• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Banned
Finance question.

Got my first job recently. 3 months contract to perm as a developer ($30/month 65k a year). Was wondering if getting a new car this year is ok or dumb.

*Got ~$20,000 in loans to pay off (parents may pay half of it, not sure yet).
*Living at home so free housing/breakfast/dinner (Let's say $50 a week on lunch)
*Spend probably about... ~$200 a month on games/entertainment/etc thingies
*Drive an old prizm so gas isn't too much of an issue (and in atl) maybe $40 a week.

I guess smartly, i'd wait til at least i make sure i'm on permanent before getting anything. And even smarter I at least have enough cash to buy a car and not bother with banks. Or go halfway and get a cheap used car.

I just have THE ITCH to drive something different. the ITCH!

pay off the loans man

Finance question.

Got my first job recently. 3 months contract to perm as a developer ($30/month 65k a year). Was wondering if getting a new car this year is ok or dumb.

*Got ~$20,000 in loans to pay off (parents may pay half of it, not sure yet).
*Living at home so free housing/breakfast/dinner (Let's say $50 a week on lunch)
*Spend probably about... ~$200 a month on games/entertainment/etc thingies
*Drive an old prizm so gas isn't too much of an issue (and in atl) maybe $40 a week.

I guess smartly, i'd wait til at least i make sure i'm on permanent before getting anything. And even smarter I at least have enough cash to buy a car and not bother with banks (but paying full for depreciating item...). Or go halfway and get a cheap used car.

used miata and what pj said, take care of your loans first.

The good thing about the miata is you just turn it into a track or project car for not a lot money after you buy the new car.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
$20k in loans? And parents are probably paying half of it? On a $65k/yr salary? And still living at home?

Yes, you can afford a $20k ($300/mo) car and pay off the $20k in loans at the same time. I suggest you wait until you become a full-time developer.

Angst

Looking at what you guys pay for cars make me die a bit on the inside :(

I just bought a 2010 VW Passat Variant with a whopping 2.0 TDI Bluemotion engine.

By Norwegian standards I got a pretty good price: 32.5 k USD...

Anyway, here's the new family hauler:

9FvGDss.jpg

JdMiXlM.jpg

J-Rzez

LMAO. Why not? I did it. And all of that 150lbs of fury didn't even shimmy the rear end on a launch or shift into 2nd.

You would be surprised what some people who never drove anything outside of their FWD equally or less powered cars and move into a RWD car, if that's the case of course. Maybe around a turn with traction control off, stock economy tires cold, and climate itself cold it could possibly step up unexpectedly, especially for someone who never drove a RWD car or was versed in proper driving concepts. I don't know, I'm trying to figure it out myself how this many people would wreck these cars.

I'd suspect that most will try to show off and do something unrecoverable who wrap these things around poles.

Anyways, on a side but loosely related note, Subaru will be showing off a "new performance concept" at NYIAS. Can't wait, I'll be there to check it out. Hopefully it's the all new WRX and not a turbo BRZ. Though seeing how many hardcore "don't need teh_pwr" 86 drivers start drooling over a proper powerful and performing car would be a minor consolation prize.

I just bought a 2010 VW Passat Variant with a whopping 2.0 TDI Bluemotion engine.

I'm really sorry that prices in Europe suck ass, but it's a good looking car, utilitarian as hell and fuel efficient so (b^_^)b

Angst

I'm really sorry that prices in Europe suck ass, but it's a good looking car, utilitarian as hell and fuel efficient so (b^_^)b

Yeah, I'm happy with the car - picking it up today :)

I'll be able to fit the dog, luggage and all our skis (very important in Norway). I'll need to pick up a ski box though.

9FvGDss.jpg

JdMiXlM.jpg

Nice. Take in interior pics when you get a chance, I love German interiors.

N-Bomb

Finance question.

---

are miatas reliable? Have had mixed experiences with mazdas.

Miatas are quite reliable, quite fun, quite small. Have you considered getting a motorcycle? Much cheaper to own.

Anyways, on a side but loosely related note, Subaru will be showing off a "new performance concept" at NYIAS. Can't wait, I'll be there to check it out. Hopefully it's the all new WRX and not a turbo BRZ. Though seeing how many hardcore "don't need teh_pwr" 86 drivers start drooling over a proper powerful and performing car would be a minor consolation prize.

Remember that Subaru said they were thinking of going upmarket with the next WRX? I hope not, but eager to see this.

Never really considered a motorbike due to having a not so fun accident on a normal bike when I was young.

Hmmmm. Btw is there a good resource online to learn about everything about cars and how they work etc? Just realized that cars are about the only thing I own that I know little about. I guess its probably due to me never having purchased a car with my own money before ( current car was cousins old machine).

TylerD

Never really considered a motorbike due to having a not so fun accident on a normal bike when I was young.

Hmmmm. Btw is there a good resource online to learn about everything about cars and how they work etc? Just realized that cars are about the only thing I own that I know little about. I guess its probably due to me never having purchased a car with my own money before ( current car was cousins old machine).

This seems like a nice place to start.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car.htm

J-Rzez

Remember that Subaru said they were thinking of going upmarket with the next WRX? I hope not, but eager to see this.

Well they also said it was going to be an all new platform in which they can go more "hardcore" with such as better handling at the cost of ride quality. I don't think they'd price themselves out of the market that's established for themselves in the price range they catered to for years. Well, at least for the WRX. The STI is all bets off to me, who knows what they'd do there as they can come in to the 40k range as is.

J-Rzez

Anyone here going to the NYIAS next week? I'm excited as there's a lot of models being unveiled, both new and refreshes. Can't wait. Too bad the food court there sucks.

N-Bomb

Try http://www.youtube.com/user/EricTheCarGuy

Well they also said it was going to be an all new platform in which they can go more "hardcore" with such as better handling at the cost of ride quality. I don't think they'd price themselves out of the market that's established for themselves in the price range they catered to for years. Well, at least for the WRX. The STI is all bets off to me, who knows what they'd do there as they can come in to the 40k range as is.

Well, that kinda sucks, too. One of the great things about the Impreza is that it's like lego, and you can take a bottom-level one and soup it up pretty easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UkjqQ1rXpRs

Chris Harris has some good technical geekery in this video.

How insane is this engine? 630HP/468TQ N/A V8. For comparison, the 458 Italia has a 562HP/398TQ N/A V8 and the Aventador has a 690HP/510TQ N/A V12.

Probably the last time we'll see N/A engines like those in a production car.

I must be the only one here that doesn't care for more hp than his tires can grip. I mean at that point I'd really rather buy a plane and fly. Great, it can go REALLY FAST IN A STRAIGHT LINE or PRETTY FAST ON A TRACK. Leaves me hollow. :(

are miatas reliable? Have had mixed experiences with mazdas.

Very reliable. Very easy to work on and the after market is very strong. Used parts are everywhere. Good car to learn to do basic mechanics.

Miatas are quite reliable, quite fun, quite small. Have you considered getting a motorcycle? Much cheaper to own.
Not really. I spent more maintaining my lil' Ninja 250 than I did my early 90's Accord. The tires go pretty fast because of the softer compound and more careful maintenance is required. To be fair, I rode that thing almost every day in SoCal and I'm not a gentle rider.

Watching youtube videos of repair stuff and infotainment stuff like Wheeler Dealers is a pretty good resource for learning about cars.

Thought this was pretty interesting, as I've been wondering for a while now how Hyundai/Kia's quality improvements over the last few years and the Big Three's resurgence has been going:

Edmunds has taken a closer look at the buying habits of young adults. As it turns out, Gen X and Gen Y buyers are increasingly eschewing Japanese brands in favor of South Korean and American automakers. Five years ago, that wasn't the case, with more than half of all young buyers flocking to brands like Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Subaru and Mazda. But the U.S. has made up quite a bit of ground in recent years by producing inexpensive and fuel efficient small cars that appeal to a younger audience. Likewise, Hyundai and Kia have sharpened their small car games as well, and are now making more credit available to younger customers.

Those efforts have begun to pay dividends. While Japanese brands have seen their share of 18-24 year-old buyers slide by 9.8 percent between 2008 and 2012, domestic automakers have enjoyed a 1.9 percent increase. South Korean brands, meanwhile, have enjoyed the largest jump, with a 6.8 percent increase over the same time period.

More here:

http://www.edmunds.com/about/press/...-us-and-korean-brands-reports-edmundscom.html

Chamai

Banned
I have on 5-6 occasions heard of people losing control. Especially with the stock tires. I know 2 people personally that have wrecked their car. Your joke about the torque was unnecessary, yet all too common in this thread.

We all knew what the car was months before it ever came out. If we wanted a Charger or mustang, we would have bought one.

I don't need to tell you what we did get, because its everywhere you look. Magazines, TV, internet.

didn't really have a chance to go nuts on this car yet. never came close to losing control though. they prob hit the brakes while turning? that may cause the car to spin. getting some bigger and wider rims soon so it's gonna take more effort let the back loose.

cajunator

Banned

chepu

Hey MotorGAF im travelling to the US next week, specifically New York.

Whats the best place to be in New York for a Car geek?, you know, view/spot/hear exotic/tuner cars, maybe a car museum or something awesome thats car related?

I went to that Gotham dream cars or something Website but the sprints are already booked till July :(.

So, some recomendations would be Extremely awesome and thanks in advance!

Niiiiice. As a fan of the Maserati MC12 I cant wait to see what Maserati does to the...LF.
I hate that name so much.

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/03/laferrari-based-maserati-mc12-successor.html

Yes. My coworker has had one for a long time. Thing is bulletproof and fun.
Find a good condition used one and it will be one of the best cars you'll ever have.

Hmmm will go test drive one. Google tells me they also use unlead gas. Excellent. Scared about trunk space though.

maeh2k

Innofensive and clean, but kind of soulless. Wouldn't put me off, but certainly wouldn't attract me. A has the best Interiors of VAG.

The Passat is avaiable with lots of different (expensive) customization options. I'm not a fan of all-black with aluminum panels, either, but there are some really great versions with brown and/or beige colors and wood panels. Makes it look like a different car.

From the Passat configurator on the German site:
passat_interior.png

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The Passat is avaiable with lots of different (expensive) customization options. I'm not a fan of all-black with aluminum panels, either, but there are some really great versions with brown and/or beige colors and wood panels. Makes it look like a different car.

From the Passat configurator on the German site:
passat_interior.png

that's better.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Hey MotorGAF im travelling to the US next week, specifically New York.

Whats the best place to be in New York for a Car geek?, you know, view/spot/hear exotic/tuner cars, maybe a car museum or something awesome thats car related?

I went to that Gotham dream cars or something Website but the sprints are already booked till July :(.

So, some recomendations would be Extremely awesome and thanks in advance!

Well...if you want to see tons of exotics, places like Great Neck, Manhasset and Roslyn (all neighboring towns in Long Island) have an influx of them. I've seen virtually everything under the sun living there. The American Manhasset is a posh outdoor high-end shopping mall...it's common to see exotics in there all the time.

You can also visit Ferrari of Long Island. Lamborghini of Long Island (the owner bought one of the 4 $3M Lamborghini Venenos).

TylerD

hmmm currently thinking of blasting through my $22k of loans in 2 years to minimize interest, so probably get something cheap in the mean time. Thinking of probably just getting a used miata of about $10k or less. I know there are like 3 generation of miatas, any one i should avoid, etc? Would a 100k mi miata be fine (like whats their average 'life')?

N-Bomb

hmmm currently thinking of blasting through my $22k of loans in 2 years to minimize interest, so probably get something cheap in the mean time. Thinking of probably just getting a used miata of about $10k or less. I know there are like 3 generation of miatas, any one i should avoid, etc? Would a 100k mi miata be fine (like whats their average 'life')?

Obviously the less mileage the better, but myself I've always loved the first gen (NA) Miata. Realistically though, I'd look at getting a later model NB - something between 2003-2005 (The Mazdaspeed version, if you can swing it!)

Sidebar: My engine plans are slowly taking shape. Considering a Blouch or Litchfield turbo upgrade at some point rather than a bigger OEM model. Should be able to preserve quick spool and still make 50 or so more hp than currently without having to change out any plumbing or electronics! Also going to look into deleting some of the intake snorkle.

If I can pull off 150-200 torques at around 3000rpm, I'll be so very happy.

Anybody have tire recommendations?

I'm currently running Yoko S.Drives on my NC Miata and I think they've got about a month left before they wear out. So far my choices are another set of S.Drives, Continental ExtremeContact DWS, Kumho Ecsta 4X, General G-MAX AS-03 or the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport. I personally don't care if they're all seasons or summers as North Texas rarely has any snow and even when it does, the entire state shuts down since nobody knows how to drive in the snow here lol.

I'm inclined to stick with the S.Drives since they work really well right now, but I'm also in favor of the Conti DWS as it's performance is pretty similar to the S.Drives, but they also offer some comfort in daily driving, and god knows my Miata is one of the roughest riding cars in existence.

My limit is at $150 per tire, since cash is a little tight. So does anybody have any opinions or other tire suggestions? Thanks.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I'm currently running Yoko S.Drives on my NC Miata and I think they've got about a month left before they wear out. So far my choices are another set of S.Drives, Continental ExtremeContact DWS, Kumho Ecsta 4X, General G-MAX AS-03 or the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport. I personally don't care if they're all seasons or summers as North Texas rarely has any snow and even when it does, the entire state shuts down since nobody knows how to drive in the snow here lol.

I'm inclined to stick with the S.Drives since they work really well right now, but I'm also in favor of the Conti DWS as it's performance is pretty similar to the S.Drives, but they also offer some comfort in daily driving, and god knows my Miata is one of the roughest riding cars in existence.

My limit is at $150 per tire, since cash is a little tight. So does anybody have any opinions or other tire suggestions? Thanks.

Look at Nokians.

Where do you get this information?

Two of my friends' dads have GLKs (2009/2010). Both have experienced major realibility issues, especially with brakes and various electronical components. Early E class from this gen (2009/2010) also had various issues of this sort. On the other hand, this is all anecdotal, so yeah. :p

Where do you get this information?

I found this site a while back while researching reliability: http://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer

This is an interesting index because it's built using actual warranty claim data from an after-market warranty provider (Warranty Direct) and represents actual customer claims.

Of course, it probably reflects model years outside of the last 3-4 years (vehicles would still be under warranty), but you can see MB at the very bottom of that list.

Every time I think about wanting an MB, BMW, or Audi, I look at this list and remind myself of why I can't make that leap.

Everyone has anecdotal evidence and what I read commonly on forums for enthusiasts of various manufacturers is "if you take care of it correctly..." (I've been pining for an A/S4 but I'm continually held back by my own anecdotal experience with friends who have owned A4's), but this is hard, quantitative data. This isn't an initial quality survey or some reliability survey but actual, hard data from claims.

ameratsu

Bridgestone just released the RE-11A in North America. They are priced pretty well and may be worth checking out; thinking about picking up a set for my integra.

ascii42

I found this site a while back while researching reliability: http://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer

This is an interesting index because it's built using actual warranty claim data from an after-market warranty provider (Warranty Direct) and represents actual customer claims.

Of course, it probably reflects model years outside of the last 3-4 years (vehicles would still be under warranty), but you can see MB at the very bottom of that list.

Every time I think about wanting an MB, BMW, or Audi, I look at this list and remind myself of why I can't make that leap.

Everyone has anecdotal evidence and what I read commonly on forums for enthusiasts of various manufacturers is "if you take care of it correctly..." (I've been pining for an A/S4 but I'm continually held back by my own anecdotal experience with friends who have owned A4's), but this is hard, quantitative data. This isn't an initial quality survey or some reliability survey but actual, hard data from claims.

Well, now I know not to buy a Bentley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom