• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Bomb

From my test drive mx5 seems good for daily compute. Well depends on your size. Suspension isn't too stiff either.

Also unlead fuel. Don't believe z4 or brz use unlead.

Next years miata is suppose to save more fuel too with their sky miles tech or what it's called.

Huh. Where do you even find leaded fuel these days? You mean regular vs. premium?

Also, time for all of us with cars older than 3 years to break out the Seafoam and smoke up the neighbourhood!!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
FxXvXOa.jpg

1000 miles of road awaits.

Those are microfiber cloths and layers of painters masking tape. Also have the bottom lip covered up too.

Rad Agast

I am really thinking of getting a BRZ... I know a few people here have bought them, any updated reports?

I also hear internet rumors that they are going to make an STI version "soon" This sort or sounds like wishful thinking but I would definitely want more power if available (maintaing factory warranty!)

I've had mine since July and it's only getting better after getting more miles on it (still under 10 000).

Regarding the STi model, Subaru showed a concept last year and you can order some parts from Japan but nothing official yet regarding 2014. With the new WRX and STi coming out later for 2014, I have doubts regarding a turbo charged BRZ for next year.

Toyota will most likely release the convertible 86 sometime this summer so maybe wait a couple of months and see what happens.

There so much extra crap you can get for cars now, whats actually worth the money, or at least is useful?

In my brain keyless entry/start sounds pointless. Nav systems are inferior to apps on the phone, and my experience with heated seats always sucked (like sitting on a hot plate, but I assume its better on rich cars). The stuff that sounds useful for me are usb charging/music and blutooth, but thats like standard on most cars.

AlphaSnake

And all that effort will go to waste when your windshield cracks due to a stone chip :)

I'm not sure how to respond to this.

It didn't even take me that long to do this. And it'll still prevent tons and tons rock chips on the front, as well as bug splats.

Rad Agast

There so much extra crap you can get for cars now, whats actually worth the money, or at least is useful?

In my brain keyless entry/start sounds pointless. Nav systems are inferior to apps on the phone, and my experience with heated seats always sucked (like sitting on a hot plate, but I assume its better on rich cars). The stuff that sounds useful for me are usb charging/music and blutooth, but thats like standard on most cars.

I don't know. I'm so used to keyless entry and find it convenient.

As to navigation, I hope to see some synching between the car and my smartphone when I switch to driving mode so that the car screen clones my phone's.

I'm not sure how to respond to this.

It didn't even take me that long to do this. And it'll still prevent tons and tons rock chips on the front, as well as bug splats.

Why didn't you just use a clear protection layer (3M or some other brand)? Just wondering.

AlphaSnake

As to navigation, I hope to see some synching between the car and my smartphone when I switch to driving mode so that the car screen clones my phone's.

Why didn't you just use a clear protection layer (3M or some other brand)? Just wondering.

I don't like clear-bras. They quickly begin to develop swirl marks no matter the brand you use.

Rad Agast

I don't like clear-bras. They quickly begin to develop swirl marks no matter the brand you use.

Swirl marks on the clear film yes? Why would it bother you too much? Over here they guarantee them for 5 years so the shop will replace/fix anything which might go wrong with it.

FxXvXOa.jpg

Those are microfiber cloths and layers of painters masking tape. Also have the bottom lip covered up too.

Dude it's just a car.

Actually my favorite picture of my old 911 was the day I bought it at the end if a 700 mile trip; the front end was covered in dead bugs and it looked like happy to have been driven.

ascii42

My mom's Chevy Spark is supposed to have some ability to use the phone's navigation instead of having a built-in system. Really good idea if that's the case.

N-Bomb

FxXvXOa.jpg

I don't have the heart.

Keyless is useless. Nav is useless (use your phone), heated seats are useless (your ass warms it up quick enough, avoid leather. It's for saddles.)

All things I made sure my current car didn't come with. Ditto for sunroofs (get a convertable), dual-zone climate control, back up cameras...

But maybe I'm just an old fart. I'm trying to go back to crank windows. I DO like power locks, however, and I'm loving bluetooth for handsfree calling.

Chibits12

Banned
FxXvXOa.jpg

I've had a couple of friends that go to shows in Carlisle doing that to their cars. I guess the whole idea is to avoid dirt and stone chips to give it a more pristine look before the show.

Watevaman

I can see why you'd do that, but I also think that if you're doing it right there you might as well do it all the time. Chips and bug splats will happen whenever be it on a trip to another state or a trip to the store, so what's the point of doing that just because of a long journey?

AlphaSnake

I can see why you'd do that, but I also think that if you're doing it right there you might as well do it all the time. Chips and bug splats will happen whenever be it on a trip to another state or a trip to the store, so what's the point of doing that just because of a long journey?

1000 miles of a bugs and dirt and even rocks for 16 hours of continuous driving is a whole lot different than a 5 minute drive or even a 30 minute drive. This is very commonly done by people who transport cars back and forth.

1000 miles of a bugs and dirt and even rocks for 16 hours of continuous driving is a whole lot different than a 5 minute drive or even a 30 minute drive. This is very commonly done by people who transport cars back and forth.

It's not really different, it's just that you build up all that garbage in one day so the difference between start and finish really gets your attention. Just bugs, though. I'm sure you wax your car so they'll come off pretty easily.

AlphaSnake

It's not really different, it's just that you build up all that garbage in one day so the difference between start and finish really gets your attention. Just bugs, though. I'm sure you wax your car so they'll come off pretty easily.

Yep, I do. You'd be surprised how shitty Nissan's paint is, so I can't take chances. My old 350Z was PITTED from bug impacts after I took a 250 mile drive in it one day - I'd wipe the car down and see a pit in place of where the bug had splattered. Some of these bugs are monsters. Hahaha.

Yep, I do. You'd be surprised how shitty Nissan's paint is, so I can't take chances. My old 350Z was PITTED from bug impacts after I took a 250 mile drive in it one day - I'd wipe the car down and see a pit in place of where the bug had splattered. Some of these bugs are monsters. Hahaha.

Oh yeah Florida bugs, nm proceed! lol

Maybe you guys can chime in on this topic; Pay in full or overtime?

Isn't it better to pay the car over time (if it 0% APR) vs just paying it outright?
It pads my credit score/I can have that money incase of emergency.

My wife say she doesn't want to deal with a monthly payment hanging over our heads.

ascii42

Isn't it better to pay the car over time (if it 0% APR) vs just paying it outright?

My wife say she doesn't want to deal with a monthly payment hanging over our heads.

As long as the interest rate is less than the interest you could earn by saving the money, it's financially beneficial to get the loan, not even including benefits to your credit score.

Totally understand not wanting to deal with a monthly payment. I paid off my loan on my Malibu half way through it because of that. What I decided to do was to kick my 401k contributions up to match the fact that I wouldn't have to spend that money on a car payment.

As long as the interest rate is less than the interest you could earn by saving the money, it's financially beneficial to get the loan, not even including benefits to your credit score.

Totally understand not wanting to deal with a monthly payment. I paid off my loan on my Malibu half way through it because of that. What I decided to do was to kick my 401k contributions up to match the fact that I wouldn't have to spend that money on a car payment.

I did the same with my Mazda3. Paid the rest of it in full after the 2nd year of the loan (0% apr). Then I put the monthly payment into my ROTH IRA. Ballin'! This also was the point where I realized I felt like an adult. The year before that I almost traded my Mazda for an S4.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I have a friend who did this with his very large mortgage. His accountant told him to keep the mortgage and use the complex tax benefits to shelter blah blah blah. But he missed one mortgage payment because he is a bit sloppy and got mad at the "mean" letter and paid the whole thing off the next month.

AlphaSnake

How are Zs for a commuter anyways? Do you hate life on shitty condition roads?

I can't complain one bit - unlike my 350Z which was way too rough and unrefined.

My car is quite modded and it's slammed to the ground, yet despite that it rides smoother and softer than my buddy's Lexus CT200h and his mom's Benz C300, which even he is in disbelief of. On a stock suspension it's even smoother than that. And I have 19'' wheels with a very low profile tire and 285 rears. But yeah, it doesn't crash no matter the setup - it's suspension is immensely refined and sophisticated.

It's also fairly fuel efficient, high 20s on the highway with ease.

AlphaSnake

Z's on poorly conditioned roads? Sucks. Potholes and cobblestone roads will make you cringe.

My Z lived in NYC for 2 years and 6 months. :p

It's comfortable over the shitty roads, it's just the car is low and scraping was the major scare.

bcl0328

In my experience most people will not buy a used car without things like navigation and a few other options. In my 328i the nav is integrated into a HUD on the windshield so I never have to take my eyes off the road. I didn't like it at first but now I would never go without. As for heated seats, they are so amazing on those cold winter days or long trips. Just turn them down a little.

N-Bomb

I can't complain one bit - unlike my 350Z which was way too rough and unrefined.

My car is quite modded and it's slammed to the ground, yet despite that it rides smoother and softer than my buddy's Lexus CT200h and his mom's Benz C300, which even he is in disbelief of. On a stock suspension it's even smoother than that. And I have 19'' wheels with a very low profile tire and 285 rears. But yeah, it doesn't crash no matter the setup - it's suspension is immensely refined and sophisticated.

It's also fairly fuel efficient, high 20s on the highway with ease.

I do not think it means what you think it means.

AlphaSnake

I do not think it means what you think it means.

You're telling me and a bunch of writers, presenters, and journalists all across the world that use it exactly how I just did...that they've been using it all wrong this whole time!? BAHGOD

It means exactly how I used it.

The 350Z's suspension crashed practically all the time. It was harsh and Nissan didn't devote enough time and money to make it ride well and handle great. The 370Z would later prove how unrefined it was.

The 370Z took what the 350Z had and refined it all, getting rid of its crudeness and harshness.

That's the very fucking text book definition of refining something hahaha. It's taking something 'crude and removing its impurities.'

We're not talking alcohol or minerals, the words can be used to describe other things.

So... I should not look at old 350z's if I'm looking for something for daily commute.

heated seats... I can see their use in the north. Don't have many super cold days here in GA.

AlphaSnake

And we're done. No, none of the packaging tape is touching the paint, it's just there to hold down the masking tape from peeling and flailing around.

IvlR1Cj.jpg

It's not pretty, but it'll get the job done and it'll come off in one pull when I reach my house :)

AlphaSnake

So... I should not look at old 350z's if I'm looking for something for daily commute.

heated seats... I can see their use in the north. Don't have many super cold days here in GA.

Yeah, you'll be fine in GA. And yes, if you're looking for a comfortable ride, the 350Z will not suit your need. It's fine for the most part, especially if you live around decent roads (our southern roads aren't bad compared to the north east), but the 370Z is definitely much, much smoother over bad roads, bumps, and the like.

TommyT

Reminds me the day I bought my first car. From the lot I had to drive ~300 miles back to school. Ended up with bugs, chips, and whatnot. Can't say I wasn't a little upset; but I'll be damned if it wasn't the best ~300 miles of my life.

ruxtpin

Banned
Yeah, you'll be fine in GA. And yes, if you're looking for a comfortable ride, the 350Z will not suit your need. It's fine for the most part, especially if you live around decent roads (our southern roads aren't bad compared to the north east), but the 370Z is definitely much, much smoother over bad roads, bumps, and the like.

You driving thru GA down to FL?

Ash_69

How are Zs for a commuter anyways? Do you hate life on shitty condition roads?

I love my 350z and it's worth it for the smooth country roads and long motorway cruises but my honest opinion is if you commute daily on bad roads, it rides WAY too harsh. I changed all the tyres which helped somewhat (don't want to get into suspension modding) but it is plain uncomfortable on London's roads.

Luckily for me, it's a weekend car and i'll sacrifice the ride for now for those looks and that performance. On that note, are all sports coupes leagues below say, an a4 or a focus in terms of ride quality due to 'sporty' suspension that gives good feedback? I'd like to one day have one car as opposed to two that ticks all the boxes in terms of handling and comfort but not sure that's realistic after getting the 350.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom