• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chibits12

Banned
The taillights don't look as bad as I thought they would, but they are still far less interesting than the old ones. I do like how the reverse lights are actually integrated instead of just shoved on their though.

Corvette takes the Camaro's tail-lights. Camaro changes its tail-lights. Good strategy Chevy.

Milchjon

Subaru-WRX-Concept-19-fotoshowImageNew-f35d4d25-672656.jpg

This picture illustrates my problem with the design. It looks like they took the dome/cabin/roof/whatever it's called of a smaller car and put it on top of a big sedan.

The proportions are kinda off. Otherwise it looks awesome.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Subaru-WRX-Concept-19-fotoshowImageNew-f35d4d25-672656.jpg

This picture illustrates my problem with the design. It looks like they took the dome/cabin/roof/whatever it's called of a smaller car and put it on top of a big sedan.

The proportions are kinda off. Otherwise it looks awesome.

I sort of like it but it looks like a Scion TC from every angle except this profile.

N-Bomb

From the NY show:
oGfbHMWh.jpg

The 90s called, they want their uninspired ass back, Camaro.

Yeah, they were obviously trying to reference the '69 Camaro

copo-camaro-01-05.jpg

...but it looks like a Prelude.

I was actually thinking more late-80s Camaro (in the shape, at least)

hrdp_0906_05_z+1984_chevrolet_camaro+rear_view.jpg

Japanophiles and people with bad taste.

Talk to me about taste when footballers aren't buying them :eek:

Also, eww, dual clutch.

Mohonky

My father owns a GC8 shape STi, a limited run of the type r coupe made for the Australian market and ever since that model, I have kind of gone off the Subaru marque with the softer iterations of the STi. They lost their raw appeal and performance wise have gotten heavier and softer with more emphasis on comfort; but that concept looks really sharp. I like it.

J-Rzez

NYIAS was a great time. Just some random thoughts from there:

- The WRX concept was killer in person. The paint's flake was hideous as hell and needs to go, but overall in person that car is absolutely, positively, killer looking. I can't believe it, being a Subaru and all that, but it was bloody fantastic. This will be my next everyday car if the performance is on par to what I expect from it. The area that car was in was as packed as the sections with the Super/Hyper cars.

- The CLA 45 AMG. I don't really care for Mercs. I couldn't see myself buying one, ever, since the SLS AMG is out of my price range lol. But this machine, I would certainly consider one. In fact, if the next WRX is a fail, I will consider dumping the extra cash down to get one of these. I know I know, totally different cars, but I oddly lean towards any "rally inspired" car for some odd reason. It's just in my blood and I can't help it.
355hp/332ftlb
26psi
22 city/33 hwy (projected)
Air-to-Water IC
Looks great in person
Killer seats
Starts at 47,500.

- The new Jeep Cherokee, someone is probably going to get fired for that one. The fugliest vehicle I saw there SUV/CUV wise.

- The Honda small CUV concept looks very cool

- The matte pearl white finish on the Camaro Z/28 was the best paint at the show.

- Chevy struck again on the Vette's interior plastics. Absolute garbage. Shifter is better than in the past, still not as good as it should be.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Bought a small, used 316ti BMW (2005) after my old, but very loved Ford Puma is close to breaking down these days. It's fun :) Not the fanciest of cars, but I'm amazed at all the little convenieces I never had before. Still a bit afraid of RWD during winter/wet weather even with all the little electronical helpers, but I guess one gets used to it at some point.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
NYIAS was a great time. Just some random thoughts from there:

- The CLA 45 AMG. I don't really care for Mercs. I couldn't see myself buying one, ever, since the SLS AMG is out of my price range lol. But this machine, I would certainly consider one. In fact, if the next WRX is a fail, I will consider dumping the extra cash down to get one of these. I know I know, totally different cars, but I oddly lean towards any "rally inspired" car for some odd reason. It's just in my blood and I can't help it.
355hp/332ftlb
26psi
22 city/33 hwy (projected)
Air-to-Water IC
Looks great in person
Killer seats
Starts at 47,500.
Isn't it still FWD?

J-Rzez

All wheel drive is standard for the AMG model.

Standard equipment is fwd with awd optional.

Exactly. That AMG being AWD standard was the interest point for me that's for sure. It's just a matter of what other equipment is standard and what is optional that'll make or break it. I have their PDF, but it's worded poorly in sections, so I guess we'll wait and see.

Az

Going today to pick up my wife's 2014 Mazda 6. She fell in love with it since we saw it when getting our Mazda 3 serviced. I am suprising her so looking forward to it quite a bit.

reilo

Going today to pick up my wife's 2014 Mazda 6. She fell in love with it since we saw it when getting our Mazda 3 serviced. I am suprising her so looking forward to it quite a bit.

She doesn't now you bought it for her?

Az

She doesn't now you bought it for her?

Yup. Past couple of weeks I got little info out of her as to what color she likes, etc. So I had my local dealer get one from out of town. She drove it before though and loved it.

reilo

Yup. Past couple of weeks I got little info out of her as to what color she likes, etc. So I had my local dealer get one from out of town. She drove it before though and loved it.

Sweetest husband. I hope you two are secure with each other's finances for you to just randomly buy a car for her LOL.

Smokey

Weird spot right now. CPO warranty on my 335 is over in 08/14. Car had 20k miles when I first got it and now I'm up to 61k only 2 years later so needless to say I drive it a lot. that warranty saved me the other day when the water pump when out. It was due for service as well so they just knocked it all out at once. I paid $50 on what was somewhere close to 2k in 'work' that they did. That was the first time something has gone wrong since owning the car in my 2 years. It's treated me well (excluding the shitty run flats that I got rid if).

Like I said tho it ends next year and I don't plan on getting another warranty. So I need to sell it asap and keep it moving. With the amount I drive plus the warranty close to expiring, I imagine the value is just going to plummet the longer I hold it.

Have no clue what to get next. In the middle of all of these redesigns. Dunno if I want a couple or sedan. That M4 is what I think I have my heart set on but that's so far out. Starting to feel like I need to do something quick too due to what i mentioned in the previous paragraph.

Just randomly rambling but I feel sort of 'stuck' on what to do and a direction to take.

Weird spot right now. CPO warranty on my 335 is over in 08/14. Car had 20k miles when I first got it and now I'm up to 61k only 2 years later so needless to say I drive it a lot. that warranty saved me the other day when the water pump when out. It was due for service as well so they just knocked it all out at once. I paid $50 on what was somewhere close to 2k in 'work' that they did. That was the first time something has gone wrong since owning the car in my 2 years. It's treated me well (excluding the shitty run flats that I got rid if).

Like I said tho it ends next year and I don't plan on getting another warranty. So I need to sell it asap and keep it moving. With the amount I drive plus the warranty close to expiring, I imagine the value is just going to plummet the longer I hold it.

Have no clue what to get next. In the middle of all of these redesigns. Dunno if I want a couple or sedan. That M4 is what I think I have my heart set on but that's so far out. Starting to feel like I need to do something quick too due to what i mentioned in the previous paragraph.

Just randomly rambling but I feel sort of 'stuck' on what to do and a direction to take.

The value of your car has already plummeted, why would you ditch it now? Sounds like you could drive it another four years no problem.

Smokey

The value of your car has already plummeted, why would you ditch it now? Sounds like you could drive it another four years no problem.

Combination of want and I feel, no I know, I'm paying too much for it at the moment. I think I'd feel much better paying the note I have now for a 2013/14 model rather than a 08 with a warranty that is about to expire.

Combination of want and I feel, no I know, I'm paying too much for it at the moment. I think I'd feel much better paying the note I have now for a 2013/14 model rather than a 08 with a warranty that is about to expire.

Well just realize you're going to eat a lot of depreciation doing that. I think if you're going to be putting 30k miles a year on your car you might be better off getting a cheaper economy car as a daily driver (with something fun/nice on the side if you're so inclined).

Oh yea, I am financially very responsible so this was even weird for me. =)

are you taking her to the dealership or ya driving the car home? Think option 2 would be more surprising... but then you needa somehow get your other car back :p

Or taxi or get a ride from a friend.

ascii42

Well just realize you're going to eat a lot of depreciation doing that. I think if you're going to be putting 30k miles a year on your car you might be better off getting a cheaper economy car as a daily driver (with something fun/nice on the side if you're so inclined).

20k per year, actually. Agree on the depreciation. I'd keep the car until the warranty ran out, and then evaluate what to do. A 335d could be fun and efficient.

Smokey

Yeah I've thought of that too. I really like the 335 tho, and feel that if I went this route I would really end up missing it. It's my daily commuter and doubles as a convert too which gets lots of use down here in the south and on the weekends. We also have a corolla (that the fiance drives), and on those rare occassions when I do drive it, it's quiteeeee the difference as you can imagine. If I went this route dunno if I want to make that big of a jump...I'd still wanna fill like I'm living and not dead inside.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Get a new car.

Once an old car starts bugging me or feels like it may become a burden, I ditch it. A higher mileage BMW, especially a 335i (I had one too, if you recall) is a reliability concern. I hate having issues with cars and I hate having to go to dealerships.

Az

are you taking her to the dealership or ya driving the car home? Think option 2 would be more surprising... but then you needa somehow get your other car back :p

Or taxi or get a ride from a friend.

Took her to the dealer saying our old car needed a check up. The guy that sold me the car played along. I wish i recorded it, she cried a bit.

reilo

Took her to the dealer saying our old car needed a check up. The guy that sold me the car played along. I wish i recorded it, she cried a bit.

Don't mess up... that trunk can fit 5 Tony Sopranos.

80% of the world's wealth is owned by 8% of the world's population.

Saudi Princes and Oil Execs can only buy so many X6 Ms and S-Classes.

They're hurting themselves honestly. The fact that an Acura exists that's cheaper than multiple cars in the Honda lineup has got to start raising eyebrows with people and having them ask, what's the point?

As an Audi owner myself, I've confused one of the newer Passats in a parking lot with my A4 because the styling has gotten so similar. It's fantastic for people in general, but people who only define themselves through some materialistic sense must be pretty irate when a Taurus has the same tech as their $100,000 7 Series (As the article points out).

good stuff. Was just at a mazda dealer today for that free card, saw the new 6. Great looking car.

Drove around in a 2013 miata automatic. snappy car.... and runs on cheap fuel! Might get a used one :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom