• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

negitoro7

good stuff. Was just at a mazda dealer today for that free card, saw the new 6. Great looking car.

Drove around in a 2013 miata automatic. snappy car.... and runs on cheap fuel! Might get a used one :p

For some reason, I was always under the impression that the NC Miata runs on premium unleaded.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Finally saw a tesla model S on the road. What a sexy machine. I want one.

They are common as dirt in Seattle. There are literally two in our parking lot.

Dat logo. Shudder. But I love everything else about the looks. When you see the dash with the lights out it looks awkward though.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Christ on a cracker is a Toyota Yaris a piece of shit. I got one as a rental while my car is in the shop, and I cannot fathom how this thing ever made it into production. I can't believe this heap of dog shit has a MSRP of $15k. I did a quick local search, and 2010 models with 42k miles (!!) go for $15k USED!

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?paId=509618228&searchType=94&tracktype=usedcc

What the fuck? Who buys these turds?

Stinkles

Christ on a cracker is a Toyota Yaris a piece of shit. I got one as a rental while my car is in the shop, and I cannot fathom how this thing ever made it into production. I can't believe this heap of dog shit has a MSRP of $15k. I did a quick local search, and 2010 models with 42k miles (!!) go for $15k USED!

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?paId=509618228&searchType=94&tracktype=usedcc

People with an unnatural trust of new and Japanese cars. There's a point where it's a false economy. And a 15k used Yaris is that point. You could buy a used Beemer for that, in decent condition.

I had the same reaction to a baseline Fiat 500. It was cute but utterly hopeless at being a real car.

reilo

Used BMW? How about a new Mazda3 which is hundredfold the car that the Yaris could ever dream of being? I just don't understand how someone makes such a terrible buying choice. Kudos to Toyota for tapping into a market that will buy any turd thrown at them.

$15k used. Christ.

Think about it this way... Toyota issued a recalled for 1.3 million Yarises worldwide... in 2011.

The Yaris is Toyota's best-selling core model in Europe, with more than 2.5 million units sold.

I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND

TransTrender

Gold Member

Dude, I have no idea how Toyota does it.

For the last two weeks at work people were coming in from out of town during the week, and then fly home for the weekend.

For the past two weeks they had two different rental cars.

Last week was a 2012 Toyota Corolla S. Holy shit, what a piece of trash.
This is basically the same Corolla they have been selling since 2000. It's a terrible, ugly, loud, barren, slow, and uncomfortable monster.

This week is a 2012 Ford Focus SE (sedan). Wow, this is an amazing car, and especially because it cost the same as a Corolla S. In every category the Focus is vastly superior than the Corolla. I was extremely impressed by the Focus interior, power, and driving mechanics when compared to previous generations, and compared to any previous generation compact car.

Similar experiences when I rented some cars for work.

Hyundai Elantra (sedan): Extremely impressed. A bit bigger than the Focus (I think) but I liked the build of the Ford better. Basically better than any compact from Toyota, Honda, or Chevy.

Ford Taurus SEL: As far as I can tell it's better in every category (maybe not interior space) than my friend's 2012 Lexus ES.

Stinkles

Dude, I have no idea how Toyota does it.

For the last two weeks at work people were coming in from out of town during the week, and then fly home for the weekend.

For the past two weeks they had two different rental cars.

Last week was a 2012 Toyota Corolla S. Holy shit, what a piece of trash.
This is basically the same Corolla they have been selling since 2000. It's a terrible, ugly, loud, barren, slow, and uncomfortable monster.

This week is a 2012 Ford Focus SE (sedan). Wow, this is an amazing car, and especially because it cost the same as a Corolla S. In every category the Focus is vastly superior than the Corolla. I was extremely impressed by the Focus interior, power, and driving mechanics when compared to previous generations, and compared to any previous generation compact car.

Similar experiences when I rented some cars for work.

Hyundai Elantra (sedan): Extremely impressed. A bit bigger than the Focus (I think) but I liked the build of the Ford better. Basically better than any compact from Toyota, Honda, or Chevy.

Ford Taurus SEL: As far as I can tell it's better in every category (maybe not interior space) than my friend's 2012 Lexus ES.

Honda Fit is an exception to that rule.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Hahahah Christ on a cracker.

Anyways, people are morons. They buy the car because it's tiny, has a small motor, and fuel efficient. A Prius is double the cost, with a minimal increase in fuel efficiency...and hybrid technology still confuses the average Toyota consumer and scares them away, so they save some coin and buy themselves a heap of shit.

Oh and nevermind that people who typically own Toyotas are actually less likely to shop around, as well. Their brand loyalty is sky high, because their customers are spectacularly old and can't give two fucks about what a car is or does.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Me and the gf bought a 2005 Toyota Echo 2 door hatchback and love it. It's perfect for the city, great on gas and reliable. Paid $4500 with 109km on it.

Love driving that little go kart around:)

reilo

Me and the gf bought a 2004 Toyota Echo 2 door hatchback and love it. It's perfect for the city, great on gas and reliable. Paid $4500 with 109km on it.

Love driving that little go kart around:)
$4500 for a 65k mile car is perfectly reasonable. But you still own an Echo :lol.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Honda Fit is an exception to that rule.

Indeed.
Got into one of those, interior was better than regular for Honda, but the driving mechanics were astounding considering Honda's track record the past few years. It was refreshing. However, the pricing wasn't.

Palabrah

I'm stuck right now in a decision of a mid-sized sedan. At 6'4" height my options start to become limited on compacts and whatnot unless you have ideas? $22k is my budget.

reilo

I'm stuck right now in a decision of a mid-sized sedan. At 6'4" height my options start to become limited on compacts and whatnot unless you have ideas? $22k is my budget.

I'm 6'4 and it's not that big of an issue... I fit perfectly in a Mazda3, Focus and Mini Cooper. Impreza/WRX? Not so much. Despite how shit I think the Yaris is, I fit okay -- probably due to its extremely bulbous roof.

Best advice when it comes to buying cars? Test drive them. Hell, you if you don't fit, don't even bother test driving.

Also, pretty sure you can get the new Mazda6 for $22k. Plenty of room. Hell, you can even get a Mazdaspeed3 or a Hyundai Genesis Coupe around that money if you want to go that route.

Akira

Just saw the interior of the Infiniti Q50 and its awesome dual touch screens. That must be the best interior in its class? When does this thing hit?

N-Bomb

As an Audi owner myself, I've confused one of the newer Passats in a parking lot with my A4 because the styling has gotten so similar. It's fantastic for people in general, but people who only define themselves through some materialistic sense must be pretty irate when a Taurus has the same tech as their $100,000 7 Series (As the article points out).

Remember the Phaeton? If I needed a luxoboat right now, I'd probably grab one of those. It's pretty much an Audi A8, no?

Edit: I also think that it's easier to go upmarket and be considered 'alright', whereas going inexpensive can hurt your prestige no matter how well you do it.

Remember the Phaeton? If I needed a luxoboat right now, I'd probably grab one of those. It's pretty much an Audi A8, no?

Edit: I also think that it's easier to go upmarket and be considered 'alright', whereas going inexpensive can hurt your prestige no matter how well you do it.

Overall interior quality and engine power seem to be the only real differentiating factors. I definitely agree that it's easier to offer an upmarket car. At worst, people will say you tried to offer them a bargain, at best it'll be impressive and well received.

Jaguar for example has always seemed to me like a half-step up from its German counterparts, but now that they're working on a 3-Series fighter, and the fact that a $47,000+ base XF comes with a 2.0.L I4 has definitely knocked them down the prestige ladder.

Being a shorty 5 6 does have its benefits for cars.

People can actually fit in the rear seats of coupes when I drive!

Speaking of Mazda there minivan is quite impressive for a minivan in terms of 'feel'. Do they have bad history or something that makes them not sell as well as the town country?

Stinkles

This is the closest one to Seattle. :-(

http://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars...731/volkswagen/phaeton?source=UsedCarListings

But I agree. I would strip the brightwork and make it supastealth.

Stasis

Random question... can anyone tell me what the blue hatchback in this pic is? Mainly I just like the wheels but I have no idea what it is and I'm curious.

bzu88zv.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Random question... can anyone tell me what the blue hatchback in this pic is? Mainly I just like the wheels but I have no idea what it is and I'm curious.

Citroen. Logo is pretty easy to see. :p

French car you won't find in many parts of the world.

I need auto gaf once again.

I have two cars I can get potentially.

One is an '04 MR2-Spyder w/ a LSD and a ragtop. 82K miles, and the body is rust free, and the engine is all stock. Flowmaster exhaust is the only perf mod. It has some neat cosmetic mods, I personally like them.

the other is a '03 AP1 s2000 w/ 100K Miles. This car is bone stock, though does have some minor dents in the door panel.

I have wanted an MR2-s for a while, but having owned as S2K (an AP2 for a bit) I really enjoyed it, but it was too much as a main car. I have something more livable, but after selling my motorcycle, I am able to afford getting an older roadster to have instead of a bike.

Obvious pluses are that the MR2 is mid engine, and gets great gas mileage for leisurely trips.
They both are higher mileage of course.
The s2k has the performance edge for sure, and is much more practical, since I can actually take it places.

anyone that has driven both have any opinions?

RuGalz

I've had my 2000 Celica GTS since mid 1999. It is getting to the point where it's probably going to need some major work soon, and the repair cost just doesn't seem worth it. I'm hoping it will last another couple years without having to go into repairs partly because I want better smartphone integration (such as miracast) and rear camera to become more standard feature. I know I can get aftermarket stuff which would be cheaper but it's my experience that build in Bluetooth don't seem to have as good of noise cancellation as the factory installed units? Maybe it's just not as well placed with aftermarket installation that I have seen so far.

Anyhow, I don't really pay attention to cars *that* much so I want to see some ideas/suggestions on what to replace it with (current or future). I want something fun and still practical for day to day use. I've considered the BRZ, although I haven't test drove one yet, I wish the trunk was a bit larger.

So here are some (semi-flexible) requirements:
* 30+mpg on highway
* cost ~30k (new)
* prefer manual transmission. I know there's good dual clutch designs for auto+manual transmission but I assume the price range is too high

I've never dealt with used cars so I'm not sure what to look for or consider, but I'd consider those too.

Sailor

Ok, so the deal with the S2000 didn't go through :( Here's my dilemma GAF. I currently own a 2004 Mustang GT. I can sell it for hopefully around $11k and throw on another $5k to that to buy another car (looking for a faster, funner car). I originally wanted to get a S2k/350z but seeing as how they only have 2 seats I feel that would be very impractical. Especially for a recent college grad.

What say you about me just buying a Neon SRT-4 for $9k and saving $2k? I hear it's the fastest car you can get under $15k..but why do they get such a bad rep??? Is it their low resale value?

koryuken

Ok, so the deal with the S2000 didn't go through :( Here's my dilemma GAF. I currently own a 2004 Mustang GT. I can sell it for hopefully around $11k and throw on another $5k to that to buy another car (looking for a faster, funner car). I originally wanted to get a S2k/350z but seeing as how they only have 2 seats I feel that would be very impractical. Especially for a recent college grad.

What say you about me just buying a Neon SRT-4 for $9k and saving $2k? I hear it's the fastest car you can get under $15k..but why do they get such a bad rep??? Is it their low resale value?

From someone who's been there and done that - is speed really the most important thing?

J-Rzez

but why do they get such a bad rep???

Torque steer, under steer monsters, lack of traction especially when modded (why so many SRT-4 neon owners prowl the interstate for "races"). Interior and exterior is rubbish. Sound great though, and can make good power if dyno racing is your thing.

ascii42

wow... I'm an idiot. Didn't know 'automatic with manual' cars allow you to shift gears with the shifter too and not just paddle shifters.

Interesting.

Depends on the car. My Malibu just has paddle shifters. You move the floor shifter into "M" to be able to use them. I've driven a Cadillac ATS that didn't have paddle shifters, but you moved the shifter over to where you could upshift/downshift. And some cars offer both.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

The first bold part answers the second.

Actually first gen Neons, at least, were kick ass little autocrossers, especially the R/T model. The SRT-4 was a cool car too, but it just had too much power for the chassis (they sound awesome though).

All of them are plasticky and cheap, unfortunately.

mooooose

Is there any decent car that can be bought for $1400? I had an accident last year but I had no collision so I lost my car and my dad has loaned me $1400, and it's all I have. I've been looking on craigslist and everything is pretty bad.

Is there any decent car that can be bought for $1400? I had an accident last year but I had no collision so I lost my car and my dad has loaned me $1400, and it's all I have. I've been looking on craigslist and everything is pretty bad.

Enjoy your mid-90s domestic sedan with an okay interior.

Bonus Option: E30 BMW ready to explode!

ascii42

Geo/Chevy Prizms might be in that range now. They are rebadged Toyota Corollas, but tend to sell for cheaper because of the domestic branding. Probably your most reliable option.

Other than that? Pretty much what Dave said. Mid-90s domestic.

Geo/Chevy Prizms might be in that range now. They are rebadged Toyota Corollas, but tend to sell for cheaper because of the domestic branding. Probably your most reliable option.

Other than that? Pretty much what Dave said. Mid-90s domestic.

Currently drive a 97 prizm. Reliable as balls. could use some umph though. I also hate how it looks :(

main reason why i wanna ditch it lol.

Palabrah

so what are you guys thoughts on the 2013 ford focus sedan?

also, just a general question because people keep trying to steer me clear from used cars.. is 60,000 miles really that bad? I know it varies for car to car but say for a 2007 BMW or something nice? I feel like i can get a decent car used that will have all the luxury and feel that i really actually want.

I want an audi.

coldfoot

Banned
so what are you guys thoughts on the 2013 ford focus sedan?

also, just a general question because people keep trying to steer me clear from used cars.. is 60,000 miles really that bad? I know it varies for car to car but say for a 2007 BMW or something nice? I feel like i can get a decent car used that will have all the luxury and feel that i really actually want.

I want an audi.

A BMW/Audi/Merc with 60K is bad, because they're expensive luxury cars with many things that can go wrong, and most likely cheaply maintained in the case of Audi.

A Honda/Toyota with 60K is fine to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom