• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I found this site a while back while researching reliability: http://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer

This is an interesting index because it's built using actual warranty claim data from an after-market warranty provider (Warranty Direct) and represents actual customer claims.

Of course, it probably reflects model years outside of the last 3-4 years (vehicles would still be under warranty), but you can see MB at the very bottom of that list.

Every time I think about wanting an MB, BMW, or Audi, I look at this list and remind myself of why I can't make that leap.

Everyone has anecdotal evidence and what I read commonly on forums for enthusiasts of various manufacturers is "if you take care of it correctly..." (I've been pining for an A/S4 but I'm continually held back by my own anecdotal experience with friends who have owned A4's), but this is hard, quantitative data. This isn't an initial quality survey or some reliability survey but actual, hard data from claims.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like this website takes into account average repair costs to determine their reliability index? Of course you'll see luxo brands at the bottom of the list.

Which makes it a flawed system, because cost is relative.

the number of times a car fails,
the cost of repairing it,
the average amount of time it spends off the road due to repairs
the average age and mileage of the vehicles we have on our books.

And some of this stuff doesn't make any sense:

sTuu5u5.png

mWR1bqZ.png

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/242

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/102

The 911, according to their data, has a LOWER average repair cost, spends LESS time off the road, is owned LONGER, but because it's driven less (which makes sense!!) yet it is considered to have "poor" reliability compared to the Accord.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like this website takes into account average repair costs to determine their reliability index? Of course you'll see luxo brands at the bottom of the list.

Which makes it a flawed system, because cost is relative.

I've noticed that and thus looked at the other, non-composite metrics.

There are standalone metrics as well like Time Off the Road. MB and Audi still at the bottom of that list with BMW in the middle of the pack.

Also:

Separately to this figure you can also look at the average cost of repairs for a particular make or model, a car with a good reliability index and a high average cost would imply that the frequency of failure is low, however when it does fail the bill will be a lot more than the average. Toyota, for example, has a high average cost of repair but quite a good index rating - which means that the car fails infrequently but when it does you will be in for a larger than average bill. Overall however, Toyota is a very strong make of car to buy.​

reilo

I've noticed that and thus looked at the other, non-composite metrics.

There are standalone metrics as well like Time Off the Road. MB and Audi still at the bottom of that list with BMW in the middle of the pack.

Also:

Separately to this figure you can also look at the average cost of repairs for a particular make or model, a car with a good reliability index and a high average cost would imply that the frequency of failure is low, however when it does fail the bill will be a lot more than the average. Toyota, for example, has a high average cost of repair but quite a good index rating - which means that the car fails infrequently but when it does you will be in for a larger than average bill. Overall however, Toyota is a very strong make of car to buy.​

They need to do a better job explaining their data. It's all behind-the-scenes, which is useless for a consumer.

According to that site, a Vaxhaull is the most reliable car ever. Fuck that.

Note: I'm not saying Audi or MB are "reliable", just that their list is flawed and probably takes into account a long historical look (past 10-15 years) of a manufacturer. Compare new Hyundais to what they released 15 years ago, for example.

Note: I'm not saying Audi or MB are "reliable", just that their list is flawed and probably takes into account a long historical look (past 10-15 years) of a manufacturer. Compare new Hyundais to what they released 15 years ago, for example.

I already made that disclaimer ;)

By virtue of being an aftermarket warranty supplier (one would only need such a service for an automobile that is out of warranty), the data is necessarily for cars that are going to be older than the current iterations for most manufacturers.

You can call bullshit on the data if you want to, but I don't see a reason why they would fudge the data or attempt to mislead. Do you believe they are trying to smear Audi or MB or BMW? Do you believe that Audi, MB, or BMW would stand for that?

reilo

I already made that disclaimer ;)

By virtue of being an aftermarket warranty supplier (one would only need such a service for an automobile that is out of warranty), the data is necessarily for cars that are going to be older than the current iterations for most manufacturers.

Oh, I didn't even catch that they're an aftermarket warranty supplier. That's even worse.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The metrics are based on "Warranty Direct", which is a shitty ass extended warranty company.

That alone invalidates the entire thing. It's just one giant billboard.

Look at Nokians.

Is there a way to buy it online? Nobody sells Nokians here and the dealer locator on their websites lists a wholesale seller so it's a no go for them.

Bridgestone just released the RE-11A in North America. They are priced pretty well and may be worth checking out; thinking about picking up a set for my integra.

Too expensive lol. Bridgestone lists it at $217 and it has a pretty low tread life. I think they're Bridgestone's Star Specs if you will.

Also, does anybody know if Discount Tire price matches with Tire Rack? S.Drives on TR are $104 while DT has them at $125 lol.

N-Bomb

Seems like the new CTS images are slowly coming in...

Don't know how I feel about the look, especially for what it means to the V and Coupe...

Looks kind of art-deco, reminds me of the trains from the 30s. I rather like it, overall!

Looks like Caddy hasn't caught the ugly virus from the other luxury marques yet.

ascii42

Seems like the new CTS images are slowly coming in...

Don't know how I feel about the look, especially for what it means to the V and Coupe...

Digging the overall shape and stance, particularly the long hood. Not sure about some of the details, like all the lines on the hood, but at the end of the day, it's a Cadillac, it's supposed to be overstyled. I like the grille, but the rear looks like generic Cadillac. Interior looks great. I like the non-glossy wood.
I look forward to seeing Cadillac's full-size flagship sedan, if they ever manage get off their butts and make one.

reilo

That looks like a proper Cadillac and luxurious. Well done. The rear slopes reminds me of a Bentley or a Maybach.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The non-glossy wood is stuff you can expect to see in Bentley, very high premium stuff. Too bad about those front LEDs, they looks really way too exaggerated. Car looks great otherwise but those front leds kill it with how intrusive and gaudy looking they are.

coldfoot

Banned
I absolutely hate Cadillac styling but that CTS looks great, like a budget Bentley. Good thing they gave the mission of sportiness to the ATS and now going for a comfier (but still good handling) and more mature car. James May would be pleased.

AlphaSnake

That looks like a proper Cadillac and luxurious. Well done. The rear slopes reminds me of a Bentley or a Maybach.

Aye.

Car looks good. I can't wait to see it tomorrow in person.

That and the Jag F-Type :D

ascii42

If I had to make one change, it would be those LED running lights. I'd just be rid of them and smooth out the bumper a bit.

The ATS and XTS have them as well, so I guess it's a Cadillac design trait now, much like their tailfin-like tail lights. I prefer how they look on the ATS, though. The bottom part is too tall on the CTS.
images

DJ_Lae

Back end looks weird, like someone pulled so hard at the bottom of the bumper that the rest of the car deformed downwards toward it.

AlphaSnake

I thought we posted those S-Class pics last week.

It is a gorgeous looking car, though. The outgoing car was hideous.

TylerD

You guys didn't post the best pic...

2014-cadillac-cts-sedan.jpg

Bravo Cadillac. I was a little worried when I had only seen the shots of the rear, it looked like a step back in terms of aggressiveness. After seeing the whole picture, I am thoroughly impressed.

In terms of pure styling it stands up to the Germans.

N-Bomb

The ATS and XTS have them as well, so I guess it's a Cadillac design trait now, much like their tailfin-like tail lights. I prefer how they look on the ATS, though. The bottom part is too tall on the CTS.
images

Yep, much better there.

Man, we've gone from a high on the CTS to a low on the new Samsung S-Class. What is it with this Benz trend towards these limp, droopy rear ends? #gag

J-Rzez

It's just a concept render...it'll look nothing like that in production.

Well R&T said these pics are the real deal, that they are pics of the concept car to be shown off at NYIAS, but they filtered the pics to look like a traditional concept photo? Now, of course the headlights and tails (since the trunk can't open lol) won't make it to production, and the rear windows wouldn't exactly go down too far, I can see the rear diffuser toned down, and then there's the ridiculous brakes and cf roof, but if this car is even 85% of what the final version will be I will finally be replacing my old Evo 8.

I just love these types of cars. There's faster sure, but living in the NE these are the ultimate everyday performance car.

Trying to picture this in satin white pearl, from any view outside of the front (which is WRX tradtional), it would look right at home parked in with Audis, BMWs, etc.

The car looks to be smaller than I expected too trying to go off of ratios in the pics, which is great. I was hoping for a 2-door (22b), but this will do just fine.

Rad Agast

If the real thing looks close to those renders, I'll have to stop by the Subaru dealer early next month.

Edit: anyone knows when the STi will be out?

[mg]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2013/03/subaru-impreza-wrx-concept-1-opt.jpg[/img]

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/subaru-wrx-concept/full/#photo-5765875

This is obscene coming from Subaru. Not only would it be the sexiest Subaru ever made, it would be one of the sexiest non-exotic/super cars on the road.

NYIAS is going to be glorious this year, can't wait for the weekend when I go. :)

No fucking way the production model looks anything like this.

J-Rzez

If the real thing looks close to those renders, I'll have to stop by the Subaru dealer early next month.

Edit: anyone knows when the STi will be out?

We don't know anything about this car yet to be honest. We should find out about the powerplant and such this week. Maybe, maybe they'll spill some details on the STI along with it.

I'd guess earliest is fall for this car, or spring of next year.

Those aren't "renders" btw, but pics of the real concept car to be shown. If it looks close to this concept car, that is the question.

No fucking way the production model looks anything like this.

No, I will not remove my hand from my pants. I want to believe.

In reality, of course the brakes, lighting, rear window profile, and roof will not make it, but since Subaru said they are going to separate this from the Imp, chances are it can look 85% or so close to this. And hopefully that means they'll finally dial out the understeer from the factory on these things, and better handling overall at the expense of ride quality would be more than acceptable to me.

One thing though I'm relieved of is that we're getting a WRX concept unveiled, and not another brz. My tickets are ready for this weekend!

Shapingo

Well R&T said these pics are the real deal, that they are pics of the concept car to be shown off at NYIAS, but they filtered the pics to look like a traditional concept photo? Now, of course the headlights and tails (since the trunk can't open lol) won't make it to production, and the rear windows wouldn't exactly go down too far, I can see the rear diffuser toned down, and then there's the ridiculous brakes and cf roof, but if this car is even 85% of what the final version will be I will finally be replacing my old Evo 8.

I just love these types of cars. There's faster sure, but living in the NE these are the ultimate everyday performance car.

Trying to picture this in satin white pearl, from any view outside of the front (which is WRX tradtional), it would look right at home parked in with Audis, BMWs, etc.

The car looks to be smaller than I expected too trying to go off of ratios in the pics, which is great. I was hoping for a 2-door (22b), but this will do just fine.

You won't wait to see the evo version of the next lancer
FORTIS_F_1303SP_SO_1_water.jpg

It is the 4 door version of the current Mirage

Also that WRX concept looks very close to the Car scoop's render
2014-Subaru-WRX-C-Carscoop.jpg

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Ordered a polyurethane bushings set from Energy Suspension for my Civic. Can't wait to get those on. Hopefully it'll help eliminate some body roll and stiffen the steering up a bit.

Next up inner, outer tie rods and ball joints. Can anyone recommend a good source for replacements or a good brand for an EM2 Civic?

J-Rzez

You won't wait to see the evo version of the next lancer
FORTIS_F_1303SP_SO_1_water.jpg

It is the 4 door version of the current Mirage

Considering the financial hardships that Mitsu is facing, that "an Evolution" wasn't green lit by uppers officially until this past year, and electric front-drive diesel powered rear doesn't bode well for my expectations from Mitsu. Not to mention that their financial situation is so dire now that it has been spoken numerous times that they may have to leave the NA market, but got funding to remain after all is scary because I don't think they have the resources to create something super special again.

You have no idea how hard it was for me to type that, as I love the Evolution so much, but it's what I think is the problem we're facing here. Weight is a major enemy to performance, and adding weight via electric motors on the front wheels doesn't sound too inspiring. Not to mention making it a non-jarring experience between the different powerplants driving wheels.

We'll see though. I'm sure Mitsu will show off the new Evo concept at Tokyo this year, and if they don't, that car will be off by two years knowing the nightmare they've been facing not only financially, but getting green lit development wise.

ascii42

Cadillac's PR for the CTS includes some specs: http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...ar/nyas/26mar-cadillac/0326-cadillac-cts.html

Some highlights:
The new CTS is around 5 inches longer than the previous model, but 250 lbs lighter, at 3616 lbs (presumably with the 2L Turbo). That's impressive. It's also 200 lbs lighter than a 528i.

Magnetic ride available. Brembo brakes standard on all but base trim.

With the TTV6, 0 to 60 comes in 4.6 seconds. The V series should be ridiculous.

Only conventional torque converter automatics are available, though I imagine we'll see a manual in the V.

N-Bomb

My god, 6 piston front calipers? It doesn't need that shit. The Brembos on my car are already enough to overwhelm the tires if you're not careful.

I like the looks (more or less, except for the tails), but they gotta lower the stupid and not do some of these things. Ditch the diffuser. Smaller wheels.

Thankfully, I think my complaints are the ones most likely to be toned town by production time... I guess we'll see though. It's kind of Camaro-ish.

The only problem I don't think will get fixed is those tiny side windows. That's an idiot trend that still hasn't worked its way out of the industry yet.

Sailor

When people are selling cars on craigslist and they say "no lowballing" what exactly do they mean? Say the guy says $20k or best offer..what would be a lowball offer in your opinion?

When people are selling cars on craigslist and they say "no lowballing" what exactly do they mean? Say the guy says $20k or best offer..what would be a lowball offer in your opinion?

It means don't offer $10,000 for a car that's worth $20,000. Basically means don't waste my time with stupid offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom