• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

Just discovered a rock chip on my front bumper and windshield. I am devastated--car is just three months old.

Clear bra vs regular bra, anyone?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I always liked a bra on the old early 90s Camaro and Mustang. They look outdated nowadays, though.

Forsete

Just discovered a rock chip on my front bumper and windshield. I am devastated--car is just three months old.

I feel your pain.
Got my first rock chip in the middle of the hood. Ugh.

Bought the touch up paint kit from the dealer and I managed to make it look pretty good.
Still it annoys me.

giga

I always liked a bra on the old early 90s Camaro and Mustang. They look outdated nowadays, though.
Yeah, they're definitely not pretty. Some people have said it can scratch the paint itself when sand and grime gets under there. I think I'll go with a 3M clear bra on the front bumper and hood.

I feel your pain.
Got my first rock chip in the middle of the hood. Ugh.

Bought the touch up paint kit from the dealer and I managed to make it look pretty good.
Still it annoys me.
:(

Yeah, I'll need to touch it up and seal it soon so it doesn't rust or further crack. Sigh.

Did you guys talk about the 2014 Camaro yet?

0akpfp4q.jpg

I've been wanting to buy a new car this fall, and I was most likely going to get a 2014 Camaro, but yuck! I'm pretty disappointed. Why one earth would they change those tail lights?

I guess its good tho because now I can just get a used 2013 and save a lot of money.

It looks like a prelude now.

I am disappointed, I saw a nice orange 350z on my CL with 60k miles on it for 10k.
Called the guy up and he had just sold the car.

Guess its not meant to be.

It looks like such uninspired, bland shit now.

All for the sake of keeping the Corvette a unique butterfly. I mean, I'm ok with the tradeoff, the better car finally got good looking taillights, but the new Camaro looked so good. RIP 2009-2012.

Smokey

Test drove 2014 Mustang GT with Recardo seats. I liked it. Interior isn't the best but it was good enough for me and the seats were nice. Loved the engine and the noise it makes, and the power you get with that V8. I have a couple more cars to test drive, but so far I think the Stang might be out front. GT Premium with Recardo seats, Brembo package and I think I'd be good to go. Was my second test drive, and the fiancé liked her drive as well. She's pretty opinionated about cars, so this was a good thing.

Only thing that gives me pause is the 2015 Mustang which will be all new. Then again I've been reading that they may do away with the V8 in favor of a V6 twin turbo? Who knows..

0akpfp4q.jpg

I've been wanting to buy a new car this fall, and I was most likely going to get a 2014 Camaro, but yuck! I'm pretty disappointed. Why one earth would they change those tail lights?

I guess its good tho because now I can just get a used 2013 and save a lot of money.

Meh, looks weird now.

coldfoot

Banned

You can also get a new 2013 and save a lot of money too. Not as much as getting used, but you'd be getting a brand new car.

Also I could never understand the people who use non-clear bra. They must be thinking "I don't want bugs and chips on my car, so I'll just make my car ugly instead..."

asdad123

Anyone here own an Audi q5? I'm looking to pick up a new car around October (little early graduation gift to myself) and want to get a higher end SUV. Once this semester is over, I'll be going to dealerships for some test drives, but I've really heard nothing bad about the Q5. Wondering if anyone here drove one.

I've been looking at certified q5s and 2010s with about 25k miles go for about $33k with the premium plus package (hopefully around 30k with haggling) which is very affordable for me. Hopefully by the time I'm picking one up, certified 2011s will be around that price.

Any other suggestions for similar cars under 35k?

Ill be trading in a car that'll hopefully net me about 15k trade in and will have another 5-10k as a down payment.

Log4Girlz

0akpfp4q.jpg

Wow what a joke. Those tail lights look like they could come off any cheap as fuck $10k car. They probably thought "Wow we could saves hundreds of dollars per car and the name will carry it". Disgusting.

ascii42

Wow what a joke. Those tail lights look like they could come off any cheap as fuck $10k car. They probably thought "Wow we could saves hundreds of dollars per car and the name will carry it". Disgusting.

I doubt those are cheaper than the previous ones. It says the RS version gets LEDs.

N-Bomb

You can also get a new 2013 and save a lot of money too. Not as much as getting used, but you'd be getting a brand new car.

Also I could never understand the people who use non-clear bra. They must be thinking "I don't want bugs and chips on my car, so I'll just make my car ugly instead..."

People put cases on their iPhones...

Just touch-up the chips.

whens the last time a car looked better after a refresh?

S14 Silvia, GD Impreza, to name two.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I think it looks better. Retro needs to fucking die. Y'all are driving the spiritual successor to the PT Cruiser.

Log4Girlz

I think it looks better. Retro needs to fucking die. Y'all are driving the spiritual successor to the PT Cruiser.

If someone showed me a close up tease shot of the tail lights and told me it was off the new Cobalt, I'd believe them. There's nothing distinguishing about them. It could come off any cheap vehicle in the world IMO.

0akpfp4q.jpg

Those taillights
Why!?

DoomGyver

I've been searching for a new truck with a manual transmission, and it looks like the only option is a Dodge 2500/3500 turbo diesel.. I'm not buying a Dodge.

Where oh where have the manuals gone?

cajunator

Banned
ohhhhhh my god.
On the way to work this evening I saw a white Aventador roadster.
This car is beautiful in pictures, but I nearly ran a red light I was so mesmerized.
It is drop dead fucking gorgeous.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Those taillights
Why!?
The 2014 Corvette design is so shitty that the shittiness has trickled down throughout the brand and has thus forced the Camaro to change after stealing it's tail lights.

But you guys are still weird for comparing it to the Prelude instead of the old Camaro. I still see more Camaro in it than Prelude, and I'm not an old man.

Log4Girlz

The 2014 Corvette design is so shitty that the shittiness has trickled down throughout the brand and has thus forced the Camaro to change after stealing it's tail lights.

But you guys are still weird for comparing it to the Prelude instead of the old Camaro. I still see more Camaro in it than Prelude, and I'm not an old man.

Its the whole aesthetic package. This is a plain as hell square back end with plain tail lights. Its plain plastered on plain. Boring ZZZzzz. Safe and boring.

MisterNoisy

I've been searching for a new truck with a manual transmission, and it looks like the only option is a Dodge 2500/3500 turbo diesel.. I'm not buying a Dodge.

Where oh where have the manuals gone?

I think you can technically get a Nissan Frontier - the last honest small truck now that the Ranger is dead - with a stick (good luck finding one), but if you want a big truck, I think you might be out of luck.

TylerD

What are you guys impressions on the 2013 Dodge Dart?

A pretty good looking car with some interesting equipment (TFT panel guage cluster with configurable themes) that seems to be getting over looked.

I have only seen 1 on the road so far a black one.

You would probably be able to get a decent discount.

Review: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/04/2013-dodge-dart-review/

-----------------

7 months after I bought mine, a white 330ci ZHP 6MT finally showed up. No hard feelings because Mystic Blue is very fine indeed.

It probably sold in a couple of days and for a nice premium due to that Alpine White. The grey leather is a much better combo with blue.

http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?id=4505&form_display=51#.UWI9f5OG18E

sqUEMm3.jpg

They have a Oxford Green on brown leather ZHP sedan.

http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?id=4527&form_display=51#.UWJAWpOG18E

Garryk

Got a new car this weekend.

brpJK30.jpg

I never really like the saddle interior until I saw it in a white car. With the deal I got, I couldn't pass it up.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Nav is useless (use your phone)

Derp:

Why using Google Maps for driving directions is illegal in California

Spriggs appealed the citation, but according to Digital Trends, Judge Kent Hamlin of the Fresno County Superior Court has ruled against him. Hamlin's eight-page decision asserted that the law prohibiting drivers from using their hands to operate their cellphones to make calls and send texts didn't mean they could manually operate their phones for some other purpose, like getting directions; Hamlin reasoned that the law's intent was to prevent all manual operation of the cellphone to curb distracted driving.

Hamlin felt this even though Sprigg argued that when the original law specified voice calls, it was felt necessary to append the law to add texting to its purview. Using that example, if the law didn't specify the other operations it covered, then it shouldn't apply to those other operations. Hamlin's decision countered that there was no legislative history that demonstrated the bill's original supporters didn't want texting covered by the law originally, and that since the purpose of the "plain language" of the law is to eliminate the distraction of manually using one's phone while driving, that any such use is automatically covered.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/08/why-using-google-maps-for-driving-directions-is-illegal-in-calif/

yeah... I haven't found a gps system that is more useful/intuitive than google maps on my phone. And it pains me that some cars have gps nav thingie as standard because that just means I have to pay for it. Give me a brz limited without a nav please.

Wait if that law is true, how is tesla S legal? Doesn't it use google maps?

ascii42

yeah... I haven't found a gps system that is more useful/intuitive than google maps on my phone. And it pains me that some cars have gps nav thingie as standard because that just means I have to pay for it. Give me a brz limited without a nav please.

Wait if that law is true, how is tesla S legal? Doesn't it use google maps?

The law prevents you from messing with your phone while driving. It has nothing to do with Google Maps specifically. Built-in navigation systems are fine (though some prevent you from messing with them while driving too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom