• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's actually hysterical...if you're losing control of a FRS and wrecking it, your first problem is your driving skills...or lack thereof. There is no reason you're wrecking a car like that, beyond the fact that you must be an absolute idiot. Turn off the assists, go to a park, learn the car and its limits.

I took an M6 sideways unintentionally in a tunnel a few weeks ago in the cold, forgetting all the assists were off (they were disabled previously to enable an additional setting in the car). That's over 500HP. But I saved it and chuckled. I knew how to correct a high powered car.

So if someone is driving an FR-S and wrecking it, they shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car in general. They'd have done the same in a Mini or a Fiat.

audi-partenaire-film-transporter-3-001.jpg

All in a day's work.

Enron

Banned
Just got back from the Atlanta Auto Show. Definitely the most cars I've ever driven at the auto show:

FRS: I was disappointed, but it wasn't the car's fault. My drive was ruined by constantly having an iQ in front of me. I never really got to have much fun with it. Made a nice noise for a 4-cylinder the couple opportunities I had to floor it though.

I drove the FRS at the Atlanta Auto Show as well. I really liked it, but I didn't get a chance to really do anything but floor it a couple of times. It did seem rather snappy.

Overall the show was a letdown this year. Manufacturers brought less cars (at least, less 'cool' cars) and several participants from the last couple of shows were nowhere to be seen, including the local dealer that always brings the supercars :(

bcl0328

This story about a woman being "burnt" by the seat warmer in her Jetta is kind of amusing. I loved how suprised she sounded when her internet searching revealed evidence of electrical problems in circa 2004 VWs.

She sounds like she wants to get her seat fixed by VW Canada for free despite her car being 9 years old. Not to mention that she specified it happened last month, where temps in Nanaimo barely dipped below zero. Who the hell needs seat warmers above zero celcius?

it feels so fucking warm and toasty that's why. i hate waking up at 530am and getting into a freezing cold car. i put them on high and turn on my heated steering wheel. bliss.

ascii42

I drove the FRS at the Atlanta Auto Show as well. I really liked it, but I didn't get a chance to really do anything but floor it a couple of times. It did seem rather snappy.

Overall the show was a letdown this year. Manufacturers brought less cars (at least, less 'cool' cars) and several participants from the last couple of shows were nowhere to be seen, including the local dealer that always brings the supercars :(

Yeah, that's true. I thought the "Then and Now" exhibit was kind of cool, though.

Alpha's always a little douchey with his comments but he's not wrong. People wrecking 86's are hooning too hard and pushing the car above their skill level, and seeing as that it's a very forgiving car by all accounts you can only assume those drivers have no idea what they're doing.

Is anyone all that surprised by this, though? I'm sure that insurance companies aren't.

Edit: Regarding heated seats, I crank mine up if it's 55F or below just because it feels awesome on a brisk day.

N-Bomb

I'm just the most vocal and expressive about it. Others are having a laughing riot away from this thread.

People wrecking their new cars isn't really funny unless they're assholes and deserved it.

That said, I think I need new winter tires. This thing is plowing sometimes if I don't set up the turn right.

And srsbz @ heated seats - I find that my bum heats up the seat pretty quick on its own - but then I don't sit on leather. That might make the difference.

That said, I think I need new winter tires. This thing is plowing sometimes if I don't set up the turn right.

Yeah, AWD doesn't do anything for turn-in on snow, and giving it gas in low-traction is more likely to push you forward than pull your nose into the turn (rear tires aren't trying to turn as well as push, so they'll have lots more grip than the front). It's like you said, you've got to set up the turn, get the car rotating, then give it some gas for maximum doriftu.

N-Bomb

Yeah, AWD doesn't do anything for turn-in on snow, and giving it gas in low-traction is more likely to push you forward than pull your nose into the turn (rear tires aren't trying to turn as well as push, so they'll have lots more grip than the front). It's like you said, you've got to set up the turn, get the car rotating, then give it some gas for maximum doriftu.

Yeah. Constantly learning how to drive this car, which I find fascinating. I DO need new tires though, these came with the wheels and had maybe one more season on them - it's showing, especially after a couple rallies!

I actually want to look into seeing if I can change the front-rear bias to default to more rear. I think it's 41/59 f/r from the factory.

KingGondo

Banned
Bought a 2004 Forester 2.5XT this past weekend. 85k miles with one owner.

Car is a blast to drive, it's functional, and reliable. Loving it so far (even if my wife gets to drive it most of the time).

Bought a 2004 Forester 2.5XT this past weekend. 85k miles with one owner.

Car is a blast to drive, it's functional, and reliable. Loving it so far (even if my wife gets to drive it most of the time).

Isn't that the one that has a 0-30mph time of 1.3 seconds? I remember that being kind of a big deal when it came out, as it was faster than an Enzo.

Edit: The 0-30, not faster in general that'd be crazy.

KingGondo

Banned
Isn't that the one that has a 0-30mph time of 1.3 seconds? I remember that being kind of a big deal when it came out, as it was faster than an Enzo.
It's very fast. It's listed at 0-60 in 5.3 seconds, which I totally believe.

Not the most economical choice with regard to fuel, but it won't be going more than 25 miles most days.

I want to get a new car this year now I got a job. My old 97 geo prizm is still good, but it's a bit slow.

Any recommendations for a car that is zippy/sporty, but can be used for daily commute? Thinking of FR-S or miata, maybe a used 350z. <30k would be preferable.

also... noticed now that auto cars seem to have better mileage than manual (according to the sticker). Sure manual is probably 'more fun' but are there any other benefits? Should I the very least take a lesson to check it out (no friends around that drive stick, lessons here are $160 for the 2 hrs).

ascii42

I want to get a new car this year now I got a job. My old 97 geo prizm is still good, but it's a bit slow.

Any recommendations for a car that is zippy/sporty, but can be used for daily commute? Thinking of FR-S or miata, maybe a used 350z. <30k would be preferable.

also... noticed now that auto cars seem to have better mileage than manual (according to the sticker). Sure manual is probably 'more fun' but are there any other benefits? Should I the very least take a lesson to check it out (no friends around that drive stick, lessons here are $160 for the 2 hrs).

Other benefit of manual is it's usually cheaper, by $1k or so. Since you control all of the gear changes, your mileage may differ more from the estimates than it would with with an automatic.

More fun is the only reason you need. And you won't understand the appeal of having a manual from taking a 2 hour lesson. At some point you just have to realize that there's a reason more sports cars are manuals and commit to buying a driving one daily.

N-Bomb

Shout out to a good local...

SR24VET with Anti Lag!? Yes please!

I can't wait to see this thing out on the track!

What the... VET? What's a VET?

Manual is always always better. And why would you ever want a car that's less fun?

Is a liveable for daily commute in traffic?

Yes. I actually find that an auto lulls you in traffic, when you really should be more alert.

Are there any reasons to shell out for the factory navigation system? I assume there gotta be some benefit due to it being wired into the car's computer?

Or is google maps on my phone good enough/better?

Acid08

Banned
That's actually hysterical...if you're losing control of a FRS and wrecking it, your first problem is your driving skills...or lack thereof. There is no reason you're wrecking a car like that, beyond the fact that you must be an absolute idiot. Turn off the assists, go to a park, learn the car and its limits.

I took an M6 sideways unintentionally in a tunnel a few weeks ago in the cold, forgetting all the assists were off (they were disabled previously to enable an additional setting in the car). That's over 500HP. But I saved it and chuckled. I knew how to correct a high powered car.

So if someone is driving an FR-S and wrecking it, they shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car in general. They'd have done the same in a Mini or a Fiat.

You seem like a real fucking asshole.

Chamai

Banned
Congrats man. I have not enjoyed driving this much in a long time!

These last 10 months have been bliss.

Listen do not ever EVER turn the assists off!
EVER!!!!!!!!

thanks, i just leave everything the way it is. i just go to work and go home with it. on the weekends, i usually take the family car out.

Arc07

So I was given the opportunity to pick one of the three cars that I'm currently looking for... and can't decide. Maybe you guys can help.

Currently I have a 2001 C5 Convertible that I'm trading to a buddy of mine that owns a high-end luxury car dealership. I gave him a list of cars I'd be interested in and he told me that any of these three would work. Each one would have anywhere from 50-60k miles.

1) 2003 (preferably for 50th Anniv.) C5 Z06. I'm a big fan of the C5s and I'd really like the "ultimate" version of it.

2) Any year white w/ red int. S2000. I owned one when I was younger and I miss it so much. Wasn't a fan of the color I had chosen so I got rid of her. Huge mistake that I've regretted for 4 years now.

3) Now this is a long shot. 2004-06 VW Phaeton. I understand that it's in the top 5 list for losing the most value (W12 models were over $100k new back in 04 and are selling for under $20k today) but they seem to be notoriously reliable and are basically a Bentley Continental GT with a LWB Passat body over it. I understand that if anything were to go wrong with a Phaeton... it's game over. I wouldn't be able to afford repairs most likely.

I'm torn here. Help me CarGAF.

speedline

Banned
So I was given the opportunity to pick one of the three cars that I'm currently looking for... and can't decide. Maybe you guys can help.

Currently I have a 2001 C5 Convertible that I'm trading to a buddy of mine that owns a high-end luxury car dealership. I gave him a list of cars I'd be interested in and he told me that any of these three would work. Each one would have anywhere from 50-60k miles.

1) 2003 (preferably for 50th Anniv.) C5 Z06. I'm a big fan of the C5s and I'd really like the "ultimate" version of it.

2) Any year white w/ red int. S2000. I owned one when I was younger and I miss it so much. Wasn't a fan of the color I had chosen so I got rid of her. Huge mistake that I've regretted for 4 years now.

3) Now this is a long shot. 2004-06 VW Phaeton. I understand that it's in the top 5 list for losing the most value (W12 models were over $100k new back in 04 and are selling for under $20k today) but they seem to be notoriously reliable and are basically a Bentley Continental GT with a LWB Passat body over it. I understand that if anything were to go wrong with a Phaeton... it's game over. I wouldn't be able to afford repairs most likely.

Have you ever thought of the 04-06 GTO or the G8 GT? You get the best of both worlds with the G8 because you have an LS based V8 and 4 doors with great styling. If I had to purely pick from your list I would go with the ZO6 just because I think the are beautiful and am a fan of any LS powered car, but if you truly miss the s2000 so much you would probably like it just as well. Good luck!

Going from a C5 vert to a later year C5 Z06 is night and day. I have a C5Z now. Had regular C5's before that.

The Z06 is light, fast, brakes and handles great. It's an amazing track car too. Really well balanced and a blast to drive.

S2000 is simply not in the same class. Not even close.

I would narrow it down between S2000 and C5 Z06. That all GPW w/ all red interior is rare, let alone a clean GPW w/ regular red interior. If cost isnt an issue, C5 Z06 all day. S2000 and C5 Z06 are relatively easy to maintain, work on, and have a blast driving both. Really cant lose with either. Although C5 Z06 has a bit more practicality.

Z06 and S2000 aren't even in the same league in terms of performance.

I still want to go pick one up, but Ive got to see what happens with my work.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I lost part of the car jack set for my Honda Accord 2007 when it got stuck out in the desert for a bit. Will any old jack set work on it? Or does it use some sort of exclusive proprietary design where I have to get a specific Honda Accord jack set? I would really prefer to not spend more than $50.

Probably a dumb question, so I do apologize in advance. Going on an 8 hour road trip on Friday and don't want to leave unprepared.

I lost part of the car jack set for my Honda Accord 2007 when it got stuck out in the desert for a bit. Will any old jack set work on it? Or does it use some sort of exclusive proprietary design where I have to get a specific Honda Accord jack set? I would really prefer to not spend more than $50.

Probably a dumb question, so I do apologize in advance. Going on an 8 hour road trip on Friday and don't want to leave unprepared.

May not be proprietary, but emergency jack/sill designs vary a bit so you'll need to find out what can be used.

Alternatively, buy a cheap trolley jack, not sure how much they cost in the US. Then you can just jack off (lol) a structural point.

On a different note...

550 PS XFR-S engine? Hnnnggggghhhhh...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Oh man, just another couple of weeks before I finally get to start driving cars in Europe and make my choice. Getting excited.

Current choices (with varying engine config):

BMW 3 series F30, 5 series F10, Audi A5 Sportback, Audi A6, Volvo S60 or V60 R-Design, and maybe even a Mercedes C-Class (most recent - but I don't think it'll deliver what I'm looking for).

What about the ol' Jaguar XF? There are some very good prices out there on XF models but, man, I've yet to hear one good thing about Jaguar reliability. Are they REALLY that unreliable? I probably wouldn't consider anyways due to lack of manual transmission (which all of the others offer), but still, it is really nice looking and interesting.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Oh man, just another couple of weeks before I finally get to start driving cars in Europe and make my choice. Getting excited.

BMW 3 series F30, 5 series F10, Audi A5 Sportback, Audi A6, Volvo S60 or V60 R-Design, and maybe even a Mercedes C-Class (most recent - but I don't think it'll deliver what I'm looking for).

What about the ol' Jaguar XF? There are some very good prices out there on XF models but, man, I've yet to hear one good thing about Jaguar reliability. Are they REALLY that unreliable? I probably wouldn't consider anyways due to lack of manual transmission (which all of the others offer), but still, it is really nice looking and interesting.

In Germany, Jaguar appreciation has taken a big hit when it was sold to Tata, now it is perceived as an "Indian car" here. Not a bad rep on reliability, though.

As for choice of your cars mentioned, nothing wrong with either of it. just go after the one you can get the best conditions for.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
In Germany, Jaguar appreciation has taken a big hit when it was sold to Tata, now it is perceived as an "Indian car" here. Not a bad rep on reliability, though.

As for choice of your cars mentioned, nothing wrong with either of it. just go after the one you can get the best conditions for.
Ah, that might explain the high number of "cheap Jags" I'm seeing available. You can get a loaded XF with under 28,000km for the same price as an older low option E90 BMW. I'm totally surprised by it.

paskowitz

I would go for the F30 3 Series. It is a fantastic car. Certain models have the new steering wheel from the 6 series and it is honestly the best feeling wheel I have used in a not sports car. While the steering itself does leave something to be desired the car overall is great.

The Audi 5 series honestly feels like a boat to me. I drove an older generation one so maybe they have improved it, but based on my drive I would never buy it.

Forsete

Kind of same here but with Volvo, the Chinese car.

Im still not sure on the quality of jaguar since tata has taken over, not that it has ever been exceptional.

Are they still using all ford engines like Land Rover?

Finance question.

Got my first job recently. 3 months contract to perm as a developer ($30/month 65k a year). Was wondering if getting a new car this year is ok or dumb.

*Got ~$20,000 in loans to pay off (parents may pay half of it, not sure yet).
*Living at home so free housing/breakfast/dinner (Let's say $50 a week on lunch)
*Spend probably about... ~$200 a month on games/entertainment/etc thingies
*Drive an old prizm so gas isn't too much of an issue (and in atl) maybe $40 a week.

I guess smartly, i'd wait til at least i make sure i'm on permanent before getting anything. And even smarter I at least have enough cash to buy a car and not bother with banks (but paying full for depreciating item...). Or go halfway and get a cheap used car.

I just have THE ITCH to drive something different. the ITCH!

paskowitz

Finance question.

Got my first job recently. 3 months contract to perm as a developer ($30/month 65k a year). Was wondering if getting a new car this year is ok or dumb.

*Got ~$20,000 in loans to pay off (parents may pay half of it, not sure yet).
*Living at home so free housing/breakfast/dinner (Let's say $50 a week on lunch)
*Spend probably about... ~$200 a month on games/entertainment/etc thingies
*Drive an old prizm so gas isn't too much of an issue (and in atl) maybe $40 a week.

I guess smartly, i'd wait til at least i make sure i'm on permanent before getting anything. And even smarter I at least have enough cash to buy a car and not bother with banks. Or go halfway and get a cheap used car.

I just have THE ITCH to drive something different. the ITCH!

Congrats on the job BTW.

I think you answered your own question. Wait a year.

I have itches as well. That is why I have GT5, iRacing, rFactor2, pCARS, Assetto Corsa, and a Fanatec ClubSport Wheel with ClubSport V2 pedals. I have the itch to drive a Corvette C6R at Laguna Seca... ok, get home, itch scratched. Suddenly I do not care about my POS Subaru Outback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom