• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascii42

so what are you guys thoughts on the 2013 ford focus sedan?

also, just a general question because people keep trying to steer me clear from used cars.. is 60,000 miles really that bad? I know it varies for car to car but say for a 2007 BMW or something nice? I feel like i can get a decent car used that will have all the luxury and feel that i really actually want.

I want an audi.

Main thing to keep in mind is maintenance costs. They will be considerably higher than for regular cars (especially since you are looking at European cars). So even if nothing goes wrong, you'll be spending more for the car over time. And if something does go wrong? Yeah....

Certified pre-owned is the only way I'd buy a European car.

Palabrah

A BMW/Audi/Merc with 60K is bad, because they're expensive luxury cars with many things that can go wrong, and most likely cheaply maintained in the case of Audi.

A Honda/Toyota with 60K is fine to buy.

I want to do new, used cars are just so tempting. Maybe I should scour craigslist some too. I want either the Focus or the Fusion.

A BMW/Audi/Merc with 60K is bad, because they're expensive luxury cars with many things that can go wrong, and most likely cheaply maintained in the case of Audi.

A Honda/Toyota with 60K is fine to buy.

I'd worry about a used Audi and Merc, but I'd feel better about buying a used BMW. Their history's a little friendlier when it comes to reliability.

slider

I'll understand if people ignore this. I'm going to pose a question and (probably) not provide enough information and won't be able to post any follow ups for a while...

My wife and I are expecting our first child later this year. I want to get a car for her post birth. She's a very capable driver but:

1) Likes smaller cars
2) Won't let me/us spend "too much" (initial discussions would suggest nothing too far north of £10k although I'm sure I could convince her that £15k is ok).

So, we'd like a car that fits nicely around these criteria:

1) Won't be driven too often; but regular trips to the other end of the country (circa 300 miles), to see her folks
2) Has room for her, baby and our large dog; dog and baby to be separate of course

In principle I'd suggested a compact estate of some sort but she's automatically put off the idea because of the estate label (estate I think = wagon for our North American cousins!!). The second point about baby/dog separation is the most crucial factor as far as I'm concerned.

Any suggestions bearing in mind we're in the UK so choice might be more limited/different than the USA for example. My thinking is a small estate/wagon if such a thing exists.

Assuming someone can suggest something: thanks in advance!

ascii42

I'll understand if people ignore this. I'm going to pose a question and (probably) not provide enough information and won't be able to post any follow ups for a while...

My wife and I are expecting our first child later this year. I want to get a car for her post birth. She's a very capable driver but:

1) Likes smaller cars
2) Won't let me/us spend "too much" (initial discussions would suggest nothing too far north of £10k although I'm sure I could convince her that £15k is ok).

So, we'd like a car that fits nicely around these criteria:

1) Won't be driven too often; but regular trips to the other end of the country (circa 300 miles), to see her folks
2) Has room for her, baby and our large dog; dog and baby to be separate of course

In principle I'd suggested a compact estate of some sort but she's automatically put off the idea because of the estate label (estate I think = wagon for our North American cousins!!). The second point about baby/dog separation is the most crucial factor as far as I'm concerned.

Any suggestions bearing in mind we're in the UK so choice might be more limited/different than the USA for example. My thinking is a small estate/wagon if such a thing exists.

Assuming someone can suggest something: thanks in advance!
My knowledge of the UK market is limited. What do the Ford Focus and Fiesta cost over there? I think those should be in that range.
On your second point, seems like an estate would be the way to go. The dog could go in the rear hatch area.

slider

Thanks ascii, I'll show her your reply!

The Fords are definitely do-able price wise especially as we'd pick up a used version. There's an Audi dealership at the station I get off at and I'd also thought about an A4(?) which looked very compact.

I guess I'm in for an effort over the next few months to slowly change her mind. I'd shown her the Focus Estate before and she'd baulked at the size.

Cheers.

What is the general consensus on the 2013 Mustang? I had a used 1994 Mustang years ago, loved it (If you had one you know those seats were amazing), and would like to get back into one. I plan on test driving one as well as a Camaro, Genesis Coupe, and possibly a Challenger to see how each feels. But my heart is kind of set on the Mustang. As of right now I drive a 2002 Toyota Solara which has been a great vehicle for my commuting back and forth to school. Yes, this will be a college graduation gift. I'm single, male, and 28 to give a bit of background of me

Thanks ascii, I'll show her your reply!

The Fords are definitely do-able price wise especially as we'd pick up a used version. There's an Audi dealership at the station I get off at and I'd also thought about an A4(?) which looked very compact.

I guess I'm in for an effort over the next few months to slowly change her mind. I'd shown her the Focus Estate before and she'd baulked at the size.

Cheers.
Not sure what ya mean by separated. Will the dog be in a cage? Otherwise you'd probably want something with 3 rows like a minivan or suv. Don't forget about luggage (especially newborn babies need a ton of shit).

Isn't the next gen mustang gonna be way lighter? Might wanna wait for that.

ascii42

What is the general consensus on the 2013 Mustang? I had a used 1994 Mustang years ago, loved it (If you had one you know those seats were amazing), and would like to get back into one. I plan on test driving one as well as a Camaro, Genesis Coupe, and possibly a Challenger to see how each feels. But my heart is kind of set on the Mustang. As of right now I drive a 2002 Toyota Solara which has been a great vehicle for my commuting back and forth to school. Yes, this will be a college graduation gift. I'm single, male, and 28 to give a bit of background of me

I've only driven the Camaro and Challenger. The Camaro is fun, but as a car to own, I'd rather have the Challenger. But between those cars, so much of it is just personal preference and emotion. Definitely test drive them all just in case, but odds are your first instinct is correct and you'll be happiest with the Mustang.

Isn't the next gen mustang gonna be way lighter? Might wanna wait for that.

Same with the Camaro, but the new Mustang's a year off, and the next Camaro probably two years.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

The base model is kind of garbage and a lot of the higher end versions are pretty good. I rented a base edition and it was warm shit, and then rented a GT and it was hot shit.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Mustang GT with Recaros looks nice and can be had for $32kish.

But it still can't make up for that interior :(

slider

Not sure what ya mean by separated. Will the dog be in a cage? Otherwise you'd probably want something with 3 rows like a minivan or suv. Don't forget about luggage (especially newborn babies need a ton of shit).

Yeah, he'll be in a cage. The SUV/minivan option isn't a goer unfortunately.

The issue isn't about how a car drives or even mpg I guess. It's all about the ability to keep the dog and baby separate.

I guess I'll just keep my eyes open when I'm out!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Alright, so it's looking like this weekend I might be picking up one of these two cars.

Both are nearby so I'm going to drive them both and see how it goes. I particularly love the interior color on the Audi (the BMW is just black leather). Thoughts?

Both are 2010 models with low mileage. Neither are 4 wheel drive, however, so I suppose it's front wheel on the Audi and rear drive on the BMW (super uncommon here in France, I'm finding)

70n.jpg

80n.jpg

N-Bomb

wow... I'm an idiot. Didn't know 'automatic with manual' cars allow you to shift gears with the shifter too and not just paddle shifters.

Interesting.

This is most likely an automatic that lets you pretend like it cares what you think. Stick with a real manual.

I just wanted to brag that I paid off my STI.

It's going to be driven until it rusts away. No more stomach for car payments.

As it should be! Congrats, bruddah! Mine's going into the shop this summer to get funnerized.

What say you about me just buying a Neon SRT-4 for $9k and saving $2k? I hear it's the fastest car you can get under $15k..but why do they get such a bad rep??? Is it their low resale value?

I will reccomend a Bugeye WRX (not STi) for you.

Is there any decent car that can be bought for $1400? I had an accident last year but I had no collision so I lost my car and my dad has loaned me $1400, and it's all I have. I've been looking on craigslist and everything is pretty bad.

Plug $1400 into autotrader and see what most appeals to you. Then just try to find the least rusty one that doesn't make many bad noises.

No, that's very fortunate! I actually think an estate would be perfect, but failing that, you might want a Vauxhall Astra or something of that kind?

asdad123

So depending how this summer goes, I might need trade in my car for a SUV. I might need a car that is higher off the ground than what I have now.

Currently I have a 2011 Kia Optima EX with 12,100 miles. It'll be two years old this July. It is paid off and hopefully I could get a trade in of 17,000 which I think is very reasonable as I see the base models with 20k miles selling for 19-20k used.

Any recommendations on SUVs? Ill probably throw another 5,000 down because I'm hoping on keeping my payment low so I only really want to take a loan out of about $10,000. Would like to keep the cost of thencarbunder 30k.

I don't have any preferences on new/used or company. As long as it is reliable and has a warranty.

reilo

Do you truly want or need a SUV? I find wagons to be more practical, cheaper, and economical, with almost all of the same benefits.

Maybe a new Subaru Forrester or Outback? Or used Audi A4 Allroad?

slider

No, that's very fortunate! I actually think an estate would be perfect, but failing that, you might want a Vauxhall Astra or something of that kind?

I just image searched an Astra and, gosh, there is an estate version. But do you think the hatchback is big enough for the pooch?

I'll stop asking I guess. Got a few ideas but the real test will be checking these vehicles out IRL and to convince my wife she can manage them (she can!) and to see whether they're big enough for the dog.

Cheers!

Flo_Evans

I am really thinking of getting a BRZ... I know a few people here have bought them, any updated reports?

I also hear internet rumors that they are going to make an STI version "soon" This sort or sounds like wishful thinking but I would definitely want more power if available (maintaing factory warranty!)

The issue isn't about how a car drives or even mpg I guess. It's all about the ability to keep the dog and baby separate.

I guess I'll just keep my eyes open when I'm out!
If there is a cage wouldn't any 5 sweater vehicle be fine? Well I guess it depends on the size of the dog cage. Can it fit in a passenger seat?

Or just post pics of the puppy :)

Now that I pretty much figured out my daily commute, I don't really encounter much traffic if I leave a bit earlier. Maybe I will get a manual.

Thinking about miata or gt86 but any other small sporty cars that I should look at at the under 30k price point?

Are mini coopers any fun? All I know about them is the giant speedometer and my friend is always complaining about his having problems.

asdad123

Do you truly want or need a SUV? I find wagons to be more practical, cheaper, and economical, with almost all of the same benefits.

To be honest, that would be fine too. Just looking at all my options. Just gonna need something higher off the ground and larger. Ill be going to various construction sites and my current car is pretty low tht the underside gets scraped going up some driveways. Don't want the whole underbody to get completely messed up by rocks,Etc.

slider

If there is a cage wouldn't any 5 sweater vehicle be fine? Well I guess it depends on the size of the dog cage. Can it fit in a passenger seat?

Heh, I'll see if there's a photo on my computer.

He's a 34kg Weimaraner so I guess we could get him onto a seat, cage and all, but it'd be a very tight squeeze. Because he's so high energy I'd prefer a bigger separation too (I'm better with him than my wife).

EDIT...

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I really like the Subaru Crosstek but the engine is pretty weak and the suspension a little too soft. Excellent ground clearance and looks really nice. Test drove one for the hell of it last week.

sca2511

Now that I pretty much figured out my daily commute, I don't really encounter much traffic if I leave a bit earlier. Maybe I will get a manual.

Thinking about miata or gt86 but any other small sporty cars that I should look at at the under 30k price point?

Are mini coopers any fun? All I know about them is the giant speedometer and my friend is always complaining about his having problems.

Have you considered a GTI? I'd like to get a Miata in the future, but no dual clutch.

N-Bomb

Agreed @ Outback or a Crosstrek.

I am really thinking of getting a BRZ... I know a few people here have bought them, any updated reports?

I also hear internet rumors that they are going to make an STI version "soon" This sort or sounds like wishful thinking but I would definitely want more power if available (maintaing factory warranty!)

Join BRZgaf! On the other hand, if they do come out with an STi version - modding potential!! :D

koryuken

Hi guys, I would love some advice.

We are in the process of purchasing a car for my wife and our budget is 30k. My wife wants a smaller car, but one that is comfortable and safe. We are looking in the luxury segment, ~2 years used with low miles.

Here are our current choices:

Audi A3: Nice car, still need to test drive.
+Can get one with low miles for 22-23k, we will have more cash in the bank.
+Good engine with turbo.
-Front Wheel Drive.
-Poor gas mileage.
http://0.tqn.com/d/cars/1/0/s/b/2/la11_a3etron.JPG

Lexus IS250: Nice car, still need to test drive.
+Can get one with low miles for 22-23k, we will have more cash in the bank.
+Rear wheel drive.
-Not visually appealing to us, a bit bland.
-Ok gas mileage.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/03/03-lexus-is250-awd.jpg

Lexus 200H: Test drove and loved it. Our top choice.
+Looks great drives great. Will save us money in long term b/c its hybrid. (We love the looks and the storage space!)
+Great gas mileage.
-Cheapest we can find this car is 28k, so this is the biggest dent to our savings.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/00/Lexus_CT_200h_Geneva.jpg

Can any gaffers who own/have experience with these cars give some input? Are there any cars in this segment that we should also look at?

Thanks in advance!

Have you considered a GTI? I'd like to get a Miata in the future, but no dual clutch.

Never was a fan of how it looked. Speaking of which, how are focus ST's? I know reviews love them.

biggest problem i have with miata's is the trunk space. Can't fit the kind of suitcase I use.

Flo_Evans

Join BRZgaf! On the other hand, if they do come out with an STi version - modding potential!! :D

It's really tempting. I bought a CX-7 AWD turbo last year to for family trips but now the wife is using that an I switched to her old car... a ragged out Nissan Altima.

My dilemma is that it runs fine, it could use some new shocks but its all paid for.

I am also really tempted to get a new ducati monster... I really miss my old one and for half the price of any decent sports car it will go 2x as fast :)

Enron

Banned

minis are fun to drive - i drove one a couple times. Don't know that I'd buy one.

for under 30k, you can add Zs to that list. If you were really brave, there's RX-8s as well.

You can also get several entry level luxury sedan/coupes for that price range used as well if that's your sort of thing.

black_13

Banned
Helped my parents choose an SUV finally and they got a 2012 Audi Q5 S-line with 20k and 4 years warranty left. I think it's almost fully loaded. White on Black.

And daaaamn is it nice. The Dynamic mode really changes the feel of the car while on Auto or Comfort mode its smooth as an SUV can be.

Ended up waaaay cheaper than an FX37 of similiar condition, and they liked the interior of the GLK350 alot but the exterior wasn't as good.

Tried them to get an A4 or A6 but they really wanted to try an SUV for the first time.

reilo

To be honest, that would be fine too. Just looking at all my options. Just gonna need something higher off the ground and larger. Ill be going to various construction sites and my current car is pretty low tht the underside gets scraped going up some driveways. Don't want the whole underbody to get completely messed up by rocks,Etc.

Check those cars out then. They're all within your budget. The Subies start around $22k brand new iirc, and they are meant for offroading.

Stinkles

It's really tempting. I bought a CX-7 AWD turbo last year to for family trips but now the wife is using that an I switched to her old car... a ragged out Nissan Altima.

My dilemma is that it runs fine, it could use some new shocks but its all paid for.

I am also really tempted to get a new ducati monster... I really miss my old one and for half the price of any decent sports car it will go 2x as fast :)

my man.

RuGalz

Looking at cars a bit last night, didn't realize BMW Z4 has 4 cylinder version now... Price is a bit over what I'd like to spend but is there any reason to consider a ~40k used Z4 (~10k miles) over a brand new BRZ?

reilo

If you're already contemplating a Z4 over a BRZ, then you should just do the right thing and buy a brand new MX-5.

Stinkles

Looking at cars a bit last night, didn't realize BMW Z4 has 4 cylinder version now... Price is a bit over what I'd like to spend but is there any reason to consider a ~40k used Z4 (~10k miles) over a brand new BRZ?

Well it's a lot faster and more luxurious?

RuGalz

BRZ and Z4 are commuter cars?

BRZ seems to be same mileage as my current Celica at least on paper. the Z4 (4 cylinder version) is not too far off. I get about 32MPG on my current car that's about where I consider one to be a commuter car.

reilo

I didn't realize MPG was the only criteria for a "commuter car".

You'd have to ask yourself if spending the extra $5-15k+ for a used car is worth the 3MPG more over the brand new car with astounding reliability.

bcl0328

I didn't realize MPG was the only criteria for a "commuter car".

You'd have to ask yourself if spending the extra $5-15k+ for a used car is worth the 3MPG more over the brand new car with astounding reliability.

Well for a long commute I'd say MPG is my #1 concern. After that, leg room, luxuries, 4-door, automatic. What else?

reilo

Well that's certainly different than what you said before. Being luxurious is not a good indicator of a car being a "commuter" car. Luxury != comfort.

Also, the Z4 gets 32-34MPG (highway), not 36MPG from what I can find. Where did you read 36?

bcl0328

Well that's certainly different than what you said before. Being luxurious is not a good indicator of a car being a "commuter" car. Luxury != comfort.

Also, the Z4 gets 32-34MPG (highway), not 36MPG from what I can find. Where did you read 36?

I would say luxury has a lot of comfort. For example, leather heated seats are a god send on long commutes. As well as many other features.

As for the 36MPG, that is what I get in my 328i with the same engine as the Z4. The Z4 is a smaller car so I assume it would do better.

reilo

My car has heated leather seats and it's not a luxury car. Ride quality is far more important than amenities, and that's not something exclusive to luxury vehicles.

Also, the Z4 actually weighs about the same as a 328i and they both are rated around 32-34MPG.

From my test drive mx5 seems good for daily compute. Well depends on your size. Suspension isn't too stiff either.

Also unlead fuel. Don't believe z4 or brz use unlead.

Next years miata is suppose to save more fuel too with their sky miles tech or what it's called.

bcl0328

My car has heated leather seats and it's not a luxury car. Ride quality is far more important than amenities, and that's not something exclusive to luxury vehicles.

Also, the Z4 actually weighs about the same as a 328i and they both are rated around 32-34MPG.

Well not all comfortable cars are luxury cars, but what luxury car isn't comfortable? Every BMW I've been in has nice ride quality.

Doesn't matter what it's rated at, this is real world driving on the highway.

I think a softtop for a commuter is silly. I also think buying a BMW with an auto gearbox is silly.

Have you tried the DCT or ZF 8 speed? Shifts a lot faster than manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom