• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meet the guys who paid $4 million for the Lamborghini Veneno before they even saw it.

Bet they didn't know how ugly it'd turn out though. But I think they got what they wanted.

It looks like it was designed by Gillette.

Hell of a lot cheaper than OnStar, that's for sure.

Going for the Buick Roadmaster look?

1996_buick_roadmaster-pic-25285.jpeg

Swag.
I would totally rock a Roadmaster. Use an LS swap and my god...I now have a boner.

Rad Agast

Out of curiosity, what's everyone's preferred seating position when driving?

I always prefer to setup the seat so that my arms are bent almost 90º. I can't understand how some people recline the seat all of the way back to the point where you can't see the hood.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

I always prefer to setup the seat so that my arms are bent almost 90º. I can't understand how some people recline the seat all of the way back to the point where you can't see the hood.

When your hand is extended all the way out, your wrist-line should rest on the top of steering wheel, with your hand hanging past it.

N-Bomb

You don't want a batmobile?

No...

When your hand is extended all the way out, your wrist-line should rest on the top of steering wheel, with your hand hanging past it.

I'm trying to picture this and failing. I'm curious about this too.

My seat is all the way back currently. I could really use another inch or two of travel in the seat - might see if I can get new seat rails fabbed that will let me accomplish that. I feel like I'm a bit too close to the wheel, as well.

For speed? what ever you're most comfortable at where you get the most feedback from the "feel of the seat" and the steering wheel.

I like the seat about 1 notch back from the most upright position, for an auto I want to be able to press the brake all the way down with just a little twist of the hips, for a manual I need to be close enough to push the clutch all the way down a couple of inches before my leg would be fully extended. I don't ever want to have to move my body or stretch to depress it, so I sit pretty close when driving manual. Steering wheel high enough that it's not rubbing on my knees.

ascii42

Depends on the car. In my Malibu I sit up right. In my Olds I slouch down in the sofa-like seats, have my right arm on the center arm rest, and my left hand at 8 o'clock on the steering wheel.

^ That. Your back, I believe, I supposed to be flat against the seat when you "measure". As for the seat itself, It's probably at like a 105 degree angle.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Effective as of Wednesday 13 March 2013, Henrik Fisker has resigned from Fisker Automotive as executive chairman, and has left the company. The main reasons for his resignation are several major disagreements that Henrik Fisker has with the Fisker Automotive executive management on the business strategy.

This company is lol.

Rad Agast

I get what you're saying. I sometimes do that when driving larger cars. For some reason I can't bring myself to sit that way in the small ones.

This company is lol.

Yep. My brother was really excited for their car too. I kept reminding him of the Vector.

Really? I've seen more than I can count in the Central California and Bay Area. Everyone that I've talked to that has driven one (granted, only 5 people) have said that they are disappointing because they feel so disconnected. Fast, yes, but completely electronic.

Are they taking their cars to the track, or just putting around town?

I've driven my uncles 11' on a track, and the street and I have no clue as to why they'd think this...

AlphaSnake

No...

I'm trying to picture this and failing. I'm curious about this too.

My seat is all the way back currently. I could really use another inch or two of travel in the seat - might see if I can get new seat rails fabbed that will let me accomplish that. I feel like I'm a bit too close to the wheel, as well.

Go sit in your car. Back flat against the seat. Extended your hand out and rest it on the top of the steering wheel. Is your palm over the steering wheel? Can you rest your wrist bone on top of the steering wheel with the rest of your hand hanging past it?

If you have anything past your wrist area extending over your steering wheel, your seating is wrong. If you're elbows are bent practically 90-degrees...that's just ridiculous and a sure fire way to break a bone in an accident.

Took this today at the grocery store. Only the third GTR I've ever seen out in the wild in California.

that GTR belongs to that Liberty Tax sign spinner...
GTR's are plentiful in the Bay Area. The most bizarre I have seen is probably a LaGonda shooting brake version driven by an old lady.

Aston-martin-lagonda-shooting-brake-1.jpg

Tesla makes the Model S, Fisker makes the Karma.

He also contributed to its design.

Edit:

Like so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4g-T4nlL0P4#t=197s

Although I deviate because my rake adjustment is minimal and makes it look like I'm drivinga bus.

N-Bomb

Go sit in your car. Back flat against the seat. Extended your hand out and rest it on the top of the steering wheel. Is your palm over the steering wheel? Can you rest your wrist bone on top of the steering wheel with the rest of your hand hanging past it?

If you have anything past your wrist area extending over your steering wheel, your seating is wrong. If you're elbows are bent practically 90-degrees...that's just ridiculous and a sure fire way to break a bone in an accident.

Okay, got it. That made much more sense. Currently my wrist joint is just over top of the wheel. If I lay my arm on it, my hand can bend down and the wheel is in the crook. When I swap wheels that may change, I'll have to see. Definitely would like another inch or so of legroom, though.

Alfa 4C sound clip and walkaround:
http://youtu.be/b8UDLOJ5y68
sounds like an Alfa.

Hmm, 4 banger, eh? I like how my car sounds more. And those headlights are beyond abortional.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
And to think I initially thought it had a better chance at surviving than Tesla. At least Fisker designed the Model S which looks good.

What? No, the Model S is Laurens van den Acker's work, former Mazda designer.

He also contributed to its design.
Fisker was already at Tesla's throat (comercially and judicially) when the Model S was actually designed. He made the initial drafts, that much is true, but then van den Acker came over and Tesla redid everything. It is not very clear what happened, but there was a bit of a shitstorm regarding Fisker's work at Tesla and his later work at Fisker Automotive (veiled accusations of espionage, dues not paid... it was a bit of a mess).

There's no way Henrik Fisker had anything to do with the Model S, it's gorgeous. The Fisker Karma makes piles of cow shit look attractive.

I'm glad he's gone.

FStop7

Banned
I can see a little of Fisker's syle in the model S. The rear flanks are very much like his other designs.

The guy designed the BMW Z8, one of the most beautiful cars ever made. He also designed the Aston Martin DB9 and Vanquish, IIRC. He gets a pass from me for pretty much anything since.

ascii42

Fuck it I think I'm going to just buy a Cayman S. Every time I think about a GT car I eventually find something about it that I don't care for.

Test drove a 370Z today, too. Is it just me (or that car) or does that transmission always feel like you're rowing the gears through a bag of wrenches?

Edit: Holy hell how much makeup is Pitt wearing in that commercial?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Update on the Hybrid: having driven it for four days and around 600 kilometers in arctic climate, the fuel consumption is quite low (around 5 liters/100km). Car ain't a rocket, though.

Fuck it I think I'm going to just buy a Cayman S. Every time I think about a GT car I eventually find something about it that I don't care for.

Test drove a 370Z today, too. Is it just me (or that car) or does that transmission always feel like you're rowing the gears through a bag of wrenches?

Edit: Holy hell how much makeup is Pitt wearing in that commercial?

I had a 370Z for 3 year, and I have nothing but good things to say. It was a lot of fun.

AlphaSnake

When they're new and the gearbox is really cold, they're definitely notchy and a bit firm. But you'll always know when you're actually in gear and what gear you're in. As the transmission and the fluid break in, it gets progressively smoother - my car is now at 12K miles and the shifts into every gear are silky with the perfect amount of feedback.

Ill agree that its not super smooth, but I don't remember it being jarring.

I thought you car was an automatic?

When they're new and the gearbox is really cold, they're definitely notchy and a bit firm. But you'll always know when you're actually in gear and what gear you're in. As the transmission and the fluid break in, it gets progressively smoother - my car is now at 12K miles and the shifts into every gear are silky with the perfect amount of feedback.

I thought you car was an automatic?

My FR-S is.

It's probably this. The car only had 7k miles on it and wasn't up to temp (though it wasn't cold) so it may have just been the synchros barking at me. Still, it gave me a nasty impression.

Besides, when taking the choice between a Cayman and a Z? Why go Z? (Edit: Not enough price difference between the 370Z and a first gen Cayman S)

The only cars I've ever driven have been a 99 automatic Camry, 2010 automatic pontiac g-6, 2005 automatic C-class mercedes, and for learning purposes a 2012 manual Jeep.

So I mentioned to my friend I want to buy a sports car. I said hey I'll get that BRZ or that 350z or something similar. Then he asks "can you handle that power?"

I don't think he was suggesting that the above are performance cars, just that they are a major change from what I am used to. But, is it really a major change? Is it really that different to control a sports car compared to a normal whip? Before buying a sports car, does one really need to "practice" on something moderately "powerful"?

ascii42

The only cars I've ever driven have been a 99 automatic Camry, 2010 automatic pontiac g-6, 2005 automatic C-class mercedes, and for learning purposes a 2012 manual Jeep.

So I mentioned to my friend I want to buy a sports car. I said hey I'll get that BRZ or that 350z or something similar. Then he asks "can you handle that power?"

I don't think he was suggesting that the above are performance cars, just that they are a major change from what I am used to. But, is it really a major change? Is it really that different to control a sports car compared to a normal whip? Before buying a sports car, does one really need to "practice" on something moderately "powerful"?

Unless you are buying a supercar, probably not. I was curious about that before I drove the 556 hp Cadillac CTS-V. But I found that it drives like a regular CTS until you put your foot down. The Z, and even more so the BRZ shouldn't be any problem at all. The BRZ only has around 30-40 more horsepower than than your G6 had.

Halvie

Banned

Your Z only has 12k miles on it?

Nah, unless you're canning a Corvette, Viper, GT500 or S2000 those things bite you when you're not used to high power (they tend to be "alive" at the limit_ or in the case of the Honda, snap oversteer.

The FR-S and MX5 are meant to be as forgiving as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom