• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Tomorrow its time to put the good old summer tyres on again. Yay! \o/

I never took my Michelin Super Sports off (admittedly I hardly drove the Z during the winter).

But what an astounding tire it is, once they're warmed up they immediately begin to grip and quiet down. The fact that Michelin designed it using two different compounds on the inside and outside patch is so awesome, yet it's the best performing high performance summer tire you can buy.

Now every exotic car is using them almost exclusively with the exception of a select few.

True story: Michelin designed the Super Sport exclusively for the Ferrari 458 (as Pilot Sport 2+) before mass producing the tire as Super Pilot Sport.

New York City to Central Florida (Windermere)

So, forgive my ignorance, but for the longest time I thought you lived in NYC, right? The Jag and Audi?

Are you moving to Florida? Where did the Z come from? Are all three heading down there with you? Will you be doing this two more times?

*so confused*

Tomorrow its time to put the good old summer tyres on again. Yay! \o/

Regarding tires in general, was it here that I read that Summer tires actually outperform all season tires in the rain?

I never took my Michelin Super Sports off (admittedly I hardly drove the Z during the winter).

But what an astounding tire it is, once they're warmed up they immediately begin to grip and quiet down. The fact that Michelin designed it using two different compounds on the inside and outside patch is so awesome, yet it's the best performing high performance summer tire you can buy.

Now every exotic car is using them almost exclusively with the exception of a select few.

True story: Michelin designed the Super Sport exclusively for the Ferrari 458 (as Pilot Sport 2+) before mass producing the tire as Super Pilot Sport.

The Star Spec Z2 is faster around a track, wont last as long, but its faster.

ruxtpin

Banned
New York City to Central Florida (Windermere)

If you're in Alpharetta, GA on Sunday morning you should stop by the Caffeine and Octane car show. =) Modeled after a California type of show, everyone just brings out their cars in a big parking lot. They've got a mess of everything. Aventador all the way down to a 72 Civic (which looked like a racing version).

Forsete

I'm looking forward to that.

Of course, it decided to snow here again today so I'll hold off until the end of the month most likely.

If it comes it melts pretty fast. So I am going for it.
My winter sets are unbalanced and I cant take it anymore. :p

Winter tires demanded by law here. :/

Regarding tires in general, was it here that I read that Summer tires actually outperform all season tires in the rain?

Yes.
All season are not as good as summer tires in the summer (rubber mixture too soft) nor as good as winter tires in the winter (rubber mixture too hard).

Everyone is better off with 2 sets.

If you're in Alpharetta, GA on Sunday morning you should stop by the Caffeine and Octane car show. =) Modeled after a California type of show, everyone just brings out their cars in a big parking lot. They've got a mess of everything. Aventador all the way down to a 72 Civic (which looked like a racing version).

huh. I live in Johns Creek, might stop and check if I got time.

speaking of which, seems like atlanta toyota is also doing the 'test drive get a $25 gift card' deal thing. Gonna go check out the fr-s.

test drove one at the ajc autoshow, but just circling around the congress center during lunch traffic wasn't really ideal.

Yep, I do. You'd be surprised how shitty Nissan's paint is, so I can't take chances. My old 350Z was PITTED from bug impacts after I took a 250 mile drive in it one day - I'd wipe the car down and see a pit in place of where the bug had splattered. Some of these bugs are monsters. Hahaha.

totally agree...

Hmm... I live in Austell, might come and check that out.

ascii42

That could be fun. I need to get the transmission looked at in my Olds, but maybe I could drive it up. Should take about two hours from where I am. I've been wanting to go to the IKEA in Atlanta anyway.

ruxtpin

Banned
I'll post the link once I'm back at a computer (or just Google "Caffeine and Octane Alpharetta"). Folks start showing up 7am round about in the parking lots. Last couple of times I got there at 8 (which they say is the start time), and ended up parking the Z next to some M3s since I couldn't be picky about a spot. Not that I mind M3s at all, just figured I'd find space next to the other 350/370s. Heh

ascii42

I'll post the link once I'm back at a computer (or just Google "Caffeine and Octane Alpharetta"). Folks start showing up 7am round about in the parking lots. Last couple of times I got there at 8 (which they say is the start time), and ended up parking the Z next to some M3s since I couldn't be picky about a spot. Not that I mind M3s at all, just figured I'd find space next to the other 350/370s. Heh

Here you go:
http://www.caffeineandoctane.com/

AlphaSnake

So, forgive my ignorance, but for the longest time I thought you lived in NYC, right? The Jag and Audi?

Are you moving to Florida? Where did the Z come from? Are all three heading down there with you? Will you be doing this two more times?

*so confused*

Correct, I lived in NYC. Bought a house in Florida and slowly have been moving stuff into it for the past month now. The Z I've always had. Then I got the Audi...then I got engaged and realized I don't like the Audi much anymore and that there are hardly Audi dealers in Florida.

So I decided to get my dream sedan, a rear-wheel drive Jaguar XF 5.0 last October. So I did, now that I'll be living in Florida I have no need for the Audi. I transfered the Audi's lease docs to my dad.

So the Z is being driven down first. I'll return to NYC in about 3 weeks and will load up the Jag and then drive that down later in May, which will be my last road trip.

Correct, I lived in NYC. Bought a house in Florida and slowly have been moving stuff into it for the past month now. The Z I've always had. Then I got the Audi...then I got engaged and realized I don't like the Audi much anymore and that there are hardly Audi dealers in Florida.

So I decided to get my dream sedan, a rear-wheel drive Jaguar XF 5.0 last October. So I did, now that I'll be living in Florida I have no need for the Audi. I transfered the Audi's lease docs to my dad.

So the Z is being driven down first. I'll return to NYC in about 3 weeks and will load up the Jag and then drive that down later in May, which will be my last road trip.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. The Jag trip should be quite the road trip. I did STL -> San Antonio two summers ago and gunning down Oklahoma's seemingly abandoned highways was a lot of fun. I'm sure the east coast trek is much curvier.

AlphaSnake

Ah, thanks for clarifying. The Jag trip should be quite the road trip. I did STL -> San Antonio two summers ago and gunning down Oklahoma's seemingly abandoned highways was a lot of fun. I'm sure the east coast trek is much curvier.

Yeah, I'm certain the Jaguar drive will be smooth and easy and plus my wife will be able to drive it if I ever get tired. I expect the Z drive to be tiring if I hit traffic or the roads aren't to my liking in certain spots.

Watevaman

If you're going through DC/Baltimore there will be some roads your car doesn't like. I don't know when your trip is but there will probably be a lot of traffic in DC this weekend since it's the cherry blossom "festival."

TylerD

Yeah, you can get away with a lot on rural Oklahoma highways. Unfortunately there aren't many curves unless you are in Northeastern of Southeastern parts of the state.

So the difficulty of getting a manual trans car up on ramps escalates when you are doing it on a hill...

E1phqvtl.jpg

Why yes, I did drive right over the front of them! Now I need new Rhino Ramps and a couple of side skirt clips. Those side skirts are pretty robust.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
And we're done. No, none of the packaging tape is touching the paint, it's just there to hold down the masking tape from peeling and flailing around.

IvlR1Cj.jpg

It's not pretty, but it'll get the job done and it'll come off in one pull when I reach my house :)

Bonus, your car can now also shit itself safely and comfortably.

Some insect chitin is literally harder and sharper than a rock. So Nissan's paint may well be garbage, I dunno, but you can blame Mother Nature first.

Finally got my Cobb Accessport to start tuning my Mazdaspeed 3... car has really woken up already, and I'm fine tuning right now to reach my boost target of 16.5 while completely stock. I can only imagine how nice it will be when I have an intake.

Went to toyota... apparently the 2 fr-s's they got were sold earlier in the day >,<

test drove a tC.. I don't get why this is popular with the kids. Seems just like a corolla with higher insurance rates.

at least I got the $25 gift card.

I'm still not too sure why this is popular... or is so accident prone. It doesn't feel like a mustang or something that makes you wanna slam it.

Or maybe its just because its popular car for teenagers, and teenagers just suck at driving.

huh. Now that I think about it, still haven't had a ticket or accident yet since I got my permit... 2006? It's gonna all build up and end up with me driving into a roof of a house someday though.

Yeah. It's heavily marketed at first car buyers and for parents to buy their children (Scion's sales always go up at the end of the school year)
The insurance for that car is INSANE. It's like Subie STI levels for basically a cheap commuter car.

Enron

Banned
Or maybe its just because its popular car for teenagers, and teenagers just suck at driving.

Ding ding ding.

And they attract (or turn their drivers into) HUGE assholes. Kids think they've got a racecar. I had one rev his engine at me in the next lane like he wanted to drag on 10th street once.

It's still a 20k car o_O. Some generous parents around.

Parents never bought me a car. I doubt i'd have any if my cousin didn't pass her prizm down to me.

When I graduated from college, my dad celebrated by buying himself a car though!

Enron

Banned
It's still a 20k car o_O. Some generous parents around.

Parents never bought me a car. I doubt i'd have any if my cousin didn't pass her prizm down to me.

When I graduated from college, my dad celebrated by buying himself a car though!

You assume parents are all buying these things new. It's been out for a bit now.

ascii42

You assume parents are all buying these things new. It's been out for a bit now.

Somebody had to buy them new. Used cars don't just pop up out of the ground. Except Volvo wagons, those manifest somewhere in Sweden with a hundred and something thousand miles already on them.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
It was a beautiful day today - 70, breezy, blue skies. Decided I'd kill a little time car shopping. Hit up a local Chevy dealership to take a look at their pre-owned Camaros, but they only had V-6 models on the lots. Though a white Challenger R/T grabbed my eye.

A salesman quickly approached, we kicked the shit, and he asked if I wanted to test drive it. I was honest with him; told him I had driven one before, wasn't going to buy anything today, and didn't need to waste his time. He pushed a little, and I said it was okay. He asked again... fine, I suppose I won't argue at this point, lol.

Took it on the freeway, he said have some fun, so I floored it from 0-90mph. Unfortunately, it was an auto - but the paddle shifters definitely add some fun. Spun the tires in 1st, and had chirps in 2nd and 3rd. It's not ZOMGWTF fast by any means; but it definitely has some great "throwback" power when you get on it. And the engine roar and exhaust is surprisingly deep for stock.

Price wasn't too bad, either. 2012 in mint condition and perfect Carfax. $28.9, less than 10K miles. I'd imagine talking it down to ~$27K wouldn't be hard at all. Had chrome rims, spoiler, metallic gas cap, etc. Interior was pretty baseline - but still had stuff like Bluetooth. Being 6'2" and 250lbs, I also appreciate the space benefits against the Camaro. Really, the only complaint I have is with the power - again, it's got some torque - but the Camaro and Mustang definitely feel faster.

I just got a promotion about a year earlier than I was expecting. And I'm busting my ass hoping to get another about four years earlier than I thought I would. I'm not holding my breath - and we all know that with finances, anything could go wrong tomorrow, so I don't want to expect anything. But man, *IF* everything worked out over the next 6-18 months, I could really see myself splurging on one of these.

Crappy pic of it:

8626934454_568b4f60d7_c.jpg

J-Rzez

You'd be surprised how basically all manufacturers paint is shitty. My 3-stage HoK Kandy Apple Red paintjob held up better than any factory finish I've experienced thus far. It's even better the first time I ran a DAP on my Evo the pad turned blue when I ran the mirrors lol.

FStop7

Banned
I'm still not too sure why this is popular... or is so accident prone. It doesn't feel like a mustang or something that makes you wanna slam it.

huh. Now that I think about it, still haven't had a ticket or accident yet since I got my permit... 2006? It's gonna all build up and end up with me driving into a roof of a house someday though.

Because it's popular with the highest risk drivers (young, inexperienced)

That's why STi and Evo insurance rates are so high, too.

Thanks for the heads up about this, there were so many sick cars there. Can't believe I didn't know about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom