?

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/420808?ad_cid=1

I really like it but I am not levelheaded when it comes to old bimmers. I love them too much to think straight.

Very hard to find in good condition. Usually costs more than that when it is. Best paired with a local trust worthy mechanic... which is also rare. E30 M3 is obviously the best... but even harder to find in good condition (I have seen really good ones go for $20k+!). Best to find one that was not driven hard and is closer to 150k miles than 200k. Have it inspected by said trustworthy mechanic.

Otherwise have fun working on it yourself or paying more than you paid for to have it fixed.

IISANDERII

How is the McLaren F1 so damn fast? I remember it's only got 620bhp but it's got a 240mph/390kph top speed. Right now I'm watching TopGear and Hammond's testing out the new Pagani Huayra and it's got 730bhp and a 7 speed gearbox but it's got a top speed of 10 or 20mph less than the McLaren.
Ditto for the new Ferrari f12. Actually the Ferrari's top speed seems to be 211mph/340kph.

So how's the McLaren able to do this, is it simply aerodynamics?

FStop7

Banned
How is the McLaren F1 so damn fast? I remember it's only got 620bhp but it's got a 240mph/390kph top speed. Right now I'm watching TopGear and Hammond's testing out the new Pagani Huayra and it's got 730bhp and a 7 speed gearbox but it's got a top speed of 10 or 20mph less than the McLaren.
Ditto for the new Ferrari f12. Actually the Ferrari's top speed seems to be 211mph/340kph.

It's Top Gear. It's car pro wrestling.

amrihua

Fisker was already at Tesla's throat (comercially and judicially) when the Model S was actually designed. He made the initial drafts, that much is true, but then van den Acker came over and Tesla redid everything. It is not very clear what happened, but there was a bit of a shitstorm regarding Fisker's work at Tesla and his later work at Fisker Automotive (veiled accusations of espionage, dues not paid... it was a bit of a mess).

That's why I assumed it was his work. My bad :)

paskowitz

I believe both those cars are electronically limited. They probably could do high top speeds, but their aerodynamics would have to change in order to make the car safe/stable. This probably would force them to make design decisions they would rather avoid. Same deal with the Mclaren P1 and TheFerrari

coldfoot

Banned

<2400lbs vs 3000+ lbs means the F1 actually has a better power/weight ratio than those other cars, plus aerodynamics as the newer cars have more downforce than an F1 since top speed was only relevant in the 90's and now it's all about Nurburgring times.

Aero. Gearing too of course.

Look at the front of a McLaren F1. The front bumper is shin height. You would never be allowed to sell a car like that today. Hell, look at the loop holes they jumped through to sell it in the US back in the day.

kjUJkJR.jpg

N-Bomb

Aero. Gearing too of course.

Look at the front of a McLaren F1. The front bumper is shin height. You would never be allowed to sell a car like that today. Hell, look at the loop holes they jumped through to sell it in the US back in the day.

kjUJkJR.jpg

HTfN3L8.gif

Sidebar: Oof. Around $1000 for upgraded struts, not including labour.

FStop7

Banned
Those cheek things on the front of the McLaren are the worst thing I have ever seen. Those were required to federalize them in the USA? They should be considered a crime against humanity.

Congrats man. I have not enjoyed driving this much in a long time!

These last 10 months have been bliss.

Listen do not ever EVER turn the assists off!
EVER!!!!!!!!

coldfoot

Banned
Those cheek things on the front of the McLaren are the worst thing I have ever seen. Those were required to federalize them in the USA? They should be considered a crime against humanity.
Yup, and the stupid thing is once it was federalized, you could take them off without any repercussions. which everyone did, as F1's in this country don't look like that.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Congrats man. I have not enjoyed driving this much in a long time!

These last 10 months have been bliss.

Listen do not ever EVER turn the assists off!
EVER!!!!!!!!

LMAO. Why not? I did it. And all of that 150lbs of fury didn't even shimmy the rear end on a launch or shift into 2nd.

ameratsu

This story about a woman being "burnt" by the seat warmer in her Jetta is kind of amusing. I loved how suprised she sounded when her internet searching revealed evidence of electrical problems in circa 2004 VWs.

She sounds like she wants to get her seat fixed by VW Canada for free despite her car being 9 years old. Not to mention that she specified it happened last month, where temps in Nanaimo barely dipped below zero. Who the hell needs seat warmers above zero celcius?

N-Bomb

LMAO. Why not? I did it. And all of that 150lbs of fury didn't even shimmy the rear end on a launch or shift into 2nd.

Probably on turns...? But even then, 150 should be safe territory. My FC barely had that much and I never dangered it. Could do kick-ass snow angels with it though.

Who the hell needs seat warmers above zero celcius?

Who the hell needs seat warmers at all? Your bum will not break.

I have on 5-6 occasions heard of people losing control. Especially with the stock tires. I know 2 people personally that have wrecked their car. Your joke about the torque was unnecessary, yet all too common in this thread.

We all knew what the car was months before it ever came out. If we wanted a Charger or mustang, we would have bought one.

I don't need to tell you what we did get, because its everywhere you look. Magazines, TV, internet.

AlphaSnake

That's actually hysterical...if you're losing control of a FRS and wrecking it, your first problem is your driving skills...or lack thereof. There is no reason you're wrecking a car like that, beyond the fact that you must be an absolute idiot. Turn off the assists, go to a park, learn the car and its limits.

I took an M6 sideways unintentionally in a tunnel a few weeks ago in the cold, forgetting all the assists were off (they were disabled previously to enable an additional setting in the car). That's over 500HP. But I saved it and chuckled. I knew how to correct a high powered car.

So if someone is driving an FR-S and wrecking it, they shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car in general. They'd have done the same in a Mini or a Fiat.

Take a track day or some performance driving classes. Worth the money. or practice in a huge empty parking lot
That car is made to be flogged without losing control, just like the miata.

N-Bomb

Take a track day or some performance driving classes. Worth the money. or practice in a huge empty parking lot
That car is made to be flogged without losing control, just like the miata.

I would love to take a class, but it seems hard to find them locally, and a trip to Skip Barber or Bondurant or whatever is not cheap!

Circle T

Jesus, this thread. "LOL, noobs can't drive little car with the assists off, hur hur, I can drift supercars in my sleep, hur hur"

Why does this thread always come down to chest pounding and shit talk? Can we not, oh I don't know, just DISCUSS cars without it always spiraling into name calling, belittling, and mud slinging for once? This thread has the potential to be quite nice, and helpful, with the amount of collective knowledge and experience we all have. Shame it gets wasted so often with poor attitudes.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Jesus, this thread. "LOL, noobs can't drive little car with the assists off, hur hur, I can drift supercars in my sleep, hur hur"

Why does this thread always come down to chest pounding and shit talk? Can we not, oh I don't know, just DISCUSS cars without it always spiraling into name calling, belittling, and mud slinging for once? This thread has the potential to be quite nice, and helpful, with the amount of collective knowledge and experience we all have. Shame it gets wasted so often with poor attitudes.

Shut up I can do 360s in Ridge Racer plus get a gold for going the wrong way.

Nub

AlphaSnake

Don't put words into my mouth. Didn't say I can drift shit. I just said I had the training and knowledge to correct such an incident, and so should others if they own any type of performance car, FR-S included.

Circle T

Don't put words into my mouth. Didn't say I can drift shit. I just said I had the training and knowledge to correct such an incident, and so should others if they own any type of performance car, FR-S included.

So, laughing and calling someone an "idiot" for possibly crashing a low powered car, while in the following breath, remarking how deftly you can handle a 500hp car, thats just normal discourse for you? You don't think that is in ANY way corrosive to the thread?

Shut up I can do 360s in Ridge Racer plus get a gold for going the wrong way.

Nub

Smooches Frankie ;P

AlphaSnake

So, laughing and calling someone an "idiot" for possibly crashing a low powered car, while in the following breath, remarking how deftly you can handle a 500hp car, thats just normal discourse for you? You don't think that is in ANY way corrosive to the thread?

Smooches Frankie ;P

The guys who he mentioned DID crash and wreck their cars. They are absolutely idiots for doing so. They drove their cars too hard with the assists off and wrecked them.

Circle T

The guys who he mentioned DID crash and wreck their cars. They are absolutely idiots for doing so. They drove their cars too hard with the assists off and wrecked them.

If you don't find anything wrong in the way you present your opinions here, then I guess I have nothing further to say.

AlphaSnake

If you don't find anything wrong in the way you present your opinions here, then I guess I have nothing further to say.

I'm just the most vocal and expressive about it. Others are having a laughing riot away from this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom